Video Games

shafnutz05

Video Games

Postby shafnutz05 » Thu Oct 01, 2020 12:47 pm

So a Mario battle royale? That sounds awesome. Damn I need a Switch.
I was skeptical before I watched the video, that does look fun.

Morkle

Video Games

Postby Morkle » Thu Oct 01, 2020 12:57 pm

Kinda cool, I'm just tired of the royale games, as they take away from everything else.

I'm convince that they wasted considerable resources of Battlefield to make a Royale system everyone hated and then gimped the game overall.

nocera

Video Games

Postby nocera » Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:02 pm

This is not really a BR. And I would argue that the BR craze is definitely on the downswing. PUBG has been steadily losing players (though it going free on PS+ was great and has provided a player bump), Activision will not be making a new BR with Cold War and instead will update Warzone. I'll be surprised if a new entry in a FPS franchise includes BR again. I expect a PUBG 2 at some point, Fortnite will continue to update, and Warzone will be there. At least as far as consoles go, that's probably the end of BR.

eddy

Video Games

Postby eddy » Fri Oct 02, 2020 9:43 am

Moving twitch question to here, can you watch people on that thing play rush 2 for n64?
Last edited by eddy on Fri Oct 02, 2020 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Viva la Ben

Video Games

Postby Viva la Ben » Fri Oct 02, 2020 9:44 am

Can’t wait to play Star Wars Squadrons after work today.

Kane

Video Games

Postby Kane » Fri Oct 02, 2020 9:45 am

Moving twitch question to hear, can you watch people on that thing play rush 2 for n64?
Doesn't look like it. Very little content for that game.

nocera

Video Games

Postby nocera » Fri Oct 02, 2020 9:45 am

Moving twitch question to hear, can you watch people on that thing play rush 2 for n64?
:lol: If someone streamed it, sure. I've only seen a few 64 streams and most are Mario speed runs.

eddy

Video Games

Postby eddy » Fri Oct 02, 2020 9:54 am

:lol: If someone streamed it, sure. I've only seen a few 64 streams and most are Mario speed runs.
That multiplayer mode where you crash for points came close to making me repeat my senior year in highschool. Like Bond, I can remember staying up all night, turning the console off and trying to make it in to school before 2nd period starts more times than I care to admit.

DigitalGypsy66

Video Games

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Fri Oct 02, 2020 10:47 am

Next question, what is a esport team?
It's a competitive team that plays video games. At my university, it is a scholarship sport. Our team plays Overwatch, League of Legends, Hearthstone, and now Rocket League. The coach (who is a PSU grad btw) recruits for these games, but most play a couple of different games. Plus, the team does a lot of cool charity streams with other games. They collaborated with us a couple of years ago for a Fortnite challenge to raise money for Make a Wish, and my kids got to play with the team. And they raised $500 in about 3 hours, which isn't too bad considering how small and new the team was at the time.

eddy

Video Games

Postby eddy » Fri Oct 02, 2020 10:51 am

It's a competitive team that plays video games. At my university, it is a scholarship sport. Our team plays Overwatch, League of Legends, Hearthstone, and now Rocket League. The coach (who is a PSU grad btw) recruits for these games, but most play a couple of different games. Plus, the team does a lot of cool charity streams with other games. They collaborated with us a couple of years ago for a Fortnite challenge to raise money for Make a Wish, and my kids got to play with the team. And they raised $500 in about 3 hours, which isn't too bad considering how small and new the team was at the time.
WOW, that is awesome. So you are on a team at your university? You play other schools?

nocera

Video Games

Postby nocera » Fri Oct 02, 2020 10:51 am

I played in a few Halo CE tourneys in college before esports really took off. You'd have to bring your Xbox to the location, there were CRTs set up all down a few long tables and it was wired for LAN play. Man what a blast.

eddy

Video Games

Postby eddy » Fri Oct 02, 2020 10:55 am

I played in a few Halo CE tourneys in college before esports really took off. You'd have to bring your Xbox to the location, there were CRTs set up all down a few long tables and it was wired for LAN play. Man what a blast.
When I was a kid, a buddy's mom would have NES tourneys and setup TVs all over the house and get other people's nintendos and have different games with different challenges. We'd record everything and she would hand out the Nestor awards at the end. Paradise.

nocera

Video Games

Postby nocera » Fri Oct 02, 2020 10:56 am

When I was a kid, a buddy's mom would have NES tourneys and setup TVs all over the house and get other people's nintendos and have different games with different challenges. We'd record everything and she would hand out the Nestor awards at the end. Paradise.
Holy ****. Mom of the year

DigitalGypsy66

Video Games

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Fri Oct 02, 2020 10:59 am

WOW, that is awesome. So you are on a team at your university? You play other schools?
haha, no. I'm not a student lol.

The team is housed in my building, so we often work together on charity events. They play other colleges and universities, not just in our D2 conference, but even Power 5 teams. Like we beat UVA at Hearthstone last year. And do well against other big universities, because we've had an esports program for 2 years now. Once these big schools get their programs on track, that probably won't be the case, but we'll take the dubs where we can. :lol:

eddy

Video Games

Postby eddy » Fri Oct 02, 2020 11:03 am

Ha, didn't think you were a student. They should let faculty/staff play too!

nocera

Video Games

Postby nocera » Fri Oct 02, 2020 11:18 am

Can’t wait to play Star Wars Squadrons after work today.
I've been enjoying watching it on Twitch today. Seems like a classic Rogue Squadron/X-Wing/Tie Fighter style game. I haven't seen anybody play multiplayer yet. Any idea how that works?

Viva la Ben

Video Games

Postby Viva la Ben » Fri Oct 02, 2020 11:46 am

5v5 matchmaking server. That’s the part I’m most interested in.
It really does look like an updated version of Xwing/tie fighter with the pips for engines/weapons/systems, and the distro for each. Balancing the shields and rotating them back to front when taking fire looks like the old mechanic too.

nocera

Video Games

Postby nocera » Fri Oct 02, 2020 1:11 pm

At least they're trying?

Stoosh

Video Games

Postby Stoosh » Fri Oct 02, 2020 1:57 pm

5v5 matchmaking server. That’s the part I’m most interested in.
It really does look like an updated version of Xwing/tie fighter with the pips for engines/weapons/systems, and the distro for each. Balancing the shields and rotating them back to front when taking fire looks like the old mechanic too.
Same. While I go back to the old vector-graphics based Star Wars arcade game and the Empire Strikes Back Atari 2600 game where you flew a snowspeeder around and attacked AT-ATs, X-Wing and TIE Fighter were two of my absolute favorite games as I got a little bit older. I thought the two Battlefront games did a decent job of building in some starfighter stuff, but I've been waiting for a game like Squadrons for a long, long time. 5pm can't get here quickly enough today.

The reception to it so far seems terrific, and that extends to the campaign.

nocera

Video Games

Postby nocera » Fri Oct 02, 2020 2:00 pm

Shadows of the Empire is the GOAT Star Wars game.

Stoosh

Video Games

Postby Stoosh » Fri Oct 02, 2020 2:08 pm

At least they're trying?
They seem to be making more of an effort than their Madden counterparts, at least.

I was on the fence about getting this because in general, I'm just not as into sports games as much as I used to be. That said, I'm a sucker for anything NHL '94 related, and the Be-A-Pro revisions look pretty well done. This looks a little closer to what you see with MLB: The Show. I've been playing through BAP in NHL '20 and I'm playing through an entire junior season - Frank Stoosh, Erie Otters legend - and it's not bad, though I still haven't gotten to the draft and I've heard the progression is pretty wonky.

DigitalGypsy66

Video Games

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Fri Oct 02, 2020 2:17 pm

Can I just get the NHL 94 remake? I don't have time for the other game. :lol:

(And please come back to PC)

dodint

Video Games

Postby dodint » Fri Oct 02, 2020 2:23 pm

I have NHL14 so I have the NHL94 remake they've dusted off.

skullman80

Video Games

Postby skullman80 » Fri Oct 02, 2020 2:27 pm

My wife had had a crappy week at work so I decided to download the new Crash Bandicoot on the PS4 for when she gets home tonight.

Spangler
Location: Spangler the t-shirt; Spangler the lunchbox; Spangler the flamethrower!

Video Games

Postby Spangler » Fri Oct 02, 2020 2:51 pm

I watched a streamer play the Mario BR game, and it looks fun. Speedrunners must be salivating as they perform mop-up duty against casual players.