Colossal TV Show thread

tifosi77

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby tifosi77 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:40 pm

A movie version of this wouldn't do it justice, I'm glad they're going the serialized route and that Druck is steering the story ship. Guy's something of a savant.

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:47 pm

My kids have watched every episode of the old one and have already binged through the new ones

dodint

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby dodint » Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:38 pm

Pavel Bure

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby Pavel Bure » Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:21 pm

I was very late to the party for The Mandolorian but dang if this isn’t what I was hoping the current generation of Starwars was gonna be. The only movie that lived up to that expectation was Rogue One.

I really like the feel of the show though. I guess I’m partial to Westerns.

blackjack68

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby blackjack68 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:04 pm

I was very late to the party for The Mandolorian but dang if this isn’t what I was hoping the current generation of Starwars was gonna be. The only movie that lived up to that expectation was Rogue One.

I really like the feel of the show though. I guess I’m partial to Westerns.
Lots of Mando discussion and spoilers in the Star Wars thread too.

nocera

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby nocera » Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:17 pm

This season of Fargo sucks.

eddy

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby eddy » Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:38 am

3 episodes in to the good lord bird and this show is really really great. Daveed Diggs just showed up as frederick douglass.

NAN

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby NAN » Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:29 am

10 years later, I just started the Pacific. Not as good as Band of Brothers, but decent.

The things these guys went through though, man.

DigitalGypsy66

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:45 am

Yeah, The Pacific is pretty good though. Not nearly on the level of BoB, but pretty close.

Finished the first (last?) season of The Right Stuff. I enjoyed it, but you could really tell it was a low budget afterthought. Small sets, decent but not outstanding special effects, and so on. None of the grandeur of the film or From the Earth to the Moon.

I read that The Right Stuff and Amazon's Nazi Hunters show with Al Pacino applied for and got into the big tax break program and potentially will move production from Florida and New York City respectively for their next seasons. The Right Stuff has not been officially renewed though, and it would be cool to actually see to the end of the Gemini/Mercury crews, maybe even setup an Apollo show like From the Earth to the Moon.

Dickie Dunn

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby Dickie Dunn » Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:05 am

I need to go back and watch The Pacific. I was so amped for it coming out that I re-watched BoB before, which really made The Pacific pale in comparison.

dodint

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby dodint » Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:12 am

Make sure you have a TV that can render blacks really well. I had an rear projection TV back then and recall that minutes would go by without being able to make out the action. :lol:

NTP66

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby NTP66 » Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:33 am

5 days later, I have finally completed my download of The Shield seasons 3-7. All hail seeders, who are the real heroes.

Dickie Dunn

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby Dickie Dunn » Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:57 am

Make sure you have a TV that can render blacks really well. I had an rear projection TV back then and recall that minutes would go by without being able to make out the action. :lol:
I do remember dodinting about that the first time I watched it lol

NAN

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby NAN » Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:06 am

Racist.

MrKennethTKangaroo

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:07 am

I need to go back and watch The Pacific. I was so amped for it coming out that I re-watched BoB before, which really made The Pacific pale in comparison.
BoB was really a lesson on leadership. The pacific was a lesson on bleakness.

NAN

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby NAN » Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:08 am

Don't get me wrong, the Pacific is really good. But I hold BoB up there as one of my all time favorite shows/movies. It is just that good IMO.

Agree, with Dodint though, there is a lot of night action.

I just try to picture what those guys went through. Constant rain, mud, disease, little supplies, stuck on an island surrounded by an unseen enemy for the most part. The interviews with the real life individuals, man. Japanese bombers just bombing to keep them awake at night.

Gaucho

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby Gaucho » Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:15 am

Much like Alien to Aliens. I enjoyed both Aliens and The Pacific, but talk about high bars ...

dodint

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby dodint » Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:28 am

Don't get me wrong, the Pacific is really good. But I hold BoB up there as one of my all time favorite shows/movies. It is just that good IMO.

I just try to picture what those guys went through. Constant rain, mud, disease, little supplies, stuck on an island surrounded by an unseen enemy for the most part. The interviews with the real life individuals, man. Japanese bombers just bombing to keep them awake at night.
If you haven't read it, I encourage you to read Sledge's With The Old Breed. It's very well done. Sad that he wrote it and held onto it until the end of his life and decided to publish it at the coaxing of his family. Just an amazing account all around.

DigitalGypsy66

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:58 am

Bob Leckie's book "Helmet for a Pillow" is also very good.

(The audiobook is read by the actor who plays him on the show, so that's pretty cool)

Dickie Dunn

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby Dickie Dunn » Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:00 pm

I’m sure there’s a lot of personal bias due to historial significance and appreciation/admiration for the men involved (all WWII vets in general), but for me Band of Brothers will always top the list as the greatest movie, tv show, or miniseries ever made. The personal interviews get me every time. My grandfather (and one of his brothers) fought in Europe, so that was always my focal point and it’s the focal point of what gets taught in school about WWII.

My grandfathers brother was a Marine in Iwo Jima and I always wanted to learn more about the pacific theater, but The Pacific just isn’t BoB. From a storytelling perspective, I just didn’t develop the emotional attachment I did with BoB due to the focal points bouncing around.

DigitalGypsy66

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:52 pm

If you want your WWII TV series fix, I posted this a few pages ago, but Netflix has a new limited series called "The Liberator" based on the Alex Kershaw book of the same name. It traces a US soldier's journey through North Africa, Sicily, Italy, France, and Germany. The book was excellent, and the show is interesting...

It is actually animated, probably to save money on special effects and location shooting. It's distracting at first, but once you get past it (if you can), it's a pretty good show. Nothing on the same level as BoB or the Pacific, naturally. I wish the characters were more fleshed out, and probably needed a few more episodes to tell the whole story. Worth checking out, and only four episodes.

NAN

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby NAN » Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:02 pm

I’m sure there’s a lot of personal bias due to historial significance and appreciation/admiration for the men involved (all WWII vets in general), but for me Band of Brothers will always top the list as the greatest movie, tv show, or miniseries ever made. The personal interviews get me every time. My grandfather (and one of his brothers) fought in Europe, so that was always my focal point and it’s the focal point of what gets taught in school about WWII.

My grandfathers brother was a Marine in Iwo Jima and I always wanted to learn more about the pacific theater, but The Pacific just isn’t BoB. From a storytelling perspective, I just didn’t develop the emotional attachment I did with BoB due to the focal points bouncing around.
What's funny is my grandfather was in the south pacific during the war in the Navy. Fortunately he didn't see any fighting but he was out there during a lot of what is going on in the Pacific. And my great Uncle who I was close with was in Africa.

But my interest has always been in the European theater and not where two of my relatives I was close with were.

I just always still think, now that I have kids and they are starting to learn about some of this (my oldest), they won't know anyone who was a part of WWII. The guys that fought in that war were in their late 50s/early 60s when I was a kid, and I just wish I appreciated it more. Now that the people I knew who were in the war are all gone, I just wish I could have asked them more questions, etc. Both my grandpa and my great uncle were very open about it. I was just a kid/teenager/early 20s and worried more about Nintendo, girls and then beer than hearing their stories and I kick myself for that.

NAN

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby NAN » Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:03 pm

If you haven't read it, I encourage you to read Sledge's With The Old Breed. It's very well done. Sad that he wrote it and held onto it until the end of his life and decided to publish it at the coaxing of his family. Just an amazing account all around.
I may do that over the holidays. I love reading those things.

PFiDC

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby PFiDC » Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:18 pm

What's funny is my grandfather was in the south pacific during the war in the Navy. Fortunately he didn't see any fighting but he was out there during a lot of what is going on in the Pacific. And my great Uncle who I was close with was in Africa.

But my interest has always been in the European theater and not where two of my relatives I was close with were.

I just always still think, now that I have kids and they are starting to learn about some of this (my oldest), they won't know anyone who was a part of WWII. The guys that fought in that war were in their late 50s/early 60s when I was a kid, and I just wish I appreciated it more. Now that the people I knew who were in the war are all gone, I just wish I could have asked them more questions, etc. Both my grandpa and my great uncle were very open about it. I was just a kid/teenager/early 20s and worried more about Nintendo, girls and then beer than hearing their stories and I kick myself for that.
I used to volunteer for Spirit of '45 and our mission was to interview as many WWII vets as we could to get their stories recorded. I got to sit in on dozens of interviews and man, the stories these guys have. At that time we were losing about 300 WWII vets PER DAY.

the wicked child

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby the wicked child » Mon Nov 23, 2020 4:36 pm

@Dickie Dunn

I concur with the emotional attachment thing for BOB vs TP.

With BoB they go through the whole training process and by the time they see action, you already know these characters well.

With TP, it's more of a throw them into the fire and develop them over time... (possibly to avoid too much repetition between the shows)

I prefer the former as it tends to create stronger bonds with the characters from the get go. The latter is certainly a valid way of doing it, but I typically prefer the other.

TP is certainly a great display of just how brutal things were there, but w/o the same bond with the characters, it hurts it a bit overall.

Both are great though.