NFL

nocera

NFL

Postby nocera » Tue Sep 27, 2022 1:40 pm

See the scoreboard ads, arena name, game moment sponsorships i.e. Powerball Power Play or Heinz Red Zone... that sort of thing happens across all professional sports. We're calling out the NHL for being extra.

robbiestoupe

NFL

Postby robbiestoupe » Tue Sep 27, 2022 1:52 pm

The whole "neutralize" conditions thing is WacArnolds to me...I like that baseball has different parks. I wish there were more intricacies to NHL rinks these days like the old Boston Garden and War Memorial Auditorium...

Watching those AFC West matchups late on a Sunday where the Raiders are playing on a baseball field...I wish they would have left the mound and the bases...**** it...
no

While we're at it, why don't they put in 12' high rims for basketball for home field flavor. Maybe an alligator pit on the pitch at Anfield

tifosi77

NFL

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Sep 27, 2022 1:53 pm

I see nothing wrong with those proposals, what am I missing

mikey

NFL

Postby mikey » Tue Sep 27, 2022 2:04 pm

See the scoreboard ads, arena name, game moment sponsorships i.e. Powerball Power Play or Heinz Red Zone... that sort of thing happens across all professional sports. We're calling out the NHL for being extra.
Oh, that's not how I read it then...NBA has ads on the court (I don't know if their virtual or not in every case), baseball has a god damn green screen behind home plate basically, NBA has jerseys on ads...

I imagine if the NFL is allowing messages on helmets, they'll soon allow ads. There isn't really a big leap from "Be Nice to Others" to "Pepsi Presents: Be Nice to Others" to "Pepsi is nice with others. Enjoy a Pepsi today"

mikey

NFL

Postby mikey » Tue Sep 27, 2022 2:08 pm

The whole "neutralize" conditions thing is WacArnolds to me...I like that baseball has different parks. I wish there were more intricacies to NHL rinks these days like the old Boston Garden and War Memorial Auditorium...

Watching those AFC West matchups late on a Sunday where the Raiders are playing on a baseball field...I wish they would have left the mound and the bases...**** it...
no

While we're at it, why don't they put in 12' high rims for basketball for home field flavor. Maybe an alligator pit on the pitch at Anfield
I do support the alligator thing. But you can have little quirks without materially changing the game. No baseball field has a fence 120 feet from home plate or anything.

Like, what if one rink had their penalty boxes next to the bench...? What if both boxes were next to one bench and the other bench was on the other side? What if the area behind the net in Chicago was 13 feet instead of 11? What if the neutral zone in Winnipeg was only 40 feet?

I don't know, I just think those kind of quirks here and there are more interesting than the homogenized, sterile games acting under the dubious guise of "fair" that we have now...

I'm also reminded of Jacques Plante's claim that nets in three cities were two inches larger than nets in the three others...which I'm not in favor of...

Last edited by mikey on Tue Sep 27, 2022 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

willeyeam

NFL

Postby willeyeam » Tue Sep 27, 2022 2:10 pm

mikey with a rare good post

nocera

NFL

Postby nocera » Tue Sep 27, 2022 2:16 pm

Isn't there a NHL arena where the benches are on the hard camera side? That's about as quirky as it gets. Actually, the Coyotes are about to play in a 5,000 seat arena. That's pretty quirky.

*nevermind that was the old Rexall Place. Now all arenas have the benches opposite the hard cam.

Nuge

NFL

Postby Nuge » Tue Sep 27, 2022 2:44 pm

I'd bet that the athletes would all prefer playing on turf. That's what most high schools have now. They're used to playing on it.

dodint

NFL

Postby dodint » Tue Sep 27, 2022 3:00 pm

I'd say plant/grow, but it's fake.

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

NFL

Postby meow » Tue Sep 27, 2022 3:05 pm

All the nets I ever played with were too damn big. That explains a lot

tifosi77

NFL

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Sep 27, 2022 3:06 pm

Outside of kickers, I doubt players prefer turf.

Morkle

NFL

Postby Morkle » Tue Sep 27, 2022 3:14 pm

Turf = cement. It's gotten better, but it's still 100% awful lol.

mikey

NFL

Postby mikey » Tue Sep 27, 2022 3:17 pm

So it was...>100% awful before...?

For some reason that reminds me of this clip...

King Colby

NFL

Postby King Colby » Tue Sep 27, 2022 3:36 pm

Easily 150-200% awful before

robbiestoupe

NFL

Postby robbiestoupe » Tue Sep 27, 2022 3:39 pm

no

I do support the alligator thing. But you can have little quirks without materially changing the game. No baseball field has a fence 120 feet from home plate or anything.

Like, what if one rink had their penalty boxes next to the bench...? What if both boxes were next to one bench and the other bench was on the other side? What if the area behind the net in Chicago was 13 feet instead of 11? What if the neutral zone in Winnipeg was only 40 feet?

I don't know, I just think those kind of quirks here and there are more interesting than the homogenized, sterile games acting under the dubious guise of "fair" that we have now...

I'm also reminded of Jacques Plante's claim that nets in three cities were two inches larger than nets in the three others...which I'm not in favor of...
Your last point is my entire point. Once you start letting cities alter their venues, you start creating an uneven playing field and a larger homefield advantage. Even your first point is kind of my point. I'm sure every new stadium needs approved by the league, but what if the Yankees or Dodgers give Manfred a gagillion dollars to let them install a sniper post on the left field foul pole to pick off guys trying to steal second? You get my point, it just creates an uneven playing field. Look at the stupidity they had at the Astros field with the flag pole in fair play.

Let the players decide who's best, not the venue.

willeyeam

NFL

Postby willeyeam » Tue Sep 27, 2022 3:40 pm

TIL homefield advantage is bad

dodint

NFL

Postby dodint » Tue Sep 27, 2022 3:41 pm

Go full USFL and just play all the games in the same stadium.

mikey

NFL

Postby mikey » Tue Sep 27, 2022 3:45 pm

This is a prime example of a situation where extremes can't be used to prove a point.

The jump from a 320 foot right field fence versus a 337 foot fence isn't in the same language as this sharpshooting alligator or whatever...

Subtle things make it more interesting. But now I have to assume you don't support baseball at all then, or non-domed NFL teams, teams with louder than average fans, carnival music playing during NBA games, etc.

dodint

NFL

Postby dodint » Tue Sep 27, 2022 3:48 pm

Well now I want to give an alligator bear arms.

robbiestoupe

NFL

Postby robbiestoupe » Tue Sep 27, 2022 3:51 pm

I didn't say HFA was bad, just that it doesn't need to be titled any more than it already is.

robbiestoupe

NFL

Postby robbiestoupe » Tue Sep 27, 2022 4:03 pm

This is a prime example of a situation where extremes can't be used to prove a point.

The jump from a 320 foot right field fence versus a 337 foot fence isn't in the same language as this sharpshooting alligator or whatever...

Subtle things make it more interesting. But now I have to assume you don't support baseball at all then, or non-domed NFL teams, teams with louder than average fans, carnival music playing during NBA games, etc.
Well I'm not really proving any point, just expressing an opinion.

I use extremes because it shows that there are advantages. I'm ok with the existing advantages of domes, louder fans, more chances for an Ice Bowl, etc. Most of those things can't be altered anyway, so what can you do. Just don't turn it into a battle of who has the best interior designer.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

NFL

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Tue Sep 27, 2022 4:07 pm

this is all beside the original point. Turf isn’t a “home field advantage” design decision as much as it is a threat to every player who plays in it’s safety

mikey

NFL

Postby mikey » Tue Sep 27, 2022 4:11 pm

Yeah, I don't think you allow it to get there...but I think this is just overly-traditionalist* (contemporary-ist?)...you're fine with all the stuff that's different now, but if categorically similar things are different later, it's bad? I don't know, I don't think that's fun...

I mean, we have teams that are travelling tens of thousands of miles and hundreds of hours more than the Penguins...we've had odd-numbered team leagues with unbalanced schedules of all kinds...

So what, Seattle plays on an Olympic rink and they build a super fast team because of it...they combat your jet lag with their wide open speed...and they get saddled with a ton more air hours at the end of the day...why not let them chip away a little if it doesn't materially damage the game...?

I don't know, the "advantages" that would be gotten here - in a situation where both teams can benefit - seem far, far lesser than the existing/"unseen" advantages that are out there...

robbiestoupe

NFL

Postby robbiestoupe » Tue Sep 27, 2022 4:27 pm

I wouldn't even call myself a traditionalist. Baseball is probably where I formed my opinion, but it does go back to the days of the Forum and Garden. The latter examples are my concern. You let Seattle have their advantage, you also have to allow Tampa to have one too. Now you're allowing for dynasties where perhaps they shouldn't exist.

In baseball it got out of hand with the weird flag pole in Houston and odd dimensions all over the league. Thing is, I'm all for the DH in the NL hence I'm not really a traditionalist.

willeyeam

NFL

Postby willeyeam » Tue Sep 27, 2022 4:32 pm

Both teams play on the same surface still in this example right?