Pittsburgh Sports Media Thread

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Fri Mar 08, 2024 9:22 am

lol what a **** loser

NAN

Postby NAN » Fri Mar 08, 2024 9:30 am

I also love in comments and on twitter some of the fans reactions to this year. Rossi (I'm not a fan, but) and Pomp both put out tweets that we are seeing the beginnings of rolling into a new generation of Penguin hockey, and that from 2007 to 2022, we've had an unbelievable stretch of greatness that so few teams get to see. 15 years straight of playoffs, 4 finals appearances, 3 cups, and just watching generational talents excel.

Responses were predictable. Some people were complaining that 3 cups weren't enough, this team was mismanaged for years, should have fired Byslma, GMJR, Shero, Sullivan, etc much earlier, we wasted picks and the future to win nothing, etc. Ownership sucks, everyone sucks.

You knew this was coming. We went all in, sometimes it worked, other times it didn't, it's hard to win and keep being this good. Yes, it's disappointing the last 2 years, and then the playoffs since 2018, but overall, we've been blessed with good hockey and great players for all but 3 of the past 40 years or so. Now it's time to pay the piper. All teams go through this, and it is especially difficult when you want to keep the band together (Letang, Malkin, Crosby). But personally, I want to keep them. We don't get to see players like that often. We've been lucky.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Fri Mar 08, 2024 9:45 am

I also love in comments and on twitter some of the fans reactions to this year. Rossi (I'm not a fan, but) and Pomp both put out tweets that we are seeing the beginnings of rolling into a new generation of Penguin hockey, and that from 2007 to 2022, we've had an unbelievable stretch of greatness that so few teams get to see. 15 years straight of playoffs, 4 finals appearances, 3 cups, and just watching generational talents excel.

Responses were predictable. Some people were complaining that 3 cups weren't enough, this team was mismanaged for years, should have fired Byslma, GMJR, Shero, Sullivan, etc much earlier, we wasted picks and the future to win nothing, etc. Ownership sucks, everyone sucks.

You knew this was coming. We went all in, sometimes it worked, other times it didn't, it's hard to win and keep being this good. Yes, it's disappointing the last 2 years, and then the playoffs since 2018, but overall, we've been blessed with good hockey and great players for all but 3 of the past 40 years or so. Now it's time to pay the piper. All teams go through this, and it is especially difficult when you want to keep the band together (Letang, Malkin, Crosby). But personally, I want to keep them. We don't get to see players like that often. We've been lucky.
Only reason it's hard is because Crosby is still so good.

I think there are a lot of interesting hinge points to look at and criticize. But 3 cups is still great.

RonnieFranchise

Postby RonnieFranchise » Fri Mar 08, 2024 10:01 am

3 cups weren't enough,
Those people are idiots.

Lemieux won 2. Gretzky won 4. The Islanders wagon won 4. In the modern era 3 titles +/- 1 seems to be the going rate for super elite players/teams. If they don't win another, and barring a miracle they won't, I'm good with this.

dodint

Postby dodint » Fri Mar 08, 2024 10:02 am

The three-peat would have been sexy but I don't hold that against them. I do hold it against the '93 team. :lol:

NAN

Postby NAN » Fri Mar 08, 2024 10:15 am

I think there are a lot of interesting hinge points to look at and criticize. But 3 cups is still great.
Yeah, the Crosby being so good makes it hard, but you've also had a large drop off with your other elite talent in Malkin, and the other two "core" pieces of Letang and Karlson are good but not great anymore.

You've also drained your prospect pool going all in a few years in a row, so you don't have homegrown talent coming up, and most young talent on other teams are extended to keep on their teams, so you have to get a bunch of late 20's early 30s guys to come in to fill the gaps. Which leads us to being an old team.

Honestly though, the thing that boggles my mind is just the lack of want in that lockerroom. Crosby is the ultimate leader and winner. You'd think the lockerroom would follow that. It seems like these vets just rely on him, and maybe Malking and Letang, and those 3 can't carry at team anymore.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Fri Mar 08, 2024 10:24 am

Yeah, the Crosby being so good makes it hard, but you've also had a large drop off with your other elite talent in Malkin, and the other two "core" pieces of Letang and Karlson are good but not great anymore.

You've also drained your prospect pool going all in a few years in a row, so you don't have homegrown talent coming up, and most young talent on other teams are extended to keep on their teams, so you have to get a bunch of late 20's early 30s guys to come in to fill the gaps. Which leads us to being an old team.

Honestly though, the thing that boggles my mind is just the lack of want in that lockerroom. Crosby is the ultimate leader and winner. You'd think the lockerroom would follow that. It seems like these vets just rely on him, and maybe Malking and Letang, and those 3 can't carry at team anymore.
I would say the inability to just get/keep competent role players is amazing. Some of the moronic things they've done around bottom line/defensive pairings is absurd.

And of course the botched goaltending.

Orlando Penguin

Postby Orlando Penguin » Fri Mar 08, 2024 12:09 pm

I don’t follow DK but was curious to comments on his article which I didn’t read. It’s funny that he only allows accounts he follows to comment. That’s a real Communist attitude to take.

the wicked child

Postby the wicked child » Fri Mar 08, 2024 1:04 pm

Had to endure some of Starkey and Zeise over lunch. Dear God, You'd think Dubas ran over their pets or something with the way they are acting.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion on the trade, but these 2 were pulling that stunt that comes up often in political arguments where someone dismisses the opposing position as being in denial, and I have no time for that horse ****.

iamjs
Location: "Hey, who needs hockey? Didn't the Steelers just win the Super Bowl?"

Postby iamjs » Sat Mar 09, 2024 12:15 pm

I was gonna drop this in the deadline thread.

I want to think this is some decent FAN trolling but based on some of the callers around here, you really can't tell.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Sat Mar 09, 2024 9:57 pm

lol DK blocked/muted me after I said that his article comparing the Jake trade to the Jagr trade was ridiculous and just based on hating Dubas.

He called me a dweeb and blocked me lmao.

Ad@m

Postby Ad@m » Sat Mar 09, 2024 10:07 pm

Ha Ha Ha :lol:

DK is such a puss. We know he’s one of the 79 guests that’s creeping 5AF at the moment.

NAN

Postby NAN » Mon Mar 11, 2024 8:43 am

Ha. Good job @Morkle

His talking point for his Q&A on his site this morning is the "post Jake collapse". Ah, they've been collapsing well before Jake was traded. It's one of the reasons he was traded.

FlightlessBird

Postby FlightlessBird » Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:13 pm

DK is causing drama again. He’s doing an AMA about his business while on his way to NJ. The pertinent tweets…

Joegap

Postby Joegap » Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:20 pm

good lord. Just when you think he can't get any worse

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:33 pm

What an asshat

FlightlessBird

Postby FlightlessBird » Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:51 pm

And now DK replied.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:39 pm

Shocker another moment where DK uses his stupid AMAs to fluff his ego.

MR25

Postby MR25 » Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:41 pm

What a NTP66

pens9192

Postby pens9192 » Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:40 pm

And now DK replied.
Looks like DK didn't even know about Danny's tweet, someone screenshot it and put it in one of DK's ego boosting tweets, then DK hunts out Danny's tweet and replies with this..what an ass. Makes sense as to a reason why so many people leave DK's site.

Didn't DK switch away from doing everything because it was harming his health or something?

Pavel Bure

Postby Pavel Bure » Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:30 pm

The three-peat would have been sexy but I don't hold that against them. I do hold it against the '93 team. :lol:
I think they should have had two back to back runs. It’s still crazy they couldn’t beat that Montreal team with Halak.

But man 5 cups in my life time is unreal. Seeing 3 of them in real time is something I’ll probably never experience again. It’s been an awesome run.

iamjs
Location: "Hey, who needs hockey? Didn't the Steelers just win the Super Bowl?"

Postby iamjs » Wed Mar 20, 2024 7:58 am

If I worked for DK, I might be a little concerned if he's talking about devolving and being on the scene again.

NAN

Postby NAN » Wed Mar 20, 2024 11:26 am

DK still trashing on Dubas and FSG in today's column. Basically said they don't know how to manage, and he doesn't want to hear the situation they are in trying to win while also restock, and what Hextall did.

It's one thing to criticize some of the moves, or questions some things, but you can tell DK is just butthurt over no longer being the "special" guy to the Pens org.

Especially probably because Dubas gave a sit down interview to Lebrun on the Athletic yesterday.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Thu Mar 21, 2024 8:55 am

DK write another hit piece on Dubas. Ends with "I'm not about to bury him." DK is a trashbag.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Thu Mar 21, 2024 9:00 am

I thought I saw something a bit where he said his guentzel piece had the most clicks or something. Basically pretty clear to me he is trolling for engagement.