Who?

NTP66

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby NTP66 » Mon Jan 15, 2024 2:32 pm

Oh, wow. Huge fail.

skullman80

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby skullman80 » Mon Jan 15, 2024 2:43 pm

Wtf. That is awful. I mean she can do whatever she wants ….but Yeesh.

nocera

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby nocera » Mon Jan 15, 2024 2:45 pm

Maybe she told the doctor “give me the ‘age 20 years in 2 hours’ surgery.”

Troy Loney

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby Troy Loney » Mon Jan 15, 2024 2:48 pm

Kind of ruins the continuity of the show

Pavel Bure

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby Pavel Bure » Mon Jan 15, 2024 2:54 pm

Never watched Boardwalk Empire before. I’m almost through season 1. I’m enjoying it but I feel Bushemi is a bit miscast.

meecrofilm

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby meecrofilm » Mon Jan 15, 2024 6:40 pm

Kind of ruins the continuity of the show
It probably won't be as noticeable in the actual filming.

But from her standpoint...a big reason for getting cast in that role (or most roles for most people) is the look. The cheeks contribute to the innocent girl-next-door deal. Getting rid of that puts you in a different pool for roles entirely.

NTP66

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby NTP66 » Mon Jan 15, 2024 6:41 pm

She looks like a clown now.

scb147

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby scb147 » Mon Jan 15, 2024 7:32 pm

I don't know who that even is, but if I was not told, I wouldn't have known that was the same person

DigitalGypsy66

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Mon Jan 15, 2024 8:00 pm

Long read on David Chase and The Sopranos at 25 (!!) Lots of interesting stuff about how he thinks TV is swinging back to where it was pre-Sopranos, where he has to dumb things down because execs are scared of audiences not understanding complex plots because we are all multitasking.
David Chase is sitting at home in Los Angeles in front of blood-red walls. Sunlight streams through a window, so he stands up to close the blinds. Now suitably hugged by claret and darkness, he talks about The Sopranos, his violent, funny, caustic, moving and endlessly rewatchable crime drama, which first aired a quarter of a century ago (January 10, 1999, to be precise) and, over six series and 86 episodes, changed TV permanently.

"Some people, it seems, are obsessed by it," he says when I ask him how much he enjoys revisiting his finest moment.

Chase, 78, used to watch his show when it was originally shown every Sunday night, but has barely been back since. "Still, it's been gratifying to see people hold an interest. How could that be anything but pleasing to the ego, to your place in the human race?"

In 1999 The Sopranos was a simple, brilliant twist on a well-trodden genre. Take the Italian-American mafia, beloved in The Godfather and Goodfellas, but turn their stories into a TV series that focuses, yes, on the murdering, but just as much on the Mob boss Tony Soprano's family and his sessions with a therapist. Feelings were as important as "fuggedaboutit" - no wonder it is often labelled the best show in history, the one that ushered in the so called golden age of TV.

However, as The Sopranos toasts its 25th birthday, its creator is in no mood to party. For reasons we will get to, Chase feels that everything he fought for to freshen up TV is hurtling back to where it was. "Yes, this is the 25th anniversary, so of course it's a celebration," he says, not sounding celebratory at all. "But perhaps we shouldn't look at it like that. Maybe we should look at it like a funeral." He means a funeral for the type of show that was synonymous with The Sopranos - The Wire, Breaking Bad, Mad Men and so on.

"That was a blip," he says with a sigh. "A 25-year blip. And to be clear, I'm not talking only about The Sopranos, but a lot of other hugely talented people out there who I feel increasingly bad for."

To get into what he means let us head back to the start - 1999, when The Sopranos was a breath of fresh air. Back then, TV was advert-driven and formulaic.

However, thanks to the subscription service HBO, Chase was able to run uninterrupted episodes at an hour a piece. It allowed TV to feel as ambitious as cinema.

When Chase talks about making The Sopranos he mentions Elvis Costello and specifically his song Radio Radio. "I wanna bite the hand that feeds me/ I wanna bite that hand so badly/ I want to make them wish they'd never seen me" it goes, and while Costello was railing against commercial radio, Chase took his lyrics to inspire a fight against TV networks.

"It is exactly how I felt," he says about Costello's words. "And I succeeded too - I made them regret all their decades of stupidity and greed. Back then the networks were in an artistic pit. A shithole. The process was repulsive. In meetings these people would always ask to take out the one thing that made an episode worth doing. I should have quit."

Chase was in his fifties, angry, frustrated and depressed. He was a jobbing writer, but wanted to make movies. "I had written at least ten screenplays, though," he says. "And none succeeded. It was apartheid. If you were a TV writer you couldn't drink the water in pictures." As an alternative to the big screen he started to write The Sopranos only for his pilot to be rejected too, by leading networks such as Fox.

"I should have known that a real mafia wiseguy show would not happen on US TV," he scoffs. "If you think your grandmother is riskaverse you should meet network people." Why did these channels not commission The Sopranos? "Well, I could've done an idiotic Mob show, a watered down Godfather, but why would you cut its balls off yourself? On a network I could not do out-there

Italian characters, and there was sex, violence and bad language. It was never going to happen."

Chase shakes his head. Did anyone who had turned down The Sopranos ever apologise? "Never," Chase says, shrugging. "That's typical Hollywood. They never take responsibility, but load responsibility on to the talent and bury them in guilt for not 'getting' it."

Then came HBO and its bold, adult TV. It is hard to overstate the impact the channel had. In 1997 it made the prison drama Oz and, free from the puritanical control of ad money, loaded up on the R-rated content - draw a straight line from that to Game of Thrones. Oz, though, was small fry compared with the impact of The Sopranos. Chase loved the lack of ads as much as being allowed to have his characters kill and curse. "I had the best job in Hollywood." It was total freedom and for a while the small screen good times kept coming, with Netflix, Prime Video and Apple TV+.

Chase, however, thinks that era is over. Which brings us back to the funeral. "We're going back to where I was," he says. He takes a breath. "They're going to have commercials." He's right, adverts are back - on Netflix and Prime Video. "And I've already been told to dumb it down."

He talks about a show he has tried to make with the young screenwriter Hannah Fidell, about a high-end prostitute forced into witness protection. They are on their third draft and fifth meeting and have been told "the unfortunate truth" that it's too complex. "Who is this all really for?" he groans. "I guess the stockholders?

"As the human race goes on," he continues, "we are more into multitasking. Your phone is just one symptom, but who can really focus? Your mother could be dying and you are by her hospital bed taking calls. We seem to be confused and audiences can't keep their minds on things, so we can't make anything that makes too much sense, takes our attention and requires an audience to focus. And as for streaming executives? It is getting worse. We're going back to where we were." It is a timely point - there is a real concern among TV executives that, given a choice between their phones and the TV, viewers will choose the former. Hence Chase's mention of dumbing down.

The thinking is that if viewers can follow something very simple and look at their phone at the same time, they will be happy. It is TV that allows for the use of a second screen - something unthinkable when watching The Sopranos. And if anyone brings up Succession as a counter to Chase, remember that that show started six years ago. "So, it is a funeral," Chase says. "Something is dying."

Chase barely watches TV now. He saw Mad Men (Matthew Weiner, who worked on The Sopranos, wrote it) and Boardwalk Empire (Terence Winter, who worked on The Sopranos, wrote it), but none of those other long-form classics. "I don't know why," he says, a little sadly. "You try to live your life and there have been illnesses in my family that have taken energy away."

He sighs when we talk about James Gandolfini, who played Tony Soprano and died in 2013. It meant a lot to Chase to get the actor's son, Michael, to star in his film prequel to The Sopranos, The Many Saints of Newark, in 2021, but James could have been one of the greats. I ask if there are other actors from the show who he is surprised did not make more of their careers. "Yes," he states bluntly, adding that he does not want to name them because that would be saying those actors failed. "But some made bad choices," he pipes up unprompted. "Drea de Matteo made a couple of mistakes." De Matteo was a firecracker as tragic Adriana. "She's fantastic."

We end, as most interviews with Americans will this year, on Donald Trump. Chase does not think that Tony Soprano "would give a **** about the election", but that Trump is such a huge figure he couldn't ignore him. In the very first episode of The Sopranos Tony complains to his shrink about America going downhill. "I'm getting the feeling that I came in at the end," he says - and he does not mean the mafia: he means his country.

"And that's how I felt," Chase says of the words he gave Soprano, echoing his own views. "Something was wrong with the America I'd grown up in. America used to be respected. We were the breath of fresh air in the 1940s and 1950s; a beacon of democracy. But I thought television, advertising and materialism were killing us."

However, 25 years on - with Trump - if he thought America was in trouble in 1999, what does Chase think of the country right now? "Well, the cat's out of the bag," he begins, "about the race problem, and how much of our white population hates our black population. That had been kept quiet since the 1960s."

He pauses, building up to an ending as stirring as the one he wrote for his show, the controversial finale in which Soprano probably dies. "This is my theory about Trump," says the man who once changed TV. "Americans were so used to looking at their TVs and seeing bullshit - bullshit, lies, hype, salesmanship. Just bullshit. That was their life and then this guy comes along who personifies that all. They're used to that. They can't tell the difference. And they want it. They want it."
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/the- ... -dq9z78wkg

NTP66

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby NTP66 » Mon Jan 15, 2024 8:08 pm

**** David Chase.

nocera

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby nocera » Mon Jan 15, 2024 8:14 pm

Why?

Dickie Dunn

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby Dickie Dunn » Mon Jan 15, 2024 8:20 pm

Probably because The Sopranos finale was a steaming pile of skyline chili.

nocera

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby nocera » Mon Jan 15, 2024 8:22 pm

We’re in the middle of a rewatch now and have about 6 episodes left in the series. Season 6 is rough but I’ll go to bat for that finale any day.

meecrofilm

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby meecrofilm » Mon Jan 15, 2024 8:28 pm

Long read on David Chase and The Sopranos at 25 (!!) Lots of interesting stuff about how he thinks TV is swinging back to where it was pre-Sopranos, where he has to dumb things down because execs are scared of audiences not understanding complex plots because we are all multitasking.
I'll always take any opportunity to harp on entertainment execs being the most uncreative people on the planet.

AuthorTony

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby AuthorTony » Mon Jan 15, 2024 8:34 pm

I'll always take any opportunity to harp on entertainment execs being the most uncreative people on the planet.
That's because (especially now more than ever) they're not creative talent. They're simply CEOs seeking to maximize profits for stock holders. They don't care about the quality of what they make. They just want to make the cheapest crap possible that appeals to the widest swath of potential viewers, especially viewers who are willing to sit through commercials.

Pavel Bure

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby Pavel Bure » Mon Jan 15, 2024 8:36 pm

**** David Chase.
The more I learn about him the more he seems like an insufferable ****** similar to Kurt Sutter.

meecrofilm

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby meecrofilm » Mon Jan 15, 2024 8:39 pm

That's because (especially now more than ever) they're not creative talent. They're simply CEOs seeking to maximize profits for stock holders. They don't care about the quality of what they make. They just want to make the cheapest crap possible that appeals to the widest swath of potential viewers, especially viewers who are willing to sit through commercials.
Right. But to your point, they're uncreative people making direct creative decisions.

nocera

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby nocera » Mon Jan 15, 2024 8:40 pm

That has always been and will always be TV execs. On the other hand, there has always been and will always be outlier shows that squeak through and show how good TV can be.

meecrofilm

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby meecrofilm » Mon Jan 15, 2024 8:47 pm

I'm not even talking TV exclusively, but yes, agreed.

MWB

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby MWB » Mon Jan 15, 2024 8:49 pm

We’re in the middle of a rewatch now and have about 6 episodes left in the series. Season 6 is rough but I’ll go to bat for that finale any day.
Yeah, I’ve got no issue with the finale, or really any of the show. One of the most consistently great shows from start to finish.

nocera

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby nocera » Mon Jan 15, 2024 8:51 pm

Yeah, I’ve got no issue with the finale, or really any of the show. One of the most consistently great shows from start to finish.
Love the show too but I absolutely hate the dream sequence episodes. Instant skip.

Pavel Bure

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby Pavel Bure » Mon Jan 15, 2024 8:54 pm

Love the show too but I absolutely hate the dream sequence episodes. Instant skip.
The Test Dream literally almost caused me to stop watching the show. It’s just awful.

MWB

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby MWB » Mon Jan 15, 2024 8:55 pm

Yeah, I agree with that… I think I blank those episodes out lol.

Pavel Bure

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby Pavel Bure » Mon Jan 15, 2024 9:49 pm