Video Games

nocera

Video Games

Postby nocera » Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:49 am

I'll probably hold off until they do the version two of it. I imagine it'll get smaller and have all the bugs worked out by then.
Speaking of size, I didn't realize that the PS5 is actually larger than the Series X. After all the memes and articles that came out about the size of the X, not much has been said about the PS5 being gigantic.

Kane

Video Games

Postby Kane » Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:02 am

I'm guessing X got picked on because it is just a giant rectangle. PS5 at least has a design.

Morkle

Video Games

Postby Morkle » Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:06 am

The X is wider, and looks like a computer tower...

nocera

Video Games

Postby nocera » Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:13 am

The PS5 has a cooler design, for sure. But that thing is **** massive. It wouldn't fit in my entertainment center, unless it could be laid horizontally. By the way, this image makes the Series S look like a complete waste of money.

NTP66

Video Games

Postby NTP66 » Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:16 am

Can the Series X be placed horizontally, too?

nocera

Video Games

Postby nocera » Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:17 am

Can the Series X be placed horizontally, too?
I think it's made to stand vertically, hence the logo orientation, but you are able to place it horizontally.

dodint

Video Games

Postby dodint » Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:21 am

This is probably beating a dead horse but I haven't been paying close attention. Why is the XBox with no disc drive given a smaller SDD?

NTP66

Video Games

Postby NTP66 » Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:22 am

This is probably beating a dead horse but I haven't been paying close attention. Why is the XBox with no disc drive given a smaller SDD?
Yeah, that's backwards. I assume they want to sell you an external drive?

dodint

Video Games

Postby dodint » Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:23 am

I thought you couldn't play from the external drive, though? You have to swap the games onto the SSD and then run it. (I could be wrong, again, just absorbing stuff in passing).

NTP66

Video Games

Postby NTP66 » Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:24 am

https://www.techradar.com/news/why-the- ... s-it-seems
The main point of contention with Microsoft’s entry-level device, then, seems to revolve around the size of the SSD. In fairness, it’s hardly a surprise. Most games tend to require at least 40GB or more of hard drive space these days, while some are determined to take up every gig available – I’m looking at you Call of Duty: Modern Warfare. But if we delve a little deeper, it might not be as bad as it first seems.

With the move to 4K gaming, file sizes have increased exponentially. Xbox One X patches are noticeably bigger than those on Xbox One S, simply because there’s more data that needs to be downloaded for things such as 4K textures. It’s safe to assume, then, that games for Xbox Series S, which is targeting 1440p, won’t utilize 4K textures and should be considerably smaller.

The Xbox Series S will also let owners expand the console’s storage in a couple of key ways. Microsoft has partnered with Seagate to create expansion cards that slot into the back of the console and match the capabilities of its internal SSD. These 1TB expansion cards will offer a significant boost in storage for the Xbox Series S model, although price will determine how viable they’ll be. It’s likely that bigger variants will arrive later down the line, too, for those who desire even more space.

nocera

Video Games

Postby nocera » Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:24 am

Yeah, that's backwards. I assume they want to sell you an external drive?
Probably not as they've stated you can only play next-gen games using the internal drive. My guess is they wanted to get the cost to $299 and that was an easy cut. Bad decision, though. They should've followed Sony and just made a Series X Digital Edition.

NTP66

Video Games

Postby NTP66 » Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:25 am

I still think it's dumb to only include a 512GB drive regardless, but whatever.

Morkle

Video Games

Postby Morkle » Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:25 am

It's the less specced model to get cheaper consumers. Comparing to what's available, it doesn't even make sense as a purchase, when you can get the PS5 for same specs and one with disc.

nocera

Video Games

Postby nocera » Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:25 am

https://www.techradar.com/news/why-the- ... s-it-seems
The main point of contention with Microsoft’s entry-level device, then, seems to revolve around the size of the SSD. In fairness, it’s hardly a surprise. Most games tend to require at least 40GB or more of hard drive space these days, while some are determined to take up every gig available – I’m looking at you Call of Duty: Modern Warfare. But if we delve a little deeper, it might not be as bad as it first seems.

With the move to 4K gaming, file sizes have increased exponentially. Xbox One X patches are noticeably bigger than those on Xbox One S, simply because there’s more data that needs to be downloaded for things such as 4K textures. It’s safe to assume, then, that games for Xbox Series S, which is targeting 1440p, won’t utilize 4K textures and should be considerably smaller.

The Xbox Series S will also let owners expand the console’s storage in a couple of key ways. Microsoft has partnered with Seagate to create expansion cards that slot into the back of the console and match the capabilities of its internal SSD. These 1TB expansion cards will offer a significant boost in storage for the Xbox Series S model, although price will determine how viable they’ll be. It’s likely that bigger variants will arrive later down the line, too, for those who desire even more space.
I didn't know about the expansion cards. So we're basically back to memory cards. Neat...

Morkle

Video Games

Postby Morkle » Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:26 am

I'm curious if we can swap SDDs on PS4 - because it says custom there. If we can, then that's a no brainer purchase for me on the digital one, because I don't buy used games, and haven't bought a blue ray in years.

nocera

Video Games

Postby nocera » Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:27 am

It's the less specced model to get cheaper consumers. Comparing to what's available, it doesn't even make sense as a purchase, when you can get the PS5 for same specs and one with disc.
Parents are going to buy this without knowing any better. I hope they track the number of Series S consoles returned after Christmas.

Morkle

Video Games

Postby Morkle » Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:29 am

Parents are going to buy this without knowing any better. I hope they track the number of Series S consoles returned after Christmas.
I think that's the real market, yes. It's just spending any time actually looking at the specs and it's a no brainer that the PS5 edition makes more sense since they didn't skimp.

Although not announcing SDD size is quite annoying.

pens9192

Video Games

Postby pens9192 » Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:24 pm

Gotta love 'ol fashioned console wars. They are both releasing the same day? Damn.

I lived for the N64 vs. PSX wars back when I was a teenager. I was team N64 but then shifted to the PSX side once the PS2 came out and haven't looked back since. I just turned on my PS4 for the first time in over a year. I wish I had more time for games, so I am no rush for a PS5. Will probably get one once the next GTA is released or when EA Sports games have fully transitioned to the next gen and aren't a complete dumpster fire.

I can't wait to hear all the reports of angry kids getting the all digital version along with disc games because the parents/family don't know any better. Going to be great.

dodint

Video Games

Postby dodint » Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:28 pm

I just turned on my PS4 for the first time in over a year.
You might be done with the updates by Christmas. :lol:

nocera

Video Games

Postby nocera » Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:43 pm

Potentially bottlenecked at launch? That's not good.
By the way, here's a pretty good article debunking this.

WILL THE XBOX SERIES S HOLD BACK NEXT-GEN GAMING?
https://www.theverge.com/2020/9/17/2144 ... y-hardware

Oh by the way, to make things even more confusing, there are some games that will be cross gen but will ALSO come out with a physical version that does not include the upgrade for next-gen. So, for COD Cold War, there are three Xbox versions: Xbox One version - which will play on both the One and Series X, but not include the graphics/fps upgrades. The Series X will basically emulate the Xbox One version if you buy this disc. There's the Series X version - which includes both the Xbox One and Series X versions and you'll be able to upgrade to the X version. And the digital version, which also includes both. How the hell are parents supposed to know this ****?

tifosi77

Video Games

Postby tifosi77 » Thu Sep 17, 2020 4:52 pm

Looking at the Series 5 specs, I'm not even sure it's meant to be a competitor to the PlayStation. It's looks more like a Nintendo alternative, without the robust catalog of exclusive IPs. I don't understand who that product is actually for.

Spangler
Location: Spangler the t-shirt; Spangler the lunchbox; Spangler the flamethrower!

Video Games

Postby Spangler » Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:42 pm

I am shocked that they haven't made a Harry Potter game quite like this, until now. Looks very promising.

NTP66

Video Games

Postby NTP66 » Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:17 pm

I wonder how much longer places like GameStop will last with the two biggest players eliminating physical media drives on their least expensive units, which will drive up digital purchases.

Kane

Video Games

Postby Kane » Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:17 pm

I am shocked that they haven't made a Harry Potter game quite like this, until now. Looks very promising.
Tell me about it. It's practically a license to print money.

Kane

Video Games

Postby Kane » Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:19 pm

I wonder how much longer places like GameStop will last with the two biggest players eliminating physical media drives on their least expensive units, which will drive up digital purchases.
I haven't been to a GameStop for a few years, but they had a **** of collectibles and toys in the stores, too.