Pittsburgh Sports Media Thread

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:12 pm

So glad I now know what "STEELERS AGAINST RACISM" has to say about this.

NAN

Postby NAN » Mon Nov 02, 2020 9:39 am

I think Nubyjas Wilborn has passed up Allan Saunders as my most annoying Pgh sports media guy.

He feels literally every single thing is racist in this world. Paul Zeise goes after him all the time pointing out while there definitely are some racists, he (Nubyjas) loves painting everything with a broad brush and digs into every little corner to find some form of "racism" in everything.

NAN

Postby NAN » Mon Nov 02, 2020 9:41 am

I may have to put DK and his "best sport worst league" and digging into everything Bettman does as "bad" over Saunders white knighting everything as well. So Saunders dropped to third.

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Mon Nov 02, 2020 1:08 pm

I found nans twitter

NAN

Postby NAN » Mon Nov 02, 2020 1:38 pm

Ha. Not me. I don't tweet, just read.

He took people saying Tomlin is a "players coach" as a racist comment.

Yet Wanny was called that at Pitt in this town and Hurdle was called that numerous times as well. Sean Peyton is called a "players coach".

I've also seen a ton of people giving Tomlin props, and I think a lot of people realized he's a really good coach after going 8-8 last year with a guy named Duck at QB and he was able to get productive play from the clown show of AB and Bell while they were here.

The only criticism that is earned is he has to do better in the playoffs. But I'd rather have Tomlin be the coach for the next 20 years and have a shot every year. I'm a huge Tomlin supporter and have called my friends idiots for wanting him fired. There are not a ton of good coaches out there. We are lucky to have one.

But Wilborn is constantly bringing race into everything. I love that Zeise pretty much always tells him to STFU. There are legit race issues, it takes away from those issues when you are constantly blaming everything on race. Even if it isn't race related.

It cheapened the Me Too movement too and took away focus from legit issues when females started to claim rape when someone would say hi to them.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Tue Nov 03, 2020 7:04 am

Wilborn is a spineless schmuck. I made a very innocuous reply to one of his outrageous tweets a few months ago, very respectfully, and now I'm blocked. Only time on Twitter I've ever been blocked.

MrKennethTKangaroo

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Tue Nov 03, 2020 7:34 am

We have all been around the city of pittsburgh long enough to witness plenty of media stroke fest for the stillers. Right now, from the last guy on the practice squad all the way to the Rooney family, the media is stroking this team at levels not seen in a long time.

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Tue Nov 03, 2020 9:42 am

I think we all need something positive to rally behind, to be honest.

Since we seem to complain about media figures in this thread, I would like to praise Alex Stumpf, who is the Pirates beat writer for DK Pittsburgh. He mixes the advanced stats with a good "feel" for baseball, which is refreshing.

NAN

Postby NAN » Tue Nov 03, 2020 9:48 am

Since we seem to complain about media figures in this thread, I would like to praise Alex Stumpf, who is the Pirates beat writer for DK Pittsburgh. He mixes the advanced stats with a good "feel" for baseball, which is refreshing.
Agree. He has a very balanced approach. And doesn't get involved in all the pgh media "drama" as far as I can tell. :thumb:

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Tue Nov 03, 2020 9:56 am

nesbitt is good too imo

pens9192

Postby pens9192 » Tue Nov 10, 2020 2:38 pm

Are they done doing the 20/20 updates on the PM Team? They amazingly actually took calls yesterday because they said they had more time because of not doing the updates..something about Jim/Jeff Hathorn out working the beat..I didn't hear all of it.

I only listen to an hour of the PM Team so I don't know if its the same on the other shows or not. I assume its still there for the Morning Show.

RonnieFranchise

Postby RonnieFranchise » Tue Nov 10, 2020 3:21 pm

Honestly cannot remember when the last time was I listened to local sports talk in this tahn. Probably not since the Pens were eliminated. Maybe a little when they traded Murray.

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Tue Nov 10, 2020 4:12 pm

Agree. He has a very balanced approach. And doesn't get involved in all the pgh media "drama" as far as I can tell. :thumb:
I also like Stumpf. He was the last piece of usefulness at Bucs Dugout. His departure was the nail in the coffin for what was an awesome site way back in the day.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Tue Nov 10, 2020 4:23 pm

Honestly cannot remember when the last time was I listened to local sports talk in this tahn. Probably not since the Pens were eliminated. Maybe a little when they traded Murray.
Since before COVID, save for the 5 minutes I'm in my truck anymore. It has been FANTASTIC.

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Fri Nov 13, 2020 11:06 am

I'm not sure if this was widely known, but DK Pittsburgh Sports was covering Pitt, Penn State, and Duquesne athletics again.

DK just pulled the plug on travel for these sports, until Fall 2021 due to all of the cancelations and postponed games. Can't blame them really.

NAN

Postby NAN » Fri Nov 13, 2020 11:14 am

I'm not sure if this was widely known, but DK Pittsburgh Sports was covering Pitt, Penn State, and Duquesne athletics again.

DK just pulled the plug on travel for these sports, until Fall 2021 due to all of the cancelations and postponed games. Can't blame them really.
He'll blame Gary Bettman.

NAN

Postby NAN » Sun Nov 29, 2020 7:38 am

DK the man for months was ripping Bettman and the nhl for not deciding to play fast enough, applauding the NFL for moving forward and not being worried about the virus, etc has now written an article that maybe this is serious and sport leagues should maybe take a step back and pause or think things more critically.

This all after his mom is in the hospital with covid.

MR25

Postby MR25 » Sun Nov 29, 2020 12:38 pm

He was presented with new information and changed his tune...

What's wrong with that, setting aside the fact that it's DK?

dodint

Postby dodint » Sun Nov 29, 2020 2:39 pm

Every person without an agenda knew sports leagues during a pandemic is a bad idea. Particularly without a bubble process.

NAN

Postby NAN » Sun Nov 29, 2020 4:42 pm

He was presented with new information and changed his tune...

What's wrong with that, setting aside the fact that it's DK?
Serious? What new info has come out since march that would totally change his tune? Or even last week when he was saying the same.

MR25

Postby MR25 » Sun Nov 29, 2020 5:13 pm

You just said "this all after his mom was in the hospital" so, as someone who doesn't read his stuff, I assume is recent?

NAN

Postby NAN » Sun Nov 29, 2020 5:34 pm

The man has lectured, talked down to people, bashed over and over again the NHL trying to be careful and praising the NFL for going for bore into their season, even up to earlier this week.

Yes, his mom just got it and now he has changed his tune. Meanwhile, nothing has changed in knowing that older people that get it, can get seriously ill (although he says his mom while in the hospital is ok).

Maybe if he wasn't so bullheaded on his stance after 9 months I'd be easier on his change of stance. If you read his stuff you'd fully understand where I'm coming from.

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Sun Jan 03, 2021 9:58 am

The Athletic has three articles in the last week about the Penguins, with training camp opening today. And the latest is the tenth anniversary (!!!) of Sid’s concussion at the Winter Classic. The second newest is about the Penguins taking the PPP loan, and how that’s a bad look.

I admittedly don’t subscribe to it for Pittsburgh sports content, I happily use DK’s site for that...which has Molinari pumping out Penguins articles nearly daily. I use the Athletic for Clemson content, sigh, which is good...but I just realized that the Athletic’s Clemson reporter - who covered the school’s athletic programs for a daily newspaper prior to going to the Athletic - only covers football. Looking for basketball or heaven forbid baseball coverage, you’ll have to go back to a daily paper. Which now has heavy paywalls in place.

iamjs
Location: "Hey, who needs hockey? Didn't the Steelers just win the Super Bowl?"

Postby iamjs » Sun Jan 03, 2021 12:43 pm

The Athletic has three articles in the last week about the Penguins, with training camp opening today. And the latest is the tenth anniversary (!!!) of Sid’s concussion at the Winter Classic. The second newest is about the Penguins taking the PPP loan, and how that’s a bad look.

I admittedly don’t subscribe to it for Pittsburgh sports content, I happily use DK’s site for that...which has Molinari pumping out Penguins articles nearly daily. I use the Athletic for Clemson content, sigh, which is good...but I just realized that the Athletic’s Clemson reporter - who covered the school’s athletic programs for a daily newspaper prior to going to the Athletic - only covers football. Looking for basketball or heaven forbid baseball coverage, you’ll have to go back to a daily paper. Which now has heavy paywalls in place.
I'm sure you're already using outline.com, but I found out searching for the article title and grabbing it out of of cached mode also works in some cases.

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Fri Jan 22, 2021 3:54 pm

Oof, Paul