Colossal TV Show thread

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby count2infinity » Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:34 pm

Just finished Season 6 of OITNB...
Such a bullsh*t anticlimactic ending. Ohhhh, the two terrible people running the place kill each other, and everyone gets along because of kickball.

That said, the season itself was okay. I think they were hoping it'd be more impactful than it actually was, but by and large it just ended up with me shrugging and saying "yup... figured as much."

Luschek continues to be my favorite, even if he doesn't have anything close to a spine.

Badison is the worst character they've introduced thus far. I'm not sure if it's because she's really that terrible or if it's because when I was teaching high school I had a kid in my class that was pretty much exactly her without the Boston accent and I dreaded every day that I had to teach that class.

Dickie Dunn

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby Dickie Dunn » Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:03 pm

Finished season 4 of Bosch
Loved how the mayor got duped at the nothingburger protest. Bosch set that up with J.
Edgar. It wasn't luck. Sheehan got screwed over in Bloodline and this show.
I loved it. Thought it was the best season so far.
I figured something was going to go wrong with Eleanor, but didn't expect her to get killed so early in the season. Loved the death of the KTK and loved that Crate and Barrell solved the case, but wish it got a bit more screen time. The last two episodes did an excellent job with the tension. The mayor getting duped was great. One of my favorite changes from the books I've read is what they've done with Edgar. He's a better cop and a more loyal partner, fighting through Harry's stream of bullshit, than how he is presented in the books.
Such a bullsh*t anticlimactic ending. Ohhhh, the two terrible people running the place kill each other, and everyone gets along because of kickball.

That said, the season itself was okay. I think they were hoping it'd be more impactful than it actually was, but by and large it just ended up with me shrugging and saying "yup... figured as much."

Luschek continues to be my favorite, even if he doesn't have anything close to a spine.

Badison is the worst character they've introduced thus far. I'm not sure if it's because she's really that terrible or if it's because when I was teaching high school I had a kid in my class that was pretty much exactly her without the Boston accent and I dreaded every day that I had to teach that class.
I'm pretty much of the same opinion as you. The season was fine I guess. Same Jenji Kohan spiral as Weeds where they are trying to make the show bigger and more important than it really is. The entire season was kinda bullshit though as the plot primarily revolved around two prisoners who were essentially cartoon characters, who we never met before, didn't give two shits about at any point in the season, and now they're dead and this meaningless plot is resolved because of kickball. Whatever.

Luschek is always a highlight. Badison is the worst thing in modern history and is only made worse by that horrific attempt at a Boston accent.

The one thing that really aggravated me this season was the complete abandonment of the timeline present in the series. Based on when Piper went in and comments regarding how much prison time characters have left, Season 5 would have taken place in Fall 2015, but the writers wanted to be lazy, ignore their previous constraints, and do Trump social commentary so now its suddenly 2017ish.
We finished Big Little Lies last night. Took us about 4 months to get through the first 4 episodes and a single night to get through the final 3. The show was so damn slow at times, but overall it was pretty good, but not nearly as good as you would expect with that cast.

PFiDC

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby PFiDC » Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:35 pm

SJW: We demand more LGBTQ characters.
Okay here is a lesbian batwoman played by an actual lesbian.
SJW: SHE'S NOT FULL LESBIAN!!!! QUIT MISCASTING OUR GROUP!!!!!!!!!!!
Except she isn't a lesbian. She's bisexual.

Point stands though. The LGBTQ community (and from what I've seen it's not most of the community) saying she needs to quit is ridiculous.

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:54 pm

Finished season 4 of Bosch
Loved how the mayor got duped at the nothingburger protest. Bosch set that up with J.
Edgar. It wasn't luck. Sheehan got screwed over in Bloodline and this show.
I loved it. Thought it was the best season so far.
I figured something was going to go wrong with Eleanor, but didn't expect her to get killed so early in the season. Loved the death of the KTK and loved that Crate and Barrell solved the case, but wish it got a bit more screen time. The last two episodes did an excellent job with the tension. The mayor getting duped was great. One of my favorite changes from the books I've read is what they've done with Edgar. He's a better cop and a more loyal partner, fighting through Harry's stream of bullshit, than how he is presented in the books.

I'm pretty much of the same opinion as you. The season was fine I guess. Same Jenji Kohan spiral as Weeds where they are trying to make the show bigger and more important than it really is. The entire season was kinda bullshit though as the plot primarily revolved around two prisoners who were essentially cartoon characters, who we never met before, didn't give two shits about at any point in the season, and now they're dead and this meaningless plot is resolved because of kickball. Whatever.

Luschek is always a highlight. Badison is the worst thing in modern history and is only made worse by that horrific attempt at a Boston accent.

The one thing that really aggravated me this season was the complete abandonment of the timeline present in the series. Based on when Piper went in and comments regarding how much prison time characters have left, Season 5 would have taken place in Fall 2015, but the writers wanted to be lazy, ignore their previous constraints, and do Trump social commentary so now its suddenly 2017ish.
We finished Big Little Lies last night. Took us about 4 months to get through the first 4 episodes and a single night to get through the final 3. The show was so damn slow at times, but overall it was pretty good, but not nearly as good as you would expect with that cast.
much agreed on Edgar as well as what they did with his ex-wife. Also, I love Crate and Barrel and was glad to see them get the guy in that way, also liked the lady Lt. The protest thing was so well done.

tifosi77

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:26 pm

SJW: We demand more LGBTQ characters.
Okay here is a lesbian batwoman played by an actual lesbian.
SJW: SHE'S NOT FULL LESBIAN!!!! QUIT MISCASTING OUR GROUP!!!!!!!!!!!
Except she isn't a lesbian. She's bisexual.

Point stands though. The LGBTQ community (and from what I've seen it's not most of the community) saying she needs to quit is ridiculous.
When I first read people were complaining about the Amber Rose casting, I presumed it was upset fuddy duddies worried about the presence of an out LGBTQ person in a super hero world. Not that LGTBQ people being snarked off about her being the wrong letter.

NTP66

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby NTP66 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:27 pm

Different thread, same problem: Twitter is the root of all evil.

NailedPenguin
Location: The biggest post, in the biggest thread, in the biggest forum in town. Wooooo!

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby NailedPenguin » Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:36 pm

What they probably mean is she's not >200 lbs with multi color hair who's occupation is attending pride rallies. I'd wager attractive lesbians aren't that welcome in the LGBTQ+ABABUPDOWNUPDOWNSELECTSTART community.

tifosi77

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:38 pm

:face:

dodint

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby dodint » Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:41 pm

NailedPenguin always delivers.

MrKennethTKangaroo

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:51 am

im trying ( for the second time) to get through season 4 of arrested development and it is a challenge. I just want to get to season 5

Lemon Berry Lobster

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:54 am

Is season 4 the one that was made 10 or whatever many years later?

Dickie Dunn

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby Dickie Dunn » Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:01 am

Is season 4 the one that was made 10 or whatever many years later?
Yes. Where they couldn’t get everyone together at the same time so episodes largely focused on a single character.

Lemon Berry Lobster

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:26 am

That season is pretty unwatchable.

nocera

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby nocera » Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:53 am

We just rewatched all of Arrested Development a few weeks ago and while season 4 is still the low point, the recut is MUCH better than the original version. Season 5 isn't much better, to be honest. When you binge all seasons, the dramatic dip in quality between the original run and the Netflix version is very noticeable. Hell, season 3 is a pretty decent drop-off from the first 2 seasons.

Dickie Dunn

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby Dickie Dunn » Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:55 am

I thought it was fine. I just don't have a desire to watch it again. Watching Season 5 hasn't even really hit my radar yet. Probably gonna wait until I can binge them all.

There is the newly recut version of Season 4 which attempts to put it in a normal format. I might give that one a shot.

robbiestoupe

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby robbiestoupe » Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:57 pm

We watched maybe 2-3 episodes of season 5 and couldn't garner any interest. Netflix was also telling me that later episodes were only available on disc, so that helped keep me from being too invested.

Dickie Dunn

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby Dickie Dunn » Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:47 pm

HBO gave a full season order to Lindelof’s Watchmen show.

Cast: Regina King, Jeremy Irons, Don Johnson, Tim Blake Nelson, Louis Gossett Jr., Yahya Abdul-Mateen II, Adelaide Clemens, Andrew Howard, Tom Mison, Frances Fisher, Jacob Ming-Trent, Sara Vickers, Dylan Schombing, Lily Rose Smith and Adelynn Spoon.

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:26 pm

Netflix Cancels Michelle Wolf's Talk Show After Less Than Three Months
(link: http://mediaite.com/a/gmpba) mediaite.com/a/gmpba

dodint

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby dodint » Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:04 pm

Good, they can stop recommending it ad nauseam.

shafnutz05

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:36 pm

Jeremy Irons, Don Johnson, Tim Blake Nelson, Louis Gossett Jr.,
:shock:

Color me very intrigued. That is quite the grouping.

shafnutz05

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:38 pm

Netflix Cancels Michelle Wolf's Talk Show After Less Than Three Months
(link: http://mediaite.com/a/gmpba) mediaite.com/a/gmpba
That chick is aggressively unfunny.

NTP66

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby NTP66 » Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:11 am

I’m probably the only one here who watches it, but they cancelled Colony, which pisses me off. It was a good show.

Dickie Dunn

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby Dickie Dunn » Sat Aug 18, 2018 3:03 pm

Jeremy Irons, Don Johnson, Tim Blake Nelson, Louis Gossett Jr.,
:shock:

Color me very intrigued. That is quite the grouping.
Me as well. A commenter over at i09 jokingly said
Let me guess: Ozymandias’ ruse ushered in a new age of heroes... until the online release of Rorschach’s Journal - long the subject of conspiracy theories - shatters everyone’s faith in the public. I’m betting a few heroes may have unjustly killed a minority, leading to their being banned again. Now, 34 years after Ozymandias changed the world, in a much more cynical and dark time, some ex-hero, or a legacy hero, wants to find an aged Ozymandias (Irons) to find a way to save the world from itself again.
If it's something like that, especially with Irons as an aged Ozy, well then sign me up.

the wicked child

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby the wicked child » Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:30 pm

Rorschach was the only good part of that movie. F the rest.

eddy

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby eddy » Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:21 am

Blue dong