Video Games

CBear3

Video Games

Postby CBear3 » Mon Feb 19, 2024 12:36 pm

Also, I have been sucked into playing Fortnite with my 10 year old. There are certainly worse things he could have asked me to do.

He gets the 60" TV and the Series X, I hook up the Switch up to a 24" gaming monitor on a TV tray on other side of the couch.

NTP66

Video Games

Postby NTP66 » Tue Feb 20, 2024 6:15 am

Cleaning out my basement I came across my old MSI GTX 1650. I figured I'd just let it sit down there, assuming it had no value, but checking eBay they're still going for $75-100. Guess I know what I'm doing with it now.

DigitalGypsy66

Video Games

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Tue Feb 20, 2024 8:55 am

Oh yeah. When we moved I sold a bunch of old GPUs I had lying around and made good money. The Radeon 390x I had sold for $250. I paid $350 for it brand new a few years before that.

Shyster

Video Games

Postby Shyster » Wed Feb 21, 2024 5:56 am

Happy Zelda birthday.

skullman80

Video Games

Postby skullman80 » Wed Feb 21, 2024 7:57 am

I can hear the music in that video without even playing it. Forever seared in my brain. The first Zelda was really pretty groundbreaking.

JC2

Video Games

Postby JC2 » Wed Feb 21, 2024 9:19 am

I really can't fathom how I got so far in that game as a child. It's both hard and has no direction.

skullman80

Video Games

Postby skullman80 » Wed Feb 21, 2024 9:32 am

The map that came with it at least gave you some guidance to the first few dungeons and the overall lay of the land, but yeah....it was thanks to Nintendo Power and friends that I ever got as far as I did. Lots of sharing of knowledge with each other when we found something, hand drawing out things....a much simpler time. I never actually beat the game until I was an adult at least both quests.

eddy

Video Games

Postby eddy » Wed Feb 21, 2024 10:40 am

meecrofilm

Video Games

Postby meecrofilm » Wed Feb 21, 2024 10:45 am

The map that came with it at least gave you some guidance to the first few dungeons and the overall lay of the land, but yeah....it was thanks to Nintendo Power and friends that I ever got as far as I did. Lots of sharing of knowledge with each other when we found something, hand drawing out things....a much simpler time. I never actually beat the game until I was an adult at least both quests.
Kind of adds to the adventure lore. You were all on a quest together.

skullman80

Video Games

Postby skullman80 » Wed Feb 21, 2024 10:52 am

Kind of adds to the adventure lore. You were all on a quest together.
Haha. I wouldn't have the patience for it now ...but as a kid having all the time in the world it was pretty amazing.

nocera

Video Games

Postby nocera » Wed Feb 21, 2024 10:55 am

I didn't have the patience for it as a kid either. Anytime I tried to play, I got bored and moved onto Contra or Mario pretty quickly.

skullman80

Video Games

Postby skullman80 » Wed Feb 21, 2024 10:59 am

It's funny cause I loved the original LOZ and it's one of my all time favorites. I didn't hate the 2nd zelda but it was definitely different. After that I basically never played much of the series. I was a sega kid in the 16 bit era so I never played LTTP on SNES until much later. I also was a PS1 kid so I never played Ocarina of time or Majora's mask other than a few minutes here or there at friends house. Have never touched any of the Zelda switch games either. The original though....man that has a special place in my childhood. It's not quite Mario 3, or Mega Man 2 for me, but its up there.

I do have LTTP now and Ocarina of time and have been meaning to get around to actually playing them. LTTP seems like it still holds up, but I fear that Ocarina of Time doesn't based on what I've read about it over the years since I don't have nostalgia for it.

nocera

Video Games

Postby nocera » Wed Feb 21, 2024 11:01 am

It's just not my style of game. Even today I can't get into single player experiences where there's a lot of exploration. And if there are long cut scenes, forget about it. I'm out before the end of the tutorial.

skullman80

Video Games

Postby skullman80 » Wed Feb 21, 2024 11:03 am

It's just not my style of game. Even today I can't get into single player experiences where there's a lot of exploration. And if there are long cut scenes, forget about it. I'm out before the end of the tutorial.
Yeah the games style you like the least is basically my favorite haha. :fist:

nocera

Video Games

Postby nocera » Wed Feb 21, 2024 11:09 am

Yeah the games style you like the least is basically my favorite haha. :fist:
I've been trying. Eventually my multiplayer skills will degrade to a point where it's no longer fun. At that point, I'll either need to switch to single player games or find a new hobby. So I've been trying out some game pass single player games. I started Tomb Raider (2013) and that's fun enough. But again, I lose interest when it has multiple unskippable cut scenes. Batman Arkham Knight was fun until I got to a racing mission and then I promptly uninstalled. A beat the clock driving mission in a Batman game? Do better. I also tried out Resident Evil 2 because I remember loving the first RE on PSX but the controls, especially for gun play, are awful. Another uninstall. I might go back to Tomb Raider. But really part of my problem is the Xbox single player games are pretty meh. Also, I play for about an hour or so at night. I don't want to spend 20% of that time watching cut scenes. I'd rather watch a movie at that point.

JC2

Video Games

Postby JC2 » Wed Feb 21, 2024 11:30 am

I think I might still have my old map at home with bushes marked for burning, walls for bombing, lost forest directions, etc. I didn't beat it until I was an adult because I could never find the silver arrows.

All that time grinding with old games is part of what makes them nostalgic, though. It's pretty amazing how I remember what blocks to break in castlevania or where secret 1ups are in Mario.

the wicked child

Video Games

Postby the wicked child » Wed Feb 21, 2024 2:20 pm

I do have LTTP now and Ocarina of time and have been meaning to get around to actually playing them. LTTP seems like it still holds up, but I fear that Ocarina of Time doesn't based on what I've read about it over the years since I don't have nostalgia for it.
Honestly the 3DS version of OOT is probably better to play than the original at this point. Certainly for MM. Bug fixes and such.

I didn't play those games until the GC era. Unfortunately the bundle I got (had z1, z2, OOT, and mm) was really buggy and Mm especially would crash and without being able to save, youd be out an entire cycle an dit made me hate the game unfairly.

ALTTP is pretty good though it suffers from lack of nostalgia to some extent for me. I've actually only played through the entirety of the original once, but have beaten it many times as part of the SMZ3 combo randomizer.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Video Games

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Wed Feb 21, 2024 11:16 pm

anyone here play COD Warzone? I liked the old CODs until BO3 and then I got bored of them. Bu lt my brother got me into Warzone 1 because I fell in love with the Rebirth mode (loved both Rebirth Island and the Keep map)

Warzone 2 changed the mechanics so I dropped it almost immediately and was disappointed about Warzone 1 rebirth being removed. But I heard that the latest changes to Warzone 2 changes the mechanics again and they brought rebirth back so I am intrigued again. I would be ecstatic if it played like Warzone 1

NTP66

Video Games

Postby NTP66 » Thu Feb 22, 2024 6:31 am

I tried to get into COD, but just couldn't. The action itself is lame, and I hate the whole 'open every box/door to find new ammo/gun' thing. It's lame.

DigitalGypsy66

Video Games

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Thu Feb 22, 2024 6:35 am

I played a lot of Warzone when it first came out during COVID lockdown, like everyone else. Got into the base MW19 too, but grew tired of waiting for certain weekly playlists to go live to continue grinding weapons skins. Seems like a circle jerk to me. I haven't bothered with any of the CODs since MW19.

eddy

Video Games

Postby eddy » Thu Feb 22, 2024 6:56 am

Games hitting switch online today:

Snake Rattle ‘N’ Roll
rC Pro-AM
Battletoads in Battlemaniacs
Killer Instinct
Blast Corps

Snake rattle and roll was a big game in my house, everyone loved that one

skullman80

Video Games

Postby skullman80 » Thu Feb 22, 2024 7:01 am

RC Pro Am is a great game.

eddy

Video Games

Postby eddy » Thu Feb 22, 2024 7:04 am

Was rc pro am 4 players?

skullman80

Video Games

Postby skullman80 » Thu Feb 22, 2024 7:15 am

The first one was actually only a one player game at least on the NES.

dodint

Video Games

Postby dodint » Thu Feb 22, 2024 7:58 am

RC Pro Am is an all time great game for me.

My race 'team' in real life is based on a vintage video game theme. I make videos for Youtube along those lines. For my first actual wheel to wheel sprint race I planned to make the video mimic the RC Pro Am screens, I downloaded all the audio files to match. Ended up crashing the car and coming in DFL. I did not make the video. :lol: