Pittsburgh Sports Media Thread

columbia

Postby columbia » Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:59 am

They knew what they signed up for. :pop:

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:32 am

Every time I've heard Hoge talk about concussions on DVE it's largely been the same message. Kids riding their bikes without a helmet and jumping into swimming pools cause more injuries, concussions, and other related head trauma than playing youth football; football equipment, health care, and neurological science/treatment is the best it has ever been; CTE gets directly linked to football without looking at other factors in a person's life or acknowledging the existence of CTE in non-athletes.

Basically his stance is that football isn't the only dangerous or potentially dangerous thing people do in their life and his career ended prematurely because in his day concussion treatment was "alright you remember your name, get back out there" and was nowhere near as sophisticated as it is today. He's not wrong about some of the stuff, but trying to skirt around CTE being most common in football players and other athletes that endure repetitive head trauma diminishes what he's trying to say.

the wicked child

Postby the wicked child » Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:53 am

It's very bizarre to hear Hoge taking that stance. I remember hearing a story about one of his concussions where they found him on a different floor of the hospital and he had no idea how he got there.

Maybe he doesn't remember what he no longer remembers...

You'd think someone who suffered the effects firsthand would not be a denier...

Silentom

Postby Silentom » Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:54 am

Bad brains are bad.

Viva la Ben

Postby Viva la Ben » Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:57 am

Trumpwrong.gifv

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:03 am

It's very bizarre to hear Hoge taking that stance. I remember hearing a story about one of his concussions where they found him on a different floor of the hospital and he had no idea how he got there.

It is quite odd coming from him. Often makes me wonder if he's a paid shill for the league.
During a road game in 1994 against the Kansas City Chiefs, Hoge suffered a concussion and, five days later, the team doctor approved him to resume playing during a telephone call without examining him to determine if he had recovered; he was still suffering post-concussion symptoms.

Hoge sustained another concussion several weeks later, and had to be resuscitated after he stopped breathing. He spent 48 hours in the intensive-care unit and was forced to retire due to brain injury. Hoge had to learn to read again and experienced memory loss, confusion and headaches. He later sued the Bears team doctor and won a $1.55 million judgment.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:30 am

It is quite odd coming from him. Often makes me wonder if he's a paid shill for the league.
During a road game in 1994 against the Kansas City Chiefs, Hoge suffered a concussion and, five days later, the team doctor approved him to resume playing during a telephone call without examining him to determine if he had recovered; he was still suffering post-concussion symptoms.

Hoge sustained another concussion several weeks later, and had to be resuscitated after he stopped breathing. He spent 48 hours in the intensive-care unit and was forced to retire due to brain injury. Hoge had to learn to read again and experienced memory loss, confusion and headaches. He later sued the Bears team doctor and won a $1.55 million judgment.
This was more or less his opinion. He was basically ripping some study done with 12 football players and he said something to the effect of, SAMPLE SIZE - my kid got a concussion in the shower - concussions don't happen at youth level, or he alluded to that. Was really bizarre.

Pavel Bure

Postby Pavel Bure » Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:02 pm

Yeah it was really bad. I just baffled DVE had him on to talk about that.

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:40 pm

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:44 pm

He tries too hard.

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:41 pm

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:48 pm

He tries too hard.

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:03 pm

I wonder if he lurks here and just posts sht to see how long it shows up in this thread

columbia

Postby columbia » Sun Nov 12, 2017 4:30 pm

The amazing thing about sports media people is that their entire job is to critique the performance of others, yet they stomp their feet (and haul out the "you wish you had my job" routine) at the slightest bit of criticism of them.

It's the behavior of a poorly formed adult.

NailedPenguin
Location: The biggest post, in the biggest thread, in the biggest forum in town. Wooooo!

Postby NailedPenguin » Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:00 pm

I wonder if he lurks here and just posts sht to see how long it shows up in this thread
His attempt at jokes leads me to believe he's not that clever.

pens9192

Postby pens9192 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:35 pm

Translation: Colin has a hammered uncle that says this

I only have one uncle and while he was born in Western PA hasn't lived here in 30 years, doesn't care for football (probably doesn't know who "Ben" is), and isn't an alcoholic. But nice generalization.

I listened to Ed Bouchette on the Fan this morning..hadn't heard him in awhile. Wow, does he sound miserable. Don't blame him though.

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:26 pm

Former PSM related - Giannotti named Boomer’s new co-host on WFAN’s morning show. That’s a pretty big deal for him.

columbia

Postby columbia » Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:28 pm

Craig Carton out on a ponzi scheme rap.
wtf?????

Nittany Ned

Postby Nittany Ned » Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:53 am

What does everything think of the PG’s Pens coverage this year? Dave may be missed, but Mackey and Werner have been studs imo.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:13 am

I haven't read anything newspaper related in ages. They all get the same quotes.

dodint

Postby dodint » Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:02 pm

. . . from Twitter.

NailedPenguin
Location: The biggest post, in the biggest thread, in the biggest forum in town. Wooooo!

Postby NailedPenguin » Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:07 pm

Oh I almost forgot. I reached the apex of my Fan afternoon show Buffalo song obsession. I literally heard it, and I do mean literally, the second I hit the button to switch over on my way home yesterday. My work here is done. What my work was, I have no idea. But I can only conclude that if I listened to a full show on any given day, they play that every 15 or 20 seconds. That's the only explanation.

MrKennethTKangaroo

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:15 pm

The PG's pens coverage this year has been good imo. Nittany Ned deserves credit for not mentioning UPS in his post, too.

robbiestoupe

Postby robbiestoupe » Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:04 pm

Oh I almost forgot. I reached the apex of my Fan afternoon show Buffalo song obsession. I literally heard it, and I do mean literally, the second I hit the button to switch over on my way home yesterday. My work here is done. What my work was, I have no idea. But I can only conclude that if I listened to a full show on any given day, they play that every 15 or 20 seconds. That's the only explanation.
You made it further than I did. Every time I switched, I would hear "Pittsburgh Spoooooorts Radio, Ninety Three Seveeeeeen.......THE FAN!!" I can't stand that jingle, and they haven't changed it since they came to Pittsburgh.

NAN

Postby NAN » Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:16 pm

I immediately thought of PCU and the guy watching TV to prove there is a Michael Caine and Gene Hackman on at any point in the day.