Colossal TV Show thread

DigitalGypsy66

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Wed Jan 31, 2024 10:48 am

Idris Elba's Apple TV+ show Hijack is getting a second season. Good show if you haven't watched it yet.

skullman80

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby skullman80 » Wed Jan 31, 2024 10:49 am

My wife is watching Schitt's creek for like the 3rd time and I finally decided to watch it rather than just hear it as background noise...and its really funny and just another easy watch.

NTP66

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby NTP66 » Wed Jan 31, 2024 10:50 am

Oh ****, I knew I forgot I started a series. Thanks for the reminder, DG.

NAN

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby NAN » Wed Jan 31, 2024 10:51 am

You inspired me to download the full run of The Real Ghostbusters. That was by far my favorite show as a kid.
For the hardcore 80s/early 90s kid I was, I never really got into The Real Ghostbusters or Thundercats. Yes, I watched them, but never were as hardcore as I was with Transformers, TMNT, GI Joe and He-Man.
Yeah I was the opposite. Loved Ghostbusters, Thundercats, and TMNT, but never got into GI Joe, Transformers, or He-Man. Add Muppet Babies, Inspector Gadget, Garfield and Friends, Duck Tales, Tom & Jerry, David the Gnome, and Noozles to my list too. Later on, I would watch all the Nicktoons like Doug, Ren & Stimpy, Rugrats, Rocko, Hey Arnold, and Angry Beavers.
That Disney block of ChipNDale, Ducktales, Tailspin and DarkWing duck was a go to for me. My daughter and I rewatched Ducktales and Darkwing Duck last year. We have Rescue Rangers on our list. Garfield and Friends was always big for me too. One of my go to Saturday morning cartoons. I need to watch that.

Rugrats and Ren & Stimpy were Jr High and early High school for me. Loved those as well, but have no desire to rewatch.

NAN

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby NAN » Wed Jan 31, 2024 10:52 am

My wife is watching Schitt's creek for like the 3rd time and I finally decided to watch it rather than just hear it as background noise...and its really funny and just another easy watch.
It's a good watch. They did a great job. .

NTP66

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby NTP66 » Wed Jan 31, 2024 10:55 am

As for 80s/90s cartoons, my list, in no particular order:
  • Thundercats
  • Voltron
  • He-Man
  • Transformers
  • GI Joe
  • TMNT
  • DuckTales
  • X-Men
  • Batman: The Animated Series
  • Gargoyles
Man, we were spoiled.

NTP66

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby NTP66 » Wed Jan 31, 2024 10:56 am

It's a good watch. They did a great job. .
Yep. Schitt's Creek is one of those shows that's just solid from start to finish. Great series, great finale, would recommend.

nocera

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby nocera » Wed Jan 31, 2024 10:57 am

I forgot all about Darkwing Duck but same. I was into those Disney era shows as well except for Tailspin. Not sure why but it just never did it for me.
Source of the post For as much as I love Ghostbusters I don't really remember being into the real ghostbusters cartoon
I've watched 4 episodes so far and it's a ton of fun if you're a Ghostbusters fan. The first two seasons with the original voice actors are great and what I remember most. I'm pretty sure there's also an episode that ties directly into the movie. If I'm remembering correctly, the movie itself exists in the Real Ghostbusters universe as if it's based on them. Pretty sure it goes downhill and gets too kiddy once Dave Coulier replaces Lorenzo Music as Venkman and it becomes "Slimer and the Real Ghostbusters." I think Arsenio Hall leaves at the same time.

NTP66

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby NTP66 » Wed Jan 31, 2024 10:58 am

Source of the post I forgot all about Darkwing Duck
****, yeah, add that to the list. Along with basically every version of the Transformers shows. I swear there were a dozen (Beast Wars, etc.). And Scooby-Doo. Not sure how I forgot that one.

meecrofilm

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby meecrofilm » Wed Jan 31, 2024 11:13 am

Idris Elba's Apple TV+ show Hijack is getting a second season. Good show if you haven't watched it yet.
Hmm.

I guess I'm down if they put him in another situation that's not just a plane. Idk. Trying to think of something with similar stakes. If it's just him on a plane again (or talking to someone on a plane), I'm not super hyped, even though S1 was enjoyable, largely in part due to him.

AuthorTony

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby AuthorTony » Wed Jan 31, 2024 11:17 am

Hmm.

I guess I'm down if they put him in another situation that's not just a plane. Idk. Trying to think of something with similar stakes. If it's just him on a plane again (or talking to someone on a plane), I'm not super hyped, even though S1 was enjoyable, largely in part due to him.
Season 2 - Hijacked cruise liner.

shoeshine boy

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby shoeshine boy » Wed Jan 31, 2024 11:48 am

speaking of Band of Brothers.....

meecrofilm

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby meecrofilm » Wed Jan 31, 2024 1:13 pm

Hmm.

Right yeah. You can't do like a bank robbery cause that's not really a hijack. But it'd fit more with his negotiator skills. So, it'll at least be interesting to see what they land on.

LeopardLetang

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby LeopardLetang » Wed Jan 31, 2024 2:12 pm

speaking of Band of Brothers.....

Hah that's pretty great

NAN

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby NAN » Wed Jan 31, 2024 2:33 pm

As for 80s/90s cartoons, my list, in no particular order:
  • Thundercats
  • Voltron
  • He-Man
  • Transformers
  • GI Joe
  • TMNT
  • DuckTales
  • X-Men
  • Batman: The Animated Series
  • Gargoyles
Man, we were spoiled.
That's pretty much mine to the T, minus Gargoyles.

I did like 2 rewatches of Batman and X-Men. Probably will watch again. Thundercats were hit or miss for me, but did watch.

Gabe

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby Gabe » Wed Jan 31, 2024 4:41 pm

Hmm.

Right yeah. You can't do like a bank robbery cause that's not really a hijack. But it'd fit more with his negotiator skills. So, it'll at least be interesting to see what they land on.
Maybe like a terrorism angle. He fell into the last problem. Do you we jump forward to maybe a situation where he is doing that as his job now? Like, now he's a negotiator specifically in the non-business sense. To me, it would just seem forced and not credible for him to just find himself in another situation like this again. Kinda like Speed 2, or when the McCallisters lose track of Kevin for 2 years in a row.

Troy Loney

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby Troy Loney » Wed Jan 31, 2024 6:11 pm

If the new law and order svu season is an indication, the country is completely nuts.

First episode, crazy mail order sex dolls pushing men to kidnap and rape.

Second episode, Olivia helps a woman overcome her sjw disease so that she can testify against her black rapist. Completely deranged
Fox News all over this

https://x.com/ndrew_lawrence/status/175 ... 39057?s=20

Did they not see the end where Olivia cures the woman of her sjw disease! She overcomes the ailment and prevails on the stand.

Mostly just amazing, svu invented an absolutely insane woman that is so upset about inequity that she wouldn’t identity the assailant. And Olivia teaches her at the end.

DigitalGypsy66

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Wed Jan 31, 2024 7:03 pm

Percy Jackson was a very good first season. Great job Disney
Good to see Lance Reddick one last time. Good casting imo.

My teenagers, 15 and 17, made fun of the show every episode. My younger son just reread the books for a second or third time and loves them, but just didn't like the show - writing, missing or made up scenes etc. My wife and I never read the books but found it entertaining. Maybe it's more geared to younger viewers?

So @tifosi77 they have a behind the scenes feature on Percy Jackson, and they had a good segment on the Volume stage they used for filming in Vancouver. I think they said it was the largest in Canada, and almost all of the filming took place there. Impressive.

tifosi77

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby tifosi77 » Thu Feb 01, 2024 12:19 am

For better or worse, Stagecraft is an indelible part of making movies/TV shows now. Some are better than others, but it's here to stay.

NTP66

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby NTP66 » Thu Feb 01, 2024 3:49 pm

We're halfway through our second watch of Wellington Paranormal, which is a spin off of What We Do in the Shadows. Man, this show is just so funny, and I really wish there were a few more seasons, and even a crossover into the US version of WWDITS (which was supposed to happen, but didn't).

nocera

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby nocera » Thu Feb 01, 2024 3:53 pm

For better or worse, Stagecraft is an indelible part of making movies/TV shows now. Some are better than others, but it's here to stay.
At its best, it's treated as another tool. At its worst, it's treated as the only tool.

eddy

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby eddy » Mon Feb 05, 2024 2:43 pm

Last two episodes of True Detective have not been great. With two episodes left, they have a lot of detectiving to do.

NTP66

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby NTP66 » Tue Feb 06, 2024 6:28 am

Philomena Cunk to return in BBC special Cunk's Quest For Meaning

• Diane Morgan will return as Philomena Cunk for a 75 minute BBC Two special in which the character looks for the meaning of life
  • Cunk's Quest For Meaning will see Philomena "tackle some of the most complex concepts to have ever been discovered"
  • Cunk says: "To be honest I thought we could cover the meaning of life in a 30-minute episode, but the producers said we might need a bit longer"
This is most welcome news!

meecrofilm

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby meecrofilm » Tue Feb 06, 2024 12:55 pm

Last two episodes of True Detective have not been great. With two episodes left, they have a lot of detectiving to do.
It's only 6? I assumed it'd be 8.

eddy

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby eddy » Tue Feb 06, 2024 1:35 pm

It's only 6? I assumed it'd be 8.
Everyone watching the show assumed more than 6 as they forgot to do any detective work on the main storyline last two episodes. At least we have Russian mail ordered bride cat fishing scams front and center.