Should kids be able to fly on an airplane?

Should kids be allowed on airplanes, or should we just dodint about it?

Yes, mini-me lives matter
68%
No, MIMH and his ilk should never be allowed on an airplane
32%

Total votes: 34
dodint

Postby dodint » Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:30 am

Yup, NTP66 gets it. The article is about 45,000 people signing a petition saying they want to pay for Basic Economy seats but with the entitlement of being able to select their seat assignment.

It's not about loving or hating kids.

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Tue Feb 25, 2020 8:02 am

I think the issue here is for parents who feel as though they're entitled to sit together for free when they book the flight. That's the assumption I was working on. Things change if the flight is already packed when you go to book.
This 10000%

shoeshine boy

Postby shoeshine boy » Tue Feb 25, 2020 8:16 am

Yup, NTP66 gets it. The article is about 45,000 people signing a petition saying they want to pay for Basic Economy seats but with the entitlement of being able to select their seat assignment.

It's not about loving or hating kids.
in a nutshell. I know people who book Basic Economy who say they are confident that they won't end up in a middle seat and don't care if they're in the back of the plane. some of them come from small to medium sized airports where the flights are rarely full. I fly out of ATL where the flights are ALWAYS full so I'm not willing to risk it.

robbiestoupe

Postby robbiestoupe » Tue Feb 25, 2020 8:49 am

The issue is the airlines are greedy and want to up-charge for a "premium" seat. There's nothing premium about any seat on a domestic flight, save for the emergency exit rows which should be saved for singleton fliers 6' and taller.

If I see a mother and her kids on a metro train looking for seats, you bet your ass I'm moving so they can sit together. But for some reason if that train is a flying train, common courtesy doesn't apply.

mikey

Postby mikey » Tue Feb 25, 2020 8:52 am

They willfully opted out of that arrangement on the plane. On the metro, it's first-come, first-serve...

I'm not even necessarily taking a side, but that's a touch disingenuous...

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Tue Feb 25, 2020 8:53 am

While I agree that the premium seats is just price gouging simply by being closer to the front, I don't think the comparison is fair given that there are no assigned seats on most trains. I've moved a number of times to let families sit together on the regional rail I take to work.

robbiestoupe

Postby robbiestoupe » Tue Feb 25, 2020 8:56 am

I'm not comparing the two in their current states, just that an airplane is a glorified flying train. Why is one given exclusive seating arrangements and the other not? Sure, it's not an apples to apples comparison but it's not far away from it.

mikey

Postby mikey » Tue Feb 25, 2020 9:09 am

The difference between assigned seats and unassigned, and the difference between varied enter/exit points vs single destination makes this unpalatable to me...

shoeshine boy

Postby shoeshine boy » Tue Feb 25, 2020 9:49 am

I'm not comparing the two in their current states, just that an airplane is a glorified flying train. Why is one given exclusive seating arrangements and the other not? Sure, it's not an apples to apples comparison but it's not far away from it.
it's not even close to apples to apples. the main difference here is time spent on these things. there's a huge difference between being uncomfortable less than comfortable on a 30 minute subway/commuter train ride and being squeezed into a Main Cabin airline seat for 3 hours.

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:22 am

They willfully opted out of that arrangement on the plane. On the metro, it's first-come, first-serve...

Well Southwest Airlines is first-come, first-serve.

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:23 am

Well Southwest Airlines is first-come, first-serve.
You chose to fly southwest rather than another airline that would let you pick seating if you so wanted (at a price).

I believe you can also pay for preferred boarding on southwest to be in a first group on the plane to pick preferred seas before everyone else gets on.

mikey

Postby mikey » Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:24 am

Fair, but that's an exception in my experience...

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:25 am

If you fly Southwest you deserve to be seated in between two kids.

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:26 am

southwest lets families board first iirc

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:28 am

https://www.southwest.com/html/generate ... e_faq.html

Two adults traveling with a child six years old or younger may board during Family Boarding, which occurs after the “A” group has boarded and before the “B” group begins boarding. If the child and the adult are both holding an “A” boarding pass, they should board in their assigned boarding position.

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Tue Feb 25, 2020 11:32 am

https://www.southwest.com/html/generate ... e_faq.html

Two adults traveling with a child six years old or younger may board during Family Boarding, which occurs after the “A” group has boarded and before the “B” group begins boarding. If the child and the adult are both holding an “A” boarding pass, they should board in their assigned boarding position.
I understand their policy. We usually only fly southwest, but I’ve run into multiple situations where pre-boarding and A boarding have taken up most rows. So not all families were able to sit together.

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Tue Feb 25, 2020 11:48 am

I wouldn't want to see a 4 year old separated from their family. To which I say, if you are flying with a 4 year old, maybe it's your responsibility to pay for A boarding to ensure that doesn't happen? Or fly with an airline where you can pick your seats to ensure you're together? I can't imagine having a kid and thinking ehh screw it hopefully we're together.

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Tue Feb 25, 2020 11:53 am

I wouldn't want to see a 4 year old separated from their family. To which I say, if you are flying with a 4 year old, maybe it's your responsibility to pay for A boarding to ensure that doesn't happen? Or fly with an airline where you can pick your seats to ensure you're together? I can't imagine having a kid and thinking ehh screw it hopefully we're together.
:thumb:

mikey

Postby mikey » Tue Feb 25, 2020 11:56 am

Yeah, use your (insane) tax credit for having kids to pay $13 to sit with your kids...why leave it up to chance...?

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Tue Feb 25, 2020 12:02 pm

I don’t care if someone moves or not so we can sit together. I just won’t give a **** if you get annoyed at my kid who is sitting next to you. I’ll tell you suck it up buttercup, you decided to sit next to us knowing you had another option.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Tue Feb 25, 2020 12:41 pm

If you fly Southwest you deserve to be seated in between two kids.
I actually feel the closest to this. I have a kid, I've flown with kids around me all the time on Southwest and largely ignore kids for the most part because a)Southwest is the value brand airline (you get what you're paying for) and b) I fly enough to know that having noise cancelling headphones are worth their weight in gold.

These people that piss and moan about having to sit in the middle because they checked-in late and got C, and ended up sitting next to a sh*tty person, that's not on the sh*tty person. Either pay for early bird check-in, pay for priority 1-15 seating, or don't suck and wait to check-in.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Tue Feb 25, 2020 12:52 pm

That's why I pay for premium seats so I don't have to sit next to the peasants.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Tue Feb 25, 2020 12:57 pm

If you fly A - you at most, know you're not sitting next to a child in the front of a plane, if you pick the middle of the plane, you deserve your fate.

If you fly B - the children and families have already been seated, if you sit near them you deserve your fate.

If you fly C - you deserve your fate, better luck next time.

I don't see the problem.

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Tue Feb 25, 2020 1:13 pm

Why is it “fly on an airplane” and not “fly in an airplane”? What’s the deal with that?

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Tue Feb 25, 2020 1:22 pm

More leg room outside the fuselage.