Pittsburgh Sports Media Thread

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Wed Oct 24, 2018 3:07 pm

Will anyone miss the Fan when it's gone?
I won't.

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Wed Oct 24, 2018 3:16 pm

I'll miss having a 24 hour local sports radio station. I won't miss The Fan's plethora of commercials or bargain bin hosts.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Wed Oct 24, 2018 3:23 pm

The only thing I can figure is that people have this stuff on in the background all day and don't listen to it actively. I don't understand how people can listen to it with any serious ability.

MrKennethTKangaroo

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Wed Oct 24, 2018 3:25 pm

I'll miss having a 24 hour local sports radio station. I won't miss The Fan's plethora of commercials or bargain bin hosts.
There are certain things in this world that I recognize the value of having it around, even if I don't use it. Example: I don't go to the library nearly as much as a should, but I know that libraries are important and can have a gr8 impact on a lot of peoples lives. There used to be a bakery in the kangaroo's neighborhood, and while I only ever went there once (because I don't like spending $4 on a cupcake or whatever), but I recognize that bakeries are the types of things that make a neighborhood unique or special or identifiable.

THe fan in the same way. I hate the fan, but something seems very minor league about a city that doesn't have full time local sports radio.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Wed Oct 24, 2018 3:30 pm

I don't understand why they can't get hosts that are well versed on the background, the data or the strategy. I remember one saturday morning this summer I turned it on after a Pirate win and the guy was pontificating about the Pirates and potential trade deadline stuff and the guy didn't even know what Dickerson's contract status was. How am I going to listen to this guy consider future moves when he has no clue? It wasn't like he was like, let me look this up, he was assuming Dickerson was a FA and talking about the deadline under that assumption.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Wed Oct 24, 2018 3:33 pm

I don't understand why they can't get hosts that are well versed on the background, the data or the strategy. I remember one saturday morning this summer I turned it on after a Pirate win and the guy was pontificating about the Pirates and potential trade deadline stuff and the guy didn't even know what Dickerson's contract status was. How am I going to listen to this guy consider future moves when he has no clue? It wasn't like he was like, let me look this up, he was assuming Dickerson was a FA and talking about the deadline under that assumption.
FOR THE CONTROVERSIAL HOT TAKES. That's all that station seems to be anymore, especially with the PM team. It's repeated hot takes.

NailedPenguin
Location: The biggest post, in the biggest thread, in the biggest forum in town. Wooooo!

Postby NailedPenguin » Wed Oct 24, 2018 6:41 pm

Boy was that a treat on the drive home hearing Poni and mullzy drone on and on that McDavid is the best player in the world, crosby's #2 and everyone knows it except the people in Pittsburgh, and those people "arent gonna like hearing it." Just two guys tellin like it is and they don't care who they offend.

pens9192

Postby pens9192 » Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:01 pm

If you are going to do a hot take show, at least make them good. Those two clowns have the worst. I couldn’t believe I heard them say today they’d pick McDavid over Crosby in Game 7 of the Cup final. Flabbergasted.

LITT
Location: Those who don't listen will eventually be surrounded by people with nothing to say

Postby LITT » Thu Oct 25, 2018 7:17 am

its still remarkable to me that people keep flocking back to the fan even though their product is terribad

iamjs
Location: "Hey, who needs hockey? Didn't the Steelers just win the Super Bowl?"

Postby iamjs » Thu Oct 25, 2018 7:45 am

it's like a train wreck: you know it's gonna be a disaster but you can't look away.

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:13 am

Boy was that a treat on the drive home hearing Poni and mullzy drone on and on that McDavid is the best player in the world, crosby's #2 and everyone knows it except the people in Pittsburgh, and those people "arent gonna like hearing it." Just two guys tellin like it is and they don't care who they offend.
I listened for about 10 minutes and was embarrassed for all parties involved. Probably the worst radio segment in history.

Viva la Ben

Postby Viva la Ben » Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:28 am

I tune out when it becomes a cringe fest. Like the above, or when Poni was saying the Steelers don’t care about winning because they did t trade for Patrick Peterson.

NAN

Postby NAN » Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:28 am

They are the king of the hottakes. People fall for them though and that's how their show gets ratings.

NailedPenguin
Location: The biggest post, in the biggest thread, in the biggest forum in town. Wooooo!

Postby NailedPenguin » Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:08 am

I listened for about 10 minutes and was embarrassed for all parties involved. Probably the worst radio segment in history.

"Crosby said so himself! He was asked last week who was the best right now and he said McDavid!" Poni seriously used that to back up his stance.

NailedPenguin

Postby NailedPenguin » Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:47 am

lol I just stumbled across this picture of Rossi

iamjs
Location: "Hey, who needs hockey? Didn't the Steelers just win the Super Bowl?"

Postby iamjs » Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:57 am

why so close?

pens9192

Postby pens9192 » Thu Oct 25, 2018 12:19 pm

I tune out when it becomes a cringe fest. Like the above, or when Poni was saying the Steelers don’t care about winning because they did t trade for Patrick Peterson.
It can be fun to go listen to segments from their previous shows when they go off the deep end like that. They devote a whole show to that topic and then two days later it’s a moot point because Peterson came out and said he’s staying put. Ok I guess the Steelers are fine now..

Madden is more realistic and just said they were never going to do it in the first place because that is how the Steelers do business but he didn’t tack on that the team doesn’t want to win.

pens9192

Postby pens9192 » Thu Oct 25, 2018 12:20 pm

lol I just stumbled across this picture of Rossi

Yohe gets that close to Cullen. “Hi Dad”

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Thu Oct 25, 2018 3:11 pm

Sport coats with jeans = super ******

llipgh2

Postby llipgh2 » Thu Oct 25, 2018 3:51 pm

Why do you all torture yourselves listening to the local sports shows? :lol:

RonnieFranchise

Postby RonnieFranchise » Thu Oct 25, 2018 4:11 pm

Yinz know yinz want teh Fan gear

https://937thefan.radio.com/fan-store

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Thu Oct 25, 2018 4:30 pm

I’m overwhelmed by the variety.

Nittany Ned

Postby Nittany Ned » Thu Oct 25, 2018 4:39 pm

Poni's got one thing right. The World Series sucks. Who cares about it outside of Bahhhston/LA (who literally doesn't stand a chance anyway)?

pens9192

Postby pens9192 » Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:20 pm

Can’t wait to wear my gear to the Jim Colony thing at TopGolf next week :roll:

pens9192

Postby pens9192 » Sun Oct 28, 2018 4:56 pm

Hope Joe Buck gets paid enough. He did the World Series Tuesday and Wednesday in Boston. The Texans game in Houston on Thursday then the WS in LA on Friday in what was basically two games in a row. Then back for the WS last night. Did he call a NFL game today? That’s be insane.