Video Games

Morkle

Video Games

Postby Morkle » Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:37 pm

I've pretty much jumped on the Apex Legends train. I'll give the BF BR a try, but they've bastardized BF for me so much, I wouldn't last long anyways.
whats your usual load out? ive been pretty actively searching out 301, spitfire and flatline lately. fond of the medic legend as of late as well
I use Octane/Mirage

I'm a big fan of...
301/r99
hemlok AR/Spitfire

Either of those fully kitted, melts faces.

LITT
Location: Those who don't listen will eventually be surrounded by people with nothing to say

Video Games

Postby LITT » Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:42 pm

ive really fallen out of love with the hemlock

DigitalGypsy66

Video Games

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 3:02 pm

Played a few rounds of Firestorm last night. First round, I jumped in the middle of a squad that landed on some guns and crates; I died instantly.

The second round I was in a decent squad and managed to get a helicopter, but got disconnected from EA Online.

The third round, I made it to the top 3 squads.

As others have noticed, the looting system is garbage. Gear poops out near a corpse and blends in with the geometry, or gets stacked on top of stuff and is hard to pick up stuff. Especially if you loot two dead bodies. Criterion/DICE are already working on a new looting system. Inventory is wonky as well.

It sucks playing squads as a solo player, as few people use mics (on PC) usually, but you do end up with good teams once in a while.

I don't think the game will lure Fortnite or Apex players, but it might draw some PUBG players away. I'll probably stick with the core modes, and dabble in Firestorm, especially as they make improvements.

BFV is (and has) been on sale for $30, and I think it's worth picking up for that price for the full game.

tifosi77

Video Games

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 3:10 pm

For the first time since ever, I feel like I'm being left behind by a generation of games and gamers. The sweetspot for core gamers has been mid-30s to mid-40s for a long a time, and I will officially be 'late-40s' in less than two weeks. The games that everyone here is talking about exert absolutely zero hold on my interest. They aren't fundamentally that much different than games I play and enjoy - there are only so many variations on 'run around map and shoot bad guys in the face or nutsack'. But I just don't see myself ever playing games like Fortnite or PUBG. Or even just regular BG for that matter.

I think I'll fire up Uncharted again.

slappybrown

Video Games

Postby slappybrown » Tue Mar 26, 2019 3:12 pm

The sweetspot for core gamers has been mid-30s to mid-40s for a long a time
wat

DigitalGypsy66

Video Games

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 3:12 pm

Dude, you're like six months older than me - no way are you "late 40s." :lol:

That being said, I have no idea why I still main Battlefield games. I really don't play anything else, other than dabble in Switch games and the very occasional game of Rocket League. But I hear you - most of the rest of these newer games don't hold my interest.

tifosi77

Video Games

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 3:19 pm

wat
The average age of a male gamer is 35, and the average age of a female gamer is 44.

slappybrown

Video Games

Postby slappybrown » Tue Mar 26, 2019 3:22 pm

wat
The average age of a male gamer is 35, and the average age of a female gamer is 44.
I don't think that average age derived from "have you gamed in the last 12 months responses" means its the "sweetspot." What have those studies shown about time per month or year or whatever spent gaming? The marketing around video games for AAA games is pretty plainly marketed to teens and folks in their 20s imo. Who is gaming more in their 30s and 40s compared to their teens and 20s?

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Video Games

Postby count2infinity » Tue Mar 26, 2019 3:24 pm

But do those teens and 20s have mothers that are great cooks and therefor no longer have any restaurants in their life?

slappybrown

Video Games

Postby slappybrown » Tue Mar 26, 2019 3:36 pm

whoa I forgot all about that insane take, along with meatballs in Italy are all golf ball sized or smaller (??????????????????????????????)

I hereby christen tif the weird take boy

tifosi77

Video Games

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 3:38 pm

The ESA does an annual survey of around 4,000 households in the US. Those numbers have been fairly consistent for over a decade.

I just checked and they have published the 2018 report. The average age of a male gamer is 32, but the average age of a female gamer has dropped to 36. As a percentage, adult females represent double the gaming population of teenage boys. A little under half of the top-twenty selling games are rated M, meaning they can't be marketed to people under 17; there are a similar number of E or E10+ titles that are sports or sports-ish games (FIFA, Mario Kart, etc) that have appeal across a broad age spectrum.

The report doesn't highlight single-player, but the average weekly time in-game for multi-players is 7 hours online and 6 hours with someone else in person.

tifosi77

Video Games

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 3:39 pm

whoa I forgot all about that insane take, along with meatballs in Italy are all golf ball sized or smaller (??????????????????????????????)

I hereby christen tif the weird take boy
You need to learn more about your culture's culinary history. ;)

Morkle

Video Games

Postby Morkle » Tue Mar 26, 2019 3:45 pm

I'd kill to be able to game as much as I was able to 2 years ago.

I'd give a ton to go back to when hork was good and the clique incessantly talked **** to each other.

I don't see at all how the sweetspot is over 30 for both genders. I very much feel I'm past the marketing mark when it comes to video games.

MR25

Video Games

Postby MR25 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 3:53 pm

4,000 households
Surely a representative sample in a country of almost 400 mil people

shafnutz05

Video Games

Postby shafnutz05 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:31 pm

I badly wanted Red Dead Redemption 2. I have it now.

Do you know what I play every night when my daughter goes to bed lately? Super Nintendo. I'm playing through DKC3 now. I have suddenly found myself pulled towards the games that don't require as long of an attention span/time commitment. I find that after an hour of RDR2 I get restless and want to go do something else. I'm someone that spent countless hours playing Skyrim.

It's weird to see my tastes change like this.

dodint

Video Games

Postby dodint » Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:47 pm

That's why I have so much time into Rocket League. It's 5 minutes at a time so I can make the session as short or long as I want.

Lemon Berry Lobster

Video Games

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Tue Mar 26, 2019 6:03 pm

RL is tight, until you play ranked and your random teammates ball chase instead of rotate...

Shyster

Video Games

Postby Shyster » Tue Mar 26, 2019 6:50 pm

I've disliked multiplayer games for many years. I think the last online multiplayer game I regularly played was Team Fortress Classic back in law school and college. I was even briefly in a TFC gaming clan. That ended nearly 20 years ago.

These days I play video games to avoid interacting with other human beings. Playing a multiplayer game with random internet jagoffs defeats the purpose.

shafnutz05

Video Games

Postby shafnutz05 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 7:36 pm

It is incredible how much better the graphics quality is playing Project 64 on my emulator on my gaming PC vs playing N64 with a converter on my smallish HDTV. Ocarina of Time was borderline unplayable on the TV, but looks as beautiful as I remember on my desktop.

HIGHLY recommend this convenient 5 USB controller package. They feel just like the original and install with just a plug in.

Vilros Retro Gaming 5 USB Classic...
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07GRCDG8J?re ... b_ap_share

iamjs
Location: "Hey, who needs hockey? Didn't the Steelers just win the Super Bowl?"

Video Games

Postby iamjs » Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:44 pm

Do you know what I play every night when my daughter goes to bed lately? Super Nintendo. I'm playing through DKC3 now. I have suddenly found myself pulled towards the games that don't require as long of an attention span/time commitment. I find that after an hour of RDR2 I get restless and want to go do something else. I'm someone that spent countless hours playing Skyrim.

That's my feeling with the game. I'm glad they created a game with 64* sq mi of area to explore. I just don't want to ride a ****ing horse for 10 minutes to get to my next mission. My RDR2 time has gone ice cold since Christmas, save for maybe 2-3 hours spread over a few sessions.

* - that's a random number. I have no idea what the actual number is, but I thought I read it was more than 50 but less than 100.

eddy

Video Games

Postby eddy » Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:42 am

free nintendo online for a year, if you already have it, you can extend it

https://twitch.amazon.com/prime/loot/ni ... CM_NSO_EXT

DigitalGypsy66

Video Games

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:42 am

Except if you have a family membership... :roll:

Stoosh

Video Games

Postby Stoosh » Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:04 am

That's my feeling with the game. I'm glad they created a game with 64* sq mi of area to explore. I just don't want to ride a ****ing horse for 10 minutes to get to my next mission. My RDR2 time has gone ice cold since Christmas, save for maybe 2-3 hours spread over a few sessions.

* - that's a random number. I have no idea what the actual number is, but I thought I read it was more than 50 but less than 100.
I'm in the same boat. I've been waiting for RDR2 for YEARS (RDR was my favorite game outside of the Mass Effect series) and when I got it, I tried to take my time with the story. I got the Clemens Point camp part of the story but haven't really revisited it much over the last two months. Part of that was because in the interim I also picked up Anthem and Division 2, and I've really been enjoying my time with the latter of those two.

But I also find myself not really wanting to just dive back into RDR2. I think some of this is because in late January, I accidentally had what I think is a big part of RDR2's ending spoiled. But I also think gaming habits and tastes may have changed as well. To some degree, it feels like being able to invest just a handful of hours per week into a game that massive makes the game feel even bigger than it is, and it makes some of the, um...slower parts of the game feel like they're dragging even more.

Back around 2011-12, I used to try to play an hour or two every night or every other night. Now I probably play about 3-4 hours a week tops, and I also find myself drawn towards games that don't require as much...attention, I guess? Division 2 moves along at a great pace and there's enough story to keep me engaged. This is also why I still find myself drawn back to Destiny 2 and Star Wars: Battlefront II. I know the game is flawed in a lot of ways, but Battlefront II's multiplayer stuff has really become my default "decompress/not think about anything for 1-2 hours" game.

shafnutz05

Video Games

Postby shafnutz05 » Fri Mar 29, 2019 12:08 pm

I just started playing through Ocarina of Time on my PC. Forgot how much I hate Navi and the slow text scroll in general.

iamjs
Location: "Hey, who needs hockey? Didn't the Steelers just win the Super Bowl?"

Video Games

Postby iamjs » Fri Mar 29, 2019 1:25 pm

I'm in the same boat. I've been waiting for RDR2 for YEARS (RDR was my favorite game outside of the Mass Effect series) and when I got it, I tried to take my time with the story. I got the Clemens Point camp part of the story but haven't really revisited it much over the last two months. Part of that was because in the interim I also picked up Anthem and Division 2, and I've really been enjoying my time with the latter of those two.

But I also find myself not really wanting to just dive back into RDR2. I think some of this is because in late January, I accidentally had what I think is a big part of RDR2's ending spoiled. But I also think gaming habits and tastes may have changed as well. To some degree, it feels like being able to invest just a handful of hours per week into a game that massive makes the game feel even bigger than it is, and it makes some of the, um...slower parts of the game feel like they're dragging even more.

Back around 2011-12, I used to try to play an hour or two every night or every other night. Now I probably play about 3-4 hours a week tops, and I also find myself drawn towards games that don't require as much...attention, I guess? Division 2 moves along at a great pace and there's enough story to keep me engaged. This is also why I still find myself drawn back to Destiny 2 and Star Wars: Battlefront II. I know the game is flawed in a lot of ways, but Battlefront II's multiplayer stuff has really become my default "decompress/not think about anything for 1-2 hours" game.
I'm probably gonna jump around your post a little, and not necessarily in order.

Yeah, I split off around December because of a few things that were going on in real life that required running back and forth from here to where I grew up. Between that and being sick the latter half of December, I just didn't have the time that I thought I did for the game. Once I finally did try to get back into it, it was like "great, time to get back on the horse and ride 3/4 of the way across the map... again", where it just seemed overly tedious and dare I say no longer fun. I didn't get that with GTAV, which was the same concept (open world, things spread all over the map, side missions galore, etc.) I don't know if it was because it was quicker paced, because it jumped points of view, or that the storyline was a lot more interesting. Once I found out
about what happens to Arthur from somebody over Christmas break, it was like "wait, that's it for him?"
, it kinda seemed disappointing. Although after skimming wiki just now, I don't think they included everything. Nonetheless, the urgency for me to complete RDR2 just isn't there.

The time playing isn't even an issue. I originally bought the game because winter generally sucks and I hate being outside in anything below 30. You know what that means... yes, moar PS4 time. Ironically, the free time that I do have is going to old games and building two cabinets. I know I posted the one on twitter. It's about 50-60% complete, only needs a joystick, some assembly and a marquee. I just sprayed the second machine this week. Care to guess who has parts for three fingernails still covered in Donkey Kong blue despite several attempts at scrubbing?