NFL

Morkle

NFL

Postby Morkle » Tue Mar 30, 2021 3:33 pm

Pretty much guarantees that they'll never have another undefeated season. Given how they manage games now.

PFiDC

NFL

Postby PFiDC » Tue Mar 30, 2021 3:33 pm

also keep in mind I'm generally against expanding of seasons/playoffs (again unless more teams are added to the league). Hate how baseball is throwing the idea of 8 playoff teams per league. NHL and NBA already **** up by allowing more than half of the teams into the playoffs
What?

The NHL playoff is the single greatest tournament in sports you shut your whore mouth when you say things like this...

mikey

NFL

Postby mikey » Tue Mar 30, 2021 3:34 pm

The rushing record was done in a 14 game season. There are no QBs in the league that can break the passing records right now...

Problem solved.

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

NFL

Postby meow » Tue Mar 30, 2021 3:38 pm

You heard me. Johnny “WWII Vet” Smith can cram his sports records with acorns.

mikey

NFL

Postby mikey » Tue Mar 30, 2021 3:43 pm

The NFL doesn't recognize that it existed before like 1970 anyhow...so, they also don't care about their history...

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

NFL

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Tue Mar 30, 2021 3:47 pm

also keep in mind I'm generally against expanding of seasons/playoffs (again unless more teams are added to the league). Hate how baseball is throwing the idea of 8 playoff teams per league. NHL and NBA already **** up by allowing more than half of the teams into the playoffs
What?

The NHL playoff is the single greatest tournament in sports you shut your whore mouth when you say things like this...
lol don’t get me wrong, I love the playoffs but in 2012 the Kings made the playoffs with a 40-42 LOSING record (grouping overtime losses with regulation ones) and rode a hot Jonathan Quick to the Stanley Cup

It’s good for drama but bad for competition. Teams with losing regular season records should never make a playoff

NAN

NFL

Postby NAN » Tue Mar 30, 2021 3:54 pm

Sex work should be legal and regulated. A guy like that is rich, famous, good looking. Doesn't want the headache of dealing with every woman that thinks she just hit the economic and genetic jackpot. Sometimes a transactional approach works for both sides. He allegedly tried to get that in a gray market and is now in legal trouble.
I won't argue that.

nocera

NFL

Postby nocera » Tue Mar 30, 2021 3:54 pm

Why don't people want this? The NFL season always seems so short and preseason is a waste of time.
1. There was a beautiful symmetry to the NFL schedule previously
2. the schedule had been 16 games for 40 something years. There was no competition-al reason to change the number of games (ie if they added more franchises, it would make sense to increase the number of games); it's purely out of greed
3. single season records mean much less now
4. increased chances for player injuries
5. dilution of the product. More doesn't mean better. Football becomes less special the more we have it
6. 17 games is a stupid odd number and it's gonna change to 18 within the next decade which means even more dilution

I know people might disagree with me and that's fine; these are the reasons why I don't like it. of course I'm still gonna watch but it's annoying. Most fans, at least on this twitter poll agree, with me too:

I hate the "IF YOU DONT WANT MORE GAMES THEN YOU HATE FOOTBALL" retort. I love cake but if I had it every day I would be sick of it
Most of those are perfectly fine reasons to oppose it. I don't particularly care about any of them except maybe number 4. I guess we'll see how that one plays out.

NAN

NFL

Postby NAN » Tue Mar 30, 2021 3:56 pm

What?

lol don’t get me wrong, I love the playoffs but in 2012 the Kings made the playoffs with a 40-42 LOSING record (grouping overtime losses with regulation ones) and rode a hot Jonathan Quick to the Stanley Cup

It’s good for drama but bad for competition. Teams with losing regular season records should never make a playoff
A 7-9 Seahawks team made the playoffs and I believe beat Dallas. If they continued a hot streak could have won the Super Bowl. No playoff field is perfect.

CBear3

NFL

Postby CBear3 » Tue Mar 30, 2021 3:57 pm

Why don't people want this? The NFL season always seems so short and preseason is a waste of time.
1. There was a beautiful symmetry to the NFL schedule previously
The schedule already tries to equalize the playing field by giving crappy teams the crappier opponents. While its a "cool way" to decide the 17th game, it again tries to handicap the field further.

tifosi77

NFL

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Mar 30, 2021 3:57 pm

That 2012 Kings team only lost 4 games, total, in the playoffs that year.

The year the Pens won their first Cup, they played a sub-.500 North Stars team in the Final. A sub-.500 North Stars team that lost one regular season home game after the All-Star break; that had a playoff power play that was cracking at close to 30% and a PK that was in the 90% range; that eliminated the President's Trophy winning team in the first round; that eliminated the second best regular season team in the second round; that eliminated the defending champs in the conference finals.

tifosi77

NFL

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Mar 30, 2021 3:58 pm

What?

A 7-9 Seahawks team made the playoffs and I believe beat Dallas. If they continued a hot streak could have won the Super Bowl. No playoff field is perfect.
They hosted a 13-win Saints team as a 7-9 'division winner'. That was the BeastQuake game iirc.

Winning the division should get you to the dance, but it shouldn't affect seeding. That should be a function of W-L (or I guess technically W%).

Kaiser

NFL

Postby Kaiser » Tue Mar 30, 2021 4:52 pm

What?

They hosted a 13-win Saints team as a 7-9 'division winner'. That was the BeastQuake game iirc.

Winning the division should get you to the dance, but it shouldn't affect seeding. That should be a function of W-L (or I guess technically W%).
Defending SB champion Saints, then they almost came back to beat the Bears the next week.

tifosi77

NFL

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Mar 30, 2021 5:10 pm

If the Steelers play @SEA any time in the near future, I plan on coming up there for the game and making you buy me beers.

NTP66

NFL

Postby NTP66 » Tue Mar 30, 2021 6:36 pm

Strahan got his gap teeth fixed and now he looks like a chump.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

NFL

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Tue Mar 30, 2021 6:37 pm

hot_fuzz_shame.avi

shafnutz05

NFL

Postby shafnutz05 » Wed Mar 31, 2021 11:45 am

What?

I love the NHL postseason, but the league really screwed the pooch for me when they went from the classic 1 through 8 conference matchups to the stupid divisional rounds. It sucks having to play the same damn teams every year for the first two rounds. What made the old setup so fun was you never knew who you were going to get.

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

NFL

Postby meow » Wed Mar 31, 2021 1:42 pm

Strahan got his gap teeth fixed and now he looks like a chump.
What a moron. Why now?

MR25

NFL

Postby MR25 » Wed Mar 31, 2021 1:45 pm

Tomorrow is April Fools...

NTP66

NFL

Postby NTP66 » Wed Mar 31, 2021 1:47 pm

willeyeam

NFL

Postby willeyeam » Mon Apr 05, 2021 4:01 pm

dodint

NFL

Postby dodint » Mon Apr 05, 2021 4:03 pm

C'mon Steelers, what r u doin?

*Nothing, as usual.

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

NFL

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Mon Apr 05, 2021 4:07 pm

My Carolina Panther buddy here locally thinks it is a waste of draft picks.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

NFL

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Mon Apr 05, 2021 4:08 pm

a second rounder?! wtf

mikey

NFL

Postby mikey » Mon Apr 05, 2021 4:09 pm

I'm surprised he garnered that much...

I was expecting maybe like a 3rd and a conditional 3rd or some such...