Video Games

Morkle

Video Games

Postby Morkle » Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:44 am

I spoiled the ending for myself based and stopped playing the game then and there. Far Cry New Dawn is apparently more of the same as well.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Video Games

Postby count2infinity » Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:24 am

One other thing about Far Cry 5:
Getting drugged and kidnapped... 9? I think it was 9 times. 3 in each region. Once or twice throughout the game: cool. It can be a great part of the story line, but 9 freaking times?!?! gtfo.

tifosi77

Video Games

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:00 am

YOU WILL PLAY THIS PART OF THE STORY RIGHT NOW!

You can preempt it by fast traveling to another region when the music starts, but as soon as you return you get scooped up. Even if you're in an aircraft.

The idea of the story is pretty solid imo, and honestly, given some past real-world events is not even that far fetched. However, the way they tell that story sort of beggars belief. You could get away with saying you're cut off from the world when you set your game in some random Indonesian archipelago, or three miles up the Himalayas. But a US Marshal deputy going missing and an entire county of Montana falling off the grid with no law enforcement response is asking a bit much imo.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Video Games

Postby count2infinity » Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:15 am

I have no problem suspending "reality" when it comes to video games or movies. Especially superhero movies... just ask shmenguin. I loved the idea of the story and more or less liked the cut scenes up until the end. Now I'm going to fire it back up and play some of the side missions that sounded like fun that I just skipped over like sourcing bull testicles for the Testy Festy. :lol:

eddy

Video Games

Postby eddy » Sat Nov 16, 2019 12:24 pm

Is sea of thieves any good?

Stoosh

Video Games

Postby Stoosh » Sat Nov 16, 2019 3:15 pm

It's been a good weekend as far as some favorite titles/franchises go for me.

I picked up Jedi: Fallen Order yesterday and it's unbelievably good so far. A little campy here and there, but it feels like the Star Wars universe in every sense and the lightsaber combat is absolutely great. It's apparently a massive game but it doesn't feel bogged down with tedious fetch quests or anything like that. Almost every review of it has been glowing. Respawn has hit it out of the part with this.

Also, buried in this article by Jason Schreier at Kotaku about Bioware doing a full-on, No Man's Sky-style overhaul of Anthem https://kotaku.com/sources-bioware-plan ... 1839892415

was this little blurb of joy:
BioWare, meanwhile, is still invested in role-playing games. In addition to the much-anticipated Dragon Age 4, which BioWare teased last year, a new Mass Effect game is in very early development at the Edmonton office under director Mike Gamble, a longtime BioWare producer.
I have no idea what direction they'll go with Mass Effect and there are a number of things I'd love to see. I'm just glad to see it's not dead and buried.

This all ties in nicely because if Respawn does indeed find success with Jedi: Fallen Order, I hope it provides incentive for EA to continue to recognize the demand for single-player story-driven games, and how well they'll do when they're done well. I don't mind the multiplayer-based looter-shooter stuff and I'm sure there are ways you can build multiplayer into some of these games (I thought Mass Effect did well with that in both ME3 and Andromeda), but a story with some substance is crucial.

Also, with J:FA being done on the Unreal engine, I hope EA realizes that not every game needs to be shoehorned into Frostbite.

Lemon Berry Lobster

Video Games

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Sat Nov 16, 2019 3:23 pm

Agreed, having a blast with J:FA so far. I typically don't enjoy this kind of game so learning the combat style is different. Not a hack and slash like The Force Unleashed games were.

tifosi77

Video Games

Postby tifosi77 » Sat Nov 16, 2019 4:02 pm

I haven't played a SW game since KOTOR, so I could be talked into this Fallen Order thing.

DigitalGypsy66

Video Games

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Sat Nov 16, 2019 4:11 pm

I decided to get Origin Premier for a year, and started up Fallen Order as well. Beautiful at 1440p, and really cool for the hour or so far I've played. I'm really awful at these games, but it's fun so far.

I agree about Frostbite, Stoosh. It generates beautiful imagery but apparently it's a dodint to work with.

Lemon Berry Lobster

Video Games

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Sat Nov 16, 2019 4:25 pm

I haven't played a SW game since KOTOR, so I could be talked into this Fallen Order thing.

Stoosh

Video Games

Postby Stoosh » Sun Nov 17, 2019 11:07 am

I decided to get Origin Premier for a year, and started up Fallen Order as well. Beautiful at 1440p, and really cool for the hour or so far I've played. I'm really awful at these games, but it's fun so far.

I agree about Frostbite, Stoosh. It generates beautiful imagery but apparently it's a dodint to work with.
Minor annoyance with some of the game save/respawn mechanics, but outside of that it's an absolutely great game so far.

One thing I really love is that they've captured the Star Wars aesthetics perfectly. In the timeline, this story happens shortly after Revenge of the Sith and pretty well before the events of Rogue One/New Hope, so in the environments you find yourself in this really cool blend of prequel trilogy/Clone Wars era stuff as well as some of the visuals that are so iconic to the original trilogy. And the music fits perfectly.

The combat is definitely challenging. Quite honestly, on more than one occasion, I've gotten my ass totally kicked by scout troopers and commanders wielding melee weapons. You really have to think your combat through quickly (defensive tactics, especially) but when it clicks, the "finishing move" scenes are very rewarding.

One other thing that was a bit of an annoyance that I've since grown to like...there doesn't appear to be any sort of fast travel, especially out of main objective areas. When you complete a main objective, you pretty much have to find your way out of wherever you are. At first, it was frustrating because, hey, I just want to get back to my ship and continue the story, but I realized that the journey back is also essential to the progression of your character and actually serves to advance the story. I won't spoil anything, and the game does help you along by providing shortcuts or diverting you to different areas so you're not back-tracking completely. But it's a bit different than what I've seen before in most games, and I like it.

Also, changing the topic to Frostbite and the future of the Mass Effect series, I will say this about Frostbite. I thought the combat mechanics in both Mass Effect: Andromeda and Anthem were some of the best parts of the game, and Frostbite certainly contributed to this. That said, from some of Jason Schreier's other articles, it sounds a lot like many of the problems that ME:A had in development - particularly what they wanted to do with ME:A - were directly related to Frostbite. I don't know enough about the ins and outs of the engines, but I'd hate to see the ME series continue to sacrifice what it can be just so EA can continue to push Frostbite as its new toy.

eddy

Video Games

Postby eddy » Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:24 am

did the 3 month ultimate game pass this weekend and played/watched Skate 3, Monster Hunter World 3, Gears of War 5 with the kids. We played a little of Borderlands 2, but decided to stick with Gears. I doubt I get much time playing as the daughter is hooked on Monster Hunter now.

offsides

Video Games

Postby offsides » Thu Nov 21, 2019 5:20 pm

I am up to level 26 with the original Borderlands on my PS4. Having a blast playing it. I picked the Hunter and am mostly using a sniper and pistol. Of course an old guy like me is easily entertained.
I finished the original, Borderlands 2 and pre-sequel. Been playing Borderlands 3 for a while. Up to level 32. 3 has a lot of new stuff but also a lot of the same stuff as the others. It is pretty much what I expected and was hoping for. Lots of shooting and some RPG. I play solo and this game is fine with that. Keeps this old guy busy. :)

Spangler
Location: Spangler the t-shirt; Spangler the lunchbox; Spangler the flamethrower!

Video Games

Postby Spangler » Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:51 pm

I'm enjoying Fallen Order so far. It's probably the most realistic portrayal of Jedi combat I've seen, especially since you are playing a Jedi nobody. He isn't Anakin Skywalker, he's going to be in trouble when he's outnumbered.

NTP66

Video Games

Postby NTP66 » Sun Dec 01, 2019 6:56 am

Question for you guys. I currently have PS3, used almost exclusively for Blu-ray movies every once in a while. The Xbox One X bundles are all on sale right now. Is it worth grabbing one at $350, or waiting for the next version due late next year? I only have interest in one game - Microsoft flight simulator. We occasionally play games on the PS3 using the Move motion controllers, and it looks like I would have to keep the PS3 around since Microsoft doesn’t have anything equivalent.

NTP66

Video Games

Postby NTP66 » Sun Dec 01, 2019 8:42 am

Nevermind. B&H had the Xbox One X NBA 2K19 bundle with a free Thrustmaster T.Racing Scuderia Ferrari Edition Headset for $317 shipped so I jumped on it. Gonna sell the game and headset since I'm not interested in either, so I should come in around $250 at the end of the day.

tifosi77

Video Games

Postby tifosi77 » Sun Dec 01, 2019 1:35 pm

Yeah, with Gen 5 consoles coming in a year it would have to be a super deep discount to get me to buy a current console now.

NTP66

Video Games

Postby NTP66 » Sun Dec 01, 2019 1:39 pm

I figured I didn’t want to spend $400+, which I have no doubt the new console will be, and a total investment of about $250 for the Xbox One X was good enough for me. The fact that it has true 4K output pushed me to go the X route instead of the S.

NTP66

Video Games

Postby NTP66 » Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:24 pm

Does Xbox generally have issues with the initial setup on a wireless network? I couldn't get it to work on wireless, and only until I moved to ethernet did it start the download, all the while displaying an error about the Xbox live service being down.

NTP66

Video Games

Postby NTP66 » Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:19 pm

Finally register the Xbox and check the device online, and it shows the warranty as being expired as of last month. :lol: Microsoft is now looking into how a brand new device is showing this way. What a start to my Xbox world.

tifosi77

Video Games

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:01 pm

XBONE(D)

NTP66

Video Games

Postby NTP66 » Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:21 pm

It’s almost like Microsoft starts the clock when the device is manufactured. This was a bundle with NBA 2K19, so I assume it was made a while ago. Microsoft chat sorted it out and added an extra month onto the warranty, so I’m all squared away.

Now release the new Microsoft flight simulator, damnit!

nocera

Video Games

Postby nocera » Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:41 am

Source of the post all the while displaying an error about the Xbox live service being down.
Get used to Xbox Live being down. It happens far too frequently.

NTP66

Video Games

Postby NTP66 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:43 am

Is Xbox Live just their multi-player world? If so, I couldn't care less about it. I'll be buying a handful of physical games, and won't be doing any digital download or live stuff.

MR25

Video Games

Postby MR25 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:48 am

Source of the post all the while displaying an error about the Xbox live service being down.
Get used to Xbox Live being down. It happens far too frequently.

? I feel like it's only happened once in the past 4ish months since I moved to my new place.