Colossal TV Show thread

shmenguin

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby shmenguin » Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:06 am

on my first watch, i actually tuned out the acting class. the tone really takes some getting used to. season 2 crystallizes it, though.

DigitalGypsy66

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:08 am

Again, if you liked Barry, give Patriot a shot. It's so good...and I need more people to talk about it with.

nocera

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby nocera » Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:35 am

Again, if you liked Barry, give Patriot a shot. It's so good...and I need more people to talk about it with.
Great show. I enjoyed season 1 more than 2.
In season 1, the songs advanced the story AND made sense within the world since John was performing them around the town. In season 2, they didn't fit and felt more like an afterthought. Also, I wasn't too big on John spending most of season 2 out of it with a concussion.

MWB

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby MWB » Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:35 am

Just started watching You on Netflix. It’s a pretty good show so far.

shafnutz05

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:14 pm

on my first watch, i actually tuned out the acting class. the tone really takes some getting used to. season 2 crystallizes it, though.
Yup, the acting class was the least favorite part of the show for me, but it got better for me as the season went on. Looking forward to starting S2.

nocera

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby nocera » Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:21 pm

Yup, the acting class was the least favorite part of the show for me, but it got better for me as the season went on. Looking forward to starting S2.
Spending a lot of time around actors and participating in other creative workshops (not acting), it struck me just how much they NAILED those scenes. I was a big fan of the acting class stuff.

shafnutz05

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:28 pm

Even not knowing the ins and outs about the scary world of acting, I knew well enough that they did a great job nailing it. Cousineau's character is fantastic, especially with the contrast of how the class looks up to him, and his real-life status as a washed-up actor reading for bit parts.

DigitalGypsy66

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:28 pm

Great show. I enjoyed season 1 more than 2.
In season 1, the songs advanced the story AND made sense within the world since John was performing them around the town. In season 2, they didn't fit and felt more like an afterthought. Also, I wasn't too big on John spending most of season 2 out of it with a concussion.
They are working on getting Amazon to do a third season, but the creator has been busy with other shows with a lot of the same actors. Perpetual Grace LTD., but it's on Epix...which means fewer people will see it than Patriot. :lol:

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby count2infinity » Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:12 am

shafnutz05

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:52 am

I am going to hate a world that is made up of countless streaming services. Honestly, as long as I can continue to get On Demand through Xfinity, I think paying for our cable package is going to look more and more attractive. We would never get rid of it just because it's a luxury that we're happy to budget for (and we watch a ton of live sports), but the thought of logging into 12 different streaming services is awful.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby count2infinity » Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:54 am

I think this is just a natural progression of the business. More and more are trying to get their piece of the pie and eventually everyone is going to come back together and we'll see 2 or 3 of the strong survive.

Kane

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby Kane » Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:56 am

Piracy will be on the uptick again.

DigitalGypsy66

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:03 am

I read that only two of the top ten most streamed shows on Netflix are produced by Netflix themselves - Stranger Things (which ends next season, iirc) and Ozark. That's not a good.

dodint

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby dodint » Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:16 am

I actively avoid Netflix shows and, as such, have been less and less satisfied by the service over time as they heavily promote their original content.

Their willingness to cancel a show immediately is part of the reason I don't get into them.

Dickie Dunn

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby Dickie Dunn » Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:25 am

**** Netflix and **** them for cancelling Santa Clarita Diet. If Netflix made The Office they would have cancelled it after the first season.

nocera

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby nocera » Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:30 am

Let's be honest, if NBC made the office today it would've been cancelled after the first season. My streaming subs are going to be "as needed" moving forward. New season of Stranger Things? Sub to Netflix for a month then cancel. Handmaid's Tale? Wait til the entire season is available and sub to Hulu for a month. And so on... As for the older shows like The Office and Parks and Rec that are fun to watch when nothing else is around, either buy the physical media or buy on iTunes to keep the ease of streaming. Or pirate. Yeah, probably pirate.

DigitalGypsy66

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:32 am

Speaking of streaming service shows, I finished Hulu's Catch 22 remake last night.

Christopher Abbott was great as Yossarian, and Kyle Chandler was excellent as Cathcart. The bombing runs CGI was excellent, and it was cool seeing all of the B-25s.

The book uses a lot of flashbacks and telling the story out of order, but the series basically tells the story in order (with a few flashbacks here and there). I've been reading the book while watching the show, so it was a little disjointed for me.

All in all, it was OK. I've watched much, much worse shows for longer periods of time. :lol:

dodint

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby dodint » Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:35 am

I would be better with multiple streaming services if my FireStick(s) would curate my logins for me. But I swear about once a month I have to go and re-authenticate multiple apps. It has a function that tries to do it but it's clearly not working.

Dickie Dunn

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby Dickie Dunn » Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:36 am

I'll continue to have Prime and I imagine I'll be a monthly subscriber to Disney+ and probably whatever kind of ESPN and Hulu package they offer along with it. Everything else will either be as needed or a purchase for heavily rewatched shows like The Office. I'm sure as soon as The Office leaves Netflix and NBCUniversal is raring to go, Amazon will magically have every season available at a huge discount.

MWB

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby MWB » Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:40 am

I would be better with multiple streaming services if my FireStick(s) would curate my logins for me. But I swear about once a month I have to go and re-authenticate multiple apps. It has a function that tries to do it but it's clearly not working.
That sounds annoying. I’ve never had to do that on roku, but really only use Netflix and amazon, along with a short stint with Hulu.

NTP66

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby NTP66 » Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:40 am

The user experience with multiple services is garbage on any platform because there’s no unified experience portal where you can search for what you want to watch and then go right into that program on the selected platform. Apple was trying to do that, but they want deep API access which other content providers are unwilling to provide (understandably so). TiVo does an okay job with Prime integration, allowing me to go right into the content, but that’s it. Can’t do that with Netflix or anyone else.

If somebody created a unified interface for all streaming services (it’ll never happen), they’d make a killing.

nocera

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby nocera » Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:44 am

Apple's integration is pretty good, to be honest. I can go into the TV app and search for any movie/tv show and it'll let me know if it's available and on what platform (including Netflix now), which I can then open directly from the TV app. It does a decent job with the "Up Next" feature so I can quickly see what episode I'm on and jump right in from the AppleTV home screen. This feature doesn't work with Netflix, however. I use it for Prime, HBO, and Hulu.

dodint

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby dodint » Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:45 am

For now I just use www.justwatch.com/us on my tablet when I'm looking for something.

NTP66

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby NTP66 » Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:46 am

Does it just open the platform, or does it go directly to that show and start playing? TiVo has a similar feature where it’ll show which of my connected services the show is available on, and I can open it directly from there, but I don’t believe it goes directly to the show. I’d have to give it a try to see if that changed since I last used it.

dodint

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby dodint » Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:48 am

It's just a website acting as a catalog. It's not integrated into anything. That's what I meant by 'on my tablet.' I read the tablet and then click through menus manually.

The horror. ;)