Video Games

shafnutz05

Video Games

Postby shafnutz05 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:57 am

It’s a strong arguement against legalized marijuana, imo.
:lol:

Oh yes, this "idea" was definitely brainstormed in a late night stoned haze.

Morkle

Video Games

Postby Morkle » Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:06 am

That soulja console is something that would only be sold at Big Lots and Ollie's Bargain Outlet

NAN

Video Games

Postby NAN » Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:14 am

I never tried playing with the pro controller when not docked, but I honestly haven't used it much mobile either so far.

Nan covered the updates.
I'm the same. I have a procontroller when I play on my TV, but never used it while mobile. My kids mainly have the switch when it's mobile though. I have to fight them for it.

DigitalGypsy66

Video Games

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:47 am

My wife is so funny.

As a teacher, she rails against our kids playing video games too much. We have a PS3 (which is mostly a Bluray player), two gaming PCs, 2 Nintendo 3DS, 2 iPads, a RetroPi "console," and a PS4. Our kids get no video game time during the week during school, and about 6-8 hours per weekend (give or take). So the boys have been talking about a Switch, but didn't put it on their list. I'm fine with us not getting it for them, as I wrote on here somewhere.

So this morning, after nearly all of the Christmas shopping is done, she goes "I think we should get them a Switch. I think they will be disappointed if they don't get one." I nearly fell out laughing. If I had done that, she would have gone off on me about how much money we spent, how they don't need anything video game related, and how I make her look like the bad guy, etc. She's soff, and was broken by the potential of our kids being disappointed that morning. :lol:

That being said, what are some good Switch deals? I think we've missed most of the good ones. We'll probably go lo-fi with the base controllers and maybe 1-2 games. Definitely Mario Kart and maybe Legend of Zelda.

NAN

Video Games

Postby NAN » Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:54 am

I'd go Mario Odyssey. Fantastic game.

Lemon Berry Lobster

Video Games

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:55 am

You should probably also pick up Smash when it is available, if it isn't already.

DigitalGypsy66

Video Games

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:09 am

Ahhh, Smash Brothers. Forgot about that. My kids don't have the patience for Legend of Zelda anyway.

the wicked child

Video Games

Postby the wicked child » Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:35 am

Mario Odyssey is an absolute MUST.

LITT
Location: Those who don't listen will eventually be surrounded by people with nothing to say

Video Games

Postby LITT » Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:19 pm

Fortnite season 7 dropped today. They changed the lower left hand side of the island to a winter theme and killed multiple places I used to drop. They also added planes, zip lines, and gun skins.
the planes are pretty fun. you can jump mid air on to other planes. i imagine if you get a squad on one it gets interesting with additional fire. mini gun becomes important.

Lemon Berry Lobster

Video Games

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:45 pm

Fortnite season 7 dropped today. They changed the lower left hand side of the island to a winter theme and killed multiple places I used to drop. They also added planes, zip lines, and gun skins.
the planes are pretty fun. you can jump mid air on to other planes. i imagine if you get a squad on one it gets interesting with additional fire. mini gun becomes important.
Just seems like such an odd add. I watched someone use the zip line in reverse, started at a lower point and ended at a higher one...

eddy

Video Games

Postby eddy » Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:31 pm

I'd go Mario Odyssey. Fantastic game.
The kids are getting Smash bros, Starlink, Let's Go Pokecho, Mario Kart, Arms, overcooked, Mario Party and Street Fighter. Mario Odyssey is my most anticipated and I'm not sure how we didn't get it for them yet. Now I have to get the pro controller and a game. Maybe the kids will buy it with their Christmas money!

iamjs
Location: "Hey, who needs hockey? Didn't the Steelers just win the Super Bowl?"

Video Games

Postby iamjs » Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:35 pm

As a teacher, she rails against our kids playing video games too much. We have a PS3 (which is mostly a Bluray player), two gaming PCs, 2 Nintendo 3DS, 2 iPads, a RetroPi "console," and a PS4. Our kids get no video game time during the week during school, and about 6-8 hours per weekend (give or take). So the boys have been talking about a Switch, but didn't put it on their list. I'm fine with us not getting it for them, as I wrote on here somewhere.
I finally got the MAME SD card and Raspberry Pi this week, and my six button button kit showed up. I'm debating on getting the graphics redone on my barcade, so I might be waiting a little longer than planned to have this thing done.

But once it's done, I'll have:

Barcade (basically same as retropi but in a dedicated mini cabinet)
Atari throwback
Atari console
Nintendo Wii
PS2
PS3
PS4

All but the PS4 stay downstairs on the game room tv, although I thought about moving one of the older consoles upstairs so I don't have to deal with swapping cables.

I feel like I'm missing a console in there.

dodint

Video Games

Postby dodint » Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:38 pm

Genesis

eddy

Video Games

Postby eddy » Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:40 pm

Source of the post That being said, what are some good Switch deals?
i have no idea what this site is, but that's the best deal I've seen beside the regular $299 with Mario Kart on Black Friday

https://www.massgenie.com/nintendo-hacs ... AQE8qYkZVw

DigitalGypsy66

Video Games

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:54 pm

Just Cause 4 has a really cool Easter Egg: https://twitter.com/IdleSloth1984/statu ... 0907474944

iamjs
Location: "Hey, who needs hockey? Didn't the Steelers just win the Super Bowl?"

Video Games

Postby iamjs » Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:41 pm

Genesis
I had a chance to pick one up at a thrift shop for $10 a few weeks ago. Turns out they are cash only. I guess I could have hit up the ATM and paid a few $ for service fees, but I wasn't that worried about it since it was also missing a plug. Until I bought one off ebay, I probably could just pick one up off LetGo for the same price.

Genesis and the NES were the two systems that I missed out on, so seeing it for sale didn't give me the same feeling as if I saw a 2600 on the shelf.

Lemon Berry Lobster

Video Games

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:08 pm

That reminds me, I have a Genesis sitting in my closet, needs a power source though.

slappybrown

Video Games

Postby slappybrown » Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:42 pm

Given Bethesda's evolution of the Fallout series into a run of the mill shoot 'em up FPS with a Fallout skin and minimal RPG elements (not much outside of perks) -- amd not to mention the disaster that is Fallout 76 -- I am thrilled Obsidian is back in the mix in this space:

https://www.polygon.com/features/2018/1 ... pg-preview
“We have three dialogue skills consisting of lie, intimidate, and persuade. They also have a role in combat. [Perhaps] you kill a creature and that intimidates the rest of the creatures, and they all flee. We wanted to make sure that players who choose dialogue aren’t just focused solely on talking, but that they have advantages in combat and the other gameplay we have as well.”

One particularly innovative system that the team is working on is how the game will offer players permanent negative attributes. When something terrible happens, say a grievous wound delivered by a particular animal or an accidental fall, players will be given a choice to sidestep the immediate consequence in favor taking a flaw instead.

“It’s a typical Obsidian game,” Staples said, “so it has a lot of choice and consequence. A lot of building your own character and playing the way that you want to play.”

“Along the way,” he continued, “the game watches how you’re doing and what happens to the player and we call it a flaw. Say that I’ve been fighting a lot of robots and here’s an opportunity of where we say, ‘You can take a flaw and have robo-phobia where you’re scared of robots and all your stats will go down when you’re near robots. If you accept that, you can take a perk right now.’

“We found that it’s a way to dynamically change the player character, to make them more of an interesting hero as they’re playing through the game. It’s a more reactive play style and how they’re doing things.”
Here's the trailer, and it looks amazing imo:

shafnutz05

Video Games

Postby shafnutz05 » Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:53 pm

Holy sht...that is awesome. I saw this on Kotaku:

"Outer Worlds is basically Fallout: New Vegas in space".

Seriously, take all of my damned money. FO:NV is one of my Top 5 games of all time.

shafnutz05

Video Games

Postby shafnutz05 » Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:54 pm

Man, some of the New Vegas dialogue :lol: :lol:
It was honestly a damned shame what they did to the dialogue and RPG elements in FO4. I lost interest quickly.

Spangler
Location: Spangler the t-shirt; Spangler the lunchbox; Spangler the flamethrower!

Video Games

Postby Spangler » Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:37 pm

That Obsidian game looks really really good.

eddy

Video Games

Postby eddy » Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:12 am

Source of the post That being said, what are some good Switch deals?
i have no idea what this site is, but that's the best deal I've seen beside the regular $299 with Mario Kart on Black Friday

https://www.massgenie.com/nintendo-hacs ... AQE8qYkZVw

https://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/ni ... art-deals/

tifosi77

Video Games

Postby tifosi77 » Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:20 pm

Lol, this is a confirmed response from Bethesda CS, regarding a complete bait and switch they advertised with their $200 FO76 collectors edition. What a damn mess.

"Hello, Bethesda? Yeah, hi, this this is Hank over at the FTC. We'd like to chat; is this a good time?"
They tweeted this out late last night. Trying to avert a class action?
We understand and respect that there is disappointment with the bag in the Power Armor Edition. We are sorry. Please contact Bethesda Support to provide proof of your CE purchase. They will assist in granting your account 500 Atoms.
:lol:

it should be noted that 500 atoms is worth about $5 in real world money. On top of that 500 atoms isn't even enough to get most of the atoms in the market, which means they are probably trying to milk more microtransactions out of people that are tempted to just buy a few hundred more to get them over the edge.
So it seems Bethesda is reversing course and will provide qualifying pre-order customers with a proper canvas bag like was advertised in the offer. Provided they open a help desk ticket.... which, if they knew who to send the junk bags out to, they should already know who to send the replacements out to without any further action by the consumer.

Maybe next they'll consider sending out a proper game, too.

the wicked child

Video Games

Postby the wicked child » Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:35 pm

There was also apparently a debacle where some of said tickets were publicly available so people's names, addresses, and phone numbers were exposed.

tifosi77

Video Games

Postby tifosi77 » Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:43 pm

Bethesda is Greek for whoopsiedoodle.