Pittsburgh Sports Media Thread

NAN

Postby NAN » Wed May 18, 2022 9:17 am

So, I tuned into Madden (and The X in general) for the first time in a couple years to listen to hockey talk when the playoffs started... and I have to ask - wtf is the Woody Show?
I believe the new morning show on the X. Although I'm not 100% sure.

Joegap

Postby Joegap » Wed May 18, 2022 9:52 am

You are correct, and it is terrible. I would rather listen to white noise, or the same red hot chili peppers song on repeat.

pens9192

Postby pens9192 » Wed May 18, 2022 2:22 pm

BTW, Chris Carter is leaving DK.
looks like he went to the Steelers Now site/blog. Seems like a downgrade, right? Maybe he's getting paid better, offered benefits, tired of DK's antics, all of the above, etc.. Just like how Molinari went to Pittsburgh Hockey Now.

They replaced Carter with Matt Williamson

Kane

Postby Kane » Wed May 18, 2022 2:43 pm

You are correct, and it is terrible. I would rather listen to white noise, or the same red hot chili peppers song on repeat.
Just the previews for it sounded terrible. I can only imagine.

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Wed May 18, 2022 2:51 pm

BTW, Chris Carter is leaving DK.
looks like he went to the Steelers Now site/blog. Seems like a downgrade, right? Maybe he's getting paid better, offered benefits, tired of DK's antics, all of the above, etc.. Just like how Molinari went to Pittsburgh Hockey Now.

They replaced Carter with Matt Williamson
1.) How does "Now" have the money to pay anyone? Who is subscribing with such frequency that Vukovcan has managed to build a multi-level sports media network that has branched into other cities? Does Beaver County Auto pay that much for sponsorships?

2.) I would consider Williamson an upgrade from Carter and am surprised that DK is the best he could do.

pens9192

Postby pens9192 » Wed May 18, 2022 3:03 pm

of course Pittsburgh Dad Jr. gotta flex this achievement:

pens9192

Postby pens9192 » Wed May 18, 2022 4:07 pm

2.) I would consider Williamson an upgrade from Carter and am surprised that DK is the best he could do.
I wouldn't be surprised if DK hired him just so Madden can't use him anymore on his show.

Orlando Penguin

Postby Orlando Penguin » Wed May 18, 2022 6:05 pm

It would never ever happen but as bad as that Rossi 'scoop' was, if he got raked over the coals enough by the right people (as in people in the Pens organization), then he might have to out the source to save his own ass. If I'm running media relations in the organization, I'd be royally pissed at him for writing that crap and I'd have to think hard about granting a credential if he's going to continue to play tabloid journalist.

iamjs
Location: "Hey, who needs hockey? Didn't the Steelers just win the Super Bowl?"

Postby iamjs » Wed May 18, 2022 8:36 pm

Why did Rutherford get pissed at Rossi a few years ago and called him ice cream boy?
After the final buzzer, emotions ran hot, with a big scrum erupting behind the Rangers’ net. Emotions were running hot in the underbelly of the CONSOL Energy Center as well in the aftermath of the 2-1 loss.

Penguins general manager Jim Rutherford had it out with Pittsburgh Tribune-Review columnist Rob Rossi, who has been one of the GM’s staunchest critics this season.

Rossi shared his account of the tense interaction in his column:

"After exiting a media elevator and while walking with other reporters to the Penguins' dressing room, Rutherford addressed this columnist, a frequent critic since his hiring last June, in an obscenity-laced diatribe.

“Thanks for your support,” Rutherford said repeatedly.

“You're a (expletive) jerk,” Rutherford said repeatedly.

Rutherford followed the jerk comment with a suggestion to “go sell ice cream now,” then a challenge to look him in the eye, which I did while explaining my role as Trib Total Media's lead sports columnist.

My role is to provide opinion."

“Well, your opinion is (expletive),” Rutherford said
https://www.cbssports.com/nhl/news/peng ... columnist/

The link in the article to Rossi's column is now deleted, gone from Google cache, and won't load in archive.org.

Link: http://triblive.com/sports/penguins/820 ... uins-final

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Wed May 18, 2022 10:00 pm

It would never ever happen but as bad as that Rossi 'scoop' was, if he got raked over the coals enough by the right people (as in people in the Pens organization), then he might have to out the source to save his own ass. If I'm running media relations in the organization, I'd be royally pissed at him for writing that crap and I'd have to think hard about granting a credential if he's going to continue to play tabloid journalist.
As much as I hate Pittsburgh Dad Jr., he had a point. Rossi broke that news on Radio, but wouldn't put it on his official publication website. So why not?

Orlando Penguin

Postby Orlando Penguin » Wed May 18, 2022 10:12 pm

Exactly. If I saw a player doing something sketchy, I'm not running to my friends who host programs on SiriusXM and talking about it there first. I'm going to my people at GC to do some more investigating. What Rossi did is tabloid BS and he's a freakin baby for reacting to Pittsburgh Dad Jr. calling him out about it.

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Wed May 18, 2022 10:17 pm

Who does Rossi work for? They should fire him.

Orlando Penguin

Postby Orlando Penguin » Wed May 18, 2022 10:18 pm

Who does Rossi work for? They should fire him.
The Athletic. Readers raked him over the coals in the comments section in his most recent article.

the wicked child

Postby the wicked child » Wed May 18, 2022 10:23 pm

I don't recall if it was after the Shero firing or the Rutherford hiring, Lemieux and Burkle hand picked media members for sit down interviews and Rossi was not selected.

At that point, he basically turned heel on the Pens and was even more of an ass than usual, immediately predicting the Pens would miss the playoffs and criticizing everything the team did, especially JR.

I don't wish ill health upon him, but I would greatly prefer if he crawled back into a cave. There's enough trash in the Pittsburgh sports media already.

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Wed May 18, 2022 10:24 pm

Yeah I mean if I paid for the athletic and the pens writer is "breaking news" elsewhere then that's kinda not right

NAN

Postby NAN » Thu May 19, 2022 8:47 am

Why did Rutherford get pissed at Rossi a few years ago and called him ice cream boy?
After the final buzzer, emotions ran hot, with a big scrum erupting behind the Rangers’ net. Emotions were running hot in the underbelly of the CONSOL Energy Center as well in the aftermath of the 2-1 loss.

Penguins general manager Jim Rutherford had it out with Pittsburgh Tribune-Review columnist Rob Rossi, who has been one of the GM’s staunchest critics this season.

Rossi shared his account of the tense interaction in his column:

"After exiting a media elevator and while walking with other reporters to the Penguins' dressing room, Rutherford addressed this columnist, a frequent critic since his hiring last June, in an obscenity-laced diatribe.

“Thanks for your support,” Rutherford said repeatedly.

“You're a (expletive) jerk,” Rutherford said repeatedly.

Rutherford followed the jerk comment with a suggestion to “go sell ice cream now,” then a challenge to look him in the eye, which I did while explaining my role as Trib Total Media's lead sports columnist.

My role is to provide opinion."

“Well, your opinion is (expletive),” Rutherford said
https://www.cbssports.com/nhl/news/peng ... columnist/

The link in the article to Rossi's column is now deleted, gone from Google cache, and won't load in archive.org.

Link: http://triblive.com/sports/penguins/820 ... uins-final
Ha, then they went on to win the Cup 2 years in a row. Rossi sucks.

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Thu May 19, 2022 9:41 am

The GMJR era was quite the roller coaster.

pens9192

Postby pens9192 » Thu May 19, 2022 1:07 pm

Yeah I mean if I paid for the athletic and the pens writer is "breaking news" elsewhere then that's kinda not right
If its true Rossi scooped his co-worker Yohe on the story and went on the radio first then its worse. Backstabbing co-worker.

pens9192

Postby pens9192 » Thu May 26, 2022 2:37 pm

Pittsburgh Dad Jr. is a bigger dumb*** than I thought. He says he sucks with technology but can't figure out how to work a sound machine (this one in particular is a baby product manufacturer, lol) so his wife is leaving for a work trip and filmed this instructional video on how to work it because he's screwed it up before. Watch what finger she uses to to press the buttons, haha. She has to hate him.

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Thu May 26, 2022 2:40 pm

Watch what finger she uses to to press the buttons, haha. She has to hate him.
I use that same finger (it's a good inch longer than my pointer finger) to push buttons like that so I'm guessing it's just that.

pens9192

Postby pens9192 » Fri Jun 03, 2022 7:04 pm

DK so obtuse, he damn knows why people are wondering what happened to the out of town scoreboard being gone at PNC Park. Yeah, we know a**hole its still still there, but its not a physical scoreboard any longer so now the Buccos can run more ads in its place half the time. But he has to go out of his way to make everyone feel stupid. POS, another example why people are rubbed the wrong way by him.

dodint

Postby dodint » Fri Jun 03, 2022 7:25 pm

People out here be askin...

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Fri Jun 03, 2022 7:27 pm

Nobody is asking.

FlightlessBird

Postby FlightlessBird » Sun Jun 05, 2022 1:41 am

But he has to go out of his way to make everyone feel stupid. POS, another example why people are rubbed the wrong way by him.
I’m not really a fan of this word because I think it gets overused these days, but I realized tonight that DK is like the master gaslighter. He starts crap on twitter, but then acts like he didn’t or, like you said, that fans/followers are stupid for thinking X. The “our team, not his” is the perfect example of that. But also what he did earlier today with this tweet:

I’m not going to search for the tweets, but I know for a fact that just in the last week or so he had multiple tweets/QTs sarcastically pointing out payroll differences between the Pirates and other teams. Oh, but now he has to go see what the crazies are saying on Facebook about payroll.

Ugh, I just can’t stand him. I actually think he might be bipolar or something. What else would explain his behavior? (Other than just being an ass)

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Sun Jun 05, 2022 10:53 am

He's just trying to point the spotlight on himself to drive traffic to his website.