NFL

Morkle

NFL

Postby Morkle » Tue Oct 12, 2021 8:38 am

I hope this Gruden / NFL information backfires on the NFL. They have 650,000 emails. Media is asking the question of Gruden being fired, because within those emails he was speaking negatively about Goodell.

I doubt Gruden was the only one speaking like this, and the NFL writing their own narrative while keeping the investigation of the WFT under complete wrap is awful. Considering there is testimony of Bruce Allen and Co. sexually harassing potentially assaulting the cheerleading team.

LITT
Location: Those who don't listen will eventually be surrounded by people with nothing to say

NFL

Postby LITT » Tue Oct 12, 2021 8:42 am

he resigned, wasnt fired. and i dont think its going to backfire because gruden is clearly an dadhole bigot and could never effectively lead that team again

Viva la Ben

NFL

Postby Viva la Ben » Tue Oct 12, 2021 8:48 am

“Locker room talk”

Morkle

NFL

Postby Morkle » Tue Oct 12, 2021 8:58 am

he resigned, wasnt fired. and i dont think its going to backfire because gruden is clearly an dadhole bigot and could never effectively lead that team again
I firmly believe those emails we're leaked by the NFL to hide what's been going on with the WFT stuff. I think the NFL wanted Gruden out because he spoke negatively about Goodell.

Resigning/Fired, whatever, the NFL is suspect here. Gruden is a **** bag either way, but this stuff just doesn't get out and hasn't gotten out with really any other investigation before it.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

NFL

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Tue Oct 12, 2021 9:00 am

Gruden deserved to not have a job anymore but this whole thing originated from an investigation of the WFT. It feels like a cover up

Morkle

NFL

Postby Morkle » Tue Oct 12, 2021 9:02 am

Yea, I'm not losing sight of the fact that Gruden absolutely 1000% should be shot to the moon. I'm happy I won't have to hear him on a broadcast or him spout his opinions either, but stuff from "investigations" rarely gets out from the NFL. They're pretty much fort knox when it comes to stuff like this. So ultimately, this is suspect.

genoscoif

NFL

Postby genoscoif » Tue Oct 12, 2021 9:31 am

Yea, I'm not losing sight of the fact that Gruden absolutely 1000% should be shot to the moon. I'm happy I won't have to hear him on a broadcast or him spout his opinions either, but stuff from "investigations" rarely gets out from the NFL. They're pretty much fort knox when it comes to stuff like this. So ultimately, this is suspect.
Well said. The NFL, from Goodell to the owners to the coaching staffs to the players, aren't exactly exemplars of high moral character...so when they eat one of their own it's a bit sus.

CBear3

NFL

Postby CBear3 » Tue Oct 12, 2021 9:35 am

How many people remembered the WFT investigation? Answer, very few.
So by releasing Gruden's emails that they only have because of the investigation, aren't they actually bringing it back into the light of day and exposing their inaction? Seems like a pretty bad cover-up to remind people of an investigation you're not doing a thing about.

The first email came out because the NFLPA head was up for renewal and somebody was trying to make him look like a sympathetic character to get him re-signed.

The next emails came out because everybody said, it's ok Chucky, we believe you that it was just a one time thing. You're actually a good guy so lets just push this under the rug.

It reminds me of the Kareem Hunt release. OK, this thing happened that makes us look bad Mr. Employee. Is there anything else to this that we should know about?
No sir, boss, it was a one time thing.
*More **** drops*
You're not fired because of the thing, you're fired for not telling me about the thing.

CBear3

NFL

Postby CBear3 » Tue Oct 12, 2021 9:37 am

Well said. The NFL, from Goodell to the owners to the coaching staffs to the players, aren't exactly exemplars of high moral character...so when they eat one of their own it's a bit sus.
Like this:
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/292 ... estigation
and this:
https://frontofficesports.com/emails-pi ... eam-probe/

I think the offending party being in DC where everybody wants to be an investigative journalist doesn't help keep a lid on things.

dodint

NFL

Postby dodint » Tue Oct 12, 2021 9:44 am

The WFT investigation comes up on the Kornheiser podcast about every two weeks, so I'm mildly aware of it. I don't expect anything of consequence to come of it since it doesn't involve players/coaches for the most part.

shmenguin

NFL

Postby shmenguin » Tue Oct 12, 2021 10:35 am

The NFL isn’t required to be intellectually consistent or even “fair” here. A private organization’s approach to damage control over a series of conduct violations…it’s up to them how they want to do it. It’s on us if we want to keep watching.

mikey

NFL

Postby mikey » Tue Oct 12, 2021 11:29 am

Are there specifics of what Gruden actually said...? On the MNF broadcast, it seemed very broad...non-specific...

dodint

NFL

Postby dodint » Tue Oct 12, 2021 11:33 am

Yes.

Dickie Dunn

NFL

Postby Dickie Dunn » Tue Oct 12, 2021 11:46 am

Are there specifics of what Gruden actually said...? On the MNF broadcast, it seemed very broad...non-specific...
Gruden used racist, sexist, homophobic and transophobic language in the emails, which the Times reports dated from 2010 through 2018, before Gruden was hired by the Raiders for his second stint with the team. Per the Times, he often called NFL commissioner Roger Goodell a “f—t” and a “clueless anti football p—y.” He also used homophobic slurs to describe NFL owners, coaches and reporters who cover the league.

Gruden also reportedly exchanged emails with Allen and others that included photos of women wearing only bikini bottoms. One photo reportedly included two Washington Football Team cheerleaders. Per the Times, Gruden and Allen also sometimes included Ed Droste, the co-founder of Hooters; Jim McVay, an executive who has run the Outback Bowl; and Nick Reader, the founder of PDQ Restaurants, in the emails.

Per the Times, Droste in 2017 shared a sexist meme of a woman refereeing in the NFL, with Gruden replying, "Nice job roger."

Gruden also criticized larger issues that surfaced in or otherwise had platforms of discussion in the league. For example, he reportedly criticized former President Barack Obama during his 2012 reelection campaign and called then-vice president Joe Biden a “nervous clueless p—y.” Gruden reportedly also denounced the league for attempting to reduce concussions, adding that Eric Reid — who demonstrated during the playing of the national anthem as a form of protest against police brutality — should be fired.

In 2015, Gruden condemned a congressional bill that attempted to force Washington to change its name from the Redskins, which many Native Americans view as a slur. Gruden received a link, also that year, detailing how players wanted Goodell to support them in efforts to promote racial equality and criminal justice reform.
“He needs to hide in his concussion protocol tent,” Gruden said.

Gruden also singled out individuals as targets of his hateful language. That includes Caitlyn Jenner, whom Gruden mocked when she won an award in 2015 after transitioning. He also asked Allen to tell Bryan Glazer, whose family owns the Buccaneers, to perform oral sex on him. Allen reportedly responded that Glazer would “take you up on that offer.” Gruden coached Tampa Bay from 2002 through 2008.

Gruden also targeted Michael Sam, who came out as gay before attempting an NFL career, and Smith.

Per the Times, Gruden criticized Goodell for pressuring former St. Louis Rams coach Jeff Fisher to draft "q—rs." That was a reference to Sam, who came out as gay ahead of the 2014 NFL Draft and was selected with the Rams' second-to-last pick in the seventh round. He spent the 2014 season on St. Louis and Dallas' practice squads, later spending time in the CFL with the Montreal Alouettes.

Prior to his resignation, Gruden coached the NFL's first openly gay active player, Carl Nassib, who came out ahead of the 2021 season.

The email that initially got Gruden in hot water was a 2011 email to Allen in which he used a racist trope to describe Smith:
"Dumboriss Smith has lips the size of michellin (sic) tires."

Viva la Ben

NFL

Postby Viva la Ben » Tue Oct 12, 2021 12:03 pm

Wew he is ready for the next Trump rally

Morkle

NFL

Postby Morkle » Tue Oct 12, 2021 12:06 pm

Gruden is a mega dumb-ass, I'll be interested to see if he goes the "THEY CANCELED ME" route.

mikey

NFL

Postby mikey » Tue Oct 12, 2021 12:30 pm

Hmm, yeah, I mean none of that is great obviously...or else it wouldn't have made the paper...I wonder what the people that he worked with think and have thought about him...

I know we're not gonna be allowed to have an actual discussion about this, but there can be (maybe there isn't, but there can be) differences in how you conduct yourself in an email or in a group text or whatever, where you're trying to be funny (even if crudely) or you're trying to play a certain role but that's not how you treat people in real life, in person...

The lip comment is particularly poor...the rest of that is just leftover alpha-male energy for me...I'm not saying it's good, great, or right...but calling someone a p*ssy via email made this top-5 list or whatever the article represents, then you don't have very much here...

Morkle

NFL

Postby Morkle » Tue Oct 12, 2021 12:36 pm

I think the two standouts are the racist comment, and the making Jeff Fischer draft "qu**rs" comment, considering who he has on his team.

All that other stuff, meh.

robbiestoupe

NFL

Postby robbiestoupe » Tue Oct 12, 2021 12:38 pm

also the "he asked the tampa owner to perform oral sex on him" is a very clever way of saying that he told him to suck his d***
Last edited by robbiestoupe on Tue Oct 12, 2021 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

robbiestoupe

NFL

Postby robbiestoupe » Tue Oct 12, 2021 12:38 pm

mikey

NFL

Postby mikey » Tue Oct 12, 2021 12:41 pm

Yeah, that's how I read that robbie...that's just not enough to end someone's career for me. Now, if players and other team officials come out - even in retrospect - and go, "yeah, this guy was like [this] and [that]" then, ok, glad he went down...but so far, I've only seen a couple of comments from black people that worked closely with Gruden and they both spoke highly of his character and how they were treated around him...

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

NFL

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Tue Oct 12, 2021 12:42 pm

Hmm, yeah, I mean none of that is great obviously...or else it wouldn't have made the paper...I wonder what the people that he worked with think and have thought about him...

I know we're not gonna be allowed to have an actual discussion about this, but there can be (maybe there isn't, but there can be) differences in how you conduct yourself in an email or in a group text or whatever, where you're trying to be funny (even if crudely) or you're trying to play a certain role but that's not how you treat people in real life, in person...

The lip comment is particularly poor...the rest of that is just leftover alpha-male energy for me...I'm not saying it's good, great, or right...but calling someone a p*ssy via email made this top-5 list or whatever the article represents, then you don't have very much here...
he referred to gay people as “queers” in a nonjoking fashion. That’s enough for me

mikey

NFL

Postby mikey » Tue Oct 12, 2021 12:46 pm

Yeah? I mean, I've never found the 'q' word to be particularly useful myself...but I'm sure I've sent an email or a text when I was younger that called something that I didn't like "gay" before...you didn't do that ever?

I grew up and stopped saying that...but this fun game where all of the people that aren't getting investigated or fired get to nitpick their way through 10 year old text messages and go, "yeah, see, right there...he said "pusscake" that offensive to both homosexuals and pastries...lock him up!" I don't know, I don't think that's the goal of societal exclusion policy...

dodint

NFL

Postby dodint » Tue Oct 12, 2021 12:48 pm

Smear the Mikey.

CBear3

NFL

Postby CBear3 » Tue Oct 12, 2021 12:53 pm

Derogatory terms for homosexuals when he coaches the first openly gay player and sexist comments on women referees and assistant coaches and how they shouldn't be in the game.

The locker room insults about Goodell and Glaser are juicy, but that's not a league problem. Open contempt about getting more than 'bro's' in football is the problem.