NFL

willeyeam

NFL

Postby willeyeam » Mon Oct 19, 2020 2:13 pm

I take that back. I didn't realize he still put up 1,000 last year. I was jaded by his injury screwing me over in fantasy. Though he probably would bust in Cleveland, because Cleveland

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

NFL

Postby meow » Mon Oct 19, 2020 2:28 pm

H2P

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

NFL

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Mon Oct 19, 2020 2:31 pm

Carson Palmer was a three time Pro Bowler, so I would deem that a "successful" career (though maybe not worth a first overall pick) but man, USC QBs **** suck in the NFL. Palmer is by far the best

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U ... arterbacks

tif's comment that Darnold was the #1 consensus QB made me look that up. I'm not sure if that statement is actually true (that Darnold was the #1 consensus QB) but I knew he was horribly overrated. Same thing with QBs out of Ohio State. They **** suck but everyone convinces themselves that they're good because of the college program that they played for

robbiestoupe

NFL

Postby robbiestoupe » Mon Oct 19, 2020 2:43 pm

I texted my dad (Browns fan) after the game yesterday. His response? “Just the same old Browns.”

Somehow their apathy isn’t quite Pirate level apathy, but I see some Super Pitt Panther fandomitis in them. They are tricked into thinking it’s their year, but when they predictably fall apart, they are able to see past their brown colored glasses

mikey

NFL

Postby mikey » Mon Oct 19, 2020 2:43 pm

Palmer is the only 100 game starter (QB) to come from USC ever.

I will say, I thought in the right system (like a NE, a current NO, etc.) I thought Cody Kessler could have worked out because of how accurate he was...he could have carved out a Pennington like existence, but that gives you very few outs as a player and it's not surprising it didn't break his way...

tifosi77

NFL

Postby tifosi77 » Mon Oct 19, 2020 2:53 pm

It's less about Darnold being a consensus top prospect (although I do very much remember that being the case) as it is about Mayfield clearly still would've been available to them for the 4th pick if they had gone with Barkley 1st overall. Browns doing Browns things.

But speaking about QBs from certain programs not panning out in the NFL..... I've read a couple different people that note successful QBs in the League tend to come from lesser school programs. Guys that play at, say, Ohio State, or Clemson, or Alabama spend their collegiate careers playing behind O-lines that will send 6 or 7 players to the NFL over the 2-3 years that QB starts, so they don't spend an awful lot of time playing 'uncomfortable'. But in the NFL, everyone is good, so you're more likely going to find yourself in a noisy pocket on a regular basis. Guys who have 20+starts in college playing behind guys who never play another snap of football after their 22nd birthday tend to be more at ease, especially early in their careers, and so they find more success.

mikey

NFL

Postby mikey » Mon Oct 19, 2020 2:58 pm

If the Browns skip him at 1 and he's their guy (which you can't put a price on...this isn't an auction, it's a draft...what you get is a lot more important than some perceived "value" that you think you can achieve in a transactional sense versus some parroted consensus that has its majority made up of people who have no professional knowledge of the process).

If they go Barkley at 1, they run the risk of being selected by any other team in the league at 2 or 3. They weren't willing to take that risk. I'm not saying it's right, wrong, or indifferent...but just assuming that they would get him at 4 also suggests that we know what every NFL team's draft board looked like...

willeyeam

NFL

Postby willeyeam » Mon Oct 19, 2020 2:58 pm

I disagree. Better QBs play at better programs for the most part. Best non-major program QBs - Ben and Wentz? Compared to say, Mahomes, Lamar, Brady, Brees, Rodgers, Wilson

Troy Loney

NFL

Postby Troy Loney » Mon Oct 19, 2020 2:59 pm

Wasn't that guy who played for NE when Brady got hurt a USC product?

MrKennethTKangaroo

NFL

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Mon Oct 19, 2020 3:00 pm

Matt Kassel. Yes.

Troy Loney

NFL

Postby Troy Loney » Mon Oct 19, 2020 3:02 pm

I disagree. Better QBs play at better programs for the most part. Best non-major program QBs - Ben and Wentz? Compared to say, Mahomes, Lamar, Brady, Brees, Rodgers, Wilson
Also have to grasp where this sample size is coming from, the examples of QB's from small schools have to earn their opportunities in ways that make it more likely that they are good. I am sure if you randomized the sample, the QBs from the large schools fare significantly better.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

NFL

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Mon Oct 19, 2020 3:26 pm

maybe this is splitting hairs but while Mahomes, Lamar, Brees, Rodgers and Wilson went to power 5 schools, I wouldn't group Texas Tech, Louisville, Purdue, Cal and Wisconsin in the USC/Ohio State/Bama/Florida/Notre Dame/LSU/Michigan/Penn State/Texas/Oklahoma category of massive programs (I'm probably missing a couple but those are in my head the hyper popular teams with players that always seem to get overrated)
Last edited by MalkinIsMyHomeboy on Mon Oct 19, 2020 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tifosi77

NFL

Postby tifosi77 » Mon Oct 19, 2020 3:26 pm

If the Browns skip him at 1 and he's their guy (which you can't put a price on...this isn't an auction, it's a draft...what you get is a lot more important than some perceived "value" that you think you can achieve in a transactional sense versus some parroted consensus that has its majority made up of people who have no professional knowledge of the process).

If they go Barkley at 1, they run the risk of being selected by any other team in the league at 2 or 3. They weren't willing to take that risk. I'm not saying it's right, wrong, or indifferent...but just assuming that they would get him at 4 also suggests that we know what every NFL team's draft board looked like...
They didn't need to know every team's board. They needed to have a sense of what NYG and NYJ were doing, and both those teams were pretty clear about what they wanted ahead of the draft. Shoot, the Jets even traded up a month before the draft to get into the 3-spot because they were targeting a QB. And it doesn't take a rocket surgeon to intuit that no one else was as big on Baker as CLE was. The Giants were pretty clear by draft day they wanted Barkley if CLE didn't select him 1st overall, the Jets were clear they wanted Darnold if he was available (and as I recall Allen was their fallback). The risk of any of the other 29 teams making a trade to move into the 2 or 3 position in the 20 minutes that would elapse between the 1st and 3rd is exceedingly minimal imo.

It turned out, no other team even had Baker in their top 3 at the position, let alone overall, although that's much more of a 20/20 hindsight thing.

willeyeam

NFL

Postby willeyeam » Mon Oct 19, 2020 3:28 pm

maybe this is splitting hairs but while Mahomes, Lamar, Brees, Rodgers and Wilson went to power 5 schools, I wouldn't group Texas Tech, Louisville, Purdue, Cal and Wisconsin in the USC/Ohio State/Bama/Florida/Notre Dame/LSU/Michigan/Penn State category of massive programs (I'm probably missing a couple but those are in my head the hyper popular teams with players that always seem to get overrated)
I was just going by P5 schools. If tif was getting at lesser P5 schools then I'd possibly buy that. I would note though that Wisconsin is generally regarded as OL U

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

NFL

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Mon Oct 19, 2020 3:37 pm

maybe this is splitting hairs but while Mahomes, Lamar, Brees, Rodgers and Wilson went to power 5 schools, I wouldn't group Texas Tech, Louisville, Purdue, Cal and Wisconsin in the USC/Ohio State/Bama/Florida/Notre Dame/LSU/Michigan/Penn State category of massive programs (I'm probably missing a couple but those are in my head the hyper popular teams with players that always seem to get overrated)
I was just going by P5 schools. If tif was getting at lesser P5 schools then I'd possibly buy that. I would note though that Wisconsin is generally regarded as OL U
I wouldn't even say it's a "they looked good at this college that has really good o-linemen". my point is that they're overrated because they go to popular schools that are always on national television. It's like how people always overrate the Cowboys because they're the most popular team

if Darnold went to Maryland rather than a school in Los Angeles and had the same exact stats he would not have been as highly touted of a prospect imo

willeyeam

NFL

Postby willeyeam » Mon Oct 19, 2020 3:38 pm

I think we're getting into a new debate here

tifosi77

NFL

Postby tifosi77 » Mon Oct 19, 2020 3:41 pm

Also, I think this is kinda cool.

Tua sitting on the field post-game Facetiming with his parents who couldn't be at the game to see his first (if highly limited) NFL action.

tifosi77

NFL

Postby tifosi77 » Mon Oct 19, 2020 3:42 pm

if Darnold went to Maryland rather than a school in Los Angeles and had the same exact stats he would not have been as highly touted of a prospect imo
I don't think NFL scouts work this way.

mikey

NFL

Postby mikey » Mon Oct 19, 2020 3:42 pm

They didn't need to know every team's board. They needed to have a sense of what NYG and NYJ were doing, and both those teams were pretty clear about what they wanted ahead of the draft. Shoot, the Jets even traded up a month before the draft to get into the 3-spot because they were targeting a QB. And it doesn't take a rocket surgeon to intuit that no one else was as big on Baker as CLE was. The Giants were pretty clear by draft day they wanted Barkley if CLE didn't select him 1st overall, the Jets were clear they wanted Darnold if he was available (and as I recall Allen was their fallback). The risk of any of the other 29 teams making a trade to move into the 2 or 3 position in the 20 minutes that would elapse between the 1st and 3rd is exceedingly minimal imo.

It turned out, no other team even had Baker in their top 3 at the position, let alone overall, although that's much more of a 20/20 hindsight thing.
Yes they did because trading was set to [ON], so everyone is in play. Groundwork can be laid for trades for a while with contingencies and the like.

How do we know that last line?

DigitalGypsy66

NFL

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Mon Oct 19, 2020 3:47 pm

Deion Sanders said on a talk show this morning that Trevor Lawrence might and should pull an Eli or Elway if the Jets pick him next year. :lol:

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

NFL

Postby count2infinity » Mon Oct 19, 2020 3:50 pm

Mayfield goes first to the Browns. Terrible pick imo. He might as well have a sign above his head flashing BUST
I don't get it... he would have easily been available at #4. EASILY.
Shad and I had this discussion when it happened ^

NTP66

NFL

Postby NTP66 » Mon Oct 19, 2020 3:52 pm

Why is it impossible to buy an adult color rush NFL jersey? I've never, ever had an issue like this with the dozens of NHL jerseys I own. I've been checking for 6+ months now, and have never seen them in stock, outside of a few random youth jerseys.
What team? There are a lot of Steelers color rush jerseys available on their team store.
Sorry, should have specified - TJ Watt, specifically, but in the Game or Legend style. Don't need the Limited, which is the stitched version.

willeyeam

NFL

Postby willeyeam » Mon Oct 19, 2020 3:53 pm

Mayfield goes first to the Browns. Terrible pick imo. He might as well have a sign above his head flashing BUST
I don't get it... he would have easily been available at #4. EASILY.
Shad and I had this discussion when it happened ^
I think I had thoughts on this as well. I'm of the opinion that if they were sold that Baker was 100% their guy, go for it and ensure you get him. Sure he probably would be there at 4, but that really opens yourself up to having some egg on their faces. In retrospect, Barkley is obviously better than Baker. But if Baker turned out to be a Mahomes type like they thought then we wouldn't be having this convo. I can't blame them for going after their guy. Though I'm happy their guy stinks

nocera

NFL

Postby nocera » Mon Oct 19, 2020 3:54 pm

Why is it impossible to buy an adult color rush NFL jersey? I've never, ever had an issue like this with the dozens of NHL jerseys I own. I've been checking for 6+ months now, and have never seen them in stock, outside of a few random youth jerseys.
What team? There are a lot of Steelers color rush jerseys available on their team store.
Sorry, should have specified - TJ Watt, specifically, but in the Game or Legend style. Don't need the Limited, which is the stitched version.
Oh okay. Pony up and do the $325 custom. Do it.

pens9192

NFL

Postby pens9192 » Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:12 pm

Probably for a short while you could've added Delaware's finest and elite football dragon Joe Flacco to the best non-major program QBs list.