Should kids be able to fly on an airplane?

Should kids be allowed on airplanes, or should we just dodint about it?

Yes, mini-me lives matter
68%
No, MIMH and his ilk should never be allowed on an airplane
32%

Total votes: 34
NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:29 am

This topic shouldn't be about kids flying on an airplane. You know what you are going to get with a kid - it's how the parent handles it that influences the experience of other passengers.

If a baby is crying and I see the parents trying everything - I'm okay with that. I'll even help if I can. If a baby is crying and the parents have their headphones in, and pretty much ignoring everything - it's not the baby's fault... it's the parents apathy that makes me angry.
This x1000.

robbiestoupe

Postby robbiestoupe » Thu Jun 16, 2016 1:11 pm

So reset the poll?

slappybrown

Postby slappybrown » Thu Jun 16, 2016 1:22 pm

This topic shouldn't be about kids flying on an airplane. You know what you are going to get with a kid - it's how the parent handles it that influences the experience of other passengers.

If a baby is crying and I see the parents trying everything - I'm okay with that. I'll even help if I can. If a baby is crying and the parents have their headphones in, and pretty much ignoring everything - it's not the baby's fault... it's the parents apathy that makes me angry.
This x1000.

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Thu Jun 30, 2016 8:56 pm

dodint

Postby dodint » Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:29 pm

Source of the post I'm for kid zones, as mentioned in my first post on the matter. Is it that unreasonable?
yes. yes it is
I'm not talking about the Virgin Airways plan of taking all the kids and putting them in a cordoned off day care. I'm talking about designated blocks of rows where people with kids sit. It's an airplane, everyone is going to the same place and has identical seating. If you were assigned a seat in one of these areas you would feel oppressed? What's the matter, don't want to sit near someone else's kid? :lol:
"sorry mom...you can't see your grandkids this year because, while there are plenty of seats available, the kids section is full on all the flights"
I think there should be some flexibility for some sort of overflow. However, at what point would you draw the line?

If you extend the line so far, then there's no real kid zone, family zone, or whatever you want to call it, and the people who chose that flight are basically taking a standard flight with screaming babies and the like.

When does the responsibility come back to the person scheduling the flight if there is nothing available?

BTW, I don't think there's a right answer to this question. I'm just bringing up a few questions for the discussion.

I see both sides to it but there's no way of truly enforcing a kid zone in such a confined area. If Little Jimmy is gonna scream in row 3, those people in row 16 will hear him regardless of the zone. )
Air India now has a female-only zone: http://www.businessinsider.com/air-indi ... ats-2017-1

Kids can't be far behind...

Silentom

Postby Silentom » Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:47 pm

I find that to be extremely sexist.

dodint

Postby dodint » Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:28 pm

I'm sitting at the gate today watching groups come and go. This is the first time I have ever heard a gate attendant announce that they need volunteers, by incentive of a free dinner, from specific rows to swap seats to accommodate a family with small children that did not book seats together.

Maybe that 'doctor' getting his face beat in really was a tangible win for all of us.

columbia

Postby columbia » Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:29 pm

The answer is still "no."

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:40 pm

I've swapped seats before to let somebody sit with their family. Unless it's a really, really bad seat, it's not a huge deal.

dodint

Postby dodint » Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:41 pm

Yeah, we did that part already. Maybe while you were away.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:36 pm

Sometimes you can really make out well. I've seen somebody get bumped to first class for giving up their aisle seat to a parent willingly and with a smile (standby hadnt been filled yet), and this was a cross-country flight.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:44 pm

Air India now has a female-only zone: http://www.businessinsider.com/air-indi ... ats-2017-1

Kids can't be far behind...
Well, they kind of have a gropey/rapey culture over there. I actually kind of understand that.

lol, and sure enough I just read the article and that was one of the main catalysts.

dodint

Postby dodint » Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:25 pm

https://amp.usatoday.com/amp/4823602002

Parents asking for special consideration. They love their kids, but not enough to pay extra for seat assignments like literally everybody else.

MWB

Postby MWB » Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:35 pm

This doesn’t affect me because me kids are old enough to sit where they want, but seems like this would be a benefit for everyone. Who wants to sit next to a bratty kid while they whine for their parents the whole time or bother the stranger next to them?

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:39 pm

My favorite is when they ask me to switch seats because they didn't think to book their tickets together

dodint

Postby dodint » Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:43 pm

From that perspective it is kind of an extortion scheme by the families, right? I just booked a flight the other day. The choice was choose my seat for ~$240 or roll the dice at $225.

If I have a kid I can save $30 if I choose Basic Economy and then dare the airline to split us up. Which gets me a discounted ticket and takes up airline/airport resources to cater to me at the gate for something I could have responsibly secured for myself at the time of booking.

The petition is for a breeder discount.

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:50 pm

People have kids. Otherwise, we wouldn't be here. Get over it.

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:53 pm

My favorite is when they ask me to switch seats because they didn't think to book their tickets together
If my 2.5 year old asks for mommy or daddy the whole flight while sitting next to you, then you have zero right to complain about not switching seats...

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:58 pm

Flying in this day and age is garbage. I look forward to never having to go to an airport again.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Tue Feb 25, 2020 6:20 am

People have kids. Otherwise, we wouldn't be here. Get over it.
:thumb:

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Tue Feb 25, 2020 6:53 am

From that perspective it is kind of an extortion scheme by the families, right? I just booked a flight the other day. The choice was choose my seat for ~$240 or roll the dice at $225.

If I have a kid I can save $30 if I choose Basic Economy and then dare the airline to split us up. Which gets me a discounted ticket and takes up airline/airport resources to cater to me at the gate for something I could have responsibly secured for myself at the time of booking.

The petition is for a breeder discount.
I've been a defender of children on airplanes, but I agree with this. If you're buying Basic Economy, this is on you and you alone. It's not a safety issue, because if it were, you'd have bought tickets that come with assigned seats. And sorry, I'm not giving up my seat, nor will I feel bad about it.

Now, if there's an equipment change and somehow seats are **** for everyone, I can see wanting to have the airline put you together.

FistOfCaufield

Postby FistOfCaufield » Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:14 am

I'd switch seats for free to ensure a family sits together. Maybe it's something about having a family of your own. This idea of "you should have gotten your seats together" assumes everyone booked at the same time.

Usually airlines will do their best to seat families together... they have all the information, the ages, etc. 'd say 90% of the flight doesn't "select" their seats because despite all the bravado about paying more to select seats, nobody is.

Don't be an heathen, kids are great.. and yes there are some shitty parents, but its not the kids fault.

I have a 2 and a 5 year old now... when I was younger I may have been slightly aggravated at the sound of crying... now I don't mind and I feel bad for the little one. Call it empathy or whatever.. but it's life, and I don't mind the sound of it at all. Kids are one of the most awesome things in the world and I've loved every step of development that mine have been through - looking forward to more, then I'll probably be sad when it's all done.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:18 am

I think the issue here is for parents who feel as though they're entitled to sit together for free when they book the flight. That's the assumption I was working on. Things change if the flight is already packed when you go to book.

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:28 am

I think the issue here is for parents who feel as though they're entitled to sit together for free when they book the flight. That's the assumption I was working on. Things change if the flight is already packed when you go to book.
Yes

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:29 am

Example - I book and pay for an aisle seat. Dad and son are in the aisle and window and Mom in the middle seat in front of me wants to switch. No thanks