Wine, Scotch, Rum, Tequila, Vodka, and the like

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:27 pm

I'm not a wine drinker at all, and I admit that most of the time I do buy wine I'm totally getting something from Château Screwcap.
Absolutely nothing wrong with screw caps, if you aren't aging the wine. I think we had a screw cap wine last night.
Yup...way more convenient.

eddy

Postby eddy » Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:09 pm

I'm not a wine drinker at all, and I admit that most of the time I do buy wine I'm totally getting something from Château Screwcap.
Absolutely nothing wrong with screw caps, if you aren't aging the wine. I think we had a screw cap wine last night.
I enjoy hitting up the chairman select section in the wine store, they usually have some pretty good deals. Wife and I have found a bottle that's been on sale for $8.99 and it's delicious and our summer goto after stocking up. Simonsig Stellenbosch chenin blanc. Nice light summer white

LITT
Location: Those who don't listen will eventually be surrounded by people with nothing to say

Postby LITT » Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:49 am

i am looking forward to rias baixas albarino season

LeopardLetang

Postby LeopardLetang » Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:27 am

I've had both. He asked me what my favorite scotches were and those were the two I gave him. I probably could have went with a really pricey bottle and he'd have gotten it for me, but I know I really enjoy those two.

Ardbeg 10 is my normal, go to single malt.
Just bought a box set at the state store of Ardbeg 10 for $50 with two mini bottles. One was uigeadail. Delicious.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:58 am

Yeah. I've bought a bottle of uigeadail and have tried the corryvreckan from that $50 pack before. For me, uigeadail is the perfect middle ground between the two styles. I'd bet it'd take me quite a few years to finish a bottle of corryvreckan just because of how thick and syrupy it is, it'd be a once every month or so and only in the cold weather kind of drink.

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:12 am

Wife bought me glenlivet 21 year for Christmas, looking forward to trying that soon.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:12 am

Albariño is probably my favorite grape. Not necessarily because it is so wonderful in its own right, but because I associate with eating delicious food in amazing locations. A cold bottle of Albariño always makes me happy.

eddy

Postby eddy » Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:26 am

Albariño is probably my favorite grape. Not necessarily because it is so wonderful in its own right, but because I associate with eating delicious food in amazing locations. A cold bottle of Albariño always makes me happy.
never heard of this, just looked it up on the PA wine store and this(Felix Solis Medusa Albarino Rias Biaxas 2016) is available so I will go buy it and drink it

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:47 am

You can get pretty great quality at a good price with a lot of wines from Spain. Albariño is no exception; I've never paid more than around $18 for a bottle, and I've yet to encounter even a mediocre wine.

When we were in Vietnam I was kind of marveling at how the place worked. Like, you buy a bowl of soup, and realize: Farmers had to raise the cow for the beef; grow the vegetables; get everything ready for market; sell it to a restaurant; the restaurant had to prepare everything, which can take 12 hours or more; they pay for rent and utilities and such; and then they cook everything and serve it to dopey American tourists who can't speak the language; and the dopey tourists get a delicious bowl of soup for the equivalent of like $1.50. How does that all work?? How does $1.50 cover all that, plus some profit for the business?

That's kind of how I feel about wines from places like Spain and Argentina. You can get extraordinary wines from those places for what it costs to get a fair-to-middlin' wine from Oregon. How can they produce that kind of quality, and ship it across the sea to the US, and be profitable at $10/bottle?? Part of me doesn't really care, so long as that's the case. But it's still baffling.

eddy

Postby eddy » Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:55 pm

picked up an Alberino and the wine expert there suggested I try a Muscadet from Sur Lie, so will be trying that as well. I've never been a big fan of white wine, but have been having fun with the wife trying some new stuff (that's not sweet).

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:51 pm

God I love bourbon.

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Fri Mar 30, 2018 12:46 am

God I love bourbon.
After your terrible Star Wars posts you managed to redeem yourself. :thumb:

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Fri Mar 30, 2018 7:37 am

I have really become a big fan of Bulleit.

LITT
Location: Those who don't listen will eventually be surrounded by people with nothing to say

Postby LITT » Fri Mar 30, 2018 7:45 am

i was at one of the finer country clubs in pittsburgh this week for an event with an open bar. they had their liquor set up with macallan 12, johnnie black, bulleit rye, hendicks gin. asked what they were keeping hidden. he pulled out a macallan 18 which i enjoyed almost half the bottle of. good night.

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Fri Mar 30, 2018 8:13 am

I was hitting the Woodford Reserve pretty hard last night.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Fri Mar 30, 2018 8:23 am

I very much like their rye. I've tried their bourbon and I think there are so many other options out there that I just like to rotate through, but it's hard to beat their rye for the price and quality.

eddy

Postby eddy » Fri Mar 30, 2018 8:30 am

I too enjoy Bulleit. I've been on a High West American Prairie kick lately.

LeopardLetang

Postby LeopardLetang » Fri Mar 30, 2018 8:47 am

Noticed bulleit just went up in price across the board. About 2 bucks. I've been enjoying some Elijah Craig cask strength which is a pretty good value

MWB

Postby MWB » Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:41 am

I very much like their rye. I've tried their bourbon and I think there are so many other options out there that I just like to rotate through, but it's hard to beat their rye for the price and quality.
My thoughts exactly.

LITT

Postby LITT » Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:49 am

Making s bourbon maple mustard glaze for my ham this weekend

MWB

Postby MWB » Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:56 am

I too enjoy Bulleit. I've been on a High West American Prairie kick lately.
I’ve been drinking Larceny, which I enjoy.

slappybrown

Postby slappybrown » Fri Mar 30, 2018 12:51 pm

i was at one of the finer country clubs in pittsburgh this week for an event with an open bar. they had their liquor set up with macallan 12, johnnie black, bulleit rye, hendicks gin. asked what they were keeping hidden. he pulled out a macallan 18 which i enjoyed almost half the bottle of. good night.
The 18 is way better than the 21 imo. I don't know that I would rate anything better than the 18 amongst what I have tried in my life, tho when you get into those super premium ranges it's tough to go wrong/I haven't tried enough of them bc I don't want to get divorced

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Fri Mar 30, 2018 2:08 pm

As a novice to this stuff, can someone explain why there is such a big price jump from Macallan 15 to 18?

count2infinity

Postby count2infinity » Fri Mar 30, 2018 2:19 pm

It's aged for 3 years longer...
Kidding... not sure what the rationale is. Maybe quantity that they have available?

slappybrown

Postby slappybrown » Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:17 pm

That's fair...I get that there is a very small portion of the world that makes a huge difference for. To me, the quality gap between an $8 and a $30 bottle is way more noticeable than the difference between $30 and $120, for example.

Somewhat related, but I have to recommend Heartwood and Oak again. They deliver to PA, and I have tried so many wines I otherwise would have never gotten to taste. This is the option I would recommend:

https://heartwoodandoak.com/promos/wine-club
All that you have to do is choose red wine, white wine, or a mixed pack. Each contains 15 premium wines for the special introductory price of just $89.99 with FREE shipping.

These wines retail for up to $39.99 per bottle, and include Gold Medal-winners like delicate and layered 2014 Le Parlement Bordeaux Blanc, and enticing 2014 Bear Hug Barrel Select Cabernet Sauvignon.

Included with your first order are 3 bonus bottles of indulgent 2014 Les Chartrons Bordeaux Superieur Rouge, bringing your total to 15 bottles in your first shipment.

In your second shipment, we’ll include a FREE 7-Piece Deluxe Corkscrew Kit ($59.99 value).

After that, we’ll send 12 of our best wines for only $12.49 per bottle, plus $19.95 for delivery, every 12 weeks. There's no commitment—you can cancel anytime.
It really is an unbeatable deal for us. Many of these wines have been outstanding. I had an Ocean Breeze Pinot Noir (Monterey) that was fantastic last week.
FYI

http://64.34.175.108/scripts/phpBB3/vie ... e#p2644016