Video Games

Shyster

Video Games

Postby Shyster » Wed Dec 22, 2021 6:46 pm

Finished up Atom: RPG. As an homage to the original top-down Fallout RPGs, I think Wasteland 2 and 3 are better games in that genre, but Atom isn't bad, if one likes this sort of RPG. I enjoyed the game, although there were a couple battles that were very difficult.

Now playing Death's Door, which is a top-down game that reminds me of the SNES The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past. You play as a crow that is a reaper of souls. I'm not sure how exactly a crow manages to swing a sword and shoot arrows, but it does. I've only played a little, but it's very fun so far, and the game has glowing reviews. It's available on PC and pretty much every console.

shafnutz05

Video Games

Postby shafnutz05 » Thu Dec 23, 2021 6:14 am

Completely forgot my wife had bought me the Master Chief collection some years back, so just fired up Halo 1 last night. Man, the nostalgia.

I'm thinking once I work thru my back catalog of Xbox One games, I'll look into a PS5. One of the things I'm most looking forward to is enjoying the entire Sony catalog, as I've never owned a PS.

NTP66

Video Games

Postby NTP66 » Thu Dec 23, 2021 6:41 am

Speaking of Halo, more fun with the grappleshot:

the wicked child

Video Games

Postby the wicked child » Thu Dec 23, 2021 10:14 am

I've been playing a ton of the Metroid Prime randomizer and having a blast. Decided it was time to take on the Echoes randomizer.

I've played this a lot less than MP overall, so this is almost like playing the game for the first time in terms of the exploration, which is kind of cool.

It's gonna take quite awhile to finish most likely, but I'm enjoying it. I also was able to turn off the Spider Guardian more or less in the settings which instantly makes the game about 80 times more enjoyable.

NTP66

Video Games

Postby NTP66 » Sun Dec 26, 2021 11:19 am

Playing some Halo MP this morning, and the last Fiesta round I played (random weapons at respawn), I wound up with grappleshot, the gravity hammer, and the energy sword. It was a **** blood bath.

NTP66

Video Games

Postby NTP66 » Tue Dec 28, 2021 9:45 am

Lemon Berry Lobster

Video Games

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Wed Dec 29, 2021 5:02 pm

My last 10 games of ranked Halo might be the best I've ever played. Only 2 of those games my k/d was below 2.0.

Shyster

Video Games

Postby Shyster » Wed Dec 29, 2021 7:41 pm

Death's Door is a fun but hard game. It's going with the Souls-like "you will die over and over again" stuff, but it's not impossible. I'm enjoying the heck out of this one.

NTP66

Video Games

Postby NTP66 » Wed Dec 29, 2021 7:57 pm

My last 10 games of ranked Halo might be the best I've ever played. Only 2 of those games my k/d was below 2.0.
You’re on PC, right? I’m playing solo/duo/controller in Ranked, and am having trouble staying at 50/50. Part of it is skill, but part of it is definitely issues within the game. Rear melee resulting in no kill, sword strikes not registering, pumping a dozen rounds into somebody abs having no effect. It’s frustrating.

I’ve been playing Fiesta more than anything because the randomized weapons is a hell of a lot of fun, and it doesn’t matter how you do.

NTP66

Video Games

Postby NTP66 » Wed Dec 29, 2021 7:58 pm

Also ran into a squad of four clowns who proceeded to teabag every single player they killed. Weird that that’s still a thing.

nocera

Video Games

Postby nocera » Wed Dec 29, 2021 8:26 pm

Also ran into a squad of four clowns who proceeded to teabag every single player they killed. Weird that that’s still a thing.
It’s not Halo without teabagging.

NTP66

Video Games

Postby NTP66 » Wed Dec 29, 2021 8:37 pm

For all of that, they ended up losing the match. One of them paid for cat ears, too.

Lemon Berry Lobster

Video Games

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Wed Dec 29, 2021 11:04 pm

You’re on PC, right? I’m playing solo/duo/controller in Ranked, and am having trouble staying at 50/50. Part of it is skill, but part of it is definitely issues within the game. Rear melee resulting in no kill, sword strikes not registering, pumping a dozen rounds into somebody abs having no effect. It’s frustrating.

I’ve been playing Fiesta more than anything because the randomized weapons is a hell of a lot of fun, and it doesn’t matter how you do.
I'm on PC using an elite 2 controller with all four paddles. I played some of that solo/duo with a buddy and a bunch of the regular ranked. Regular ranked seems more even in respect to match making. With the way the shields work in Halo, especially with ranked, you want to break shield then look for head shots. When an enemy has their shield, the damage taken isn't different if it is a head or body shot. However, once the shield is broken, head shots do significantly more damage than body shots.

NTP66

Video Games

Postby NTP66 » Thu Dec 30, 2021 6:01 am

I'm on PC using an elite 2 controller with all four paddles. I played some of that solo/duo with a buddy and a bunch of the regular ranked. Regular ranked seems more even in respect to match making. With the way the shields work in Halo, especially with ranked, you want to break shield then look for head shots. When an enemy has their shield, the damage taken isn't different if it is a head or body shot. However, once the shield is broken, head shots do significantly more damage than body shots.
Yeah, it’s just difficult to actually get that headshot with so much movement. I’ve watched some YouTube videos of guys, and how they get their crosshairs to stay put while jumping around and **** I’ll never know. I do think a different controller may help after nocera commented on it. I just need one more button on the back for jumping.

Even so, putting 8+ shots into somebody’s body and not having them die is frustrating. Based on r/Halo, I’m not the only one seeing that nonsense.

skullman80

Video Games

Postby skullman80 » Thu Dec 30, 2021 11:31 am

I think I mentioned it before but if you are into single player games.. Guardians of The Galaxy is really really good. No multiplayer, just a single player story focused campaign.

I think most sites have it around 16-18 hours to complete which is right in my sweet spot. I think I have about 4 chapters to go right now, but it's been a blast.

nocera

Video Games

Postby nocera » Thu Dec 30, 2021 11:41 am

I’ll say it over and over again: if you’re playing a FPS on console without an elite/scuff controller, you’re at a severe disadvantage.

the wicked child

Video Games

Postby the wicked child » Thu Dec 30, 2021 11:46 am

I think I mentioned it before but if you are into single player games.. Guardians of The Galaxy is really really good. No multiplayer, just a single player story focused campaign.

I think most sites have it around 16-18 hours to complete which is right in my sweet spot. I think I have about 4 chapters to go right now, but it's been a blast.
Haven't started it yet, but picked it up when it was $30 off last week.

skullman80

Video Games

Postby skullman80 » Thu Dec 30, 2021 11:57 am

Haven't started it yet, but picked it up when it was $30 off last week.
You will have to let me know what you think. I think they did a really good job with the story and overall voice acting. I think it's better than the second GOTG movie honestly.

NTP66

Video Games

Postby NTP66 » Thu Dec 30, 2021 4:27 pm

I’ll say it over and over again: if you’re playing a FPS on console without an elite/scuff controller, you’re at a severe disadvantage.
I’m fine with that for now. I’ll track one of the better controllers, and when they drop in price, maybe I’ll grab one.

Ranked on open/crossplay has actually been a better experience for me. Played not nearly as many matches and am already a higher level than I am on solo/controller.

Also, I hate oddball. It’s the worst of the game types in Halo.

Morkle

Video Games

Postby Morkle » Fri Dec 31, 2021 1:01 am

I literally rip up most things with a basic controller in FPS. Battlefield, and casual CoD do not need a scuff controller, unless you're looking to compete in e-leagues or think you're sweaty enough to do that.

NTP66

Video Games

Postby NTP66 » Fri Dec 31, 2021 6:11 am

It’s the back button that I want, really. The other features… eh.

NTP66

Video Games

Postby NTP66 » Fri Dec 31, 2021 7:55 am

MS has the Elite 2 on sale for $139 right now, so I'm going to have Best Buy price match it when they open and pick one up locally.

Edit: And that's done. Best Buy's online price match via chat was pretty seamless. I should have the controller before lunch time.

Morkle

Video Games

Postby Morkle » Fri Dec 31, 2021 9:47 am

Yea that’s the only design flaw I hate about controllers. Why they have no back button or attachments that work like that is beyond me.

That’s really what’s pushed me to a scuff is that reasoning.

I just don’t think you *need* one to be good.

eddy

Video Games

Postby eddy » Fri Dec 31, 2021 9:59 am

No idea what an elite controller is? I just made it through the opening credits of new Halo. This game is amazing but I think I have to restart it and switch it to easy haha

nocera

Video Games

Postby nocera » Fri Dec 31, 2021 10:33 am

Yea that’s the only design flaw I hate about controllers. Why they have no back button or attachments that work like that is beyond me.

That’s really what’s pushed me to a scuff is that reasoning.

I just don’t think you *need* one to be good.
I don’t think you need one to be good. You need one to compete with good players. Luckily in most games the SBMM keeps things mostly even. But say you’re consistently the top in every lobby with your regular controller, sooner or later you’re going to run into better players with better controllers and get wrecked. I was good with a regular controller and the elite pushed me into another level.