Video Games

Shyster

Video Games

Postby Shyster » Wed Aug 31, 2022 9:12 pm

While I like music, stuff like music theory and major and minor keys chord progression and stuff like that totally escapes me. I've tried to understand, but my brain does not seem capable of wrapping around the topic. I don't have any significant artistic ability, either.

MR25

Video Games

Postby MR25 » Wed Aug 31, 2022 9:21 pm

It's a lot easier to understand if you've ever played an instrument, but that's still a fairly niche population

tifosi77

Video Games

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Aug 31, 2022 10:42 pm

Every single one of them since they've been 5 or 6 can pick up an instrument around the house and play something that they heard seconds before. My brain does not work like that.
The first and only time I've ever played a cello I played the tapping part of "Eruption". \m/

dodint

Video Games

Postby dodint » Wed Aug 31, 2022 10:59 pm

Cool video. Luckily about 1/3rd of the way in he stopped saying 'swing' so I didn't have to hunt him down and break his fingers.

NAN

Video Games

Postby NAN » Thu Sep 01, 2022 3:03 pm

@NAN

I don't know how much (if any) music theory you know, but this is one of my favorite YouTube channels and today he posted this breakdown of the music of Super Mario Bros. I thought you might get a kick out of it.

Just watched this. I have no idea what the hell he is saying when he gets into the technical part of the music, but I really enjoyed around the ten minute mark where he starts talking about the simplicity of each song, and how if you speed up the end level sound, it's the Mario growing sound, and things like that.

Thanks for posting! I would love to watch something like that with the original Zelda.

tifosi77

Video Games

Postby tifosi77 » Thu Sep 01, 2022 3:45 pm

While I like music, stuff like music theory and major and minor keys chord progression and stuff like that totally escapes me. I've tried to understand, but my brain does not seem capable of wrapping around the topic. I don't have any significant artistic ability, either.
It's just shorthand. It isn't necessary at all to either play music or to enjoy it and (intrinsically) understand what you're hearing. It's just a way to express a thought quickly to other musicians.

You don't need to know that the theme to The Batman, the Nirvana song Something In The Way, The Imperial March from Star Wars, and the main riff to Crazy Train all trade on the harmonic character of the flat-vi degree of the minor scale. But you know in your head what they all sound like without thinking about it, and that the connotation of the music is 'dark' or 'ominous'. And, honestly, that's really all that matters. That the idea comes across in the music, not from some dweeb on the internet.

tifosi77

Video Games

Postby tifosi77 » Thu Sep 01, 2022 3:48 pm

There's a whole YT channel called 8-Bit Gaming that has a series on the music theory of video games if you really want to rabbit hole yourself. lol

genoscoif

Video Games

Postby genoscoif » Sun Sep 04, 2022 12:42 pm

Ordered a switch (OLED version) from Target. Selected to pick up in my local store. Also ordered a micro SDxc card and BoTW. All 3 showing in stock and available for pickup ordering. Order placed and confirmed. Email 1 hour later that none of the 3 items were available for pickup in the selected store. WTF? I can understand maybe one of the items, but all 3?

We're headed out in a bit anyway, so I'll pick one up somewhere, but that is super annoying.

Anyway, besides BoTW, I'll probably pick up monster hunter rise for me and super mario odyssey (which my wife will like). Any other suggestions for chillin games? Stardew valley or animal crossing?

NAN

Video Games

Postby NAN » Sun Sep 04, 2022 1:24 pm

Ordered a switch (OLED version) from Target. Selected to pick up in my local store. Also ordered a micro SDxc card and BoTW. All 3 showing in stock and available for pickup ordering. Order placed and confirmed. Email 1 hour later that none of the 3 items were available for pickup in the selected store. WTF? I can understand maybe one of the items, but all 3?

We're headed out in a bit anyway, so I'll pick one up somewhere, but that is super annoying.

Anyway, besides BoTW, I'll probably pick up monster hunter rise for me and super mario odyssey (which my wife will like). Any other suggestions for chillin games? Stardew valley or animal crossing?
Animal crossing is a good chill game. Just go at your own pace and build your island.

skullman80

Video Games

Postby skullman80 » Sun Sep 04, 2022 2:19 pm

there's a new retro video game store that opened in Monroeville this weekend, or technically he reopened since he was open in another location prior to COVID.
I picked up a few games that I probably didn't need.
https://retrogradecollectibles.com/

Buck Rogers for the 2600 definite did not port well. I think I played it for about 2 minutes and added it to the pile, where it will probably stay unless I need to move it to get to another cartridge.
Kung Fu Master at least kept me occupied, but it reminded me of another game that Activision made. I'm drawing a blank on its name. For some reason, I thought I was getting Karate Champ, which doesn't make much sense considering Champ was a two stick game. Nonetheless, it wasn't bad.
Activision Decathlon? Either I remember this game being better than what it was, or it's also possible that my old hands aren't meant to run six minute events with a 2600 stick. I'm thinking maybe a bit of both are possible.

Also picked up 720 for the NES and GTAV for the PS4. I never knew they made 720 for the NES, and I figured I might as well play through GTAV again on a different system while I wait for GTA6 to happen.
Went to Retrograde today @iamjs . Cool little place. They are still unpacking but it's nice to not have all the games out to look through rather than locked away. Chatted with the owner for like 10 minutes...super cool guy.

Picked up some NES/SNES/Genesis games. They were nice enough to give me 5$ off since I bought Luke 6 games, but their prices are way better than the exchange....at least currently. Will definitely be going back. Smaller selection obviously but will grow as they keep unpacking.

eddy

Video Games

Postby eddy » Fri Sep 09, 2022 9:35 am

Anyone preorder digital games through best buy? Splatoon 3 comes out today and I figured they would have emailed a code by now. How long does that **** take?

skullman80

Video Games

Postby skullman80 » Fri Sep 09, 2022 9:36 am

Anyone preorder digital games through best buy? Splatoon 3 comes out today and I figured they would have emailed a code by now. How long does that **** take?
You check your spam folder just in case it ended up there?

nocera

Video Games

Postby nocera » Fri Sep 09, 2022 9:39 am

Do you get unlockables with that? Trying to figure out the need to preorder a digital game.

eddy

Video Games

Postby eddy » Fri Sep 09, 2022 9:56 am

Do you get unlockables with that? Trying to figure out the need to preorder a digital game.
Got some swag with the preorder. Kids are big Splatoon fans and thought digital would come faster than the physical copy. They lose the physical games all the time too

eddy

Video Games

Postby eddy » Fri Sep 09, 2022 9:57 am

No luck in spam either

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Video Games

Postby count2infinity » Fri Sep 09, 2022 9:58 am

Fired up Far Cry 5 again... I forgot how fun the game is. I think it's one of my favorites.

nocera

Video Games

Postby nocera » Fri Sep 09, 2022 10:00 am

Got some swag with the preorder. Kids are big Splatoon fans and thought digital would come faster than the physical copy. They lose the physical games all the time too
:thumb: I remember preordering physical games and going to midnight releases at GameStop. I’m glad that time is over.

DigitalGypsy66

Video Games

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Fri Sep 09, 2022 10:03 am

It was a neverending battle with my kids for YEARS with lost 3DS games. Then the Switch comes along and makes the games even smaller lol. We don't use the Switch much, but the handful of games we do have are digital now. Less muss, less fuss.

NAN

Video Games

Postby NAN » Fri Sep 09, 2022 10:12 am

I still enjoy the physical games, mainly due to the game collection. On top of that, in the future when those systems lose support, a lot of people lose the games themselves. I know there are updates, etc that will be lost with the physical game, but at least you can still play it. But that is mainly for people like me that like to go back and play the old games.

Although if Nintendo keeps up with the old school games on the Nintendo, Super NES, etc for future consols, at least we'll be able to continue to play the popular Nintendo games.

nocera

Video Games

Postby nocera » Fri Sep 09, 2022 10:15 am

I like not having to swap discs. Besides, physical xbox games are basically just a license to the game. You still have to download the full game to play it.

dodint

Video Games

Postby dodint » Fri Sep 09, 2022 10:17 am

I was looking through the PS store last night and was pretty excited to see Echochrome. For the five of us that owned a Playstation Portable that should bring back memories.

Viva la Ben

Video Games

Postby Viva la Ben » Fri Sep 09, 2022 10:21 am

Shenmue, NFL2K1, Skies of Arcadia, and Metropolis Street Racing. All great games for their time.

eddy

Video Games

Postby eddy » Fri Sep 09, 2022 10:25 am

Man did I love Dreamcast. Sole reason I flunked college and had to be put on academic probation for a semester. Little did they know it worked out in my favor because I bought half season pens season tix and had one of the greatest few months of my life.

nocera

Video Games

Postby nocera » Fri Sep 09, 2022 10:33 am

Dreamcast was amazing and so easy to download and burn games for it. Wait maybe that’s why it failed. Am I to blame?

eddy

Video Games

Postby eddy » Fri Sep 09, 2022 11:10 am

Had to cancel best buy digital order and I'll never use them again for that. After an hour on chat and phone, nobody could figure out why the email with the code didn't come. Absolutely worthless. Downloaded it through Nintendo in about 8 seconds.