eddy

Video Games

Postby eddy » Wed Dec 11, 2019 8:29 am

Switch Pro controller on sale if you need one

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01NA ... 0DER&psc=1

tifosi77

Video Games

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Dec 11, 2019 11:15 am

Retro Replay is one of life's great joys, and it has been fun these last few months watching their 'definitive' playthroughs. Nolan North had never actually played an Uncharted game before this year, and they just did Drake's Fortune and are about 2/3 through Among Thieves. They just started a companion series with Troy Baker (primarily) playing The Last Of Us, but I've been moved to replay the UC games. So I banged out Fortune and Thieves last week, and I'm about 1/2 way through Drake's Deception right now; I'm playing the Collection, which is the remastered games for PS4, and I have to say that UC3's gameplay is a little bit jacked up. 1 and 2 were fine, but they reworked some of the mechanics for 3, and that didn't really translate well in the remaster.

That said, it's fun playing these games and reliving the adventures.

Spangler
Location: Spangler the t-shirt; Spangler the lunchbox; Spangler the flamethrower!

Video Games

Postby Spangler » Wed Dec 11, 2019 6:26 pm

Last night, though, I got dropped into a 6-on-6 game that took more than 45 minutes to play two periods (even with the accelerated clock) because 75% of the other players spent the entire time fighting. The only reason I stayed in the game is because when we actually did play hockey, I managed a goal and three assists and I figured one more miserable period was worth the experience. Nope. Connection dropped midway through the third period and that was 45+ minutes of my life I'll never get back.
I really loved the idea of 6-on-6 online hockey, but playing those games were the absolute most infuriating gaming experiences I've ever had - no exaggeration. Perhaps I'm to blame for expecting anything better, but I always tried to be a team player, and most players wanted none of it. Having played hockey myself, I always tried to play positionally, which was rare for anyone else to do the same. It got to the point, where I realized that it's just not healthy for me to play these games.

That being said, on the rare occasion you got a good group of evenly matched people, it was incredible.

shafnutz05

Video Games

Postby shafnutz05 » Thu Dec 12, 2019 6:52 am

I really loved the idea of 6-on-6 online hockey, but playing those games were the absolute most infuriating gaming experiences I've ever had - no exaggeration. Perhaps I'm to blame for expecting anything better, but I always tried to be a team player, and most players wanted none of it. Having played hockey myself, I always tried to play positionally, which was rare for anyone else to do the same.
Very well said.

Morkle

Video Games

Postby Morkle » Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:58 am

I only enjoyed it when we played it. Dropping in with randoms was agonizing.

nocera

Video Games

Postby nocera » Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:09 am

Drop-ins are always a mess. Really any multiplayer team game is a mess if you play with randoms. I experience the same thing in PUBG that I do in NHL when playing with a random squad. Everybody is out for themselves, there is zero communication because parties basically killed mic use, and strategy is nonexistent.

Now, when you get a team of friends, those games are the absolute best. 6 on 6 or PUBG squads with a party of friends has been some of the most fun experiences I've ever had gaming.

DigitalGypsy66

Video Games

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:19 am

Yes, the Battlefield series is agonizing (most of the time) when playing with randos.

So Battlefield V has a weekly content/drip feed system. A chapter in the Tides of War lasts about 3-4 months, and each week there is a content drop that you can unlock by performing tasks in game. Usually, there's 8-10 challenges you need to complete to get chapter XP (to get other tiered rewards) and then the weekly item. I think most games these days have a similar drop system.

So last week, I'm in a squad of randos on a smaller 32 player mode called Frontlines. 16 on 16, where every player is needed to capture a single objective and push the frontlines of battle back to objectives that a team must destroy (or defend). The game can go back and forth, and can be a lot of fun on balanced teams.

So this squad of randos is sitting in the back of the map blowing up gas cans/resupply stations, damaging each other, so they can get healing and revive points to finish the week's challenges. For two rounds, that's all they did. Meanwhile, we had at least 3 fewer people attempting to play the objective and help win...so we got steamrolled.

The tasks aren't difficult, and had they actually played the game properly, they would've finished the challenges quickly and got additional XP for you know, winning the rounds.

This **** happens all the time in that game, and it's very painful on smaller modes.

And then there are the individual weapons mastery assignments, which the upper level assignment tasks are "from a prone position, get 10 headshot kills in an objective area in one life OR 20 headshot kills in an objective area in one round." Ugh.

Morkle

Video Games

Postby Morkle » Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:26 am

That happens in Battlefield because often their challenges and tasks go against gameplay design. See, every freaking weapon challenge that requires you to get headshots from 50+ meters.

I haven't signed in since 5.2 dropped. I might check Wake Island and unlock the BAR tonight.

DigitalGypsy66

Video Games

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:32 am

Yeah, 5.2 isn't as bad as reddit and others have made it out to be. What irks me more than the BTK/TTK changes is the auto-spotting now, that seems to work through smoke (which I think is a bug). I liked how it was prior to this, but they have legitimate visibility issues with player models that drives new players away from the game. Instead of another visibility pass, they add an autospot function.

And evidently consoles got aim-assist back with 5.2 as well - which has been off or gone from the game since launch.

Morkle

Video Games

Postby Morkle » Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:45 am

Dude, they broke spotting, aim-assist is literally easy mode now, and the damage models are completely broken. They really tried to make this update casual-friendly, and it just turned me off completely. It's a shame what they've done to the Battlefield series.

I went back into BF4 the other day, and I was sad to see that we'll likely never get that many guns, customization options ever again.

DigitalGypsy66

Video Games

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Thu Dec 12, 2019 10:11 am

I'm on PC, so the aim assist isn't a thing - but the **** cheaters are horrendous. I had a run of 3-4 servers in a row with an obvious aimbotter. Going 120-1 by hipfiring the Lewis gun. Insane. Evidently, it's much worse on Asian servers, where cheating isn't frowned upon.

Then there's the teambalancing issues, which are bad on all platforms.

The spotting buff is awful, really a step back from what they promised at launch. All to cater to new players, to keep more players so they'll buy skins and level unlocks. Just stupid, and probably passed down from EA corporate like last year's TTK changes.

Remember attrition? With these new Pacific maps, there are resupply stations all over the place...every objective has up to three, where in the launch maps only the large objectives had that many. Ugh.

Morkle

Video Games

Postby Morkle » Thu Dec 12, 2019 11:44 am

Yea this game is likely putting its second foot in the grave for me. Which is a shame, because it took a year plus to get to battles everyone wanted.

DigitalGypsy66

Video Games

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Thu Dec 12, 2019 2:25 pm

Well, they announced some revisions to the nerfs, plus getting rid of some forms of passive spotting. And fixing the spotting through smoke, too.

tifosi77

Video Games

Postby tifosi77 » Thu Dec 12, 2019 2:42 pm

I'm on PC, so the aim assist isn't a thing - but the **** cheaters are horrendous. I had a run of 3-4 servers in a row with an obvious aimbotter. Going 120-1 by hipfiring the Lewis gun. Insane. Evidently, it's much worse on Asian servers, where cheating isn't frowned upon.
This is why I don't get online/multiplayer. I've only done it a couple times, and not even with shooters. But it just seems like the universe is populated almost entirely by cheaters, which if that's what gets your rocks off maybe just play the zombie apocalypse DLC for whatever game. I don't get what the attraction is to cheating in this fashion.

DigitalGypsy66

Video Games

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Thu Dec 12, 2019 2:56 pm

For me, the hackers - the obvious ones - are few and far between. Usually. In Asia, it's horrible. Every server has multiple obvious aimbotters.

I wish I had time/patience to learn and play other games. With Battlefield, I don't have to think much - just hop in and play.

tifosi77

Video Games

Postby tifosi77 » Thu Dec 12, 2019 3:06 pm

One time I remember playing Pro Evo Soccer with a coworker. We hopped online and got matched up with a profile that said it was a young kid in Brazil, and he obviously had a cheat that he'd figured out that allowed him to score right off the bat, and he then would just gain possession and run the ball to a corner and let time run out. (Which is a normal tactic in soccer) Every time we'd tackle him, we'd get a foul, and he'd just do the same thing again. Then one time we didn't get fouled for the tackle, and scored a goal right away to tie it up. And on the ensuing kickoff, we hard tackled him again also did not get fouled, and scored right away to go up 2-1. Then every time after that if he got within 5 feet of us he picked up a foul, and eventually got two players carded off. Then he rage quit before the end of the match.

It was obviously a glitch that we were not picking up fouls and penalties and he was getting them for doing nothing. But it was still entertaining, especially considering we were at work goofing off and he was probably in his favela mopping up his feijoada with four-day-old stale bread. (I keed; feijoada is amazing and I'm jealous of people who are eating it when I am not)

shafnutz05

Video Games

Postby shafnutz05 » Thu Dec 12, 2019 6:03 pm

The Brazilians are the fcking WORST on FIFA. Like holy sht are they obnoxious. They're pretty awful at Disney too :lol:

Lemon Berry Lobster

Video Games

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:18 pm

7-1, never forget

Lemon Berry Lobster

Video Games

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:35 pm

Morkle

Video Games

Postby Morkle » Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:42 pm

What a dumb name

tifosi77

Video Games

Postby tifosi77 » Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:46 pm

They just showed game capture footage at The Game Awards. Form factor of the device itself looks silly, and wasn't overly impressed with the gfx.

NTP66

Video Games

Postby NTP66 » Fri Dec 13, 2019 6:19 am

Glad I didn't wait. That thing's gonna push $600, if not more.

eddy

Video Games

Postby eddy » Fri Dec 13, 2019 6:40 am

Is that the Scarlett Xbox we've been hearing about?

NTP66

Video Games

Postby NTP66 » Fri Dec 13, 2019 6:41 am

Yep.

Kane

Video Games

Postby Kane » Fri Dec 13, 2019 8:23 am