Pittsburgh Sports Media Thread

iamjs
Location: "Hey, who needs hockey? Didn't the Steelers just win the Super Bowl?"

Postby iamjs » Tue Mar 22, 2022 11:46 am

I had the misfortune of tuning into the 105.9 the xs morning show. My god is it terrible
Haven't listened to it yet, and just have zero desire to.
I would rather drive to work in dead silence than listen to that show ever again.

I usually have Sirius on, but had The X on when I was driving home the night before and wanted to catch the last part of the Pens game. Started my car the next morning and was wondering who these hacks were. AFAIK, it's not even a syndicated show that runs across the country. It seems very local since very local since they talk about Pittsburgh weather, the Pens, etc.

I made it about two minutes before changing it, which was probably 90 seconds longer than it should have been.

MrKennethTKangaroo

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Tue Mar 22, 2022 12:01 pm

They were on the air in Philly on their version of the X. Not sure if they are just Philly and Pittsburgh or what. Either way they stink.

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Tue Mar 22, 2022 12:26 pm

It’s a garbage show. The main dude is originally from Lebo. I remember seeing that it’s based out of LA and somehow syndicated in at least 30 cities.

iamjs
Location: "Hey, who needs hockey? Didn't the Steelers just win the Super Bowl?"

Postby iamjs » Tue Mar 22, 2022 3:26 pm

They were on the air in Philly on their version of the X. Not sure if they are just Philly and Pittsburgh or what. Either way they stink.
It’s a garbage show. The main dude is originally from Lebo. I remember seeing that it’s based out of LA and somehow syndicated in at least 30 cities.
Indeed it is. I did some googling since making my post and I guess it was a really big deal to them (the X) that the main host is a former Lebo dude. Meh, whatever. Show is still garbage.

Maybe I'm outside of their target demo and/or am not really a big morning fan show in general, but aside from the X press releases I haven't heard of a single person say anything positive about the show.

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Tue Mar 22, 2022 3:36 pm

In the 3 minutes I listened to it wasn't even slightly humorous, which is bad news for a morning show.

MrKennethTKangaroo

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Tue Mar 22, 2022 9:27 pm

Good for Abby for getting a promotion though

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Wed Mar 23, 2022 4:53 pm

Bummer. I liked when he replaced Madden, but I guess he'll just fade into the mists.

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Wed Mar 23, 2022 5:16 pm

Hmmmm. I liked Crowley on Steelers coverage and when he filled in for Madden, which were the only times I ever heard him because I'm not bothering to find wherever the hell ESPN Radio is at. Wonder where he fits in on The Fan.

Sam's Drunk Dog

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog » Wed Mar 23, 2022 5:40 pm

He had his own show on ESPN 970 for a bit from 3-7. I think it was actually on from 3-4 or 5 and then replayed over again until 7. It had it's moments but during the pandemic it was just him and he did a lot of non-sports filler like his top songs or movies from a certain year that I found annoying. I only listened to it on iHeart every once in a while when working and then noticed it wasn't on one day although he was still listed on the station's lineup.

RonnieFranchise

Postby RonnieFranchise » Wed Mar 23, 2022 6:15 pm

I swear Madden announced this on his show last week when I happened to be listening before the Pens game on Tuesday, so I am puzzled why it's only official today.

Madden also actually had not awful things to say about Poni and Muller, believe it or not. Must be mellowing.

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Tue Mar 29, 2022 11:55 am

Is there a bridge he hasn't burned?

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Tue Mar 29, 2022 12:12 pm

The more I read it, the more I think Ric is a turd - and Madden is well Madden. Madden said he was done effectively immediately, and Ric wouldn't let anyone take the high-road.

the wicked child

Postby the wicked child » Tue Mar 29, 2022 12:29 pm

Flair definitely threw the lit match on the gasoline here. Both are jagoffs, but if Flair just STFU nothing happens here.

Viva la Ben

Postby Viva la Ben » Tue Mar 29, 2022 12:31 pm

If there is any beef you want to pay attention to it would be a beef between a local radio shock jock and a septuagenarian professional wrestler.

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Tue Mar 29, 2022 12:58 pm

flair seems to be a dadhole but it's just a shame when bad things happen to good people

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Tue Mar 29, 2022 1:39 pm

Ric is definitely a turd, everything with Madden is just always heavily laced with drama.

Also, Crowley's new gig is apparently "handle weekend shows and fill in for other talent, as well as take on producing duties". Seems like a professional downgrade to me. Meanwhile The Fan adds another name to the list of people stuck on the weekends while being better than all of their M-F hosts.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Tue Mar 29, 2022 1:47 pm

I'll pretty much never hear Crowley again then lol.

pens9192

Postby pens9192 » Tue Mar 29, 2022 6:09 pm

Crowley's first show was supposed to be filling in for Zeise? Management there is idiots because you send Zeise packing ASAP and replace him with Crowley. People will get too comfortable and realize how much better he is than Zeise when Crowley fills in for him.

I know he had a baby recently, maybe this schedule works better for his family but seems like to fill in when others has off to be too inconsistent when you have a small family. I know I hated that when I my kids were small and hell, I still do. So, what its him, Shelby, Pomp, and Paul Alexander on the weekends? I never listen so I might be wrong. Also, how does Alexander still have a show and not Tab Douglas? Idiots

pens9192

Postby pens9192 » Tue Mar 29, 2022 6:13 pm

Time for DK to be pissed and complain that people are complaining about Nutting and payroll when DK just wants to talk baseball, lmao. A tale as old as time.. Gonna be another long season:

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Tue Mar 29, 2022 9:33 pm

Yea his talking baseball was defending the cheapness of the Pirates. Dude's a trash bag.

dodint

Postby dodint » Tue Mar 29, 2022 10:53 pm

Nah, trash bags are useful.

Joegap

Postby Joegap » Wed Mar 30, 2022 8:07 am

Wasn't DK always the first person to attack the cheapness of the Pirates? #OURTEAMNOTHIS Did they gave him inside access or something, I do not understand the 360

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Wed Mar 30, 2022 8:25 am

DK was the first person to crying to the mayor, and having the mayor respond about doing something to force the Pirates to act. DK can change his story as many times as he wants about it being about management, etc. But that dude did a 180 hard, and now is even more insufferable about the Pirates. He's another gatekeeper/shill for an absolute **** team, and I won't understand why, outside of him being paid by Nutting.

robbiestoupe

Postby robbiestoupe » Wed Mar 30, 2022 9:08 am

him being paid by Nutting.

Pavel Bure

Postby Pavel Bure » Wed Mar 30, 2022 11:21 am

Crowley's first show was supposed to be filling in for Zeise? Management there is idiots because you send Zeise packing ASAP and replace him with Crowley. People will get too comfortable and realize how much better he is than Zeise when Crowley fills in for him.

I know he had a baby recently, maybe this schedule works better for his family but seems like to fill in when others has off to be too inconsistent when you have a small family. I know I hated that when I my kids were small and hell, I still do. So, what its him, Shelby, Pomp, and Paul Alexander on the weekends? I never listen so I might be wrong. Also, how does Alexander still have a show and not Tab Douglas? Idiots
Zeise must have dirt on whomever runs that station. He’s the embodiment of confidently incorrect. So many ummmsss and uhhhhssss and shuffling papers and just being slightly unhinged. He’s not a polished media personality and it comes off as a high-schooler in AV club doing a broadcast.