Track & field thread

dodint

Track & field thread

Postby dodint » Sat Jul 16, 2022 11:57 pm

I watched the women's 10k. Exciting race.

Tomas

Track & field thread

Postby Tomas » Mon Sep 19, 2022 11:34 am

This guy basically managed to run 7.5+ marathons in ONE DAY!!
@4:30 / K (not considering bathroom breaks :) )

Gaucho

Track & field thread

Postby Gaucho » Mon Sep 19, 2022 11:40 am

that is insane

dodint

Track & field thread

Postby dodint » Mon Sep 19, 2022 9:28 pm

I don't even have the endurance to watch the video.

shafnutz05

Track & field thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Sat Mar 02, 2024 12:55 pm

https://www.espn.com/olympics/story/_/i ... les-change
Miltiadis Tentoglou threatened to quit the long jump shortly after winning the world indoor title Saturday, saying he would change events if the sport implements a rule change intended to eliminate foul jumps.

The amendment World Athletics is proposing involves introducing a take-off zone where jumps would be measured from an athlete's take-off to landing position, getting rid of foul jumps to make the event more appealing to fans.

"I consider long jump to be one of the hardest events because of the board and the accuracy you need," Tentoglou told reporters. "You need to run like a sprinter, to hit the board perfectly -- this is the difficult part of the long jump. The jump itself is easy. The hard part is the run-up.
Agreed, that would be lame

dodint

Track & field thread

Postby dodint » Sat Mar 02, 2024 1:28 pm

How many foul jumps do you get before you're DQ'd?
One-third of all jumps at the 2023 world outdoor championships were no-jumps, prompting World Athletics to look at ways of changing the rules.
Give them a set number of jumps and if they foul on them, so be it. That should add some tension and make it interesting.

shafnutz05

Track & field thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Sat Mar 02, 2024 1:32 pm

One-third of all jumps at the 2023 world outdoor championships were no-jumps, prompting World Athletics to look at ways of changing the rules.
Give them a set number of jumps and if they foul on them, so be it. That should add some tension and make it interesting.
:thumb:

Nuge

Track & field thread

Postby Nuge » Sat Mar 02, 2024 10:13 pm

I agree. You get three jumps. If they’re all fouls, better luck next year.

genoscoif

Track & field thread

Postby genoscoif » Sun Mar 03, 2024 7:21 am

I agree. You get three jumps. If they’re all fouls, better luck next year.
I'd have no way of knowing this, but I'd imagine that the one-third of jumps resulted in fouls might actually be kinda part of each jumpers strategy. You have 2 rounds of jumps, qualifying and finals, each with 3 jumps for each athlete. Aren't you using at least 1 of your 3 to 'ignore the board' or try to hit it absolutely perfectly? Or let's say you're not in the top X number of jumpers after 2 jumps in the qualifying round, you aren't going balls out (or t*ts out) on your last jump to try to qualify for the finals. Same with the finals after 2 rounds.

Long jump has, what, four components. The track, takeoff board, foul line, and sand pit...and they basically want to remove 2 of those things. It's just sooo short-sighted and stupid.

And I agree with what Carl Lewis said. "I guess it supports what I've been saying, that the long is the most difficult event in track and field. That would just eliminate the most difficult skill from the event."
"Just make the basket larger for free throws because so many people miss them."

That bolded part is what irks me the most. You don't make the discipline easier to make it more 'audience friendly' ffs.