Video Games

Morkle

Video Games

Postby Morkle » Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:55 am

Yea I saw that. It is truly disheartening what they've done to that series. BF2/3/4 are games I spent literal months on in time, multiple hours a night.

BF2042, you get a round MAYBE out of me before I turn it off.

Viva la Ben

Video Games

Postby Viva la Ben » Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:56 am

I’m still loving Escape from Tarkov. It’s just so incredibly unforgiving. If you can get past the learning curve there is no better FPS.

DigitalGypsy66

Video Games

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:59 am

I've heard good things about Hunt: Showdown as well. My kid tried Tarkov and hated it. Filed a claim with PayPal to get his money refunded lol

dodint

Video Games

Postby dodint » Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:03 am

I'm going to hook up my Sega Genesis this weekend, and if it still works, I'm putting it on eBay. I don't have any interest in playing it, and we're trying to pare down the **** for our impending move this summer. I looked into doing this 4-5 years ago and the average price for a used Genesis was $30-40, but it seems a lot higher now. Like everything else, I guess.

I have one Sega controller and one non-Sega controller, obviously, I'll include those with the Genesis. Should I include the two games I still have (NHL 96 and NBA Live 96)? Or should those be separate sales?
Sell it as a package deal, IMO. Maybe to @NAN

I'm in the same boat as you. I have a pretty extensive vintage gaming collection that I've been hauling around for 20 years telling myself someday I'll have a kick ass media room to put everything up. I got with an architect last year and drew up plans for the house expansion. When we were done I noticed that I didn't include a place for vintage gaming equipment and realized it probably isn't worth keeping this stuff anymore. I need to either sell the stuff I don't need, or just donate it.
Last edited by dodint on Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Viva la Ben

Video Games

Postby Viva la Ben » Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:03 am

One of my twins started playing tarkov and he’s addicted as well. It’s cool to finally have a game we both truly love to play.

Morkle

Video Games

Postby Morkle » Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:06 am

I'd play tarkov more - but I can't find a solid group to really play with, and running it solo is something I'm very not interested in.

NTP66

Video Games

Postby NTP66 » Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:18 am

If I didn't have an XSX, I'd seriously consider offering to buy the Genesis from you. I had one when I was growing up, whereas everyone else I know had Super Nintendo.

Viva la Ben

Video Games

Postby Viva la Ben » Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:24 am

I'd play tarkov more - but I can't find a solid group to really play with, and running it solo is something I'm very not interested in.
It’s really hard to learn the game solo; even with a duo it’s easy to get crossed up. This is a full raid with one of my buds where we killed 5 dudes and nearly each other. Lol

Morkle

Video Games

Postby Morkle » Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:26 am

Yea, I've learned two maps decently well, but I often just scav/rat because I lose engagements constantly.

iamjs
Location: "Hey, who needs hockey? Didn't the Steelers just win the Super Bowl?"

Video Games

Postby iamjs » Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:40 am

I'm going to hook up my Sega Genesis this weekend, and if it still works, I'm putting it on eBay. I don't have any interest in playing it, and we're trying to pare down the **** for our impending move this summer. I looked into doing this 4-5 years ago and the average price for a used Genesis was $30-40, but it seems a lot higher now. Like everything else, I guess.

I have one Sega controller and one non-Sega controller, obviously, I'll include those with the Genesis. Should I include the two games I still have (NHL 96 and NBA Live 96)? Or should those be separate sales?
Sell it as a package deal, IMO. Maybe to @NAN

I'm in the same boat as you. I have a pretty extensive vintage gaming collection that I've been hauling around for 20 years telling myself someday I'll have a kick ass media room to put everything up. I got with an architect last year and drew up plans for the house expansion. When we were done I noticed that I didn't include a place for vintage gaming equipment and realized it probably isn't worth keeping this stuff anymore. I need to either sell the stuff I don't need, or just donate it.
What vintage stuff do you have?

nocera

Video Games

Postby nocera » Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:40 am

If I didn't have an XSX, I'd seriously consider offering to buy the Genesis from you. I had one when I was growing up, whereas everyone else I know had Super Nintendo.
Yeah I have a basically every vintage console and most of the time they collect dust while I play XSX. I can't bring myself to sell though.

DigitalGypsy66

Video Games

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:00 am

I also built a RetroPi a few years ago, and I've used that maybe 2-3 times. I'm just not engaged with those old games. I get bored of them very quickly, especially old platform games. Occasionally, I go on the Switch and play Ice Climber for 30 minutes or so. That's always fun, if not a little humbling these days. :lol:

Morkle

Video Games

Postby Morkle » Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:06 am

Yea I have one too and felt the exact same thing. Played MK3 for like half a day, and it's been in my dresser since.

dodint

Video Games

Postby dodint » Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:06 am

What vintage stuff do you have?
I haven't opened the crates in years and don't have a list handy but from memory...

We'll keep the Atari 7800, NES, an SNES, PS3, and PS4 for sure.

Coleco
-Adam Computer

Magnavox
-Odyssey 300
-Odyssey 2 with a bunch of games.

Nintendo
-NIB Super Nintendo system
-PowerGlove, but I think the sensor bars are gone.

Playstation
-Playstation 2, I think I have one still. Bunch of games in their cases.

RadioShack
-Some 1970s lightgun game, looks like a revolver.
-A Pong clone of some sort.

Sega
-Sega Master System with a handful of games, it's missing a cable I think.
-Sega Game Gear with games, TV adapter, radio adapter.
-Sega Genesis with games, some in boxes but mostly loose
-Sega Saturn with games
-Sega Dreamcast with games, though this breaks my heart to think about.

There's a bunch of other stuff in there I'm sure. I haven't gone through it in about 10 years. The only thing I've actively tried to sell is the Adam.
I used to have all the games listed on IGN but they did away with that feature years ago so I lost it. I will probably sell everything in lots anyway.
Last edited by dodint on Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

NTP66

Video Games

Postby NTP66 » Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:07 am

Oh wow. I had a Coleco Vision when I was a kid, and a few different Atari and Commodores.

skullman80

Video Games

Postby skullman80 » Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:09 am

We've been on a huge retro kick lately. NES, Sega and N64 are all hooked up downstairs. The NES and Sega were my wife's from her childhood. The N64 I picked up locally. Been on the lookout for a used SNES in good condition to round out the collection. I've been buying lots of games recently too. This all started when I bought a 27" CRT.

It's something about the nostalgia of playing on original hardware/cartridges on a CRT tv. It really brings back memories and makes me/us want to play rather than playing it on a NES/SNES/SEGA Mini (though we have those too) on an HDTV.

Just waiting for the beanbag chair to come in the mail and our little "retro" corner will be complete.

skullman80

Video Games

Postby skullman80 » Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:10 am

We played Mario Kart 64 last night for like 2 hours....controls are kind of janky, but damn is it fun with more than one person. I fired up Goldeneye as well...and it looks like crap, but it's still pretty damn fun even if the controls are so weird compared to todays game.

I still think the N64 controller is garbage for the most part, but I've gotten used to it a bit. I was a PS1 guy during that timeframe, so this is really my first real deep dive into N64 stuff outside of playing at friends houses when I was younger.

nocera

Video Games

Postby nocera » Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:12 am

Yeah when I said I had most of the old game consoles, I meant the big names. I definitely don't have an Odyssey or any Pong consoles.

nocera

Video Games

Postby nocera » Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:23 am

We played Mario Kart 64 last night for like 2 hours....controls are kind of janky, but damn is it fun with more than one person. I fired up Goldeneye as well...and it looks like crap, but it's still pretty damn fun even if the controls are so weird compared to todays game.

I still think the N64 controller is garbage for the most part, but I've gotten used to it a bit. I was a PS1 guy during that timeframe, so this is really my first real deep dive into N64 stuff outside of playing at friends houses when I was younger.
Get that power slide down and only the blue shells will stop you. I love the N64 but I also realize that it's in that awkward era between truly great 3D and the end of 2D. Mario Kart is a great example. 3D world with 2D character sprites. It's weird but I love it.

the wicked child

Video Games

Postby the wicked child » Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:05 pm

I go in cycles with older stuff. Getting hooked on randomizers though is a bit different since you are playing the same game, but not exactly. You have to really like the games of course to do that.

The best part of the Metroid Prime 2 randomizer is that I can effectively patch out all the part of the game that annoyed me through settings.

DigitalGypsy66

Video Games

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Fri Jan 14, 2022 1:39 pm

I think my parents still have the family Apple IIgs. That was a great gaming rig. For its time.

iamjs
Location: "Hey, who needs hockey? Didn't the Steelers just win the Super Bowl?"

Video Games

Postby iamjs » Fri Jan 14, 2022 2:00 pm

I'm trying to remember what I have overall:

Atari 2600 with about 80 games. If you include duplicates, it's probably closer to 100-110. I'm supposed to meet up with a friend that I went to grade school with who is trying to start his collection again, so I was gonna hand off a bunch of those duplicates. But even after getting rid of some of those, I still have two or three copies of some games. My mom also found my original Atari when she was cleaning out boxes when she was moving a few months ago, so I now have two. Some reason I had the box of games, but the console itself was separated from the games.

Sega Genesis with only Sonic. It and NHL94 are the only two games that was I was interested in on the Genesis.

PS2, PS3, and PS4.

GameCube that I picked up in a trade. No controllers, plugs, or games. Literally just the Cube that continues to gather dust.

I have one of the old Pong/Soccer games with the slider controllers buried in a tote somewhere. Another case of "you collect old games. You want this?" I want to say it's a Sears Telegames or a Radio Shack. Based on this pic (http://i.imgur.com/FdR9hOJ.jpg?1), I think it's a Radio Shack. But I don't remember the console being this big. If I get any type of motivation this weekend, maybe I'll try to find it.

Not sure if these are worth counting, but I have an old Atari Flashback that I keep in the home office and a bootleg NES loaded with about 500 games. Half of those games either don't work, don't play properly, or at the very minimum the sound is wrong. But for a $20 purchase, I'm not gonna complain much.

PS4 is hooked to the 75 inch in the living room.
PS2, PS3, and... ****, I'm forgetting a system, are on the 55 inch in the game room, and the Atari and Sega are hooked to a 27 inch flat CRT.

Then there is the list of emulator and arcade cabs that I have that still need reworked:
(I'm gonna spoiler this one since I'm kinda straying off topic since it's more console emulation vs real consoles.)
Galaga cabinet: first cabinet that I built, and there are so many things that I did wrong on it.
Control panel is backwards, which would mean I need to redo the graphics since I had the graphics built to that specific button layout. Joystick needs replaced since I bought a very cheap stick and wore out after about 2 years. Menu buttons on the side of the cab either need to match the fire button (red) or the cabinet (black). I have orange ones on it since those buttons were the only spares that I had left and it doesn't look right. That's not even getting into the terrible image that I used and the config menu that need reworked. As much as I want a Galaga themed cabinet since it was my favorite game growing up, I would rather build a new one than try to repair the one that I have now. At one point I'll probably list it on Craigslist for parts or a project or give it to a friend who has been wanting to get into building.

Donkey Kong cabinet: Since it's a one button setup, I'm gonna scale it down to a 60-in-1 and dump the desktop that's powering it since it's overkill. Control panel also needs rebuilt and repainted. Sloppy inexperienced build on my part, but now I have a better plan of attack on how to rebuild it. I'll probably tackle this one first.

720 mini cabinet: This was built out of an old Arcade1Up Space Invaders cabinet. It's dead in the water since I can't find a compatible USB spinner. I found a spinner, only to find out that it wouldn't work with emulated software. I may just try to get it working and have it power up to Attract Mode.

There's also the Turbo arcade game that probably needs the voltage regulator reworked. That's gonna need a tech and some $$. I also can't forget the Pengo/Birdie King cabinet that is stripped and is hanging out in the garage. That project is officially abandoned since I don't have room for a full size cab in my gameroom. Tbh, I wouldn't mind getting rid of the cabinet and getting the garage space back.

dodint

Video Games

Postby dodint » Fri Jan 14, 2022 2:06 pm

That image jogged my memory, one of my RadioShack games is a 'RadioShack TV Scoreboard' but is much smaller than that unit.

This is it:

MR25

Video Games

Postby MR25 » Fri Jan 14, 2022 2:25 pm

Trying to think of what is currently at my parents' house...

NES
Sega Genesis (back-story: 2/3 year old me said I wanted Sega as a reward for completing potty training, and when my parents agreed to the terms, I had a perfect record... I wish I had that same negotiating confidence now lol)
PS1
Gameboy Color
PS2
Xbox
Gameboy Advance
GameCube
Wii
Xbox 360
Xbox One
Xbox Series X

willeyeam

Video Games

Postby willeyeam » Fri Jan 14, 2022 2:29 pm

I wish I kept all mine. Think they all went out in garage sales. I've had:

NES
Sega Genesis
N64
Playstation
PS2
Xbone
XSX

Think I had a newer version of PlayStation and/or PS2 as well. Like a series S or something. I don't have any desire to play any of the old Xbox or PS consoles but the Nintendo and Sega have a nostalgia factor