Colossal TV Show thread

Morkle

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby Morkle » Thu Feb 02, 2023 8:18 am

That 90s Show actually really grew on me, and I hope they do a second season.
So it's worth a shot?
No. Not it's not.
I'd say it is, and it's an easy bail otherwise. There's some good moments, the kids are kinda lame - but red/kitty make up for it.

Troy Loney

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby Troy Loney » Thu Feb 02, 2023 8:20 am

One of the two characters who was actually a decent person (newlywed wife) stays with her man baby jagoff husband? She deserves to be miserable now. Felt bad for the spa worker after all of the hoops she went through. The only person who redeemed themself was the son, who discovered the beauty of Maui. Everyone else can **** right off.
The Steve Zahn character and the spoiled dodint I believe both sort of grow up through their experiences. Granted the wife's end scene is like "i am ready to be happy now", but I think it's also more that "i am actually ready to accept what is expected of me in this marriage", hopefully the spoiled ass learned from his experience and the disaster caused by his petulance. Steve Zahn had to get over his emasculation and reconnect with his wife. That was heavy handed, but apt I think.

NTP66

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby NTP66 » Thu Feb 02, 2023 8:27 am

One of the two characters who was actually a decent person (newlywed wife) stays with her man baby jagoff husband? She deserves to be miserable now. Felt bad for the spa worker after all of the hoops she went through. The only person who redeemed themself was the son, who discovered the beauty of Maui. Everyone else can **** right off.
The Steve Zahn character and the spoiled dodint I believe both sort of grow up through their experiences. Granted the wife's end scene is like "i am ready to be happy now", but I think it's also more that "i am actually ready to accept what is expected of me in this marriage", hopefully the spoiled ass learned from his experience and the disaster caused by his petulance. Steve Zahn had to get over his emasculation and reconnect with his wife. That was heavy handed, but apt I think.
Agreed on Steve Zahn. I actually liked him in the show, for the most part. The daughter is another story entirely.

dodint

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby dodint » Thu Feb 02, 2023 8:30 am

That 90s Show actually really grew on me, and I hope they do a second season.
So it's worth a shot?
No. Not it's not.
I'd say it is, and it's an easy bail otherwise. There's some good moments, the kids are kinda lame - but red/kitty make up for it.
The kids are the problem. Bad actors, Disney channel level, playing weak characters telling tired boring stories. The whole production is just very lazy.

Morkle

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby Morkle » Thu Feb 02, 2023 8:32 am

That's why it's an easy bail? I thought the kids got OKish towards the end, but I'm not sure what new stories are supposed to be done...they're kids having the same kid problems as kids did in the 70s.

I do think in Season 2 if it gets done, they spend some money and include more of the actors - considering Kelso/Jackie/Fez are still "local" in the show.

nocera

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby nocera » Thu Feb 02, 2023 8:50 am

How'd they write off Danny Masterson?

dodint

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby dodint » Thu Feb 02, 2023 8:51 am

Who?

NTP66

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby NTP66 » Thu Feb 02, 2023 8:51 am

He won a spot on his local school board.

Kane

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby Kane » Thu Feb 02, 2023 9:00 am

Steve Zahn still does things?

Morkle

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby Morkle » Thu Feb 02, 2023 9:02 am

IIRC they just don't acknowledge him. They really only acknowledge the sister once and it was just a joke to make fun of Eric.

NTP66

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby NTP66 » Thu Feb 02, 2023 9:03 am

First time I had seen him in what feels like forever was 8-bit Christmas (movie from 2021), which was also good.

nocera

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby nocera » Thu Feb 02, 2023 9:04 am

How dare you. Dude has been working consistently since the mid 90s.

Kane

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby Kane » Thu Feb 02, 2023 9:52 am

How dare you. Dude has been working consistently since the mid 90s.
Bout a nine of the tension scale there, Rube. I like Zahn, but I couldn't tell you the last time I watched something with him in it.

nocera

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby nocera » Thu Feb 02, 2023 9:54 am

You didn't watch the Netflix teen romantic comedy Tall Girl?

Kane

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby Kane » Thu Feb 02, 2023 9:57 am

You didn't watch the Netflix teen romantic comedy Tall Girl?

NTP66

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby NTP66 » Fri Feb 03, 2023 8:12 am

Wife came across this on Netflix the other day, and we watched the first episode last night and thought it was hilarious. We only tuned in because we recognized her from After Life, but we'll be sticking with it now. I'd recommend it for anyone who enjoyed her character on After Life.

‘Cunk on Earth’: A Hilarious Mockumentary From the Creator of ‘Black Mirror’
“I know I come across as quite confident,” says newswoman Philomena Cunk, “but sometimes when I’m talking to experts, I worry that, you know, I might come across as quite stupid.”

This is easily the most self-aware moment for Cunk throughout the five-episode British mockumentary series Cunk on Earth, which began streaming on Netflix this week. As played by Diane Morgan, Cunk is a naive simpleton who can barely grasp any of the subjects she discusses, filtering everything through an extremely narrow and modern lens. As she attempts to survey all of human history in Cunk on Earth, for instance, she declares, “One of the reasons we still know about the Romans today is Wikipedia.” At another point, she and British historical linguistics expert Dr. Irving Finkel study a stone tablet featuring some of the earliest human writing. “If someone shouted this aloud,” she wonders, “would that have been the first audiobook?” Finkel takes a long pause before simply saying, “No.”

DigitalGypsy66

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Fri Feb 03, 2023 8:17 am

That began to autoplay while I was on Netflix the other day, and I said to myself "That sounds like Kath from After Life!" And it was! I'm going to check that out next. New season of Fauda came out, too.

NTP66

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby NTP66 » Fri Feb 03, 2023 8:17 am

She has some outstanding one liners in the show. To give you a sample: "What’s ironic about Jesus Christ becoming a carpenter was that he was actually named after the two words that you’re most likely to shout after hitting your thumb with a hammer."

dodint

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby dodint » Fri Feb 03, 2023 8:40 am

Autoplayed for me as well and I was wondering if it actually was the same character from After Life.

MWB

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby MWB » Sat Feb 04, 2023 1:25 pm

I've been watching The West Wing for the first time. I'm enjoying it. It suffers from the same issues that most network TV shows do, but manages to overcome them better than most. I just finished the premiere of season 3 and it's ALL about terrorism. Like weirdly obsessed with terrorism and talking about what it means to be a terrorist and questioning whether all Muslims and Islamics are terrorists. I looked up the air date and sure enough it aired Oct 3, 2001. It's so strange to be back in that headspace. The series has felt fairly timeless thus far, and that episode felt so of its time.

Although I have to admit that a show that portrays the office of the president and politics in general with such respect is sort of funny these days.

*Wait I just learned that this episode is a non-canonical episode and is not technically the season 3 premiere. It's a really impressive message for being less than a month after 9/11.
I just started rewatching this. It’s Always been one of my favorite shows, but it’s so syrupy compared to current shows. Like, this is what politics should be, but it’s so far from reality.

nocera

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby nocera » Sun Feb 05, 2023 9:54 am

The past two SNLs have been really solid btw.

meecrofilm

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby meecrofilm » Sun Feb 05, 2023 7:19 pm

Yeah that was really well done.

nocera

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby nocera » Sun Feb 05, 2023 8:00 pm

Watched the first episode of Wednesday. Does it get less CW-y? For all the hype, the premiere felt like any other angsty teen Riverdale “it’s not just a phase mom” show for kids who insist they’re not like other kids.

dodint

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby dodint » Sun Feb 05, 2023 8:15 pm

I like it.

But, no, not really.

MrKennethTKangaroo

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Mon Feb 06, 2023 9:10 am

Is anyone else subjecting themselves to watching Fitness 100 on Netflix? It's terrible but we have already invested 4 hours of our lives to watch this drawn out piece of crap