NFL

shafnutz05

NFL

Postby shafnutz05 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:58 am

Not sure if serious
Mahomes is undoubtedly more explosive, but I think that Goff is better equipped for long-term success in the league.
amirite?
:lol:

Guilty as charged.

shafnutz05

NFL

Postby shafnutz05 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:58 pm

Sounds like the MNF crew will not change for 2019. They were insufferable last night, with Booger drooling over how great Cam is and Witten his usual witless self.

mikey

NFL

Postby mikey » Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:05 pm

They are awful...

tifosi77

NFL

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:10 pm

I dunno, I like Witten. He's about on par with nearly every other first-year guy I can recall hearing, and has gotten better as the season has gone on. Goes to highlight what a gem Romo has been. *shrug*

Booger adds zero value, and honestly detracts from the game. It's not just that I find myself almost constantly disagreeing with what he has to say, having him disembodied from the other two commentators really kills the energy and dynamic of the broadcast.

shafnutz05

NFL

Postby shafnutz05 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:13 pm

having him disembodied from the other two commentators really kills the energy and dynamic of the broadcast.
Yeah, he just doesn't work.

tifosi77

NFL

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:16 pm

It's not the same as having a hockey color commentator down between the benches, because in that case the broadcaster is interacting with the players on both benches, he's hearing guys chirp at each other, he has to deal with pucks flying up at his face, etc; he's actually more part of the game. Booger is just in a big golf cart that goes up and down the sideline 30 feet behind one of the player benches.

mikey

NFL

Postby mikey » Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:33 pm

Tess wants every call he makes to be legendary, maybe because it felt like he got so many dramatic overtime games in college or that's just how he is...but every 2nd and 6 run for James Conner for 1 yard (suck me) doesn't have to be an epic call...if you want every play to be a big play, just call Big 12 games like that guy on Fox that's always yelling stuff...Gus Johnson or whatever his name is...

Witten sounds as smart as a ham sandwich out there...he might get better in time, but he offers almost nothing to the broadcast and is incoherent most of the time...he fumbles most attempts at important points and then offers nothing else...he should have started doing the rainy noon Big Ten game on ESPN where everyone is too hungover to listen or care, that would have been fine...but he got put in a big spot and he's not doing well...at all. It's like Steve Mears calling a Leafs game on HNIC this Saturday...it's just poop-flavored grapes...

Booger is a net negative through and through...he's just on there because they want a "hot takes"/"debate"/"conflict"/"too real" guy because all of their other shows rely on them...the one place ESPN could potentially be classy and not pit idiotos against estupidos, they decide to punt...which isn't the punto of this particular broadcast...ESPN not understanding their place/role/audience in the last 10-15 years is the expected result however, and here we are...
Last edited by mikey on Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LITT
Location: Those who don't listen will eventually be surrounded by people with nothing to say

NFL

Postby LITT » Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:34 pm

witten is terribad

Orlando Penguin

NFL

Postby Orlando Penguin » Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:28 pm

Most announcers nowadays have a bad case of diarrhea of the mouth, most notably, the play-by-play guy. The days of the understated Pat Summerall (Montana. Rice. Touchdown.) will be dead when Al Michaels hangs it up. Go to Youtube and find a big game from the 80s and listen to how Summerall gives you the bare bones and then lets Madden do his schtick. Nowadays, you have someone like Tessitore dramatizing every play just in case it gets put on 'greatest plays of the decade' video or Joe Buck injecting his opinion into a situation (the Randy Moss mooning the crowd for instance). MNF would be best served by bringing back Sean McDonough as play-by-play (he's the best one left in the ESPN college/pro football stable) and putting someone like one (not both) of the Hasselbecks as one of the analysts (again, only from ESPN stable as Spielman is now on Fox). I don't get too worked up about announcers because I can see what's going on and don't need anyone to tell me what's going on so I couldn't really point out specific things any of the MNF crew has said that was bad or wrong but it's pretty easy to tell that their flow is completely off and that's going to happen when there are 3-man booths.

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

NFL

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:36 pm

Brad Nessler is great at letting me watch the game.

His problem is he's paired with the awful Gary Danielson.

NailedPenguin
Location: The biggest post, in the biggest thread, in the biggest forum in town. Wooooo!

NFL

Postby NailedPenguin » Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:51 pm

On the final drive last night Witten kept going nuts because the Panthers needed to clock it and THEY WERENT CLOCKING IT :scared:, that was because half the team was still running up the field and no one was set yet.

Dickie Dunn

NFL

Postby Dickie Dunn » Tue Dec 18, 2018 4:01 pm

I love Tessitore but he's been surprisingly unenjoyable on MNF. Maybe he needs Teddy Atlas in the booth with him. For my money Kevin Harlan is probably the best PXP guy in the business.

mikey

NFL

Postby mikey » Tue Dec 18, 2018 4:24 pm

He's terrific, for sure.

MrKennethTKangaroo

NFL

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Tue Dec 18, 2018 4:58 pm

I love Tessitore but he's been surprisingly unenjoyable on MNF. Maybe he needs Teddy Atlas in the booth with him. For my money Kevin Harlan is probably the best PXP guy in the business.
Harlan is a bit excitable but he does a good job on sunday night/Monday night football on westwood 1 radio broadcast via da fan.

slappybrown

NFL

Postby slappybrown » Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:16 pm

Nessler -- great
Tessitore -- generally ok
Kevin Harlan -- great, one of the best voices in the broadcasting
Al Michaels -- GOAT PxP guy imo
Joe Buck -- stick to baseball pal
Jim Nantz -- He seems to be better now with Romo, seems much more invested compared to the Phil Simms days (thank God Simms is not doing live games anymore)

Jason Witten -- belongs in the garbage can
Booger -- liked him on studio shows, doesnt work on MNF as currently constituted
Collinsworth -- excellent
Tony Romo -- excellent

slappybrown

NFL

Postby slappybrown » Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:17 pm

Gus Johnson gets a good rating in my book. I know its theatrics and hes mainly there to just scream like a loon, but I know what I signed up for, and he delivers. I dont want him doing the Super Bowl or a CFB playoff game, but sure, why not have Gus do a 63-61 B12 game, fine by me

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

NFL

Postby meow » Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:19 pm

Tony Romo -- excellent
Pick one

NTP66

NFL

Postby NTP66 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:20 pm

Tony Romo -- excellent
Pick one
Now here’s a guy trying to turn this into a Sophie’s Choice situation.

slappybrown

NFL

Postby slappybrown » Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:39 pm

Tony Romo -- excellent
Pick one
Tough to choose man, but I suppose I’ll go with the new, shinier toy in Romo if I had to pick one or the other to call a Super bowl. Collinsworth is more polished given the quarter century head start in broadcasting but Romo makes the game more enjoyable in a different way.

willeyeam

NFL

Postby willeyeam » Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:45 pm

I've said this before but Collinsworth has really grown on me. Hated him at first. Not sure if I've grown to appreciate him more, if he's gotten better, or a little of both, but he's good. I'd still take Romo over him though.

NTP66

NFL

Postby NTP66 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:46 pm

Tony Romo -- excellent
Pick one
Tough to choose man, but I suppose I’ll go with the new, shinier toy in Romo if I had to pick one or the other to call a Super bowl. Collinsworth is more polished given the quarter century head start in broadcasting but Romo makes the game more enjoyable in a different way.
I'd probably go with Collinsworth, but was going to post the same about the two. Collinsworth is just more polished, but Romo conveys a new aspect of the game to viewers.

blackjack68

NFL

Postby blackjack68 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:21 pm

I prefer Romo’s insights and ability to breakdown a play...sometimes before the snap.

shafnutz05

NFL

Postby shafnutz05 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:28 pm

I think slappy and I have been two of the longest standing defenders of Collinsworth. I will genuinely be sad when he and Michaels are no longer doing Sunday nights.

tifosi77

NFL

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:33 pm

I never understood the hate towards Collinsworth. I can only attribute it to anti-Bengals bias.

willeyeam

NFL

Postby willeyeam » Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:35 pm

I never understood the hate towards Collinsworth. I can only attribute it to anti-Bengals bias.
When he first started he was very "I played in the NFL so listen to me" .. or that was my impression at least.