Pittsburgh Sports Media Thread

pens9192

Postby pens9192 » Mon Oct 28, 2019 2:38 pm

Anyone else now unblocked by DK on Twitter? I was looking at a thread over the weekend and saw his tweets appear. I confirmed I was able to load his profile. I had been blocked for almost two years. Weird..

NailedPenguin
Location: The biggest post, in the biggest thread, in the biggest forum in town. Wooooo!

Postby NailedPenguin » Mon Oct 28, 2019 3:34 pm

Anyone else now unblocked by DK on Twitter? I was looking at a thread over the weekend and saw his tweets appear. I confirmed I was able to load his profile. I had been blocked for almost two years. Weird..

Yeah I mentioned it in the Buccos thread. He must have been doing another round of spring cleaning on his blocked list. I've been unblocked a couple times, then blocked quickly again probably because I wouldnt follow him back after he weirdly followed me.

NAN

Postby NAN » Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:34 am

The other Pgh sports media were making fun of DK saying he blocked everyone. He probably went through, unblocked a lot of people, and then tweeted he only had like 25 people blocked.

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Tue Oct 29, 2019 1:41 pm

Not Pittsburgh Sports Media related, but the **** seems to be hitting the fan over at Deadspin. The new owners sent an internal "stick to sports" memo yesterday, the editorial staff made a post (which was later removed) about who readers could contact to complain about the new auto-play ads that pop up in the middle of every post, there have been zero sports related posts since 6 PM yesterday, and Barry Petchesky, who has been with the site since 2007, was fired this morning.

NAN

Postby NAN » Tue Oct 29, 2019 1:44 pm

Not Pittsburgh Sports Media related, but the **** seems to be hitting the fan over at Deadspin. The new owners sent an internal "stick to sports" memo yesterday, the editorial staff made a post (which was later removed) about who readers could contact to complain about the new auto-play ads that pop up in the middle of every post, there have been zero sports related posts since 6 PM yesterday, and Barry Petchesky, who has been with the site since 2007, was fired this morning.
Good, I hate Deadspin.

dodint

Postby dodint » Tue Oct 29, 2019 1:45 pm

That explains the over the top "Nationals didn't stick to sports" article, then.

NAN

Postby NAN » Tue Oct 29, 2019 1:55 pm

That explains the over the top "Nationals didn't stick to sports" article, then.
I unfollowed after the "Antonio Brown rightfully called Radiers GM a Cracker" article.

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Tue Oct 29, 2019 1:57 pm

They haven't done anything worthwhile since Manti Te'o, but I always read Magary's features. There's something enjoyable about watching this disaster play out publicly.

Ted

Postby Ted » Tue Oct 29, 2019 2:03 pm

Maybe HamNo can unionize deadspin and they can circle jerk themselves into an even greater irrelevancy.

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Tue Oct 29, 2019 2:04 pm

They are unionized.

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Tue Oct 29, 2019 2:38 pm

deadspin sucks, good

pens9192

Postby pens9192 » Tue Oct 29, 2019 3:45 pm

This Deadspin talk reminded me of this gem: https://deadspin.com/pittsburghs-cuttin ... 797940/amp

iamjs
Location: "Hey, who needs hockey? Didn't the Steelers just win the Super Bowl?"

Postby iamjs » Tue Oct 29, 2019 3:52 pm

deadspin sucks, good
good indeed, and good riddance.

The one thing I liked about them was the "your team sucks: (insert NFL team name)" feature, where they let fans of their own team air their grievances about their fans.

But after the third time they ran it, I realized they were recycling the same content and really wasn't all that creative.

NailedPenguin
Location: The biggest post, in the biggest thread, in the biggest forum in town. Wooooo!

Postby NailedPenguin » Tue Oct 29, 2019 5:43 pm

Muellzy. Huge Deadspin fan apparently. Let me show you my shocked face

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Tue Oct 29, 2019 5:51 pm

Wait, Deadspin is supposed to be a sports site? I honestly didn't know that. Every time I see a link to that site, it's almost always something political.

The only site out of that whole family that I even read occasionally is Jalopnik.

NailedPenguin

Postby NailedPenguin » Tue Oct 29, 2019 5:56 pm

Muellzy. Huge Deadspin fan apparently. Let me show you my shocked face

Also I saw that sara civian that worked here for 5 minutes crying about it. That's even less suprising

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:52 pm

They haven't done anything worthwhile since Manti Te'o, but I always read Magary's features. There's something enjoyable about watching this disaster play out publicly.
This is exactly my thought. I still like the Funbag.

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Wed Oct 30, 2019 6:54 pm

Deadspin update: Looks like comments have been removed from the site (because that will help things), Farmers Insurance has pulled out of the $1MM pop-up autoplay video ad campaign that pissed off people in the first place, and the vast majority of their writers quit today. Magary seems to be staying put (at least for now), because while the majority of Deadspin writers were a bunch of pissy millennials, he has a wife and kids and is no longer a contracted writer by GQ.

Ted

Postby Ted » Wed Oct 30, 2019 6:55 pm

My timing might be off because it has been so long but it seems like that place went down hill after Will Leitch left, got dropped in the shitter when AJ took over, and is now finally getting flushed.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Thu Oct 31, 2019 7:09 am

Deadspin update: Looks like comments have been removed from the site (because that will help things), Farmers Insurance has pulled out of the $1MM pop-up autoplay video ad campaign that pissed off people in the first place, and the vast majority of their writers quit today. Magary seems to be staying put (at least for now), because while the majority of Deadspin writers were a bunch of pissy millennials, he has a wife and kids and is no longer a contracted writer by GQ.
Yup, Drew is no dummy...

iamjs

Postby iamjs » Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:28 am

I guess you can call this Pittsburgh/Sports Media related, but last night one of my favorite tweets was finally deleted from twitter.

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:30 am

Yup, Drew is no dummy...
Narrator: he resigned

iamjs

Postby iamjs » Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:44 am

Yup, Drew is no dummy...
or is he?

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:33 am

Ha. Well I guess that's that.

dodint

Postby dodint » Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:44 am

Much like his book The Postmortal, Magary's tenure with Deadspin ended abruptly and without satisfaction.