NFL

nocera

NFL

Postby nocera » Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:41 am

Having teams alternate plays for up to five plays each until someone is mathematically eliminated is going to take for **** ever. 22 players on, run a play, 22 players off, 22 players on, run a play, 22 players off, 22 players on, run a play, etc etc etc.

Or the offense is set up on one end of the field and the defense is set up on the other. So run a play on one end, run a play on the other. Unless teams have players playing both ways (unlikely) there's no need to only use one side of the field and have everybody run off/run on.

shafnutz05

NFL

Postby shafnutz05 » Mon Feb 03, 2020 12:31 pm

For the record, I would have gone with Damien Williams as well. I penalize players for putting their teams in a tough spot, even if they rally late...Mahomes was simply not good through 3 quarters. Damien Williams was good throughout and I believe he had the last two TDs...being the MVP of a single game is already a very dumb thing...but now we're talking about being the MVP of a quarter...

I'm not even convinced Mahomes is one of the three stars of the game...Williams, Breeland, Deebo Samuel would certainly have a good case for me...
Agree with you and others. I hate that the MVP nearly always defaults to the winning QB. I also think the NFL desperately wanting Mahomes to be the next Brady is the main reason why they were inclined to give it to him.

LITT
Location: Those who don't listen will eventually be surrounded by people with nothing to say

NFL

Postby LITT » Mon Feb 03, 2020 12:45 pm

For the record, I would have gone with Damien Williams as well. I penalize players for putting their teams in a tough spot, even if they rally late...Mahomes was simply not good through 3 quarters. Damien Williams was good throughout and I believe he had the last two TDs...being the MVP of a single game is already a very dumb thing...but now we're talking about being the MVP of a quarter...

I'm not even convinced Mahomes is one of the three stars of the game...Williams, Breeland, Deebo Samuel would certainly have a good case for me...
Agree with you and others. I hate that the MVP nearly always defaults to the winning QB. I also think the NFL desperately wanting Mahomes to be the next Brady is the main reason why they were inclined to give it to him.
mahomes' part in nfl lore has nothing to do with him winning.

mikey

NFL

Postby mikey » Mon Feb 03, 2020 1:45 pm

Well, it certainly wasn't his play yesterday...so what would you attribute it to...?

mikey

NFL

Postby mikey » Mon Feb 03, 2020 2:00 pm

(Update to my QB finishes spreadsheet)

##
Dear Friend,

You are receiving this e-mail because you have received the QB Finishes spreadsheet before and/or I believe you would be interested in the content.

The spreadsheet (attached) has been updated with 2019 numbers.

Noted Notables:
- Winston's first place yards finish gives him 15 points is his first top-8 finish. He had just 2 career points coming into this season.

- Dak Prescott is also, quite predictably I'd think, a first time top-8 yards finisher as well.

- Matt Ryan has finished 5th in passing yards in 4 of the past 8 seasons. No one in history has finished 5th in passing yards more than him...which I thought was a pretty perfect Matt Ryan stat.

- Lamar Jackson (1st), Dak Prescott, Jimmy Garoppolo, and Deshaun Watson are all first-timers on the TD list. The 5-way tie for 8th place produced no newcomers (Cousins, Mahomes, Rodgers, Ryan, Watson).

- Jackson's 36 TDs is the second-fewest to lead the league since 2010 (Wilson 34, 2017).

- Drew Brees (get ready for a lot of his name) finished 5th in TD passes, putting him just one point behind Brett Favre for 2nd all-time.

- Jimmy Garoppolo was the only newcomer to the comp% list. Lamar Jackson missed the cut by 0.001%.

- Drew Brees finished 1st for the 3rd straight year. Each of his last three seasons are the most accurate comp% seasons in NFL history. He also owns #5 and #6 all time (Sam Bradford owns the #4 spot).

- There have been 14 70%+ completion pct. years in NFL history. Drew Brees owns 6 of them.

- Only Steve Young has had more consecutive 1st place finishes than Brees in comp% (4, 1994-1997).

- Brees with 6 career first-place finishes is only behind Sammy Baugh (8) for most all-time.

- Aaron Rodgers with another 1st place finish in lowest int% puts him into some new space...he jumps Joe Montana, Bart Starr, Len Dawson, and Fran Tarkenton to become 3rd all time in points. He is 9 behind Tom Brady and 20 behind Sammy Baugh.

- Drew Brees' 4th place finish in int% vaults him over Aikman, Favre, Jones, Marino, among others. Though, he's just now getting into the top-40.

- Tannehill, Jackson, and Garoppolo are added to the QB rating list. Should Tannehill never finish top-8 again (very reasonable), he'll join Nick Foles, Tommy Kramer, Greg Cook, George Blanda (!), Adrian Burk, Frank Filchock, Harry Newman, and Alex Smith as the only players to appear just once on the list as a first-place finisher.

- Drew Brees' second-place finish jumps him over Steve Young and Johnny Unitas for 4th all-time (Manning, Baugh, Dawson).

- Brees eeks ever closer to the elusive 600-point mark (Baugh 640, Manning 617) - at 596. He continues to distance himself from Tarkenton (525), Graham (490), Unitas (485).

- Brees does not have the most career points in any individual category, but still has the 3rd most points accrued all time.

- Rodgers jumps John Hadl and Sid Luckman to get into the top-20. While Matt Ryan hops up to 40th.

- Russell Wilson is a big mover: 87th to 65th.

- Added feature on the Totals tab: Players highlighted in color are Pro Football Hall of Famers.

That's it for this year.

Finding and reporting errors is encouraged.

Code: Select all

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vR6BZudYFHGo6z80zRq-E8qGZOtXTYFlWTwZ4Wl2EBXhp4zG_TaX85FTdMjX9VmaQRGwTPMD9NE3gY-/pubhtml

CBear3

NFL

Postby CBear3 » Mon Feb 03, 2020 2:09 pm

Haters gonna hate. Some people just love to be contrarian.

mikey

NFL

Postby mikey » Mon Feb 03, 2020 2:22 pm

If that was directed at me, I love Mahomes and think he's the best player in the NFL. He was obviously not the best player in that game last night for me. To be fair, there wasn't really a wall to wall stand out necessarily - though Damien Williams has a pretty good case - but if there's even a little bit of doubt, it just goes - lazily - to the winning QB...we've come to expect that as NFL fans at this point.

That said, I'm decidedly against the idea of a single game MVP award. Mahomes is certainly the playoff MVP (is he not?), so I take some solace in that. If I had a ballot, I'd make sure Derrick Henry got on there somewhere though for sure, despite not making it to the "Big(ger) Game"...

NTP66

NFL

Postby NTP66 » Mon Feb 03, 2020 2:32 pm

Are you saying that Williams was the clear cut MVP? He had 58 yards through the first 3 quarters, averaging under 4.5 ypc. I don't think he did enough consistently to really garner that MVP vote.

tifosi77

NFL

Postby tifosi77 » Mon Feb 03, 2020 2:37 pm

They say that winning an NFL game between two good teams usually comes down to being better than the other guys on half a dozen or so plays over 60 minutes. That game yesterday felt like it was just 3 or 4 plays. Look at the stat lines, and you'd think SF sort of walked it; Mahomes played so badly that even on what proved to be their biggest play he threw a poor ball that Hill had to stop moving and wait for.

CBear3

NFL

Postby CBear3 » Mon Feb 03, 2020 2:39 pm

If that was directed at me, I love Mahomes and think he's the best player in the NFL. He was obviously not the best player in that game last night for me. To be fair, there wasn't really a wall to wall stand out necessarily - though Damien Williams has a pretty good case - but if there's even a little bit of doubt, it just goes - lazily - to the winning QB...we've come to expect that as NFL fans at this point.

That said, I'm decidedly against the idea of a single game MVP award. Mahomes is certainly the playoff MVP (is he not?), so I take some solace in that. If I had a ballot, I'd make sure Derrick Henry got on there somewhere though for sure, despite not making it to the "Big(ger) Game"...
A bit more at shad for his conspiracy on the NFL making him the next Brady. A bunch of old fogie sports writers vote on it, it's not like the NFL is rigging it.
And I agree that nobody stood out. Watkins had 4 for 100, Hill had 9 for 100, and I'm probably devaluing Williams run because it was garbage time and 9ers took intentionally bad angles selling out trying to not allow the first down. If the 9ers hold on it's Jimmy G's for the same reason.

mikey

NFL

Postby mikey » Mon Feb 03, 2020 2:53 pm

Damien Williams would have had many more yards through the first three quarters if Mahomes wasn't so bad early on...it took him about eight tries to get an accurate pass out into the flat...Damien Williams had like 6 targets in the first three quarters and 1 catch maybe...and it was on inaccurate passing...

I'd also not consider a 4-point lead garbage time...

Ignoring the stats, Williams was the most elusive player for KC early on and was really useful in extending plays and limiting the down and distance for an offense that had a lid put on it for a while...that's a big play offense, it's fast...and they had nothing going through 3. Mahomes had like a 150 yards and was outplayed by the other QB through 3. Now, of course, one turned it on and one turned it down...but Williams was better for me from start to finish...

tifosi77

NFL

Postby tifosi77 » Mon Feb 03, 2020 3:02 pm

A 4-point lead is garbage time when you have the ball and a 1st down can allow you to clock the game out.

mikey

NFL

Postby mikey » Mon Feb 03, 2020 3:07 pm

Damien Williams puts that ball on the turf, San Francisco wins the game. Would the fumble not have mattered because it was in garbage time...?

tifosi77

NFL

Postby tifosi77 » Mon Feb 03, 2020 3:12 pm

A 4-point lead is garbage time when you have the ball...

mikey

NFL

Postby mikey » Mon Feb 03, 2020 3:14 pm

Damien Williams fumbles that carry...that garbage time carry...and it has no possible, reasonable effect on the game...?

CBear3

NFL

Postby CBear3 » Mon Feb 03, 2020 3:22 pm

So we're going to give Pat credit for not throwing a pick on the last play? Or not dropping the snap on kneel downs?
I'd say the first 6 yards are a big deal, but he's untouched and the defense has obviously sold out.

NTP66

NFL

Postby NTP66 » Mon Feb 03, 2020 3:24 pm

So we're going to give Pat credit for not throwing a pick on the last play? Or not dropping the snap on kneel downs?
I'd say the first 6 yards are a big deal, but he's untouched and the defense has obviously sold out.
My thoughts, as well.

mikey

NFL

Postby mikey » Mon Feb 03, 2020 3:30 pm

I'd say the first 6 yards are a big deal
Great. So the carry was significant, in that, it clinched a Super Bowl victory. Tough to imagine that could be considered "garbage time" under any circumstance...I'm not trying to be difficult, but this is a bananaland take by yous...I get the circumstance, I get that the 49ers sold out to stop the run........and then Kansas City ran it.......and Damien Williams got past all those guys that sold out to stop him......and sealed the deal.

If he gets stopped, if he turns it over, if he botches that play in some way, he's potentially the goat of the game...

This isn't a first down in a 37-20 game with 1:54 left...it was a TD in a 24-20 game. Crazy that anyone could equate that to a kneel down...

NTP66

NFL

Postby NTP66 » Mon Feb 03, 2020 3:32 pm

So if Mahomes throws a slant to Williams, who runs it in because the 9ers quit, Mahomes is now the mvp because he sealed the game?

CBear3

NFL

Postby CBear3 » Mon Feb 03, 2020 3:33 pm

I'd say the first 6 yards are a big deal
Great. So the carry was significant, in that, it clinched a Super Bowl victory. Tough to imagine that could be considered "garbage time" under any circumstance...I'm not trying to be difficult, but this is a bananaland take by yous...I get the circumstance, I get that the 49ers sold out to stop the run........and then Kansas City ran it.......and Damien Williams got past all those guys that sold out to stop him......and sealed the deal.

If he gets stopped, if he turns it over, if he botches that play in some way, he's potentially the goat of the game...

This isn't a first down in a 37-20 game with 1:54 left...it was a TD in a 24-20 game. Crazy that anyone could equate that to a kneel down...
He doesn't get touched, he doesn't do anything special on that play.

NTP66

NFL

Postby NTP66 » Mon Feb 03, 2020 3:35 pm

@CBear3: I heard there were power outages right before kickoff in Kansas. Anything on the news today about that?

CBear3

NFL

Postby CBear3 » Mon Feb 03, 2020 3:38 pm

@CBear3: I heard there were power outages right before kickoff in Kansas. Anything on the news today about that?
I had to look that up. It also looks like the outages were in Missouri, not Kansas, so you're qualified to run for President, lol.
News says they were actually here at my office in Lee's Summit, which explains why my computer was off.

NTP66

NFL

Postby NTP66 » Mon Feb 03, 2020 3:40 pm

I had to look that up. It also looks like the outages were in Missouri, not Kansas, so you're qualified to run for President, lol.
News says they were actually here at my office in Lee's Summit, which explains why my computer was off.
lolol, I’m sure you guys loved being confused with Kansas. My one BIL lives in Lee’s Summit, so I wonder if the reason I haven’t seen him post anything on FB is because he threw his phone through the TV.

CBear3

NFL

Postby CBear3 » Mon Feb 03, 2020 3:49 pm

lolol, I’m sure you guys loved being confused with Kansas. My one BIL lives in Lee’s Summit, so I wonder if the reason I haven’t seen him post anything on FB is because he threw his phone through the TV.
Ouch :). Luckily it's not one of the denser populated areas, and it's across the street from the downtown area so 5 quick minutes in the car and they'd be in bar central.

NTP66

NFL

Postby NTP66 » Mon Feb 03, 2020 4:13 pm

Joe’s KC has TVs... and the best burnt ends on earth.