Video Games

Spangler
Location: Spangler the t-shirt; Spangler the lunchbox; Spangler the flamethrower!

Video Games

Postby Spangler » Fri Jul 03, 2020 4:13 pm

The epilogue to UC4 is the most satisfying resolution to a video game..... maybe any story..... I've ever enjoyed. It is sheer perfection, and it's one of those things I wish I could experience for the first time again.

On a related note, the Retro Replay YT channel is doing a special series of TLOU 'speedruns' with a gamer called Anthony Caliber. They are live right now (as of 1 pm PDT) and just switched over to TLOU2, so I shut 'er down. But earlier, I watched him beat the David coop fight in 90 seconds, and he straight up just ran past all the Infected in the SLC tunnel level. On Grounded difficulty. I'm actually thinking of restarting my TLOU playthrough and trying his moves.
I was able to S rank Resident Evil 2 Remake with Leon by studying speedrunner strats. I was never able to S Rank a RE game until then.

tifosi77

Video Games

Postby tifosi77 » Fri Jul 03, 2020 4:16 pm

Seriously. He loaded the SLC tunnel, fired his one revolver round in his inventory, started running, threw a smoke bomb at the Bloaters, and after like 20 seconds, he was boosting Ellie up to the top of the tractor-trailer and ending the encounter.

How......... do...... you...... figure that........ out..........

eddy

Video Games

Postby eddy » Sun Jul 05, 2020 4:31 pm

PFiDC

Video Games

Postby PFiDC » Sun Jul 05, 2020 4:32 pm

:shock:

DigitalGypsy66

Video Games

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Sun Jul 05, 2020 9:59 pm

How do they make it look like it’s inside of a Mario video game? That’s nuts...lighting? Paint? Unreal!

iamjs
Location: "Hey, who needs hockey? Didn't the Steelers just win the Super Bowl?"

Video Games

Postby iamjs » Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:10 pm

eddy

Video Games

Postby eddy » Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:18 pm

Comes out next week

Kane

Video Games

Postby Kane » Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:29 pm

**** just make another *** Paper Mario like **** Thousand Year Door, why is that so **** hard to **** do.

Morkle

Video Games

Postby Morkle » Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:33 pm

Looks like next gen games are going to go to that $69.99 price tag most likely. Seems like a garbage price point, if they're going to bury the game in microtransactions and release half of it at launch.

NBA2k series taking major heat because they've announced the price increase because of the improved experience.

Spangler
Location: Spangler the t-shirt; Spangler the lunchbox; Spangler the flamethrower!

Video Games

Postby Spangler » Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:49 pm

Yeah, these companies are making more money off their games than ever due to their microtransaction. I thought having standard/deluxe editions was supposed to be a way to increase the price of games without changing the $60 price tag completely.

Considering we are still fresh into the pandemic with a possible threat of it returning stronger, it's not great time to see an increase in price. This seems like the industry inching it's way further to see what they can get away with for sales.

nocera

Video Games

Postby nocera » Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:50 pm

I remember N64 games being $79.99 at launch. They went down in price later due to how cheap PS1 games were but damn it took a lot of convincing to get my folks to buy me a game.

eddy

Video Games

Postby eddy » Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:56 pm

**** just make another *** Paper Mario like **** Thousand Year Door, why is that so **** hard to **** do.
Ha, this looks a little different at least. I pre-ordered it.

NTP66

Video Games

Postby NTP66 » Tue Jul 07, 2020 6:57 pm

The new Halo game trailer looks awesome. I have no idea what the backstory of Halo is, but I’ll probably buy this one.

MR25

Video Games

Postby MR25 » Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:33 pm

You could buy the Master Chief Collection and play through all of them, if you were interested in learning the story.

NTP66

Video Games

Postby NTP66 » Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:36 pm

You could buy the Master Chief Collection and play through all of them, if you were interested in learning the story.
That would probably take me decades to complete, given how infrequently I play.

eddy

Video Games

Postby eddy » Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:00 am

Need more than 3 games every few months, come on Nintendo, it can't be that hard.

NAN

Video Games

Postby NAN » Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:40 am

Need more than 3 games every few months, come on Nintendo, it can't be that hard.
Yeah, when the channel first started, they had a decent release number/timing. Now it's just a trickle.

I know there are some right issues, and legal crap that needs to work through for some of these games owned by third parties, and some could get expensive, but Nintendo owns a lot as well.

meecrofilm

Video Games

Postby meecrofilm » Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:10 am

I'm almost done with a quarantine re-playthrough of that. Not going to bother with getting all the recipes, but am planning on getting every badge (and hoping I'm on track for getting every tattle).

tifosi77

Video Games

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Jul 08, 2020 4:33 pm

AAA games broached the $39 wholesale point with the advent of the PS3/360 generation of games, roughly 15 years ago. So accounting for inflation, a $70 retail price in 2020 is actually 'cheaper' than $60 was in 2005. Conversely, look at how much the cost of a movie ticket has gone up.... how much a Netflix subscription has gone up..... how much a gallon of gas has gone up.....

When you consider the nature of a game like the Horizon Zero Dawn sequel, you're getting 20+ hours (at least) of content if you simply finish the campaign, never mind all the side hustle type stuff. $70 is pretty good value for money imo, even with zero replay.

Dickie Dunn

Video Games

Postby Dickie Dunn » Wed Jul 08, 2020 5:13 pm

At $70 it would take a new, not shitty, Mass Effect game or GTA Whatever for me to buy anything at launch.

nocera

Video Games

Postby nocera » Wed Jul 08, 2020 6:20 pm

Yeah I have no problem paying $70 for a full finished game without any pay to win transactions (I don’t mind the cosmetic stuff).

tifosi77

Video Games

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:53 pm

Thinking about it, I think the only game I've ever done a micro-transaction was Ghost Recon: Wildlands. There was a weapon pack that had a sweet Daniel Defense Mk-18 carbine on which I splurged. (phrasing)

Kane

Video Games

Postby Kane » Thu Jul 09, 2020 7:57 am

I'm almost done with a quarantine re-playthrough of that. Not going to bother with getting all the recipes, but am planning on getting every badge (and hoping I'm on track for getting every tattle).
Oof. Good luck on getting the Return Postage badge. I've yet to manage that.

meecrofilm

Video Games

Postby meecrofilm » Thu Jul 09, 2020 3:37 pm

Finally did it last night! For no particular reason other than it was how I wanted to do the playthrough, I prioritized upgrading BP (taking a Health-->BP-->FP-->BP--> then rinse/repeat approach to upgrading), which ended up paying huge dividends down the line. I was able to wear both Power Plus badges, plus two P-Up, D-Down badges (and offset those with Defend Plus or Damage Dodge), plus the Jumpman badge (and Spike Shield / Ice Power to offset that), turning Mario into an offensive force of nature.

Then I still had enough left over to equip Multi/Power bounce and a Flower Saver (and Finder, or Heart Finder, whichever was more needed) and the super important Quick Change. So I didn't really need to dip into my restorative items until around level 80. And when Amazee Dayzees started showing up in the 90s, I could just Power Bounce one, switch to Goombella and do rally wink so I could just Power Bounce the other, and then bam, boatloads of XP and leveling up during the final stages.

I just checked my old save file for fun, and I did not do as well with tattles and badges (had Return Postage, but didn't have a tattle on Bonetail, for instance), the former of which was probably tied to only having 36 BP, which means I had even less before going into the Pit. This time around I think I was in high 40s (maybe even low 50s) before I took it on.

Kane

Video Games

Postby Kane » Thu Jul 09, 2020 7:21 pm

Finally did it last night! For no particular reason other than it was how I wanted to do the playthrough, I prioritized upgrading BP (taking a Health-->BP-->FP-->BP--> then rinse/repeat approach to upgrading), which ended up paying huge dividends down the line. I was able to wear both Power Plus badges, plus two P-Up, D-Down badges (and offset those with Defend Plus or Damage Dodge), plus the Jumpman badge (and Spike Shield / Ice Power to offset that), turning Mario into an offensive force of nature.

Then I still had enough left over to equip Multi/Power bounce and a Flower Saver (and Finder, or Heart Finder, whichever was more needed) and the super important Quick Change. So I didn't really need to dip into my restorative items until around level 80. And when Amazee Dayzees started showing up in the 90s, I could just Power Bounce one, switch to Goombella and do rally wink so I could just Power Bounce the other, and then bam, boatloads of XP and leveling up during the final stages.

I just checked my old save file for fun, and I did not do as well with tattles and badges (had Return Postage, but didn't have a tattle on Bonetail, for instance), the former of which was probably tied to only having 36 BP, which means I had even less before going into the Pit. This time around I think I was in high 40s (maybe even low 50s) before I took it on.
Impressive work! BP runs are so much fun - really does let you pack a punch. Always love the Fire Drive badge, too.