Pittsburgh Sports Media Thread

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Thu May 18, 2017 9:29 am

I read the article Rob Rossi posted about the fired ESPN hockey dude. That's it.

NailedPenguin
Location: The biggest post, in the biggest thread, in the biggest forum in town. Wooooo!

Postby NailedPenguin » Thu May 18, 2017 9:32 am

Maybe POS was harsh, I did post that during the Penguins game....but I still think he seems wholly unlikable IRL. Unlike with Madden, I've never heard someone say something like they ran into Rossi somewhere and he was pretty cool. Seems like only his colleagues in the work place like him. And he certainly doesn't do anything to make anyone think otherwise.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Thu May 18, 2017 9:53 am

He appears to have the worst reputation with everyone, imo judging by twitter interactions. I don't see many people go out of their way to speak with him via twitter like the other reporters do with each other. Same for DK - unless someone works for him.

NailedPenguin
Location: The biggest post, in the biggest thread, in the biggest forum in town. Wooooo!

Postby NailedPenguin » Thu May 18, 2017 9:57 am

John Phillips, who granted is no longer in the media, had a nice mini rant about Rossi a week or so ago. Not even sure what it was about, but he only refers to Rob as "the fiction writer."

Silentom

Postby Silentom » Thu May 18, 2017 10:28 am

So glad Rossi has faded into near nothingness. I usually forget he still exists, until someone mentions him in here.

dodint

Postby dodint » Thu May 18, 2017 11:15 am

has anyone here visited upgruv
My only exposure to Rossi is through 5AF people posting his content.

pens9192

Postby pens9192 » Thu May 18, 2017 3:15 pm

I don't mean to go off on a rant here, but...The Fan has never been good and I stopped regularly listen to it a while ago. Sometimes I will turn it on on stints to see what they are talking about but man has it gotten worse. With David Todd gone, the only good local sports talk left is Mark Madden.

There is very little "talk" on their lineup and when there is the quality is usually not good. I feel like the station (outside of Bucco games) is made up of endless commercial breaks and redundant "news" updates with only a little bit of talk thrown in. Tuesday morning I was in the car from 7:35am-8am. Turned on 93.7 at 7:35, they went to commercials. 7:40 is the update (man, Jim Colony makes me nervous listening to him talk) 7:45 update over, I think a short commercial, then to Pittsburgh Dad Jr. running his mouth, Josh Miller chimes in, and Colony stumbles over his comment. Now time for *another* commercial break at 7:53. Not to mention its the "the Fan Morning Show (or whatever show) powered by Bowser [where business is boomin'!] from the M Media studios or the 20/20 update powered by XYZ)" I know they need all the revenue they can get from sponsors but jesus, I don't know what kind of station I'm listening to anymore. Its a walking advertisement.

I listened to the first hour of Cook and Poni the day after Game 7 last week. Same little talk. They finally got to calls in the bottom of the hour and the first caller takes forever to get going ("I love the show, thanks for having me on, how are you guys" etc) then when he starts talking he brings up Matt Murray. Poni and Cook rightly rip on the caller. They get to a second caller who is a flaming yinzer that has the worst cell connection in the area. Poni and Cook respond and ooh, time for another commercial update before the next update. If you were on hold, you probably have to hold on another 45 minutes before they might have another caller segment. Just no flow happens on their shows. Hard to listen to.

Also, in this day and age is there any sports fan who didn't know the score and/or details of the Pens game last night that they would actually be informed listening at the 10:20am update? Who is their audience for those?

columbia

Postby columbia » Thu May 18, 2017 3:17 pm

I don't mean to go off on a rant here, but...The Fan has never been good and I stopped regularly listen to it a while ago. Sometimes I will turn it on on stints to see what they are talking about but man has it gotten worse. With David Todd gone, the only good local sports talk left is Mark Madden.

There is very little "talk" on their lineup and when there is the quality is usually not good. I feel like the station (outside of Bucco games) is made up of endless commercial breaks and redundant "news" updates with only a little bit of talk thrown in. Tuesday morning I was in the car from 7:35am-8am. Turned on 93.7 at 7:35, they went to commercials. 7:40 is the update (man, Jim Colony makes me nervous listening to him talk) 7:45 update over, I think a short commercial, then to Pittsburgh Dad Jr. running his mouth, Josh Miller chimes in, and Colony stumbles over his comment. Now time for *another* commercial break at 7:53. Not to mention its the "the Fan Morning Show (or whatever show) powered by Bowser [where business is boomin'!] from the M Media studios or the 20/20 update powered by XYZ)" I know they need all the revenue they can get from sponsors but jesus, I don't know what kind of station I'm listening to anymore. Its a walking advertisement.

I listened to the first hour of Cook and Poni the day after Game 7 last week. Same little talk. They finally got to calls in the bottom of the hour and the first caller takes forever to get going ("I love the show, thanks for having me on, how are you guys" etc) then when he starts talking he brings up Matt Murray. Poni and Cook rightly rip on the caller. They get to a second caller who is a flaming yinzer that has the worst cell connection in the area. Poni and Cook respond and ooh, time for another commercial update before the next update. If you were on hold, you probably have to hold on another 45 minutes before they might have another caller segment. Just no flow happens on their shows. Hard to listen to.

Also, in this day and age is there any sports fan who didn't know the score and/or details of the Pens game last night that they would actually be informed listening at the 10:20am update? Who is their audience for those?
The local CBS radio stations are all pretty scripted out by the corporate mothership. That's not an excuse, but the problem isn't limited to PGH.

pens9192

Postby pens9192 » Thu May 18, 2017 3:19 pm

The local CBS radio stations are all pretty scripted out by the corporate mothership. That's not an excuse, but the problem isn't limited to PGH.
Ah ok, I didn't know that. In that case, screw CBS.

Sam's Drunk Dog

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog » Thu May 18, 2017 5:46 pm

Factorial

Postby Factorial » Thu May 18, 2017 5:58 pm

Is that the former Group W?

dodint

Postby dodint » Fri May 19, 2017 7:00 am

Source of the post I know they need all the revenue they can get from sponsors but jesus, I don't know what kind of station I'm listening to anymore. Its a walking advertisement.
The Pens pre-game on 105.9 is really hard to listen to because everything you can think of is sponsored by some plumber or car dealer and it's an endless stream of plugs. And if you swim through all of that you're rewarded with Josh **** Getzoff.

columbia

Postby columbia » Fri May 19, 2017 9:43 am

I've been thinking about the bad media issue and wonder if it's an issue of poor expectations. I grew up listening to Myron and Stan on WTAE and it was like being handed manna from heaven.

Now, I'm well, a bit older and if I have any expectations, it's that I'm looking for some quick insight or take that hasn't flashed across my brain (or provided by one of the posters here). So my thought is that Myron and Stan never really knew much about the subjects at hand, but I was willing/able to place them on a pedestal. having said that, if some 12 year old kid listens to Starkey?Mueller...well, God help them.

Sorry for rambling in an incoherent way...

Nuge

Postby Nuge » Fri May 19, 2017 12:49 pm

I've been thinking about the bad media issue and wonder if it's an issue of poor expectations. I grew up listening to Myron and Stan on WTAE and it was like being handed manna from heaven.

Now, I'm well, a bit older and if I have any expectations, it's that I'm looking for some quick insight or take that hasn't flashed across my brain (or provided by one of the posters here). So my thought is that Myron and Stan never really knew much about the subjects at hand, but I was willing/able to place them on a pedestal. having said that, if some 12 year old kid listens to Starkey?Mueller...well, God help them.

Well, you're in the right thread for that

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Fri May 19, 2017 12:52 pm

I think the difference is one of preparation. Guys like Myron and Stan (and Mark Madden) had lots of experience in broadcasting/radio before they got to the hosting part so they knew how to run a radio show (with emphasis on show) when we heard them.

A lot of these guys are really young or have little to no experience and it shows.

Factorial

Postby Factorial » Fri May 19, 2017 1:51 pm

I think the difference is one of preparation. Guys like Myron and Stan (and Mark Madden) had lots of experience in broadcasting/radio before they got to the hosting part so they knew how to run a radio show (with emphasis on show) when we heard them.

A lot of these guys are really young or have little to no experience and it shows.
:thumb: When Stan and Myron were on, we had 2 hours of sports talk a day. The talent pool is too small to fill hours and hours a day on multiple stations.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Fri May 19, 2017 2:14 pm

Not to mention most of the guys on the fan are part-timers with the papers. Jack of all trades, master of none.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Tue May 23, 2017 7:15 am

http://deadspin.com/report-mikes-dont-l ... 1795445288
Multiple ESPN staffers, including current and former employees who have had roles with the show, told SI.com last week that the once-warm relationship between partners Mike Greenberg and Mike Golic has turned icy over the last year, prompting a number of ESPNers to predict that the show will conclude long before this December’s contractual end. The sources said Greenberg and Golic are not talking to each other off the set—and hardly at all before the show or during commercial breaks.

Through an ESPN spokesperson, both Greenberg and Golic declined comment.

“It’s really a poisonous atmosphere right now,” said one longtime ESPNer who has worked on the show. “Most of us don’t see the show lasting through its contractual end [which is believed to be the end of December]. But I give both these guys immense credit because when the light comes on, you would not know what’s going on. They are pros on air.”

“They are marvelous actors on set,” said another ESPN on-air staffer, who speaks to both Greenberg and Golic. “But they barely even make eye contact with each other these days.”

LITT
Location: Those who don't listen will eventually be surrounded by people with nothing to say

Postby LITT » Tue May 23, 2017 7:48 am

josh getzoff my radio

columbia

Postby columbia » Tue May 23, 2017 7:50 am

I bet Golic voted for Trump. :pop:

Pavel Bure

Postby Pavel Bure » Tue May 23, 2017 8:39 am

Ah ok, I didn't know that. In that case, screw CBS.
Whoever is in charge has to be an old head radio guy that won't admit the world has changed. They need to know the time, they need to know the scores. Internet? **** that this is radio.

NailedPenguin

Postby NailedPenguin » Tue May 23, 2017 9:04 am

I've tried to listen to the Fan thru the Tune In radio app, every so often on my lunch break or as background noise in the morning, sometimes 15-20 minutes will pass before any actual talk is aired. I've tried listening to other CBS sports shows in different parts of the country and its the same. So yeah, it is CBS Radio as a whole.
http://deadspin.com/report-mikes-dont-l ... 1795445288
Multiple ESPN staffers, including current and former employees who have had roles with the show, told SI.com last week that the once-warm relationship between partners Mike Greenberg and Mike Golic has turned icy over the last year, prompting a number of ESPNers to predict that the show will conclude long before this December’s contractual end. The sources said Greenberg and Golic are not talking to each other off the set—and hardly at all before the show or during commercial breaks.

“They are marvelous actors on set,” said another ESPN on-air staffer, who speaks to both Greenberg and Golic. “But they barely even make eye contact with each other these days.”
But their wives are best friends (you may have heard them mention that a time or two) they'll make them see it thru. I could see Greeny getting dragged to Golic's house by his ear and his wife standing there until he apologizes and shakes hands.

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Tue May 23, 2017 7:22 pm

NailedPenguin

Postby NailedPenguin » Tue May 23, 2017 7:28 pm

I'm turning 35 in less than 2 weeks so I can only assume that "went in on" means she passionately disagreed? I do know that if Cowherd offers a rebuttal that's straight fire, it means he "clapped back." But thats as far as I know.

FreeCandy44

Postby FreeCandy44 » Wed May 24, 2017 3:50 pm

Did something happen with DK on Sports today on twitter? Something about cancelled subscriptions?