Colossal TV Show thread

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Thu May 17, 2018 8:04 am

I've been rewatching ChiPs on Amazon Prime and there is a lot more heavy subject matter on that show than I remember watching on re-runs as a kid.

Dickie Dunn

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby Dickie Dunn » Thu May 17, 2018 8:07 am

TheOneRing.net (a longtime source of reliable scuttlebutt related to Middle-earth) reports that the show’s first season is going to focus on a young Aragorn.
http://www.slashfilm.com/lord-of-the-ri ... s-aragorn/
I’m not a Tolkien devotee so I’m interested in seeing how they’re going to make me give a **** about a young Aragorn.
A lot of gratuitous dwarve on elf sex in the background
Probably not, lol. ;) Dwarves are a 2/3 male population - the women are scarce.
No wonder they’re so ornery.
Last edited by Dickie Dunn on Thu May 17, 2018 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lemon Berry Lobster

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Thu May 17, 2018 8:09 am

TheOneRing.net (a longtime source of reliable scuttlebutt related to Middle-earth) reports that the show’s first season is going to focus on a young Aragorn.
I’m not a Tolkien devotee so I’m interested in seeing how they’re going to make me give a **** about a young Aragorn.
No wonder their so ornery.
They gots all them teeth and no toothbrush.

eddy

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby eddy » Thu May 17, 2018 8:27 am

I didn't say anything about gender. Middle Earth gets freaky.

Silentom

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby Silentom » Thu May 17, 2018 8:28 am

I didn't say anything about gender. Middle Earth gets freaky.
:lol:

eddy

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby eddy » Thu May 17, 2018 8:35 am

Watched the first 2 episodes of Evil Genius (Pizza Collar Bomber in Erie). So far it's full blast crazy.

Lemon Berry Lobster

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Thu May 17, 2018 8:38 am

Watched the first 2 episodes of Evil Genius (Pizza Collar Bomber in Erie). So far it's full blast crazy.
So it is worth watching?

eddy

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby eddy » Thu May 17, 2018 8:41 am

So it is worth watching?
Through 2 episodes, I would say a strong yes. I also don't really remember the details of this, so maybe that's for the best? I'm thinking if I did remember the outcome, it would still be worth it. I love it so far because I honestly don't know if these people are really smart or just really dumb, but the ride is terrific!

Lemon Berry Lobster

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Thu May 17, 2018 8:46 am

So it is worth watching?
Through 2 episodes, I would say a strong yes. I also don't really remember the details of this, so maybe that's for the best? I'm thinking if I did remember the outcome, it would still be worth it. I love it so far because I honestly don't know if these people are really smart or just really dumb, but the ride is terrific!
They were pumping the tires on DVE and wasn't sure if it was that good. Thanks for the info, I'll need to check it out.

skullman80

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby skullman80 » Thu May 17, 2018 9:31 am

Watched all 4 in one sitting. Interesting stuff.

Dickie Dunn

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby Dickie Dunn » Thu May 17, 2018 10:03 am

DVE had the FBI agent on yesterday morning. Said the documentary is entertaining but leaves a ton of stuff out and he invites you to read his book on it as well.

NTP66

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby NTP66 » Thu May 17, 2018 2:41 pm

Lemon Berry Lobster

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Mon May 21, 2018 7:32 am

So it is worth watching?
I watched all four episodes last night. Definitely interesting but it seems like there is way more to the story as DD said there is a book.

The most shocking part to me was
They cut the pizza bomber's head off to preserve the handcuff like clamp :o

eddy

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby eddy » Mon May 21, 2018 7:34 am

So it is worth watching?
I watched all four episodes last night. Definitely interesting but it seems like there is way more to the story as DD said there is a book.

Agree, I enjoyed it, but it sorta of fizzled out by the end. That lady is disturbing.

Lemon Berry Lobster

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Mon May 21, 2018 7:45 am

So it is worth watching?

Agree, I enjoyed it, but it sorta of fizzled out by the end. That lady is disturbing.
It definitely lost some steam but it was pretty solid. Felt like the narrator wanted to lead you to a conclusion rather than letting what facts he presented decide your thoughts.

Dickie Dunn

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby Dickie Dunn » Mon May 21, 2018 10:36 am

So it is worth watching?

It definitely lost some steam but it was pretty solid. Felt like the narrator wanted to lead you to a conclusion rather than letting what facts he presented decide your thoughts.
We watched it over the weekend. Really enjoyed it. Thought the production value was high and it did a solid job delving into the case and explain what the hell was going on. Marge was a lunatic and bearded Bill gave me the creeps as well. Was a big fan of Cocaine Ken. I really appreciate when people give themselves a name that just puts their whole identity out there. Definitely lost steam in the last episode. The documentarian had a desired outcome that he wanted to get the viewer to believe. Gave the FBI agent interview on DVE another listen after finishing the show and found it more insightful once I knew what the hell he was actually referencing. I'm intrigued enough to consider reading the collection of words regarding the case. The Wikipedia page (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_Brian_Wells) for it also has some useful information that wasn't in the documentary, like Rothstein being implicated for destroying a murder weapon in 1977.

Spoilered thoughts:
- I do believe that Brian Wells had prior knowledge of what he was involved in. Agent Clark said on DVE that if the documentary presented all of the case information and testimony that his book does there's no way someone could think otherwise. Some of the stuff conveniently left out by the documentary are nicely summarized here: http://www.pajiba.com/netflix_movies_an ... ombing.php

- Even though there still seems to be some debate about it, to me there's no doubt that Marjorie was the mastermind with Rothstein serving as a very willing and capable second in command. It was disturbing how casually Rothstein talked about the process of transporting a dead body to his freezer and the plan to meat grinder him. The thought of even doing that would haunt me forever and for him it was like a Tuesday afternoon gone a bit awry.

- Hooking in Erie really seems to take its toll on ya.

- These people were all **** gross. The amount of hoarding going on was disgustingly impressive.

- It's crazy the series of events that took place to stop all of the information from coming out (ie: Rothstein's death, child predator's heart surgery, other pizza guy's OD, etc.)

- The documentary kept repeating that Cocaine Ken and Marge were insistent on Wells being a co-conspirator because that prevented them from being charged with murder, the death penalty, etc. and the makers of the documentary have been pretty public about "Justice for Brian". According to Agent Clark, that was the entire purpose of her being charged with "banking robbery resulting in death from a destructive device", which resulted in her sentence of life plus 30. It's not a direct charge for the murder of Brian Wells, but it's as close as they could get and resulted in the same outcome. Looking for a way to get these people the death penalty was never really a consideration.

eddy

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby eddy » Tue May 22, 2018 8:20 pm

AuthorTony

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby AuthorTony » Tue May 22, 2018 8:29 pm

The Staircase is pretty old. I enjoyed it the first time I saw it and wonder if they added anything new.

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Tue May 22, 2018 9:44 pm

I can't stop watching Unsolved Mysteries

dodint

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby dodint » Tue May 22, 2018 11:09 pm

I can't stop watching Unsolved Mysteries
Same.

NTP66

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby NTP66 » Wed May 23, 2018 6:24 pm

I know it was posted earlier that Gotham was renewed for season 5, but I just read that this will be the final season of the show, focusing on Bruce’s transformation into Batman. I’m glad that they’re getting a full season to end it on their own terms.

Dickie Dunn

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby Dickie Dunn » Thu May 24, 2018 10:10 am

The ramp up for season five of Arrested Development seems to be going well. Jeffrey Tambor being an dadhole, Jessica Walter crying, Jason Bateman apologizing on Twitter....

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/23/arts ... ambor.html

eddy

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby eddy » Thu May 24, 2018 10:16 am

The ramp up for season five of Arrested Development seems to be going well. Jeffrey Tambor being an dadhole, Jessica Walter crying, Jason Bateman apologizing on Twitter....

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/23/arts ... ambor.html
I also saw a review yesterday on the new season saying just go back and rewatch the original

Dickie Dunn

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby Dickie Dunn » Thu May 24, 2018 10:27 am

Cast revealed for the HBO Watchmen series, which isn't actually Watchmen but a series set in the world of Watchmen after Veidt's plan was successful... or something like that (https://io9.gizmodo.com/damon-lindelof- ... 1826239088).

Regina King, Don Johnson, Tim Blake Nelson, Louis Gossett Jr., Adelaide Clemens, and Andrew Howard.

http://deadline.com/2018/05/watchmen-re ... 202396744/

DigitalGypsy66

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Thu May 24, 2018 10:40 am

I finally got around to watching the Looming Tower. Easily one of the best shows I've seen in a while, as well as the most aggravating. The complete failure of the U.S. intelligence agencies to work with each other - on top of poor strategic/diplomatic decisions by the Clinton and Bush administrations left us unable to stop 9/11, despite having evidence available indicating a potential attack months ahead of 9/11.

You should hear about this show at the Emmys and Golden Globes. Great performances from Jeff Daniels, Michael Stuhlbarg, and Peter Sarsgaard.

It's a shame that it's on stupid Hulu.