NFL

willeyeam

NFL

Postby willeyeam » Mon Feb 12, 2024 11:01 am

KC did a really nice job of stopping the run

Troy Loney

NFL

Postby Troy Loney » Mon Feb 12, 2024 11:02 am

Also, one thing to remember folks: This was a down year for KC. They had a turbulent regular season, and made the playoffs in no small part because they play in a tire fire of a division that saw two rivals fire their coaches in-season, and the third was Denver. But once they got to the playoffs, they beat the best offenses and defenses in the League, and knocked out both #1 seeds.

Their defense is probably only going to be better next year, and Mahomes is still under 30. Eventually the physical toll of playing three and four playoff games every year for half a decade will catch up to the core players. But man.
Playing in a crap division is a vital element for a modern dynasty, a free ticket to the playoffs, and an easy route to home playoff games.

This should be the example folks use for the "flipping the switch" regulation season --> playoffs metaphor.

Not sure I agree with anything on that last paragraph though. The defense is going probably lose Jones and Sneed. And, even if they keep Jones, he'll be paid, and effort is already an issue for him at times. Detroit and Houston have a ton of cap space and I think are going to go all out for these guys. Elite CB and DT is worth overpaying for.

Troy Loney

NFL

Postby Troy Loney » Mon Feb 12, 2024 11:09 am

Also, when did folks turn on Romo? I remember he was like the golden boy commentator. I never understood the love, and don’t understand the hate.

CBear3

NFL

Postby CBear3 » Mon Feb 12, 2024 11:11 am

KC did a really nice job of stopping the run
What was interesting was seeing big men who hadn't seen much playing time come up big, Wharton, Farrell, Herring, even first rounder FAU who's been considered a bust had a TFL. Mike Pennel had 4 tackles all season, last night he had 6 and three stuffs.

Morkle

NFL

Postby Morkle » Mon Feb 12, 2024 11:11 am

Yea, there are people legit upset with the guy. Dude's an announcer, who cares. He's still better than more than half the people who do it, and I don't want to hear Collinsworth at all.

dodint

NFL

Postby dodint » Mon Feb 12, 2024 11:11 am

I think Romo would be better if he had an effective broadcast partner. Currently, he has to carry the broadcast because he works with the intellectual equivalent of a speak-and-spell.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

NFL

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Mon Feb 12, 2024 11:15 am

tbh there’s not many color guys in any sport that I love. It’s intentionally intended to be least common denominator which is painful

I wish I could watch a stream where they have guys who aren’t afraid to get deeper into concepts

LITT
Location: Those who don't listen will eventually be surrounded by people with nothing to say

NFL

Postby LITT » Mon Feb 12, 2024 11:24 am

I think Romo would be better if he had an effective broadcast partner. Currently, he has to carry the broadcast because he works with the intellectual equivalent of a speak-and-spell.
im dead :lol: :lol:

tifosi77

NFL

Postby tifosi77 » Mon Feb 12, 2024 11:28 am

Yes, they have an entire 40-second play clock - often not all of which is available to them - to really do some 400-level footballin' for Murray and his Cheez-wiz dripping fingers.

tifosi77

NFL

Postby tifosi77 » Mon Feb 12, 2024 11:37 am

Also, when did folks turn on Romo?
During or after his fourth season (iirc) there was a rumor that CBS had to have a sort of intervention with him because of a lack of mid-week preparation that was bleeding into his commentary. He was showing up for the team interviews on Thursday quite clearly having done nothing at all since Sunday. The farther away you get from the sideline, the harder it is to keep up, and he was just sort of leaning on his enthusiasm to carry the day. I don't mean things like the fun parlor tricks of calling plays pre-snap, but more like....... not knowing a certain player has been on IR for a month, or circling the wrong spots on the telestrator. Companies don't want their highest-paid on-air talent sounding like semi-sentient dingleberries.

mikey

NFL

Postby mikey » Mon Feb 12, 2024 12:17 pm

We loved him because he was really calling plays and breaking down how/why they happened.
We turned on him because now he doesn't do any of the stuff that made us like him in the first place...hell, we had a drinking game going yesterday where it's three sips every time Romo doesn't finish a sentence/thought.

DigitalGypsy66

NFL

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Mon Feb 12, 2024 12:19 pm

Speaking of broadcasting, CBS's NFL Today crew might look really different next season. James Brown just signed a two year deal, but I don't think any of the old white guys are signed next season (Simms, Esaison, or Cowher). JJ Watt is under contract and I think Nate Burleson is a free agent (and is in high demand evidently).

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

NFL

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Mon Feb 12, 2024 12:32 pm

there was a play yesterday where the Chiefs had the ball close to the goal line and I think Mahomes got sacked due to pressure by Bosa. On the replay, Romo talked about how Bosa faked an outside rush and came inside and forced the pressure but that just seemed obviously wrong. It seemed like Bosa just saw that Mahomes was stepping up in the pocket and reacted accordingly. Romo just seemed dead wrong in that entry level analysis

LeopardLetang

NFL

Postby LeopardLetang » Mon Feb 12, 2024 12:47 pm

there was a play yesterday where the Chiefs had the ball close to the goal line and I think Mahomes got sacked due to pressure by Bosa. On the replay, Romo talked about how Bosa faked an outside rush and came inside and forced the pressure but that just seemed obviously wrong. It seemed like Bosa just saw that Mahomes was stepping up in the pocket and reacted accordingly. Romo just seemed dead wrong in that entry level analysis
Haha I paused that and replayed it and started telling my friend what Romo said and how he was right and eventually said uh no actually he doesn't know what he's saying

RonnieFranchise

NFL

Postby RonnieFranchise » Mon Feb 12, 2024 1:06 pm

The bottom line here is football overtime sucks.
What’s your proposal?
6 v 6 in OT for one period.

https://sixmanfootball.com/

Pavel Bure

NFL

Postby Pavel Bure » Mon Feb 12, 2024 1:19 pm

What’s your proposal?

Field goal kickoff. 3 kickers per team from 30 yards. If all make it keep going with more players from the bench. Go until someone misses.

MWB

NFL

Postby MWB » Mon Feb 12, 2024 1:25 pm

So it didn't have to do with the defense being gassed. I guess I can sort of see his logic, but I still think giving Mahomes the ball with him knowing exactly what he needs to do was a mistake. Also, settling for a field goal instead of getting the TD was probably a mistake. Also, getting the PAT blocked, abandoning the run game in the second half, special teams turnover... Those were also mistakes.
I can see where he’s coming from and it makes sense, but the value of knowing you have four downs outweighs that.

NTP66

NFL

Postby NTP66 » Mon Feb 12, 2024 1:25 pm

What’s your proposal?

Field goal kickoff. 3 kickers per team from 30 yards. If all make it keep going with more players from the bench. Go until someone misses.
Listen, I know this is a joke, but I'm all for it.

Sam's Drunk Dog

NFL

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog » Mon Feb 12, 2024 1:27 pm

What’s your proposal?

No

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

NFL

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Mon Feb 12, 2024 1:27 pm

I think the ability to be able to go for a 2 point conversion and end the game on the second possession gives the most weight to deferring in OT. It's not perfect by any means but it feels like it gives your team teh best chance to win

willeyeam

NFL

Postby willeyeam » Mon Feb 12, 2024 1:28 pm

You could go for two if you get the ball first

Troy Loney

NFL

Postby Troy Loney » Mon Feb 12, 2024 1:31 pm

I think they need to move touchbacks back to the 20 yard line.

50 yard field goals are almost routine, so a team only needs 3 first downs to get in scoring position. I think one thing that stands out about that game winning drive was that kc barely did anything of note. A couple mahomes scrambles and one big 3rd down pass.

nocera

NFL

Postby nocera » Mon Feb 12, 2024 1:34 pm

Leave playoff OT as is. Bring playoff OT to regular season. Also, remove kick offs from the game entirely.

dodint

NFL

Postby dodint » Mon Feb 12, 2024 1:35 pm

Also, remove kick offs from the game entirely.
Need that extra commercial break, fam.

Rylan

NFL

Postby Rylan » Mon Feb 12, 2024 1:36 pm

no. playoff OT should just be full qtr and not about possessions. So last night, they shouldve had to kickoff and then the game ends.

Regular season OT is fine.