NFL

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

NFL

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Mon Jan 22, 2024 12:45 pm

He's going to do nothing, especially on that short of a callup. If they were to get to the SB (which they won't) he would have at least a few weeks to try to learn how to do something.
just watch, he's gonna get two TDs against the Niners now that you made this post

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

NFL

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Mon Jan 22, 2024 1:19 pm

what's gonna suck for the Bills is they're gonna have to really re-tool their team. they're gonna be in a tough cap spot this offseason. I think they're, as of right now, projected to be 43 over the cap next season. I think they should probably trade Diggs

Pavel Bure

NFL

Postby Pavel Bure » Mon Jan 22, 2024 1:24 pm

what's gonna suck for the Bills is they're gonna have to really re-tool their team. they're gonna be in a tough cap spot this offseason. I think they're, as of right now, projected to be 43 over the cap next season. I think they should probably trade Diggs
I guess they could get a late round pick for him. It doesn’t seem like he still has the ability to be a game breaker.

NTP66

NFL

Postby NTP66 » Mon Jan 22, 2024 1:29 pm

**** Allen and **** the Bills.

Morkle

NFL

Postby Morkle » Mon Jan 22, 2024 1:55 pm

Are we upset because gambling is driving the NFL car now and it took potential points off the board?
I don't gamble. 'We' are upset because this is a bad rule. It gives credit to the defense for 'defending' their end zone, and that's very false imo. It doesn't reward a defense, it bails them out; they've failed to defend 99 yards of field, but here's the ball because Mr 4th Rounder didn't have 5 points of contact on the ball. It awards the defense a change of possession without actually having to possess the ball. It's a dumb holdover from the days when rugby rules were first adapted for football.
Fair. I just don't think it's a rule that rises to other issues of rules happening now. It's 100% clear, there's no gray area - and anything they decide now going forward will likely have gray area or some kind of exception.

I also don't look at it as a offense vs. defense thing. This is purely a protect the ball rule to me. I really don't care if it only punishes the offense, because it's a rule in place that the offense solely needs to be aware of.

willeyeam

NFL

Postby willeyeam » Mon Jan 22, 2024 1:56 pm

cap isn't real

Morkle

NFL

Postby Morkle » Mon Jan 22, 2024 1:56 pm

I guess they could get a late round pick for him. It doesn’t seem like he still has the ability to be a game breaker.
For as much as Diggs and his brother dodint about whatever they have to dodint about for Buffalo, he's rightfully earned the ticket out of there so both sides can move on from it.

Orlando Penguin

NFL

Postby Orlando Penguin » Mon Jan 22, 2024 2:02 pm

this is why I don’t understand people who don’t root against the Chiefs. They’re going to own the playoffs for most of Mahomes’ career
I have zero reason to root against them. My team is in the NFC. And the way the cap is, it should level the playing field. This was a year for those AFC teams to get KC because of their pretty poor receiving corps outside of Kelce & Rice.

mikey

NFL

Postby mikey » Mon Jan 22, 2024 2:57 pm

Are we upset because gambling is driving the NFL car now and it took potential points off the board?
I don't gamble. 'We' are upset because this is a bad rule. It gives credit to the defense for 'defending' their end zone, and that's very false imo. It doesn't reward a defense, it bails them out; they've failed to defend 99 yards of field, but here's the ball because Mr 4th Rounder didn't have 5 points of contact on the ball. It awards the defense a change of possession without actually having to possess the ball. It's a dumb holdover from the days when rugby rules were first adapted for football.
Fair. I just don't think it's a rule that rises to other issues of rules happening now. It's 100% clear, there's no gray area - and anything they decide now going forward will likely have gray area or some kind of exception.

I also don't look at it as a offense vs. defense thing. This is purely a protect the ball rule to me. I really don't care if it only punishes the offense, because it's a rule in place that the offense solely needs to be aware of.
This is the gray area. The defense can takeaway the ball without ever possessing it.

Unless, somehow...
"Ball out of bounds in the end zone" - defense ball at 20. -- clear.
"Ball out of bounds in the end zone" - offense ball at 20. -- gray area.

Morkle

NFL

Postby Morkle » Mon Jan 22, 2024 3:26 pm

I am completely ignoring the offense vs. defense switch. This is a rule where the offense is in control of its own destiny when controlling the ball.

I'm on the side of not really caring what they do either way - but I don't think it needs to be a direct action of any opposition, it's a self-inflicted rule. Much like kicking it out of bounds on the kick-off. The offense did nothing to benefit from it, but gets to start at the 40 because the people who possess the ball at the time couldn't keep it within the lines.

Troy Loney

NFL

Postby Troy Loney » Mon Jan 22, 2024 3:30 pm

I don't really care, it just doesn't make sense for the possession to change when a ball is fumbled out of the end zone when it doesn't change when the offense fumbles it out of bounds. Whatever way they go, the possession should be treated the same.

LITT
Location: Those who don't listen will eventually be surrounded by people with nothing to say

NFL

Postby LITT » Mon Jan 22, 2024 3:31 pm

cap isn't real
no cap

NTP66

NFL

Postby NTP66 » Mon Jan 22, 2024 3:33 pm

cap isn't real
no cap

willeyeam

NFL

Postby willeyeam » Mon Jan 22, 2024 3:34 pm

cap isn't real
no cap
fax no printer

mikey

NFL

Postby mikey » Mon Jan 22, 2024 3:46 pm

This is usually - like the call in question yesterday - the result of a strip by the defense...unless all strips are "self-inflicted" mistakes by the offense...

I can't imagine this has any utility, it's just a rule that (and I think someone mentioned this) I assume stayed on the books from the rugby days...back when an incomplete pass resulted in a turnover, and an incomplete pass in the end zone was a touchback...it's just one that wasn't updated.

Like how a safety is one of the rarest things to do now, but is only worth two points. I think way back you used to keep the ball after a safety if I'm not mistaken...it was a means of getting the ball out to the 30 without as much risk, but you gave the other team two points...it's just an old fuddy duddy rule that doesn't make a ton of sense now that the game has evolved...

tifosi77

NFL

Postby tifosi77 » Mon Jan 22, 2024 3:56 pm

Everyone's seen those lists of weird statutes that are still on the books in different states that outlive their intended usefulness by decades, if not a century or more. (e.g. State Stores) This is one those deals. It was codified for an incarnation of the game that hasn't existed for 70+ years.

dodint

NFL

Postby dodint » Mon Jan 22, 2024 4:48 pm

I'm on the side of not really caring what they do either way - but I don't think it needs to be a direct action of any opposition, it's a self-inflicted rule. Much like kicking it out of bounds on the kick-off. The offense did nothing to benefit from it, but gets to start at the 40 because the people who possess the ball at the time couldn't keep it within the lines.
Getting the ball at the 40 compensates the return team that didn't get a chance to return the kick.

Why it doesn't also apply to punts (probably because of the variable location on the field for punts) is an inconsistency.

willeyeam

NFL

Postby willeyeam » Mon Jan 22, 2024 5:10 pm

Getting the ball at the 40 compensates the return team that didn't get a chance to return the kick.

Why it doesn't also apply to punts (probably because of the variable location on the field for punts) is an inconsistency.
kickoffs aren't contested, you don't have to punt - you're willingly giving the ball to the opponent. the opponent doesn't have the right to a return etc etc

shoeshine boy

NFL

Postby shoeshine boy » Mon Jan 22, 2024 5:22 pm

dodint

NFL

Postby dodint » Mon Jan 22, 2024 6:42 pm

kickoffs aren't contested, you don't have to punt - you're willingly giving the ball to the opponent. the opponent doesn't have the right to a return etc etc
*Like*

robbiestoupe

NFL

Postby robbiestoupe » Tue Jan 23, 2024 11:53 am

Going back to the Kyle Shanahan cannot adjust debate. This is what frustrated me so much about Cowher and continues to frustrate me about Tomlin. It’s their way win or lose. No in-game adjustment, no team specific adjustments. As if everything is scripted and they’re playing some baseball simulation game.

It’s also why Belichick was so successful as he studied each team’s weakness and exploited it.

Pavel Bure

NFL

Postby Pavel Bure » Tue Jan 23, 2024 12:08 pm

Going back to the Kyle Shanahan cannot adjust debate. This is what frustrated me so much about Cowher and continues to frustrate me about Tomlin. It’s their way win or lose. No in-game adjustment, no team specific adjustments. As if everything is scripted and they’re playing some baseball simulation game.

It’s also why Belichick was so successful as he studied each team’s weakness and exploited it.
Don’t know about Shanny but I’d say you’re right about coaches that won’t adjust. There was a part of the Lions post game where they were asked about sending pressure on Baker. The Lion had noticed by watching film that whe the Bucs sent a receiver in motion they always did something and the Lions could have a free runner at the QB. In the presser the coach said every time they saw the Bucs do that thing, the defense had a signal or call to switch into pressuring. I don’t see Tomlin ever getting that deep.

tifosi77

NFL

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Jan 23, 2024 2:47 pm

How many 4th qtr comebacks have the Steelers had under Tomlin? I think there have been like 5 or 6 just in the last couple seasons.

willeyeam

NFL

Postby willeyeam » Tue Jan 23, 2024 2:49 pm

Don’t know about Shanny but I’d say you’re right about coaches that won’t adjust. There was a part of the Lions post game where they were asked about sending pressure on Baker. The Lion had noticed by watching film that whe the Bucs sent a receiver in motion they always did something and the Lions could have a free runner at the QB. In the presser the coach said every time they saw the Bucs do that thing, the defense had a signal or call to switch into pressuring. I don’t see Tomlin ever getting that deep.
this isn't to give Tomlin too much credit, but of course he does. This was sht we did in pee wee football. Even at that level we charted plays and knew what teams did out of formations and had automatic blitzes if a certain thing happened

dodint

NFL

Postby dodint » Tue Jan 23, 2024 2:50 pm

When you start every game down two touchdowns you get a lot of opportunities to come back.