Colossal TV Show thread

meecrofilm

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby meecrofilm » Thu Jan 18, 2024 1:17 am

Fargo finale was solid.
Surprised that the climax happened so early and we basically got a 30 minute denouement but the long final scene with Munch and Dot’s family was so good. 10/10. Satisfying ending.
1,000% chance that Dot was a sineater as well.
Maybe? Doesn't the guy say they don't age? Whereas it's established that she met the sheriff at a young age...

eddy

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby eddy » Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:36 am

True Detective first episode was pretty good. I like that they are going back to what worked with the cosmic horror stuff. Definitely some connections to the first season.

Dickie Dunn

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby Dickie Dunn » Thu Jan 18, 2024 10:08 am

Finished up both season of The Lincoln Lawyer. It was an enjoyable, though unspectacular, watch. Constant sunny California skies during a Pittsburgh winter definitely increased my SAD. There's definitely a network television style to it that I apparently have become unaccustomed to over the years, but I think the biggest knocks against the show are that two superior versions of the show/universe already exist in Bosch and The Lincoln Lawyer movie. It was tough to buy-in to the show being a fan of the movie, which tells a tight and concise story with a superior cast. That's not to say anyone in the show is particularly bad, though the dude playing Cisco sucks, but while Beckie Newton is a clear upgrade and one of the most enjoyable parts of the show, Manuel Garcia-Rulfo, Neve Campbell, and Jamie McShane are really no match for Matthew McConaughey, Marisa Tomei, Bryan Cranston, and William H. Macy.

With all that being said, I was able to get onboard with Manuel Garcia-Rulfo as a different, more "wholesome" Mickey Haller (the MM version is a mess and really leans into being a sleazebag defense attorney), liked the exploration of the character being half-Mexican, and just enjoy the show for what it is. S2 was better than S1, which suffered initially from trying to set up the show while working around and ignoring the events of the movie/first book. I wish the show was better (or able to be set in the Bosch universe), but nevertheless look forward to S3.

DigitalGypsy66

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Thu Jan 18, 2024 10:15 am

Yeah, DD. My thoughts exactly. You can really tell that the Lincoln Lawyer was going to be CBS primetime show. Season 3 filming is underway btw.

Dickie Dunn

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby Dickie Dunn » Thu Jan 18, 2024 10:26 am

Yeah, DD. My thoughts exactly. You can really tell that the Lincoln Lawyer was going to be CBS primetime show. Season 3 filming is underway btw.
Since it ended up on Netflix I wish they would have pivoted away from that network primetime show aura, but given the extreme popularity of the show on Netflix I guess there's an overwhelming appetite for that type of show still.

AuthorTony

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby AuthorTony » Thu Jan 18, 2024 11:20 am

Since it ended up on Netflix I wish they would have pivoted away from that network primetime show aura, but given the extreme popularity of the show on Netflix I guess there's an overwhelming appetite for that type of show still.
I haven't watched LL so this might not be what you're referring to but...
I was reading posts in the aftermath of Milch's comments the other day and was blown away by how many people don't like/want long form dramas with a story/arc that stretches over an entire season. They want nice, neat stories that wrap up in 40 min.

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Thu Jan 18, 2024 4:36 pm

I found Lincoln Lawyer a tough slog. I agree that I'd loved for them to figure out how to do the Bosch/Haller crossover. Those were some of my favorite Connelly books.

Also, that Milch article was depressing, because it's true.

Troy Loney

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby Troy Loney » Thu Jan 18, 2024 8:08 pm

Just learned that Northern Exposure is not available on streaming because of music rights issues.

Thanks tif.
https://www.brooklynvegan.com/90s-tv-se ... oundtrack/
Finally! Early-’90s CBS series Northern Exposure has long been white whale for TV fans in the streaming era. After years of fans wondering if the show would ever hit the digital age, Amazon Prime Video quietly added all six seasons to its service at the start of 2024.
With most of the original soundtrack it looks like
Nice! I used to love it back in the day. Will be interesting to see if it holds up.
Started giving this a go, I am definitely getting some weird vibes about it. Like part Gilmore Girls, Doc Hollywood, and we're stuck following around a Woody Allen impersonator.

I am going to take on faith that the main character gets less unbearable and stick with it.

dodint

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby dodint » Thu Jan 18, 2024 8:15 pm

You should cut your losses.

skullman80

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby skullman80 » Sat Jan 20, 2024 10:50 am

Started watching Loudermilk based on discussions here and it’s pretty fn funny. We burnt through season one in one sitting and are a few episodes into season 2. Probably helps I’m a huge Ron Livingston fan from office space.

LeopardLetang

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby LeopardLetang » Sat Jan 20, 2024 10:59 am

There's so much that annoys me about the show but I can't stop watching it. Best I can think is that it just has great pacing. Scene to scene and episode to episode. It moves forward well. And I like the actors. And it does the emotional scenes well. It also has doubled down so hard on diversity that it doesn't feel like typical lip service and I actually appreciate it. Some of the writing and jokes range from awful to lame but I like being in the world

NTP66

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby NTP66 » Sat Jan 20, 2024 12:09 pm

Shoresy is still okay. May have some of the worst music in all of television, though. Seriously, just shitawful music.

DigitalGypsy66

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Sat Jan 20, 2024 1:15 pm

The Reacher finale was Michael Bay levels of moronic.
Neagley shoots those two guards outside with an unsuppressed weapon, but it makes no noise. I don't understand why T2 just doesn't shoot all of the special investigators and has to go to all of the trouble of throwing them out of a helicopter. The terrorist guy's death was anticlimatic and stupid at the same time lol

Troy Loney

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby Troy Loney » Sat Jan 20, 2024 1:27 pm

The Reacher finale was Michael Bay levels of moronic.
Neagley shoots those two guards outside with an unsuppressed weapon, but it makes no noise. I don't understand why T2 just doesn't shoot all of the special investigators and has to go to all of the trouble of throwing them out of a helicopter. The terrorist guy's death was anticlimatic and stupid at the same time lol
I was hanging in there until the helicopter scene. How could they possible not know that he had grabbed on to the helicopter? Wouldn’t the whole thing be off balance?

NTP66

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby NTP66 » Mon Jan 22, 2024 12:52 pm

Watching Alan Ritchson run is funny.

Looking forward to S03, but I will miss Karla Dixon.

eddy

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby eddy » Mon Jan 22, 2024 7:14 pm

True Detective S4 E2. Another strong episode. The Navarro actress is not a good actor.
we get a Tuttle reference from the cult in first season along with Travis Cole who was Rusts dad?

Pavel Bure

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby Pavel Bure » Mon Jan 22, 2024 10:02 pm

Started Mayor of Kingstown… I want to like it because it’s by the guy that wrote Sicario but man it really just feels like manly man jerk off fantasy stuff. It’s like there is a good show here but every time it gets close someone said, “man that up a bit, no ***** ****.” Maybe I’m just soft.

Edit: yep I’m out. Just had a scene of a kid getting buried and a character asking something about there not being a service or word. Other character responds, “nope, guess the atheists don’t want someone accidentally getting prayed over.” **** off.

DigitalGypsy66

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Tue Jan 23, 2024 6:09 am

It's one of those Taylor Sheridan produced shows, right? I watched Tulsa King, another one of his shows, and it had lots of one off grumpy conservative groupthink statements like that. I think Tulsa King's was about gender. At any rate, Tulsa King wasn't a great show regardless. Evidently, Yellowstone and its offshoots/prequels/sequels are very big in red states. So my guess is he's doubling down to capture that audience. Good business sense imo.

Pavel Bure

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby Pavel Bure » Tue Jan 23, 2024 8:05 am

It's one of those Taylor Sheridan produced shows, right? I watched Tulsa King, another one of his shows, and it had lots of one off grumpy conservative groupthink statements like that. I think Tulsa King's was about gender. At any rate, Tulsa King wasn't a great show regardless. Evidently, Yellowstone and its offshoots/prequels/sequels are very big in red states. So my guess is he's doubling down to capture that audience. Good business sense imo.
Yes, reading a bit more it looks like Paramount+ found their niche and backed the money truck up for him. The pandering is what grated on me.

skullman80

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby skullman80 » Tue Jan 23, 2024 9:53 am

We are 4 episodes from the end of Loudermilk. It's so dumb, yet its so entertaining for some reason. I can't even explain why. Maybe because internally I'm like Loudermilk...I just dont express my disdain for people/things outwardly...and can relate to him.

eddy

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby eddy » Tue Jan 23, 2024 10:32 am

I'm not sure why I never watched New Girl, but it's terrific through almost two seasons. Very funny.

LeopardLetang

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby LeopardLetang » Tue Jan 23, 2024 10:34 am

We are 4 episodes from the end of Loudermilk. It's so dumb, yet its so entertaining for some reason. I can't even explain why. Maybe because internally I'm like Loudermilk...I just dont express my disdain for people/things outwardly...and can relate to him.

I thought for sure it was 4 seasons. So bummed when I unexpectedly finished the series.

AuthorTony

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby AuthorTony » Tue Jan 23, 2024 10:36 am

Season 1 of Mayor of Kingstown had some pretty good moments. Yeah, the writing was pretty ham-fisted, but I enjoyed it for the most part. Season 2 is a completely trainwreck. I can't even believe it was produced as it was so clearly thrown together and half-assed. A couple of the episodes barely cracked the 30 minute mark. It's like everyone involved was contracted for the season but put zero effort into it. I can't believe they're making a season 3.

LeopardLetang

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby LeopardLetang » Tue Jan 23, 2024 10:38 am

I'm not sure why I never watched New Girl, but it's terrific through almost two seasons. Very funny.
Same here but still haven't watched it but I've read enough recommendations I know I'd like it. Maybe I'll watch right now. I started Tacoma FD last night but not sure it's worth it.

Huh it's 8.1 on imdb. Anyone like it?

DigitalGypsy66

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Tue Jan 23, 2024 10:59 am

I can't believe they're making a season 3.
But yet, they are! IMdB says a 2025 release date though. I guess with Renner's injury and the various strikes, it might push later anyway. I did see Renner hopping around pretty well recently, so he's on the mend at least.

As for Loudermilk, the Farrellys have said they have seasons 4 and 5 scripted/outlined. They just need a distributor/home for it to air.

We were making good headway into season 3 of Loudermilk until my wife discovered a new season of Love on the Spectrum had dropped on Netflix. It's something else. A mixture of sweet/cringey/sad all at the same time. My wife works with a lot of students on the autism spectrum, so she has a more clinical interest...but it's interesting. You go from a guy who has difficulty holding hands to another young woman who wants to get laid so badly. :lol: