Video Games

skullman80

Video Games

Postby skullman80 » Wed Feb 01, 2023 1:20 pm

Yeah I picked up a few Nintendo Powers from Warp Zone in Greensburg a few weeks back (Great retro place if you are out that way, but only open Fri/Saturday). Flipping through those was like I was a little kid again. Good times.

Morkle

Video Games

Postby Morkle » Wed Feb 01, 2023 1:28 pm

Yea, that feeling of remembering back and being amazed at the games and graphics. This may be a boomer take - but game developers, major publishers anyways don't take the risks they used to take, and indie developers need a whole bunch to break their way to get a game noticed.

Looking through those magazines made me miss that aspect, that anyone and everyone could create a game and it could be a hit.

DigitalGypsy66

Video Games

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Wed Feb 01, 2023 1:50 pm

I remember renting and then eventually buying Conflict! for the NES. It was a top down, RPG set in the Cold War. I can't imagine a game like that being made for the Switch, and it would get lost on Steam.

Shyster

Video Games

Postby Shyster » Wed Feb 01, 2023 7:02 pm

IMO the best classic "spy" games were The Operative: No One Lives Forever (aka NOLF) and the sequel No One Lives Forever 2: A Spy in H.A.R.M.'s Way. Great job capturing the more campy feel of the 60s bond movies (space stations, volcano lairs, etc.), plus the random conversations you could overhear were hilarious, such as:

I'd love a remake or sequel, but I understand it's one of those deals where after a bunch of company mergers and sales, no one can figure out who exactly owns the IP for the game.

eddy

Video Games

Postby eddy » Thu Feb 02, 2023 6:34 am

Get **** Trevelyan, I'm back baby

shafnutz05

Video Games

Postby shafnutz05 » Thu Feb 02, 2023 7:34 am

Well done sir!

NAN

Video Games

Postby NAN » Thu Feb 02, 2023 7:42 am

Good job eddy!

Now go through and unlock all the cheats!

skullman80

Video Games

Postby skullman80 » Thu Feb 02, 2023 8:56 am

Picked up the Jurassic Park OST Vinyl last night...also a pretty cool package. (spoiler'd below in case of size)
Highly recommend checking out Retrograde Collectibles if you are in the Monroeville area. They have expanded their hours a bit and are now open Wed/Thurs/Fri-- 5-10, Sat -- 12-10 and Sunday -- 12-5. Alex and crew are some of the nicest most genuine people you will meet. I found out chatting with them yesterday that they also help run/are part of the PGX (Pittsburgh Gaming Expo) show that is here every year.

https://www.facebook.com/retrogradecollectibles/

Kane

Video Games

Postby Kane » Thu Feb 02, 2023 8:59 am

Good job eddy!

I remember that being a tall order. Same with Perfect Dark. I think I managed it in Goldeneye, but never made it past the Area 52 missions on Perfect Agent in Dark.

eddy

Video Games

Postby eddy » Thu Feb 02, 2023 9:11 am

Picked up the Jurassic Park OST Vinyl last night...also a pretty cool package. (spoiler'd below in case of size)
Highly recommend checking out Retrograde Collectibles if you are in the Monroeville area. They have expanded their hours a bit and are now open Wed/Thurs/Fri-- 5-10, Sat -- 12-10 and Sunday -- 12-5. Alex and crew are some of the nicest most genuine people you will meet. I found out chatting with them yesterday that they also help run/are part of the PGX (Pittsburgh Gaming Expo) show that is here every year.

That is awesome, I just finished the book last night. How much did that cost of you don't mind me asking?

NTP66

Video Games

Postby NTP66 » Thu Feb 02, 2023 9:12 am

Source of the post I just finished the book last night.
The books are outstanding.

skullman80

Video Games

Postby skullman80 » Thu Feb 02, 2023 9:15 am

That is awesome, I just finished the book last night. How much did that cost of you don't mind me asking?
He was pricing them at $49.99..he only had a few (just like the Sonic one I posted earlier in the week). I get a bit of a discount since I buy lots of stuff, but the sticker on it was $49.99.

eddy

Video Games

Postby eddy » Thu Feb 02, 2023 9:16 am

Source of the post I just finished the book last night.
The books are outstanding.
Never read lost world, so I wanted to revisit JP and man, that brought back some good memories of sitting on a beach when I was 10 just devouring it

eddy

Video Games

Postby eddy » Thu Feb 02, 2023 9:17 am

He was pricing them at $49.99..he only had a few (just like the Sonic one I posted earlier in the week). I get a bit of a discount since I buy lots of stuff, but the sticker on it was $49.99.
Thanks, I'm definitely gonna check this place out

skullman80

Video Games

Postby skullman80 » Thu Feb 02, 2023 9:24 am

Thanks, I'm definitely gonna check this place out
They are still getting back on their feet after covid, but I can't stress how nice and genuine they are with what they sell and how they handle things in general. Even if you don't buy anything just going in there to shoot the **** is a good time. Just really great people and a small business that deserves support IMO.

NAN

Video Games

Postby NAN » Thu Feb 02, 2023 9:29 am

Good job eddy!

I remember that being a tall order. Same with Perfect Dark. I think I managed it in Goldeneye, but never made it past the Area 52 missions on Perfect Agent in Dark.
The only one I couldnt' get was the second level, inside the dam. It was almost impossible. I unlocked every other cheat. Some were really, really difficult. Like you said, a tall order.

nocera

Video Games

Postby nocera » Thu Feb 02, 2023 9:30 am

I'm starting to get the feeling that skull is an investor in this Retrograde Collectibles...

skullman80

Video Games

Postby skullman80 » Thu Feb 02, 2023 9:33 am

I'm starting to get the feeling that skull is an investor in this Retrograde Collectibles...
Haha I am not. I spend lots of money there no doubt, but I have no actual skin in the game. Just happy to have a local retro place thats not the Exchange.

Plus they are genuinely nice people that run the place.

NAN

Video Games

Postby NAN » Thu Feb 02, 2023 9:35 am

Haha I am not. I spend lots of money there no doubt, but I have no actual skin in the game. Just happy to have a local retro place thats not the Exchange.

I'll admit, I'm jealous. I'd love to have a local retro place near me. I only have the Exchange.

nocera

Video Games

Postby nocera » Thu Feb 02, 2023 9:41 am

:fist: I need to check it out. I've been slacking on my retro gaming lately. And yes, **** the Exchange.

skullman80

Video Games

Postby skullman80 » Thu Feb 02, 2023 9:50 am

:fist: I need to check it out. I've been slacking on my retro gaming lately. And yes, **** the Exchange.
Just so I'm not only shilling Retrograde, Warp Zone in Greensburg is also another great local retro/smaller shop. Bit more of a drive for me, but the few times I've been there they also have great stuff/fair pricing and also run by very nice people.

Kane

Video Games

Postby Kane » Sat Feb 04, 2023 7:08 am

So I've been on the lookout for an Xbox Series X. Walmart is selling 2021 versions at $400. Any downside to buying one a couple years old?

NTP66

Video Games

Postby NTP66 » Sat Feb 04, 2023 7:09 am

So I've been on the lookout for an Xbox Series X. Walmart is selling 2021 versions at $400. Any downside to buying one a couple years old?
Nope. Do it, do it now. And if you play any FPS games, invest in an Elite Series 2 controller and get the warranty through MS.

Kane

Video Games

Postby Kane » Sat Feb 04, 2023 7:12 am

Nevermind, lol. The 3rd party seller tacks on $179 for shipping and there's no alternate option to choose.

Kane

Video Games

Postby Kane » Sat Feb 04, 2023 7:13 am

Amazon has a Forza Horizon bundle for $559. Probably going to buy that.