Video Games

shafnutz05

Video Games

Postby shafnutz05 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:31 am

I was so excited for WWII...but is it not worth it? The user reviews are really underwhelming.

nocera

Video Games

Postby nocera » Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:25 am

I was so excited for WWII...but is it not worth it? The user reviews are really underwhelming.
I can tell you that my buddy, who endlessly mocked me for being excited for WWII and hasn't enjoyed COD since Black Ops is loving WWII. The biggest hurdle for him right now is server reliability, which is spotty at best. I decided to hold off until Christmas. Put me in those lobbies with the Christmas noobs.

DigitalGypsy66

Video Games

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:33 am

So they’re just going to wait for the hubbub to die down then turn it back on and hope nobody notices.
While true, the actual developers at DICE were very disturbed by the complaints and criticism. The microtransactions came from EA management, of course, and the dev team (mostly Swedes in Stockholm) were opposed to it from the beginning. Of course, these developers are far more visible than the middle and upper managers at EA, so the devs caught all of the outrage. So not only did they implement it against their will, they had to deal with the frothing, rabid complaints and had to remove the system. It sucks for them, because most are decent folk that have worked at DICE for years.

But yes, the microtransactions will be back at some point - with a vengeance.

Miami Vice

Video Games

Postby Miami Vice » Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:15 am

Just for some background: I like the COD campaigns more than the multiplayer, but COD, COD:UO, and COD2 were the ones I played PC multiplayer the most. On 360 I only ever played MW3 multiplayer. I haven't bought one since Advanecd Warfare and I didn't like that multiplayer at all.

So I was excited for a WW2 game just being a history buff kind of like you. I'm slowly working my way through the campaign so I don't have a lot to praise/criticize, but I was very let down by D-Day. There wasn't a ton going on with it, and it was really easy (I play on the 2nd hardest difficulty).

Multiplayer is a mixed bag. I really dislike the way the way you can pick whatever weapon you want from the ones you've earned. I always thought it was neat to be somewhat limited by the weapons of your chosen side. Now everyone seems to be using the grease gun (its the only one I have at the moment too). I don't mind being able to customize player skins, although it does make it tougher to figure out who is on your side, but I dislike the weapons.

I have only played 3 or 4 maps so far (London dock, Railway gun platform, Aachan, and in the war mode Normandy). They seem fine. I was really hoping for more of the classic maps. I guess Carentan was a bonus addition add-on. If they released a pack of the classics I'd be really excited.

I haven't played enough to notice which sides you can be, which I guess is a problem. I feel like in a 2017 game like this there should be US, Canadian, British, French Resistance, Soviet, German, and Italian teams.

eddy

Video Games

Postby eddy » Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:18 am

Xbox digital store Black Friday sale is live

https://www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/363 ... ry13878718
I haven't played any Halo games except for the original Xbox (which I loved). Are any of these worth it for the One S?

:xb1: Halo 5: Guardians – Digital Deluxe Edition - $25.00 - 50% off
:xb1: Halo Wars 2: Complete Edition - $50.99 - 15% off
:xb1: Halo Wars 2: Standard Edition - $20.00 - 50% off
:xb1: Halo Wars: Definitive Edition - $10.00 - 50% off

eddy

Video Games

Postby eddy » Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:20 am

I also made a mistake of playing a store demo version of Mario Odyssey last night while getting stuff with the kids for their cowboy day at school. Not only were we late for dinner, but it's going to be incredibly hard not getting a switch now.

Viva la Ben

Video Games

Postby Viva la Ben » Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:26 am

My kids want FFXV, I think there was a new system update that allows me to hide purchases(for Xmas)

As for halo...find a discounted master chief collection digital code...it can be found online for around $15.

Viva la Ben

Video Games

Postby Viva la Ben » Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:29 am

Master Chief collection is Halo 1 through 4
Last edited by Viva la Ben on Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

slappybrown

Video Games

Postby slappybrown » Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:29 am

I bought, beat, and sold FFXV, and I still don't know if I liked that game.

Viva la Ben

Video Games

Postby Viva la Ben » Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:30 am

The digital premium version with all the DLC is on sale for $30

eddy

Video Games

Postby eddy » Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:35 am

Source of the post Master Chief collection is Halo 1 through 4
:thumb: Thanks

nocera

Video Games

Postby nocera » Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:36 am

Source of the post Master Chief collection is Halo 1 through 4
:thumb: Thanks
And it's finally working fairly well. And it only took 3 years after the release.

shafnutz05

Video Games

Postby shafnutz05 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:44 pm

Thanks for the feedback all. I will probably ask for WWII for Christmas, and wipe up on those damn teenagers during the holidays.

tifosi77

Video Games

Postby tifosi77 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:10 pm

Underwhelming is a very good way to describe the campaign, that's for sure. I'm about 1/3 of the way through, and I'm really only playing it out of boredom on the weekends.

Conversely, I just finished what I think was my third play through of the campaign in Far Cry 4.

Miami Vice

Video Games

Postby Miami Vice » Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:55 am

An analyst from some investment bank I've never heard of says video game publishers should start raising prices:
"If you take a step back and look at the data, an hour of video game content is still one of the cheapest forms of entertainment," he wrote. "Quantitative analysis shows that video game publishers are actually charging gamers at a relatively inexpensive rate, and should probably raise prices."
https://www.cnbc.com/2017/11/20/gamers- ... rices.html

Morkle

Video Games

Postby Morkle » Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:29 am

These are the same types of people working for companies like EA. Likely never played a game in their life, but see $$$ at the expense of everything else.

This is actually one of the things that I wish the government would step in and regulate, as it's trending towards scamming kids, etc.

DigitalGypsy66

Video Games

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:17 am

We've banned our kids from buying in-game purchases for any of their "free" iOS games. It's ridiculous the amount of crap that's available to buy on a stupid mobile game.

I remember during the 2008 election when EA began selling in-game ads in whatever version of Need for Speed came out that year. In game billboards were "live" with real ads, based on your location. The Obama campaign used it to campaign in toss-up states, which was fairly successful early on in the campaign.

I don't think other games have done this, or not very much. Why not try this as a revenue source?

nocera

Video Games

Postby nocera » Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:29 am

We've banned our kids from buying in-game purchases for any of their "free" iOS games. It's ridiculous the amount of crap that's available to buy on a stupid mobile game.

I remember during the 2008 election when EA began selling in-game ads in whatever version of Need for Speed came out that year. In game billboards were "live" with real ads, based on your location. The Obama campaign used it to campaign in toss-up states, which was fairly successful early on in the campaign.

I don't think other games have done this, or not very much. Why not try this as a revenue source?
Jack Black's story on his son unknowingly racking up in-app purchases (not embedded since it wouldn't allow me):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... Y4YSpF6d6w
The 💰 intent 💰 is 💰 to 💰 provide 💰 players 💰 with 💰 a 💰 sense 💰 of 💰 pride 💰 and 💰 accomplishment 💰 for 💰 unlocking 💰 different 💰 heroes. 💰 As 💰 for 💰 cost, 💰 we 💰 selected 💰 initial 💰 values 💰 based 💰 upon 💰 data 💰 from 💰 the 💰 Open 💰 Beta 💰 and 💰 other 💰 adjustments 💰 made 💰 to 💰 milestone 💰 rewards 💰 before 💰 launch. 💰 Among 💰 other 💰 things, 💰 we're 💰 looking 💰 at 💰 average 💰 per-player 💰 credit 💰 earn 💰 rates 💰 on 💰 a 💰 daily 💰 basis, 💰 and 💰 we'll 💰 be 💰 making 💰 constant 💰 adjustments 💰 to 💰 ensure 💰 that 💰 players 💰 have 💰 challenges 💰 that 💰 are 💰 compelling, 💰 rewarding, 💰 and 💰 of 💰 course 💰 attainable 💰 via 💰 gameplay. 💰 We 💰 appreciate 💰 the 💰 candid 💰 feedback, 💰 and 💰 the 💰 passion 💰 the 💰 community 💰 has 💰 put 💰 forth 💰 around 💰 the 💰 current 💰 topics 💰 here 💰 on 💰 Reddit, 💰 our 💰 forums 💰 and 💰 across 💰 numerous 💰 social 💰 media 💰 outlets. 💰 Our 💰 team 💰 will 💰 continue 💰 to 💰 make 💰 changes 💰 and 💰 monitor 💰 community 💰 feedback 💰 and 💰 update 💰 everyone 💰 as 💰 soon 💰 and 💰 as 💰 often 💰 as 💰 we 💰 can. 💰 💰

DigitalGypsy66

Video Games

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:44 am

Yeah, we have pretty stout parental controls and turned off in-app purchases. They have to ask to download anything through Apple's parental controls system.

Spangler
Location: Spangler the t-shirt; Spangler the lunchbox; Spangler the flamethrower!

Video Games

Postby Spangler » Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:40 pm

I bought Battlefront 2 because I'm a shill. The meticulous amount of stuff they do in-game to game the system against you is astounding. It's like EA is trying really hard to ruin the game. Still can't believe they thought they could get away with charging up to 60k credits to unlock some heroes. 10k credits is already a chore.

Starfighter Assault is really good. The multistage objectives makes the mode feel like a collective battle like in RoTJ. Fighter combat is a million times better than BF1. You have more control over ships, and each class ship feels different from one another.

Miami Vice

Video Games

Postby Miami Vice » Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:58 pm

what happens if you and i both unlock darth vader. can we each run around as him?

Spangler
Location: Spangler the t-shirt; Spangler the lunchbox; Spangler the flamethrower!

Video Games

Postby Spangler » Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:59 pm

what happens if you and i both unlock darth vader. can we each run around as him?
No. You would have to choose someone else.

Lemon Berry Lobster

Video Games

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:15 pm

Play the campaign

Spangler

Video Games

Postby Spangler » Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:28 pm

I already played the campaign. Overall, I liked it; it had some really cool moments, and Iden Versio wasn't a bad character. The problem was they didn't focus on her story enough. There should have been more levels with her fighting for the Imperials before Endor.

Supposedly, they are releasing more to the campaign later that ties in to the new trilogy.

Lemon Berry Lobster

Video Games

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:11 pm

I already played the campaign. Overall, I liked it; it had some really cool moments, and Iden Versio wasn't a bad character. The problem was they didn't focus on her story enough. There should have been more levels with her fighting for the Imperials before Endor.

Supposedly, they are releasing more to the campaign later that ties in to the new trilogy.
I believe the DLC campaign add-ons pick up where the last level ends. I think the reason for the release around the time episode 8 comes out is to avoid spoilers.

What did the last level leave you thinking...
do you think Rey is the child of Del and Iden?