Wine, Scotch, Rum, Tequila, Vodka, and the like

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Fri Dec 31, 2021 5:54 am

It's really tough, I think, to be a small distillery. A major company like Heaven Hill (Evan Willians, Elijah Craig, Larceny, Henry McKenna, etc.) distills more than a quarter million barrels of whiskey every year and has the better part of a million barrels in inventory at any given moment, spread over literally dozens of massive rickhouses. Heaven Hill may distill more whiskey in a day than a craft distillery like Wigle does all year. That volume makes it much, much easier to produce consistent products at whatever age and expression you decide to produce.

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Fri Dec 31, 2021 6:50 am

Allegheny County tops statewide list for highest liquor sales revenue
https://www.wpxi.com/news/local/alleghe ... 25CT6U66I/
ALLEGHENY COUNTY, Pa. — Once again, Allegheny County has had the highest liquor sales revenue in the state, according to the Pennsylvania Liquor Control Board’s yearly report.

In fiscal year 2020-2021, Allegheny County reported $347,631,879 in total dollar sales, up 20.6% from last year’s $288,159,746. Philadelphia County, which came in second place, saw $245,055,272 in sales. Westmoreland County also landed in the top 10 at spot number nine, with $71,932,026 in sales.

Allegheny County saw the highest amount of its sales in whiskey, with a total of $73,891,609. The second highest was red table wines, which made up $53,049,772 in sales.

Well, that explains why the bourbon sections are all wiped out.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Fri Dec 31, 2021 7:17 am

Tried this last night. I think I liked it...definitely get the sweetness from the port in the beginning.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Fri Dec 31, 2021 12:15 pm

I loves ya, buddy, but that sounds digustipating.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Fri Dec 31, 2021 12:19 pm

I loves ya, buddy, but that sounds digustipating.
Yes, yes it does. It wasn't terrible, just didn't like the sweetness in the beginning.

Pavel Bure

Postby Pavel Bure » Fri Dec 31, 2021 10:06 pm

Got some Volcan de mi Tierra blanco. New Years is gonna be a tequila night. Will report back later.
Okay so it’s good to either sip or shoot. Sipping doesn’t give a lot of burn if you keep it in your mouth but has a slight sweetness. Goes down smooth with a bit of heat and the “ahhhh” releases a nice peppery finish with some sweet I guess you would say undertones.

Casamigos Mezcal - I’m just not a fan of smoky liquors. It’s one of those where I can understand why people like it but it’s not for me. Has a very earthly instant taste with smoke throughout and what my brother described as a fruity aftertaste, like fruit salad the next day with smoke.

Huerderra - as best as I can describe it, it has some zip while in your mouth. You get a slight burn and pepper when going to swallow and has a smooth if not more black peppery “ahhhh.”

Coming up in a bit, Michael Jordan’s tequila.

Whiskey/Bourbon- Jameson Black Barrel, mix it with sweet tea for an excellent surprise

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Fri Dec 31, 2021 10:43 pm

If you don’t like smoky liquors, Mezcal is not the spirit for you.

Tomas

Postby Tomas » Sat Jan 01, 2022 5:44 pm

Can you:

A) explain the main taste differences between tequila and mezcal (I know the "only certain agave" in tequila difference - but is the taste markedly different?), and
B) suggest some decent mezcal types (something in the at most $50 range - i.e. the Don Julio Anejo's of mezcal world))?

Thanks!!

blackjack68

Postby blackjack68 » Sun Jan 02, 2022 9:38 pm

Got a bottle of Knappogue 12 year Single Malt Irish Whiskey.

Not bad for $39.99.

LITT
Location: Those who don't listen will eventually be surrounded by people with nothing to say

Postby LITT » Mon Jan 03, 2022 10:48 am

It's really tough, I think, to be a small distillery. A major company like Heaven Hill (Evan Willians, Elijah Craig, Larceny, Henry McKenna, etc.) distills more than a quarter million barrels of whiskey every year and has the better part of a million barrels in inventory at any given moment, spread over literally dozens of massive rickhouses. Heaven Hill may distill more whiskey in a day than a craft distillery like Wigle does all year. That volume makes it much, much easier to produce consistent products at whatever age and expression you decide to produce.
ive been to many small distilleries that produce a much higher quality product than what wigle does at a much more affordable price point. i think wigle is 'fine' but charging 70-90 dollars for a bottle of average bourbon/whisk(e)y is terribad

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Tue Jan 04, 2022 8:16 am

Do you guys have any spirits that give you weird dreams?

I ask because all my normal bourbons (mostly four roses and woodford) were out of stock and I grabbed a bottle of Michter's small batch bourbon. I've never had it before. I enjoyed it, but I've been having weird dreams on nights when I drink it. Typically I don't dream, or if I do, I wake up and don't remember them. After a one cocktail night with this stuff, I have dreams that are vivid and very memorable when I wake up. It's strange...

Now, it could be because I'm out of my typical routine with the holidays, it could be the stress of going back to work and my kid going back to daycare, and my wife going back to teaching with the omicron variant running wild, there are a lot of variables in my life at the moment, but the number one thing that has been consistent on the nights with weird dreams is drinking that bourbon. Nights that I don't drink it and drink something else like beer, scotch, rye, tequila, I haven't had them.

eddy

Postby eddy » Tue Jan 04, 2022 1:42 pm

I ask because all my normal bourbons (mostly four roses and woodford) were out of stock and I grabbed a bottle of Michter's small batch bourbon. I've never had it before. I enjoyed it, but I've been having weird dreams on nights when I drink it. Typically I don't dream, or if I do, I wake up and don't remember them. After a one cocktail night with this stuff, I have dreams that are vivid and very memorable when I wake up. It's strange...

Now, it could be because I'm out of my typical routine with the holidays, it could be the stress of going back to work and my kid going back to daycare, and my wife going back to teaching with the omicron variant running wild, there are a lot of variables in my life at the moment, but the number one thing that has been consistent on the nights with weird dreams is drinking that bourbon. Nights that I don't drink it and drink something else like beer, scotch, rye, tequila, I haven't had them.
I drank a good bit of michters us1 over break and didn't notice anything different, but I will pay more attention next time. Good bourbon.

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Wed Jan 05, 2022 2:06 am

Never had that happen to be from a bourbon. I don't think there's anything especially unusual about Michter's. They're not using a different type of barrel wood than everyone else on the planet, or anything like that that I know of. Weird.

LITT
Location: Those who don't listen will eventually be surrounded by people with nothing to say

Postby LITT » Wed Jan 05, 2022 8:48 am

did you get covid? ive noticed ive had wild dreams ever since i had covid

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Wed Jan 05, 2022 8:53 am

Never had that happen to be from a bourbon. I don't think there's anything especially unusual about Michter's. They're not using a different type of barrel wood than everyone else on the planet, or anything like that that I know of. Weird.
I've read that their grains are "cage milled", they put their whiskey into barrels at a lower proof, and their chill filtration is a little different than others, but I'm not sure how those might impact the final product to cause weird dreams...
did you get covid? ive noticed ive had wild dreams ever since i had covid
Not that I'm aware of... :scared:

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Wed Jan 05, 2022 12:23 pm

Can you:

A) explain the main taste differences between tequila and mezcal (I know the "only certain agave" in tequila difference - but is the taste markedly different?), and
B) suggest some decent mezcal types (something in the at most $50 range - i.e. the Don Julio Anejo's of mezcal world))?

Thanks!!
So mezcal is a whole different beast than tequila. As you said, tequila is required to be made from Weber blue agave (and has to be made in Jalisco) whereas mezcal can be made from about 50 different agave plants in 9 different states. This has led to a rise in mezcal touting the type of agave being used. 400 Conejos for example has multiple joven mezcals that are made using different agave plants. Same process and aging but one is made with espadín and the other is made with an espadín/róbala blend and now there’s more product on the shelves that we need to taste to see which one we like more, before anything is thrown into an aging barrel. Lots more variety with mezcal.

At this point mezcal tends to be made more traditionally than tequila, mezcal has to be 100% agave, and is generally free of additives (but doesn’t have to be). This should result in a more “pure” agave flavored spirit that has profile variations based on agave variety and production methods, but in my experience the reputation of mezcal as the “smoky” tequila has caused producers to lean into the smokiness and way too many mezcals have the flavor profile of peat monster scotch.

The one mezcal I feel comfortable recommending is Del Maguey Vida. Del Maguey has a ton of mezcal varieties, all from small villages that use different agave, processes, water, climate exposure, etc to produce different flavor profiles. These can get very expensive, but Vida is the most widely available and can typically be found for less than $40. It’s fine neat, isn’t overwhelmingly smoky and is more fruity, and isn’t so expensive that you’re “ruining” it by using it in a cocktail.

If you want something that’s more of a sipper, I’d recommended working upwards in the Del Maguey line.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Jan 05, 2022 2:31 pm

If I go a day without my meds (for limb tremors) I have pretty ridiculous dreams and hallucinations. Last time it happened, I visualized my cat turning into Yoda, which was fun.

But spirits just make me sleepy.

count2infinity

Postby count2infinity » Wed Jan 05, 2022 2:44 pm

A big part of me thinks it might have just been stress about going back to work as they were mostly work related, but some of them went back to my grad school days and involved my Ph.D. advisor (who I didn't get along with at all). He's been dead for about 3 years now too. Haven't given much of any thought about him since his death and he randomly just popped into my dreams.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Jan 05, 2022 4:03 pm

Mrs Tif still has recurring anxiety dreams about waiting tables. She's close 30 removed from being a waitress.

eddy

Postby eddy » Wed Jan 05, 2022 7:43 pm

Mrs Tif still has recurring anxiety dreams about waiting tables. She's close 30 removed from being a waitress.
I still have dreams from 7th grade putting in my locker combo 37-1-23, getting my books and then not finding my classroom. No idea how I can remember that, but not where the dishes go when I dry them on a daily basis.

Tomas

Postby Tomas » Wed Jan 05, 2022 8:17 pm

Can you:

Thanks!!
So mezcal is a whole different beast than tequila. As you said, tequila is required to be made from Weber blue agave (and has to be made in Jalisco) whereas mezcal can be made from about 50 different agave plants in 9 different states. This has led to a rise in mezcal touting the type of agave being used. 400 Conejos for example has multiple joven mezcals that are made using different agave plants. Same process and aging but one is made with espadín and the other is made with an espadín/róbala blend and now there’s more product on the shelves that we need to taste to see which one we like more, before anything is thrown into an aging barrel. Lots more variety with mezcal.

At this point mezcal tends to be made more traditionally than tequila, mezcal has to be 100% agave, and is generally free of additives (but doesn’t have to be). This should result in a more “pure” agave flavored spirit that has profile variations based on agave variety and production methods, but in my experience the reputation of mezcal as the “smoky” tequila has caused producers to lean into the smokiness and way too many mezcals have the flavor profile of peat monster scotch.

The one mezcal I feel comfortable recommending is Del Maguey Vida. Del Maguey has a ton of mezcal varieties, all from small villages that use different agave, processes, water, climate exposure, etc to produce different flavor profiles. These can get very expensive, but Vida is the most widely available and can typically be found for less than $40. It’s fine neat, isn’t overwhelmingly smoky and is more fruity, and isn’t so expensive that you’re “ruining” it by using it in a cocktail.

If you want something that’s more of a sipper, I’d recommended working upwards in the Del Maguey line.
This is great! Thank you! It's always awesome to listen to people who are experts in something.

Pavel Bure

Postby Pavel Bure » Wed Jan 05, 2022 11:23 pm

I still have dreams from 7th grade putting in my locker combo 37-1-23, getting my books and then not finding my classroom. No idea how I can remember that, but not where the dishes go when I dry them on a daily basis.
Cool story bro moment here,

I only knew my locker combo in HS on the first day of the year because I would slightly bend the bottom of the locker so it wouldn’t latch. One yank and the top lack would open after that.

Thanks for indulging this CSB moment

LITT

Postby LITT » Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:37 am

I only knew my locker combo in HS on the first day of the year because I would slightly bend the bottom of the locker so it wouldn’t latch. One yank and the top lack would open after that.

as a former high school custodial/maintenance worker, i put a hex on your teenage self. these were the hardest to fix and also if the interior floor got bent up

eddy

Postby eddy » Thu Jan 06, 2022 10:02 am

as a former high school custodial/maintenance worker, i put a hex on your teenage self. these were the hardest to fix and also if the interior floor got bent up
Apologies to you. I found out in 8thbor 9th grade you could just hit the latch from below pretty hard and any locker would open. We knew where empty lockers were all over the school and used them as a shared place amongst me pals for easy access to our classroom and books.

Tomas

Postby Tomas » Thu Jan 06, 2022 11:08 am

My repeated recurring dream nightmare is ex-post finding out that I missed some important pre-requisite exam for my PhD degree, being forced to retake the exam, and failing... It has been 22 years since I defended my dissertation, and that dream comes back with constant frequency.

My coolest single dream was being an NHLer (I have never skated in a real life). Interestingly, not a star but a very borderline player. I vividly remember having a point total at the end of the season in single-digits. But I scored a goal in the last game - and was told that I this earned me a contract for the next season - making me incredibly happy.... Not sure what dreaming about being borderline good tells about me, but... :)