Video Games

shafnutz05

Video Games

Postby shafnutz05 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:36 pm

https://gamerant.com/activision-fraud-bungie/

Likely the impetus for the split
Activision Blizzard Under Investigation for Fraud Following Bungie Split
I'm still pissed off that they ruined World of Warcraft. **** Activision.

Lemon Berry Lobster

Video Games

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:41 pm

Yeah but WoW classic comes out this year...

Morkle

Video Games

Postby Morkle » Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:00 pm

It won't be the same. I'd kill to have that magical feeling that the original wow gave me when I was 17. I haven't been able to capture or feel how that game made me feel since. Just so much to do, so big, the actual MP premise being so large.

nocera

Video Games

Postby nocera » Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:47 pm

Rocket League now has full cross-platform play, with cross-platform parties coming soon. This is awesome.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Video Games

Postby count2infinity » Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:49 pm

Kicksave, Juice and myself played some Rocket the other night after we got frustrated with Fifa... forgot how fun that game is.

nocera

Video Games

Postby nocera » Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:50 pm

I still play a few nights a week, though lately I've been playing the "party" modes now that those are ranked. Ranked Dropshot is crazy fun.

MR25

Video Games

Postby MR25 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:51 pm

I havent played in forever. That might be enough to get me to come back. Was disappointing when I couldn't play against randos with my PC-playing friend.

dodint

Video Games

Postby dodint » Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:51 pm

Ranked Snow Day has really tightened those matches up. It used to be my fun screw around mode when I didn't want to play ranked and now it's just as intense.

Lemon Berry Lobster

Video Games

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:53 pm

I'm ranked diamond in snow day, eskekittttttttt

Morkle

Video Games

Postby Morkle » Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:55 pm

Kicksave, Juice and myself played some Rocket the other night after we got frustrated with Fifa... forgot how fun that game is.
Woah, thanks for the invite guys.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Video Games

Postby count2infinity » Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:01 pm

You’re a dad now. Fun is over.

Morkle

Video Games

Postby Morkle » Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:14 pm

Wow bro, wow.

Spangler
Location: Spangler the t-shirt; Spangler the lunchbox; Spangler the flamethrower!

Video Games

Postby Spangler » Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:08 pm

Metroidvania basically means a castlevania style platformer with exploration based on finding items/gear that open new areas.

This is typically a good thing for my tastes... If the game is reasonable.
How dare you call metroidvania a “castlevania style platformer”. Metroid was doing it like 10 years before Castlevania thought to do it.

Sorry a pet peeve of mine. I don’t even nnow why they lump Castlevania in that term since those games were basic platformers for a long time.

Shyster

Video Games

Postby Shyster » Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:03 pm

Metroid - August 6, 1986
Castlevania 2: Simon's Quest - August 28, 1987

It is true that Castlevania 3 returned to the more linear model of Castlevania 1, but Simon's Quest was certainly a Metroid-style game with nonlinear gameplay and other RPG elements, and it came out only a year after Metroid. When I hear the term Metroidvania, that's the "vania" part I think of.

iamjs
Location: "Hey, who needs hockey? Didn't the Steelers just win the Super Bowl?"

Video Games

Postby iamjs » Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:04 pm

Beat Read Dead 2. What a ride, great story, good ending for the most part.
I'm taking my time with it. I think I'm around 20% finished. I should be further than this, but have been sick and didn't feel like picking up the controller. With the Penguins' bye week quickly approaching, I have a feeling business is about to pick up and I'll be putting some hours in.

the wicked child

Video Games

Postby the wicked child » Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:06 pm

Metroid - August 6, 1986

It is true that Castlevania 3 returned to the more linear model of Castlevania 1, but Simon's Quest was certainly a Metroid-style game with nonlinear gameplay and other RPG elements, and it came out only a year after Metroid. When I hear the term Metroidvania, that's the "vania" part I think of.
To my knowledge, this term was born from Symphony of the Night.

Shyster

Video Games

Postby Shyster » Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:43 pm

According to some Googling, board-game-designer Richard Hutnik is supposedly the first person to use the "Metroidvania," and he coined the term while playing the first Game Boy Advance Castlevania game, which reminded him of Metroid.

https://boardgamegeek.com/blogpost/2890 ... troidvania

https://www.neogaf.com/threads/who-firs ... 231/page-3

This discussion makes me want to pull out my old DS and play those GBA/DS Castlevania games like Harmony of Dissonance and Order of Ecclesia. Those were some really good games.

Spangler
Location: Spangler the t-shirt; Spangler the lunchbox; Spangler the flamethrower!

Video Games

Postby Spangler » Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:03 pm

Metroid - August 6, 1986

To my knowledge, this term was born from Symphony of the Night.
SOTN is the game I think of when it comes to the start of Castlevania's move towards Metroid's formula. Certainly a lot of 2D Castlevania games since then have patterned a lot from that game.

Kane

Video Games

Postby Kane » Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:00 am

So, Stardew Valley is a lot of fun.

eddy

Video Games

Postby eddy » Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:18 am

yes. yes it is. I'm addicted at this point. I started reading too much online about what to do and then was getting overwhelmed with all the things you can do, so I finally said the hell with it, I'm just going to grow a lot of hops and make a barn full of pale ale. I like that there is a story you can follow or you can just go and do your own thing. I read a good point stating that if you try and cram everything in and maximize everything in the first year, the game can lose a lot of it's appeal later. Just enjoy the game and do what you do.

With that said, I just reached level 30 of the mines and built my first silo. I'm on day 11 in summer

Kane

Video Games

Postby Kane » Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:30 am

yes. yes it is. I'm addicted at this point. I started reading too much online about what to do and then was getting overwhelmed with all the things you can do, so I finally said the hell with it, I'm just going to grow a lot of hops and make a barn full of pale ale. I like that there is a story you can follow or you can just go and do your own thing. I read a good point stating that if you try and cram everything in and maximize everything in the first year, the game can lose a lot of it's appeal later. Just enjoy the game and do what you do.

With that said, I just reached level 30 of the mines and built my first silo. I'm on day 11 in summer
Yeah, I am taking one day at a time. Summer is just about to start, and I've only got a few rows of crops and one fruit tree. I did just leave my axe with Clint for an upgrade - those big ass stumps need to go!

Apparently you can also make wine and cheese, and eventually the last house upgrade lets you age them in your cellar. There is a crazy amount of content to this game.

eddy

Video Games

Postby eddy » Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:39 am

Source of the post Apparently you can also make wine and cheese, and eventually the last house upgrade lets you age them in your cellar. There is a crazy amount of content to this game.
I saw that. I can't imagine having enough money to make that. I will be using caves and barns for my kegs. My wife is constantly making fun of me for how I talk about this game and now I see what she means as I talk about it on a message board! Only problem with this game is myself and the 3 kids are hooked now, it's tough to get in my farm time!

Kane

Video Games

Postby Kane » Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:59 am

I saw that. I can't imagine having enough money to make that. I will be using caves and barns for my kegs. My wife is constantly making fun of me for how I talk about this game and now I see what she means as I talk about it on a message board! Only problem with this game is myself and the 3 kids are hooked now, it's tough to get in my farm time!
That cave will be used for something else later on. ;)

Oof, three kids. It's hard enough with just the missus and I. More than likely I will end up downloading it on my PC - the controls seem like they would be better on there anyway.

DigitalGypsy66

Video Games

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:04 am

Upgrading my second gaming PC, mostly used by my older son. I ordered a CPU, motherboard, and RAM from Newegg. They usually ship out of their NJ warehouse, but these items came from City of Industry, CA. For some reason, they separated my order - shipping the CPU and RAM Fedex and the motherboard USPS surepost. CPU and RAM came today, and the motherboard won't arrive until Monday. Both shipped from the same facility, and were picked up at the same time...this makes limited sense. :lol:

I basically reordered what I got for my upgrade back in September: Ryzen 5 2600, 16GB of G.Skill DDR4, MSI B450 Tomahawk motherboard. I got a better deal back in September though.

dodint

Video Games

Postby dodint » Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:08 am

I have no idea how they did it but NewEgg was really good at getting shipments to us in Afghanistan. They must have been really close to the APO collection point.