Colossal TV Show thread

meecrofilm

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby meecrofilm » Mon Aug 08, 2022 4:36 pm

Only Murders In The Building, Se2 Ep7
Okay, I did not see that coming.

Glitter Man had their backpack slung over their right shoulder, which implies left-handedness. They're also taller than average....... is Michael Rapaport left-handed? A NYPD cop could moonlight as an amusement park security guard where the employee locker room would be more or less vacant space during winter, and potentially also have the connections to make a blocks-wide blackout happen, and also have access to the Trio's phone numbers to be texting them.

(Speaking of Coney Island...... I wonder if powering things up for Theo's ankle LoJack also activated the security cameras.........)

Whoever the button man is, it leaves open the question of motive. In the first scene we meet him, Rapaport's cop even goes so far as to call the case something that will make his career, and what would be more of a slam dunk than framing a high-profile suspect? But what's the connection to the Rose Cooper painting? How does Lucy figure into all this? I rewatched scene in Ep 4 where Charles puts Lucy in the car ("No detours") where Glitter Man took the photo, but the only other person who's really in the scene is the car driver, who is anonymous afaik, and the camera's from a position that looks like it's either the BMW parked behind or maybe even a car across the street.
Like I don't f**king know A Chorus Line.............. (I'm like 75% convinced that moment was either unscripted, or at least wasn't known ahead of time to Martin and Martin. Thought that was excellent, no notes.)
General lack of minding P's and Q's that really didn't sit well with me:
Mabel's long talk in the car with Theo. C'mon guys. He's already established he only picks up 1/3 of lip-reading dialogue, and now he's driving, meaning he has to split focus be a sideways-turned Mabel, and also watching the road, which is even more crucial since deaf-driving requires even more vigilance. And with all that, he somehow catches all the relevant details (and doesn't seem to look at the road once). This is minutes after he says he didn't understand anything Mabel was telling him by the Claw machine, and that's when he's looking right at her face and not operating a vehicle.

That's just sloppy/lazy whatever you want to call it. I can't focus on what Mabel's saying in the car because of the sheer implausibility of the situation, so I'm now completely taken out of it. Also, I don't think you'd immediately lose cell service in a blackout, but that's small peanuts compared to the car scene.

tifosi77

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby tifosi77 » Mon Aug 08, 2022 5:21 pm

Here's how I read that situation:
Mabel isn't even really talking to Theo. She's speaking out loud sort of because Theo can't understand the words. It's like a self-affirmation kind of thing.

A theme of the entire episode is unspoken communication, or empathy.

- No one telling Mabel her dad is dying, and her having to come to grips with it in the hospital;
- The memory of Bunny's murder where she doesn't say anything (e.g. "savage"/"fourteen") as she collapses on Mabel's floor;
- Mabel connecting to someone emotionally despite them not understanding her words;

etc

CBear3

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby CBear3 » Mon Aug 08, 2022 5:29 pm

Maybe the cell phone tower would crash and cause it go down? Making it instant instead of talking to dead air for 4 minutes like what usually happens when somebody you're talking to loses signal just seems like a better play.

And there were several times I thought about the whole talking to a deaf guy who can only read 1/3 of what your lips are forming. I suppose they could have had that conversation on the way to the car instead in a more plausible universe, but as tif says Theo isn't the important part of that conversation.
It's Mabel coming to grips with her past.

meecrofilm

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby meecrofilm » Mon Aug 08, 2022 6:00 pm

Yeah, I guess that's acceptable enough. :lol:

tifosi77

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby tifosi77 » Mon Aug 08, 2022 6:03 pm

I will say it will be interesting to see how the episodic cliffhanger ties into the particulars about the Son Of Sam game from earlier in the season. Doesn't a round of that game kick off in, er, similar (albeit pretend) fashion?

eddy

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby eddy » Tue Aug 09, 2022 8:04 am

First episode of Sandman was very good. I hope this pace continues.

Dickie Dunn

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby Dickie Dunn » Tue Aug 09, 2022 11:59 pm

Just finished We Own This City - superb show all around. I would love to see more content like this and The Wire, because it's all done so well, and the actors just nail their roles.
Loving The Wire cameos. Poot and Slim Charles!

NTP66

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby NTP66 » Fri Aug 12, 2022 6:56 am

Caught a trailer for this last night, and it looks funny.

NTP66

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby NTP66 » Fri Aug 12, 2022 9:03 am

Anyone here watch Locke & Key? Any good?

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Fri Aug 12, 2022 12:44 pm

I saw the latest South Park episodes last night (the St. Patrick’s Day Special from March). It was really bad. I used to watch the show religiously but it’s such a petering piece of crap now.

Matt and Trey need to just end it

nocera

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby nocera » Fri Aug 12, 2022 2:16 pm

I don't disagree that the most recent stuff hasn't been great. I couldn't make it through the last Paramount+ special (not the COVID one).

But this is super cool:

blackjack68

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby blackjack68 » Fri Aug 12, 2022 5:40 pm

I don't disagree that the most recent stuff hasn't been great. I couldn't make it through the last Paramount+ special (not the COVID one).

But this is super cool:
That show was recorded and will be on Comedy Central tomorrow (Saturday) at 10pm with some special guest appearances. On Paramount + after that. I look forward to watching it.

DigitalGypsy66

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Fri Aug 12, 2022 6:56 pm

Geddy Lee and Alex Lifeson came on stage and played Closer to the Heart with Primus and Matt Stone on drums. It was cool, if you're into that sort of thing.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Fri Aug 12, 2022 7:19 pm

RIP Neil

Gaucho

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby Gaucho » Sat Aug 13, 2022 4:32 am

MWB

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby MWB » Sat Aug 13, 2022 10:20 am

Heh

NTP66

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby NTP66 » Sun Aug 14, 2022 1:23 pm

That Stranger Things season finale was incredible.

AuthorTony

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby AuthorTony » Sun Aug 14, 2022 3:42 pm

Indeed.

skullman80

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby skullman80 » Mon Aug 15, 2022 1:46 am

Since you've seen it now ...Metallica
shows Eddie on the big screen when they play master of puppets at their live show, or at least they did tonight.

NTP66

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby NTP66 » Mon Aug 15, 2022 6:31 am

Since you've seen it now ...Metallica
shows Eddie on the big screen when they play master of puppets at their live show, or at least they did tonight.
Yeah, I saw a video that Metallica posted a week or so ago showing it. That scene was **** amazing, and the song was a perfect choice... even though it's about cocaine. :lol:

tifosi77

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby tifosi77 » Mon Aug 15, 2022 4:07 pm

OMITB Se2, Ep8
So it looks like I might be right about Kreps; not sure if he's the killer or if he's trying to steal evidence and 'solve' case or what. I'm not confident of the latter explanation - stealing evidence is one thing, physically menacing people is something else. If he is not deeply involved they are going a little too far out of their way to throw a dummy imo.

Either way, it still doesn't answer motive. I'm still leaning towards criminal enterprise involving the attempted theft of the Rose Cooper painting, which sort of by default would almost have to implicate Alice. But now we have Sneezy McBroadway showing up, and I'm not sure what to make of him. Seems convenient that this guy appears out of nowhere with a cat allergy and is literally only the second character to sneeze on-camera all season. (All 'sneeze'-on, haha) I'm also no longer sure Superfan Marv is just a misunderstood nice guy with altruistic goals of family reconciliation; I think he might actually be the 6th Avenue Slasher, but that opens a whole other can of worms not directly related to Bunny Folger's demise, and might be a potential setup for Season 3.

At this stage, I would believe there are as many as 4 or 5 conspirators.

eddy

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby eddy » Tue Aug 16, 2022 9:31 am

4 episodes in to Sandman and it's one of the best shows Ive seen in a while. Very much my thing.

Got caught up to the wedding episode of What we do in the shadows. Love this season so far. Night market was such a cool episode.

NTP66

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby NTP66 » Tue Aug 16, 2022 10:56 am

OMITB Se2, Ep8
So it looks like I might be right about Kreps; not sure if he's the killer or if he's trying to steal evidence and 'solve' case or what. I'm not confident of the latter explanation - stealing evidence is one thing, physically menacing people is something else. If he is not deeply involved they are going a little too far out of their way to throw a dummy imo.

Either way, it still doesn't answer motive. I'm still leaning towards criminal enterprise involving the attempted theft of the Rose Cooper painting, which sort of by default would almost have to implicate Alice. But now we have Sneezy McBroadway showing up, and I'm not sure what to make of him. Seems convenient that this guy appears out of nowhere with a cat allergy and is literally only the second character to sneeze on-camera all season. (All 'sneeze'-on, haha) I'm also no longer sure Superfan Marv is just a misunderstood nice guy with altruistic goals of family reconciliation; I think he might actually be the 6th Avenue Slasher, but that opens a whole other can of worms not directly related to Bunny Folger's demise, and might be a potential setup for Season 3.

I'm on the same page as you with all of this.

Dickie Dunn

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby Dickie Dunn » Wed Aug 17, 2022 9:50 am

OMITB Se2, Ep8

I'm on the same page as you with all of this.
Same

Dickie Dunn

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby Dickie Dunn » Wed Aug 17, 2022 9:52 am

I know this was discussed here previously, but for some reason my YouTube feed has become full of Letterkenny and Shoresy compilation videos. Some pretty funny stuff, but I don't know that I could watch entire episodes of this, let alone 8+ seasons. Shitty hockey players constantly chirping each other. It's like a documentary about @meow.