Pittsburgh Sports Media Thread

pens9192

Postby pens9192 » Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:20 pm

Read these in order:

https://twitter.com/ThePoniExpress/stat ... 2667145216
https://twitter.com/ThePoniExpress/stat ... 2524847104

Funny what a few days makes.. Poni is suitably getting roasted for the first tweet in the replies for the second tweet.

pens9192

Postby pens9192 » Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:34 pm

Katie Brown moving to Montana to....cover high school sports: https://medium.com/@ktbrwn.85/moving-to ... 6d62200767

A little over a year ago she was covering the Caps for NHL.com, and now covering high school sports in booming Kalispell, Montana. Sounds like a movie plot. Good luck to her, maybe its for the best. But looks like the DK incident and writing about it hurt her career.

iamjs
Location: "Hey, who needs hockey? Didn't the Steelers just win the Super Bowl?"

Postby iamjs » Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:30 pm

maybe there's more to the story that I don't know about, but is it wise to move across the country with no savings and having to depend on a gofundme to get you there?

https://www.gofundme.com/katies-moving-to-montana

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:02 pm

Katie Brown moving to Montana to....cover high school sports: https://medium.com/@ktbrwn.85/moving-to ... 6d62200767

A little over a year ago she was covering the Caps for NHL.com, and now covering high school sports in booming Kalispell, Montana. Sounds like a movie plot. Good luck to her, maybe its for the best. But looks like the DK incident and writing about it hurt her career.
She will be living with her parents in two years.

NailedPenguin
Location: The biggest post, in the biggest thread, in the biggest forum in town. Wooooo!

Postby NailedPenguin » Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:09 pm

and now covering high school sports in booming Kalispell, Montana. Sounds like a movie plot.

on the Hallmark channel. Starring Lacey chabert. Then she'll meet some hunky guy who gets on her nerves for a while and then they end up married on a farm. Toss in some shenanigans when both their families visit for the holidays. A tale as old as time.

Or so I've heard thats how those movies end up.

Nittany Ned

Postby Nittany Ned » Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:26 am

On a lighter note, saw some time ago that Celina Pompeani was appointed to Point Park University’s Board of Trustees. That seems quite impressive for someone so young.

LITT
Location: Those who don't listen will eventually be surrounded by people with nothing to say

Postby LITT » Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:34 am

I’m sure it has everything to do with her professional portfolio

Nittany Ned

Postby Nittany Ned » Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:55 am

I’m sure it has everything to do with her professional portfolio
Meh, the Pompeani name aside, she’s pretty talented in her own right.

NailedPenguin
Location: The biggest post, in the biggest thread, in the biggest forum in town. Wooooo!

Postby NailedPenguin » Sat Aug 04, 2018 4:31 pm

She's an emmy winner and a 2 time Stanley Cup Champion. Got the rings to prove it. She works hard and is talented so she obviously hasn't had things handed to her, but no way having those connections haven't helped. She started with an on air anchor position at WTOV, this was every bit of 5 years ago and I think she's only like 25 or 26 now.

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:29 pm

New Pens writer started at DKPittsburghsports today. Good interview with three Pens enforcers: Tamer, Laraque, and Caulfield.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:49 pm

She's an emmy winner and a 2 time Stanley Cup Champion. Got the rings to prove it. She works hard and is talented so she obviously hasn't had things handed to her, but no way having those connections haven't helped. She started with an on air anchor position at WTOV, this was every bit of 5 years ago and I think she's only like 25 or 26 now.
I feel this way about her. There's no doubt that her name helped her get a job back here, but there's also no doubt in my mind she puts the hours in. She posts a lot to Instagram about the stuff she's doing, and she pretty much never stops.

NailedPenguin

Postby NailedPenguin » Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:13 pm

I would like to point out I wasn't taking her Emmy or Stanley Cup rings seriously. I laugh that she even gets those.

Her twitter every single morning is incredible. Just 4 hours of "Traffic at xx is backed up due to a crash"..."Traffic is being rerouted to xy..." "The crash at xyz is now cleared." .. "Delays are building as a crash is being moved to the shoulder along road abc..."

How does anyone get around this city in the mornings?
Last edited by NailedPenguin on Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:14 pm

I would like to point out I wasn't taking her Emmy or Stanley Cup rings seriously. I laugh that she even gets those.

Her twitter every single morning is incredible. Just 4 hours of "Traffic at xx is backed up due to a crash"..."Traffic is being rerouted to xy..." "The crash at xyz is now cleared." .. "Delays are building at a crash is being moved to the shoulder along road abc..."

i mean, that's her job

NailedPenguin

Postby NailedPenguin » Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:14 pm

Her twitter every single morning is incredible. Just 4 hours of "Traffic at xx is backed up due to a crash"..."Traffic is being rerouted to xy..." "The crash at xyz is now cleared." .. "Delays are building at a crash is being moved to the shoulder along road abc..."

i mean, that's her job

Really? Do tell

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:22 pm

You might not take it seriously, but she def does more promotional work than I can recall - which while you may not feel is work, she literally travels to places all over the place to promote.

I'd just think after a while work is work, even if it's semi-fun things you have to discuss. She pretty much doesn't stop, and people are paying her, so I'm not going to fault her for that.

Nittany Ned

Postby Nittany Ned » Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:37 pm

New Pens writer started at DKPittsburghsports today. Good interview with three Pens enforcers: Tamer, Laraque, and Caulfield.
“Big Country” Cody Tucker:

“Much like my ballyhooed introductory profile photo shows; what you see is what you get. I like my Coors beer, heavy metal, I have a lot of tattoos and a shaggy beard. My Twitter feed is typically filled with barbs at the fans of my rival teams — look out, Colorado State and BYU loyalists — and intellectual types who drink craft beer with oranges on the rim.”

NailedPenguin

Postby NailedPenguin » Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:52 pm

Great story Kaboly. What are the chances?!
Mark Kaboly
‏@MarkKaboly
Picking up some dry cleaning and as the lady is looking for it and other clothes go whipping by, I see a Malkin jersey, Polamalu jersey and Lambert jersey go flying by. Only in Pittsburgh.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:56 pm

“Big Country” Cody Tucker:

“Much like my ballyhooed introductory profile photo shows; what you see is what you get. I like my Coors beer, heavy metal, I have a lot of tattoos and a shaggy beard. My Twitter feed is typically filled with barbs at the fans of my rival teams — look out, Colorado State and BYU loyalists — and intellectual types who drink craft beer with oranges on the rim.”
I don't want anyone who refers to themselves as Big Country to cover Pens. That's gonna be a no from me, dawg.

NailedPenguin

Postby NailedPenguin » Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:58 pm

— look out, Colorado State and BYU loyalists — and intellectual types who drink craft beer with oranges on the rim.”

and look out, Mullsey

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:22 pm

The only times I ever remember DK exists is when you jabronis bring him up. Life is good

iamjs
Location: "Hey, who needs hockey? Didn't the Steelers just win the Super Bowl?"

Postby iamjs » Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:41 pm

— look out, Colorado State and BYU loyalists — and intellectual types who drink craft beer with oranges on the rim.”

and look out, Mullsey
If he's referencing Blue Moon as "craft beer with oranges on the rim", that's level 0.5 for those craft beer intellectual types.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:27 am

Great story Kaboly. What are the chances?!
Mark Kaboly
‏@MarkKaboly
Picking up some dry cleaning and as the lady is looking for it and other clothes go whipping by, I see a Malkin jersey, Polamalu jersey and Lambert jersey go flying by. Only in Pittsburgh.
What are the chances people would dry clean jerseys that have the instructions "dry clean only"?!!?!

Nittany Ned

Postby Nittany Ned » Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:12 am

Better yet, what kind of fine garments is Mark Kaboly taking to the dry cleaners?

Nothing like people who are yinzers themselves constantly yucking it up about yinzers.

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:14 am

I find it hard to believe that Kaboly owns anything that needs to be dry cleaned. Maybe he’s sentimental about the Superman shirt he was wearing when The Goonies found him.

Nittany Ned

Postby Nittany Ned » Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:20 am

I’m about to purchase a subscription to the Athletic, mostly because of Audrey’s coverage of PSU. I’m pretty underwhelmed by who they chose to hire for the Steelers and Penguins beats though. Like don’t tell me they really offered 6 figure, or even close to 6 figure salaries for those guys. Rob is great, but I just don’t care enough about the Pirates.