Thread of Love v6.9

Blue Canary

Thread of Love v6.9

Postby Blue Canary » Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:42 pm

Boy complains about the amount of books I own and wishes I would throw some out, then he buys me a bookshelf. I am a lucky woman :thumb:
Dump him.

I'm sorry, obhave, I'm not at all helpful. :? But books are a life source.

No, seriously, it's nice that he's reconciling his annoyance with your intellectual pursuits. :)

A guy I dated took umbrage at the fact that I was staying in my apartment on a lovely Saturday afternoon getting caught up with cleaning and working on a huge school paper I had due that week. You'd have thought I committed a serious crime vs. humanity. I get that it was nice out and one should stop and smell the roses and all that, but the paper wasn't going to write itself. In reality, his issue was me being in grad school while working full time--as if it impinged on his life. It wasn't like he wanted me to go out and do something with him that day. What a dick he was.

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Thread of Love v6.9

Postby meow » Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:18 pm

Might as well put this thread to sleep since we won't have Godric making up obviously fake stories anymore.

Lemon Berry Lobster

Thread of Love v6.9

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:30 pm

Really? Couldn't tell based on your multitude of stories :slug:
Well it had been 3 months of zero contact on her part. She would call and never leave a voice mail. Finally left one today and said she found a new job, closer to where I live and asked if she could come over after she was done. I sent a text that said I don't want you to come over, don't want you to call, please delete my number. Her response was okay sorry. So I hope I'm now in the clear but I'm not going to hold me breath.

Morkle

Thread of Love v6.9

Postby Morkle » Sat Jul 08, 2017 10:17 pm

Well it had been 3 months of zero contact on her part. She would call and never leave a voice mail. Finally left one today and said she found a new job, closer to where I live and asked if she could come over after she was done. I sent a text that said I don't want you to come over, don't want you to call, please delete my number. Her response was okay sorry. So I hope I'm now in the clear but I'm not going to hold me breath.
I still say to just completely cut all contact with her. No matter what she tries, just ignore and move on (as hard as that can be). If she shows up, don't open the door, don't acknowledge that there's anyone there and move on.

Lemon Berry Lobster

Thread of Love v6.9

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Sun Jul 09, 2017 12:43 am

I still say to just completely cut all contact with her. No matter what she tries, just ignore and move on (as hard as that can be). If she shows up, don't open the door, don't acknowledge that there's anyone there and move on.
I had ignored calls and texts for just a few weeks shy of six months. Nearly a year after she kicked me out. We had a few business reasons, shared bank account and shared names on a title of a car to clear up. Once those were taken care of ignored all attempts of contact. To be clear it isn't hard. I have moved on. It's just silly.

obhave

Thread of Love v6.9

Postby obhave » Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:52 am

Boy complains about the amount of books I own and wishes I would throw some out, then he buys me a bookshelf. I am a lucky woman :thumb:
Dump him.

No, seriously, it's nice that he's reconciling his annoyance with your intellectual pursuits. :)
Oh, the complaints are only about space in our apartment, not because I read a lot.

Blue Canary

Thread of Love v6.9

Postby Blue Canary » Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:03 am

Dump him.

Oh, the complaints are only about space in our apartment, not because I read a lot.
:thumb: Mea culpa. It was inappropriate for me to assume. :)

Rylan

Thread of Love v6.9

Postby Rylan » Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:49 pm

e-reader = no need for bookshelf. :pop:

you're welcome @obhave

obhave

Thread of Love v6.9

Postby obhave » Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:48 pm

you're welcome @obhave
No one will ever convince me to only get books on my Kindle, I love flipping the physical pages too much.

Plus, full bookcases with all their colors are just so pretty.

Silentom

Thread of Love v6.9

Postby Silentom » Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:00 pm

you're welcome @obhave
No one will ever convince me to only get books on my Kindle, I love flipping the physical pages too much.

Plus, full bookcases with all their colors are just so pretty.
Yes, please.

Physical books and hardcovers for life.

Rylan

Thread of Love v6.9

Postby Rylan » Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:24 pm

@obhave

Problem solved. :pop:

Rylan

Thread of Love v6.9

Postby Rylan » Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:31 pm

I am only kidding, but if I never have to have another "real" book again, I'd be happy. I much prefer the simplicity and ease of access that an e-reader provides me. A library at my fingertips. I have a Paperwhite and it has a similar appearance on each page as a regular book. Not identical by any means, but it is just more comfortable for me. #donetrolling

Gaucho

Thread of Love v6.9

Postby Gaucho » Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:54 pm

Physical books, please.

Lemon Berry Lobster

Thread of Love v6.9

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:41 am

Went on a date with a girl that's 7 years younger than I am last night. Went well actually.

RonnieFranchise

Thread of Love v6.9

Postby RonnieFranchise » Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:17 pm

Someone posted a picture on facebook that included me and my first serious gf, which would have been the summer after I graduated from high school. Decided to look her up as we had not been in touch in like.... 28 years? Just out of curiosity.

It turns out that she has a son a year or so younger than my oldest who has pretty severe autism. She quit her job in order to be with him and be a full-time autism advocate.

I'm sure sending her a note saying hey, just wanted to tell you I think what you have devoted your life to is a great thing would be pretty stalker-y but there is something that warms my heart knowing that she is (apparently) the great person I knew she would be. Heaven knows between dating her and my wife I had my share of bad ones.....

Gaucho

Thread of Love v6.9

Postby Gaucho » Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:25 pm

I wouldn't be surprised if she'd be happy to hear from you.

tifosi77

Thread of Love v6.9

Postby tifosi77 » Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:26 pm

Frame it you just did and I don't think it would be stalker-y imo.

dodint

Thread of Love v6.9

Postby dodint » Tue Jul 09, 2019 3:44 pm

Came across this paper while enroute to something productive:

‘A Diamond is Forever’ and Other Fairy Tales: The Relationship between Wedding Expenses and Marriage Duration
Abstract
In this paper, we evaluate the association between wedding spending and marriage duration using data from a survey of over 3,000 ever-married persons in the United States. Controlling for a number of demographic and relationship characteristics, we find evidence that marriage duration is inversely associated with spending on the engagement ring and wedding ceremony.
Those that spend more have a lesser chance of having a successful marriage. My guess is that men that opt to spend high on the ring are trying to convince their bride-to-be of something they're not sold on, and in the end it doesn't produce a solid partnership.

Put another way, a woman eager to accept a sub-$1,000 ring is a keeper.

Willie Kool

Thread of Love v6.9

Postby Willie Kool » Tue Jul 09, 2019 3:52 pm

You can't buy love. We spent less than $1000 on everything wedding related. Been together for 32+ years now.

MrKennethTKangaroo

Thread of Love v6.9

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Tue Jul 09, 2019 4:10 pm

You can't buy love. We spent less than $1000 on everything wedding related. Been together for 32+ years now.
you cant buy love but you can try and steal the solstice thread :slug:

Lemon Berry Lobster

Thread of Love v6.9

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Tue Jul 09, 2019 4:11 pm

You only spent that little because every one else wouldn't pay for it...

;)

Willie Kool

Thread of Love v6.9

Postby Willie Kool » Tue Jul 09, 2019 4:27 pm

you cant buy love but you can try and steal the solstice thread :slug:
:lol: :fist:

Willie Kool

Thread of Love v6.9

Postby Willie Kool » Tue Jul 09, 2019 4:45 pm

You only spent that little because every one else wouldn't pay for it...

;)
:lol: Like a true communist....

RonnieFranchise

Thread of Love v6.9

Postby RonnieFranchise » Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:34 pm

Someone posted a picture on facebook that included me and my first serious gf, which would have been the summer after I graduated from high school. Decided to look her up as we had not been in touch in like.... 28 years? Just out of curiosity.

It turns out that she has a son a year or so younger than my oldest who has pretty severe autism. She quit her job in order to be with him and be a full-time autism advocate.

I'm sure sending her a note saying hey, just wanted to tell you I think what you have devoted your life to is a great thing would be pretty stalker-y but there is something that warms my heart knowing that she is (apparently) the great person I knew she would be. Heaven knows between dating her and my wife I had my share of bad ones.....
Update a year later: she wasn’t interested in hearing from me, apparently.

AuthorTony

Thread of Love v6.9

Postby AuthorTony » Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:52 pm

Update a year later: she wasn’t interested in hearing from me, apparently.
Are you sure she even saw your message? Facebook sometimes directed messages to a "requests" folder and if a person doesn't check that folder (most don't even know it exists) they never see it.