Video Games

tifosi77

Video Games

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:10 pm

It's also an IP enforcement thing. Copyright lasts forever (well, depending on the type of work, the natural life of the creator plus x number of years), but failure to enforce trademarks can result in weakening the mark and possibly even result in the government canceling the trademark altogether. So anyone could make a 'Zelda' game and not have to license the rights from Nintendo.

Lemon Berry Lobster

Video Games

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:14 am

Yeah basically Nintendo will shut down a site, the database will lay quiet for a bit, then a new site will pop up. It'll operate until Nintendo catches it, then rinse and repeat.

Silentom

Video Games

Postby Silentom » Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:04 am

I should build a Pi before they go hog wild.

the wicked child

Video Games

Postby the wicked child » Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:18 am

Got all of the Darker Side art moons and the last toad music moon I was missing... Up to 653 iirc... Not sure I'm going to do much more though.

NAN

Video Games

Postby NAN » Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:04 am

Got all of the Darker Side art moons and the last toad music moon I was missing... Up to 653 iirc... Not sure I'm going to do much more though.
Damn. You caught up to me quick. I'm at least going to try to get all the purple coins too. I have most of those. I'm guessing I'll get another 50 moons or so before I get to the point it isn't worth it.

NAN

Video Games

Postby NAN » Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:06 am

It's also an IP enforcement thing. Copyright lasts forever (well, depending on the type of work, the natural life of the creator plus x number of years), but failure to enforce trademarks can result in weakening the mark and possibly even result in the government canceling the trademark altogether. So anyone could make a 'Zelda' game and not have to license the rights from Nintendo.
This, as well as I read that they are pissed people are making a ton of add money off of their products on these sites.

It sucks, but I also know why they are doing it.

Plus I have most of the physical games in my collection and they all still work to my knowledge. :pop:

Morkle

Video Games

Postby Morkle » Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:09 am

So I bought SCUM. Came out yesterday but it's basically DayZ. So far so good. Not much to do in it yet as it's early release, but it's certainly different actually having to manage not getting wet, not getting sick, hurt, etc.

Joegap

Video Games

Postby Joegap » Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:35 am

Any WoW players out there? Really enjoying the new expansion

Lemon Berry Lobster

Video Games

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:36 am

I bet Om plays WoW, probably Morkle too.

dodint

Video Games

Postby dodint » Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:37 am

shaf, I think.

Silentom

Video Games

Postby Silentom » Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:37 am

Never played WoW, nor had any desire to do so. I'm not a fan of MMO's or playing online in general. I prefer single-player open world games.

shafnutz05

Video Games

Postby shafnutz05 » Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:21 pm

Any WoW players out there? Really enjoying the new expansion
Battle for Azeroth is an excellent expansion so far. World PvP has been completely resurrected, not to mention teaming up with other people out in the world. Feels like it is going to take me forever to grind the rep for the flying mount, but oh well.

tifosi77

Video Games

Postby tifosi77 » Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:11 pm

This, as well as I read that they are pissed people are making a ton of add money off of their products on these sites.

Plus I have most of the physical games in my collection and they all still work to my knowledge. :pop:
For-profit infringement is another ballgame. The fines for that sort of thing are astronomical (basically, around a quarter million dollars per infraction), and that is very much money out of Nintendo's pocket.

There was a serial infringer of Yu-Gi-Oh! stuff when I was at KDE who's site was so polished that YGO players thought it was an official thing. (And it looked official because he'd gotten his hand on some digital key art files somehow) They'd play matches through this guy's portal, show up an an officially sanctioned in-person tournament and throw a fit when the points they'd earned on this bootleg site weren't reflected on their profile. I was eventually asked to send a C&D letter, and the guy responded to me claiming I was fake, from a rival bootleg site, and ignored me. So we contacted his ISP and domain host and shut him down. Then he reached back out to me and sent me something 10 or 11 emails in the course of around three hours that more or less tracked the five stages of grief, ending with what amounted to a suicide threat because we took away his livelihood.

A couple months later, the guy sent me a connection request on LinkedIn.

slappybrown

Video Games

Postby slappybrown » Thu Aug 30, 2018 2:49 pm

For-profit infringement is another ballgame. The fines for that sort of thing are astronomical (basically, around a quarter million dollars per infraction), and that is very much money out of Nintendo's pocket.

There was a serial infringer of Yu-Gi-Oh! stuff when I was at KDE who's site was so polished that YGO players thought it was an official thing. (And it looked official because he'd gotten his hand on some digital key art files somehow) They'd play matches through this guy's portal, show up an an officially sanctioned in-person tournament and throw a fit when the points they'd earned on this bootleg site weren't reflected on their profile. I was eventually asked to send a C&D letter, and the guy responded to me claiming I was fake, from a rival bootleg site, and ignored me. So we contacted his ISP and domain host and shut him down. Then he reached back out to me and sent me something 10 or 11 emails in the course of around three hours that more or less tracked the five stages of grief, ending with what amounted to a suicide threat because we took away his livelihood.

A couple months later, the guy sent me a connection request on LinkedIn.
Did you accept

tifosi77

Video Games

Postby tifosi77 » Thu Aug 30, 2018 3:02 pm

No. No I did not.

tifosi77

Video Games

Postby tifosi77 » Thu Aug 30, 2018 3:12 pm

And I'm certain I've shared that story multiple times, so, sorry for the repetition.

NAN

Video Games

Postby NAN » Thu Aug 30, 2018 3:45 pm

That's the first I remember it. So thank you for sharing again.

tifosi77

Video Games

Postby tifosi77 » Thu Aug 30, 2018 4:02 pm

You're most welcome, @NAN.

nocera

Video Games

Postby nocera » Thu Aug 30, 2018 4:07 pm

I know I shouldn't feel bad for the guy who set up a bootleg site and profited off somebody else's IP, but I kinda feel bad for the guy who set up a bootleg site and profited off somebody else's IP.

Shyster

Video Games

Postby Shyster » Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:04 pm

I don't play multiplayer games. I play video games in order to avoid dealing with other people. Plus the anonymity offered by the internet just makes people act like griefing a**holes, so it's actually worse dealing with people online than dealing with people in real life (look up the Greater Internet F***wad Theory).

Spangler
Location: Spangler the t-shirt; Spangler the lunchbox; Spangler the flamethrower!

Video Games

Postby Spangler » Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:03 pm

A lot of those sites have obscure-ass games that are nearly impossible to find. There's no way Nintendo is going to release retro, shuffleware games for a lot of reasons dealing with practicality. I've heard some people make the case that emulators should exist for historic reference because some games are just never going to be re-released. Even when good games are revived, sometimes they are altered to look and/or perform better or music is altered due to copyright. It's similar to the argument that the original Star Wars trilogy shouldn't be erased like what George Lucas was trying to do.

That being said, people are going to abuse emulators, so I get why Nintendo is cracking down. All I'm saying is that there are some legitimate reasons as to why they should exist; I own a physical copy of Super Metroid, but I have an emulator for when I tried to speedrun the game because it was a million times more convenient.

Silentom

Video Games

Postby Silentom » Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:05 pm

I'm raking in the karma on r/skyrim with a screenshot I took while playing last night.

https://old.reddit.com/r/skyrim/comment ... _province/

tifosi77

Video Games

Postby tifosi77 » Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:33 pm

I don't play multiplayer games. I play video games in order to avoid dealing with other people. Plus the anonymity offered by the internet just makes people act like griefing a**holes, so it's actually worse dealing with people online than dealing with people in real life (look up the Greater Internet F***wad Theory).
My man

I think I've done co-op two times in my life, and both times were helping to beta an update.

Spangler
Location: Spangler the t-shirt; Spangler the lunchbox; Spangler the flamethrower!

Video Games

Postby Spangler » Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:15 pm

I play Elder Scrolls Online and you can do most of the content in that game solo. I'll get a group request from-time-to-time and I'll decline because I don't want to get sidetracked doing something another play wants to do. There's 4 other quests I'm trying to do. I'm not dropping every to hang out with someone I care little about.

NAN

Video Games

Postby NAN » Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:11 am

I collected all the purple coins and now up to 705 power moons. I'll probably fall about 20 short though when it's all said an done. Some of the races with the koopas are impossible and f the 100 jump rope game.