dodint

Pittsburgh Sports Media Thread

Postby dodint » Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:45 pm

and yet...

iamjs
Location: "Hey, who needs hockey? Didn't the Steelers just win the Super Bowl?"

Postby iamjs » Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:44 pm

So TheAthletic hired Rob Rossi, practically kept it under wraps and didn't announce it and Seth Rorabaugh was defending the decision in the comments of Rossi's first article.
I wanted to wait and allow things to cool down before offering my $0.02.

1.) Rob's role with us will be as an enterprise writer. That means he will cover all sports and won't be on a beat. We expect him to operate in the same fashion Katie Strang does for our Detroit site or Tom Reed for the Cleveland/Columbus site(s).
2.) Rob is more than capable of that type of work. As a former (and now, current) co-worker, I can attest to that. I can't speak for his work at any other employer. It's not my place. I can tell you he will be performing a completely different task than he had with his previous outlet.
3.) Any errors in copy are on me. I read/edit most of the Pittsburgh copy (outside of the occasions I am not available). Grief for that can be directed at me.
4.) If anyone has any other concerns, and clearly you do, please direct them to me via e-mail: srorabaugh@theathletic.com. I will be happy to address them in a 1-on-1 fashion.
Thank you.
It doesn't stop any of it from being a trash hire. The fact that TheAthletic didn't do the parade of discounts and announcements, pretty much tells you all you need to know.

Both my DK subscription and Athletic subscription run out in 2-3 months. Can't say I'll ever pay for news again.
but isn't the part of being an enterprise writer is that you are knowledgeable and versatile? Rob - or I'm sorry, Robert - is neither one of those. If I'm going to him for news, it's basically... I can't think of a reason why I would go to him for news. That's not being funny either. Like everybody else has pointed out, he's made a gimmick of his writing.

I still think it's funny that him and Yohe are working together after the shots across twitter during Yohe's departure.

pens9192

Postby pens9192 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:31 am

Cody Tucker from DKPS is moving back to Michigan for personal reasons. Is that a new record for exit time for DKPS?

DK says nothing will change about their hockey coverage. Technically something did change though..

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:37 am

That whole hire was a bit puzzling. He was hired months before he actually started, worked training camp and a few games, missed a few games (gout?) and now peaced out.

slappybrown

Postby slappybrown » Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:46 am

Cody Tucker previously a ....college football writer. This dude may be great and does know hockey, but much was made at making sure they made the right choice and a DK criticism of Katie Brown was that she didn't know the game...ok then. Cody is moving his family here from Michigan. Hopefully it works out.

Nittany Ned

Postby Nittany Ned » Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:31 am

Big Country, we hardly knew ye.

NailedPenguin
Location: The biggest post, in the biggest thread, in the biggest forum in town. Wooooo!

Postby NailedPenguin » Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:43 am

If there was one thing this town needed, it was another person to live tweet penguins practices.

iamjs

Postby iamjs » Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:51 am

New Pens writer started at DKPittsburghsports today. Good interview with three Pens enforcers: Tamer, Laraque, and Caulfield.
“Big Country” Cody Tucker:

“Much like my ballyhooed introductory profile photo shows; what you see is what you get. I like my Coors beer, heavy metal, I have a lot of tattoos and a shaggy beard. My Twitter feed is typically filled with barbs at the fans of my rival teams — look out, Colorado State and BYU loyalists — and intellectual types who drink craft beer with oranges on the rim.”
He will be a hit with the Kenny Chesney crowd that likes hockey.
The last person in Pittsburgh who gave himself the name Big Country didn't work out too well.

Guess this means this is the second person named Big Country that didn't work out for Pittsburgh sports.

iamjs

Postby iamjs » Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:54 am

Cody Tucker from DKPS is moving back to Michigan for personal reasons.
Must have been all the intellectual types who drink craft beer with oranges on the rim.

Viva la Ben

Postby Viva la Ben » Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:58 am

Is Pomp a regular on the cook & joe show?

NailedPenguin
Location: The biggest post, in the biggest thread, in the biggest forum in town. Wooooo!

Postby NailedPenguin » Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:01 pm

I think day after Steelers games. I listened a few weeks ago and thought I could actually tolerate a Pomp-Starkey show. But then again if was after the KC game so it was extra entertaining.

Viva la Ben

Postby Viva la Ben » Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:05 pm

Yeah, Cook either is silent, going on a sanctimonious diatribe or stepping over the conversation. Put him on overnights solo.

pens9192

Postby pens9192 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:20 pm

Cody Tucker previously a ....college football writer. This dude may be great and does know hockey, but much was made at making sure they made the right choice and a DK criticism of Katie Brown was that she didn't know the game...ok then. Cody is moving his family here from Michigan. Hopefully it works out.
I forgot about that. So the family just moved here and now time to move back or maybe never moved? I guess it’s moving back for medical reasons but it could be that his wife didn’t like it or something. Who knows.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:58 pm

If there was one thing this town needed, it was another person to live tweet penguins practices.
I honestly don't understand how many takes are needed too. Everyone writes nearly the same thing, opinion and factual. It's just over-saturation.

NailedPenguin

Postby NailedPenguin » Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:30 pm

"Why would you get your sports news from a music station?" That is so stupid.

pens9192

Postby pens9192 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:53 pm

I honestly don't understand how many takes are needed too. Everyone writes nearly the same thing, opinion and factual. It's just over-saturation.
I follow nearly all the sports media guys on Twitter so when something like a practice or a Tomlin press conference happens I see multiple tweets in a row from different people pretty much saying the same thing.

So easy to get overloaded with information these days. Imagine if we still had to wait for the evening news and morning paper to find out about practice.

dodint

Postby dodint » Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:55 pm

Maybe rank them in order of proficiency, follow the top two, and delete the rest.

iamjs

Postby iamjs » Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:02 pm

Yeah I don't get this either. It's not like it's Abby or Whip are going to practices or post-games and providing analysis.

Even if you get past MM's gimmick of being a pain in the ass to callers, he has been a writer since at least the 90s who happens to host a show on a music station.

RonnieFranchise

Postby RonnieFranchise » Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:20 pm

Well I don't like 311 enough to get my music there!

iamjs

Postby iamjs » Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:41 pm

Not sure if this is coincidence, but they were playing 311's cover of Love Song around the time that you posted that.

NailedPenguin

Postby NailedPenguin » Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:51 pm

When I listen to Madden on iHeart, the music they play while the X is on commercial is just horrendous. I'd rather listen to those bozos on the B Team tell me about zerorez for the 400th time.

Nittany Ned

Postby Nittany Ned » Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:14 pm

When I listen to Madden on iHeart, the music they play while the X is on commercial is just horrendous. I'd rather listen to those bozos on the B Team tell me about zerorez for the 400th time.
Come ride with me
Through the veins of history
I'll show you a god who
Falls asleep on the job

And how can we win
When fools can be kings
Don't waste your time
Or time will waste you

No one's gonna take me alive
The time has come to make things right
You and I must fight for our rights
You and I must fight to survive

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:13 pm

Tuned into the PM Joke to see how long it took for Mueller to make an ass out of himself on Bell v. Conner. Bout 30 seconds.

RonnieFranchise

Postby RonnieFranchise » Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:27 pm

Not sure if this is coincidence, but they were playing 311's cover of Love Song around the time that you posted that.
Well I don't listen to the X music so........

pens9192

Postby pens9192 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:06 am

Tuned into the PM Joke to see how long it took for Mueller to make an ass out of himself on Bell v. Conner. Bout 30 seconds.
Mueller is a flip flopper. Now he’s trying to be profound stating he’s the only Bell “advocate” in the Pittsburgh media.

**** the Fan. They only have 20-22 minutes an hour of actual non-update sports content. Half the time I tune in to them for sports it’s a commercial or promotion so I tune into the music station and stay there.

Speaking of tuning in, listen to us and our zillion ads on the Radio.com app!