Video Games

Shyster

Video Games

Postby Shyster » Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:29 pm

I've probably spent more than 500 hours each playing the games in the Fallout/Elder Scrolls series. And I'm probably somewhere around 1,500–2,000 hours on Kerbal Space Program.

I'm so far behind in working though my game library, I just started playing Doom 3. That whole "gun or flashlight" thing is bullcrap. Nearly 150 years in the future and none of the guns have a Picatinny rail for mounting a light? Military issue weapons right now have rails for lights. I installed an "all guns have lights" mod.

nocera

Video Games

Postby nocera » Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:33 pm

DICE is reducing the amount of credits to unlock the top heroes by 75%, due to "feedback" received over the last few days.

https://www.ea.com/games/starwars/battl ... 0608954040
Yup. Internet outrage works. Whoever said it was a minority is still correct but it’s an extremely vocal minority.

Lemon Berry Lobster

Video Games

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:43 pm

DICE is reducing the amount of credits to unlock the top heroes by 75%, due to "feedback" received over the last few days.

https://www.ea.com/games/starwars/battl ... 0608954040
Yup. Internet outrage works. Whoever said it was a minority is still correct but it’s an extremely vocal minority.
I have no way to prove it but I heard on a stream of the game that 70,000 pre-orders were canceled. If true definitely a big reason why they dropped the prices.

shafnutz05

Video Games

Postby shafnutz05 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:41 pm

I'm so far behind in working though my game library, I just started playing Doom 3. That whole "gun or flashlight" thing is bullcrap. Nearly 150 years in the future and none of the guns have a Picatinny rail for mounting a light? Military issue weapons right now have rails for lights. I installed an "all guns have lights" mod.
For some reason, I am having a heck of a time getting into this game. I think I've become so accustomed to open world action, that the linear nature of the levels doesn't appeal to me nearly as much as it used to. And I say this as someone that played every Doom, and even downloaded dozens and dozens of WADs via DoomWAD playing custom levels.

Shyster

Video Games

Postby Shyster » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:54 pm

I know Doom 3 came out years before, but it reminds me much more of a Dead Space game than it does a Doom game.

Silentom

Video Games

Postby Silentom » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:08 pm

That comment on Reddit is now up (down?) to -576k.

shafnutz05

Video Games

Postby shafnutz05 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:33 am

So EA came out with an announcement that they were slashing the in-game credit prices of all of the characters by 75%. Of course, this doesn't inherently change the nature of the game.

Dickie Dunn

Video Games

Postby Dickie Dunn » Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:14 am

I read an article yesterday that discussed how the copy of the game given to reviewers had the unlocks for Vader and Luke set at 10K, which of course resulted in zero reviewed criticizing the unlock system. The entire thing is just ****.

Silentom

Video Games

Postby Silentom » Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:15 am

So EA came out with an announcement that they were slashing the in-game credit prices of all of the characters by 75%. Of course, this doesn't inherently change the nature of the game.
I just read that they also slowed down the amount of credits earned by grinding. So even though they reduced cost, it will still take forever to grind and and unlock them.

https://www.vg247.com/2017/11/14/star-w ... -campaign/

LITT
Location: Those who don't listen will eventually be surrounded by people with nothing to say

Video Games

Postby LITT » Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:40 am

The most downvoted comment in Reddit's history was at a little over 24,000. EA's comment is currently sitting at 359,000 downvotes. Congrats?
the reddit realm is completely foreign to me but this seems like a watershed moment?

Morkle

Video Games

Postby Morkle » Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:55 am

Reviews are mostly negative to mediocre so far. It's ranking in the 5-7's out of 10 from most sites. In the world of mega triple A (and it's brand power), this is a major happening.

We'll see how sales trend, but this has not been a great week.

Dickie Dunn

Video Games

Postby Dickie Dunn » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:11 am

Reviews are mostly negative to mediocre so far. It's ranking in the 5-7's out of 10 from most sites. In the world of mega triple A (and it's brand power), this is a major happening.

We'll see how sales trend, but this has not been a great week.
Yikes. Mass Effect Andromeda's poor reviews and terrible sales effectively killed the series for the foreseeable future. Wonder what this will do to the Star Wars Battlefront series. Also, **** EA.

DigitalGypsy66

Video Games

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:14 am

DICE really wanted to get off on a good foot with this game, after the first Battlefront kind of flopped.

It looks like EA really forced the DICE development team to add these grinding mechanics into the game.

And of course these developers are getting death threats on social media and Reddit. Sigh.

Miami Vice

Video Games

Postby Miami Vice » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:16 am

I was thinking more about video game "pricing" in regards to all these DLC type purchases.

Could this be an situation where the [somewhat] arbitrary $60 retail price is no longer properly reflective of how much a game costs to develop, market, and maintain after release?

I remember N64 games being about $60 20 years ago (20 years?!). I know they spend several hundred million developing these games now

Are game publishers trying to keep a certain price point on store shelves and figuring they need to make up the difference elsewhere, or are the simply bowing down to their boards and shareholders who expect incremental revenue?

DigitalGypsy66

Video Games

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:24 am

Are game publishers trying to keep a certain price point on store shelves and figuring they need to make up the difference elsewhere, or are the simply bowing down to their boards and shareholders who expect incremental revenue?
I think it's probably a bit of both.

From the Battlefield and Battlefront series (and CoD as well, I'm sure), they have had a season pass or "Premium" (in Battlefield) that runs about $50 on top of the $60 for the base version of the game. This gives you access to all of the DLC created for the title. Of course, you can buy DLCs individually at about $15 a piece. This brought additional revenue, obviously, but divided the player base: those without Premium or Season Pass access would be locked out of the new maps. Generally, these DLC maps would die off after a month or so, because not enough players are populating servers with those maps.

So the fans have been complaining about this for years, and finally with Battlefront 2, EA announced that the season pass model for that franchise would be done. All DLC and added goodies come with the base game. Astute gamers - or people with common business sense - knew that some revenue model would replace that season pass/Premium model, and the paid loot crates is what we got.

Morkle

Video Games

Postby Morkle » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:26 am

I'd pay $100 for a game I loved if that meant no more paid DLC or paid unlockables.

That'll never happen, so....

My frustration is that sure they price point has stayed the same, but the quality has effectively gotten worse. Having the ability to patch the game has made them more lax in pushing out unfinished/buggy games.

nocera

Video Games

Postby nocera » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:32 am

I actually remember N64 games being significantly more money than Playstation games. I feel like new PS1 games were around $45-50 while new N64 games were $60-70.

This ad shows most games at $69.99.
That was likely the last big leap in game prices.

DigitalGypsy66

Video Games

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:32 am

The new COD game has already had two patches, and it's still broken, according to friends of mine.

I liked it when software shipped on cartridges or floppy disks, with no hopes of patching. Those were the days.

nocera

Video Games

Postby nocera » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:34 am

I'd pay $100 for a game I loved if that meant no more paid DLC or paid unlockables.
This is actually exactly what's being done now. You can buy a version of the game for more money which includes DLC and unlockables. They're typically called the "Deluxe Edition."

skullman80

Video Games

Postby skullman80 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:34 am

I remember one year i bought madden on Ps2 probably... or the original Xbox where it had a big issue and they actually had to repress the game and send out a whole new replacement disc. It was the year with Ray lewis on the cover. No patches back then.

Miami Vice

Video Games

Postby Miami Vice » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:35 am

When I got back into video games in college it was with MOH and COD. I bought all the expansion packs. Do gamers today look at DLC differently than they did 15 years ago with expansion packs?

DigitalGypsy66

Video Games

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:41 am

When I got back into video games in college it was with MOH and COD. I bought all the expansion packs. Do gamers today look at DLC differently than they did 15 years ago with expansion packs?
Yeah, they want the DLC for free. I'm not sure what changed since the early 2000s. I bought Spearhead and Breakthrough expansion packs for COD, and didn't complain about it. BF1942 had Road to Rome and Secret Weapons expansions which were pretty cool. You could also mix and match mods, expansion packs, and game modes on servers back then. We had a server that played the some of the base maps, Desert Combat maps, Eve of Destruction (Vietnam mod), and Galactic Conquest (Star Wars mod) in rotation.

Silentom

Video Games

Postby Silentom » Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:03 am

I don't mind purchasing DLC's at a sensible cost. I think what pissed everyone off recently is what companies consider to be 'DLC'. IMO, you shouldn;t have to pay for maps or skins. But new stories, or base game expansion? No problem.

skullman80

Video Games

Postby skullman80 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:04 am

I don't mind purchasing DLC's at a sensible cost. I think what pissed everyone off recently is what companies consider to be 'DLC'. IMO, you shouldn;t have to pay for maps or skins. But new stories, or base game expansion? No problem.

This.

Also trying certain stuff to pre-ordering a game. Or having 5 different pre-order bonuses at different retailers. Stupid.

Morkle

Video Games

Postby Morkle » Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:33 am

This is actually exactly what's being done now. You can buy a version of the game for more money which includes DLC and unlockables. They're typically called the "Deluxe Edition."
It doesn't happen for all games, if that was the thing that caused most games to go from $60 to $100, I wouldn't have a hard time justifying that.

That being said, corporations would increase the price and still include DLC.