Video Games

nocera

Video Games

Postby nocera » Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:53 am

I looked into it more. It's literally like a phone deal. You even need to pass a credit check first. I'll just buy it outright. Ain't nobody got time for that rent to own ****.

skullman80

Video Games

Postby skullman80 » Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:53 am

Source of the post I still don't understand the 299$ version at all... it seems pointless.

Not pointless at all. It's a more affordable system that will play the same games as the X, except at a lower resolution. No disk drive, a smaller ssd, and 1440P instead of native 4k. Parents are going to eat that **** up. Especially those who haven't upgraded to a 4K tv yet.
so no 4k, the SSD drive is tiny since it's a discless system... that thing is going to fill up with a few games. I get it's a lower entry point, but you might as well just keep the current Xbox, cause the tradeoff isn't worth it. You are going to have to get a bigger SSD almost immediately if you have lots of games.

I have a 4TB external HDD now for my PS4, and I have like 35 games on it roughly and it's over half full. 512GB SSD isn't going to cut it if you are going all digital. The install size and day one patches on current gen games are crazy... it's only going to larger on next gen systems.

nocera

Video Games

Postby nocera » Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:57 am

Source of the post You are going to have to get a bigger SSD almost immediately if you have lots of games.
I may be wrong, but I don't think Microsoft has confirmed if you're able to play Series X/S games off an external. You can use it for backwards compatible games but no word on new gen games yet. If you can't, Series S is an absolute no go.

DigitalGypsy66

Video Games

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:57 am

CoD Black Ops Cold War - if it's at all like Modern Warfare Warzone - will be about 200 GBs by itself.

The CoD subreddit is half joking about Activision shipping the new game on its own SSD, like a cartridge.

Seriously, my old 250gb SSD is basically a CoD drive at this point. :lol:

MR25

Video Games

Postby MR25 » Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:58 am

Source of the post You are going to have to get a bigger SSD almost immediately if you have lots of games.
I may be wrong, but I don't think Microsoft has confirmed if you're able to play Series X/S games off an external. You can use it for backwards compatible games but no word on new gen games yet. If you can't, Series S is an absolute no go.

But you can transfer them back and forth.

I realize that takes time, but it is a solution to the issue

nocera

Video Games

Postby nocera » Wed Sep 09, 2020 12:02 pm

But you can transfer them back and forth.

I realize that takes time, but it is a solution to the issue
Woof.

Morkle

Video Games

Postby Morkle » Wed Sep 09, 2020 12:10 pm

Can you not swap the SDD in the system?

Seems like that makes me go to the bigger one, immediately if not.

skullman80

Video Games

Postby skullman80 » Wed Sep 09, 2020 12:17 pm

Can you not swap the SDD in the system?

Seems like that makes me go to the bigger one, immediately if not.
I would assume you can swap out the SSD for a bigger one, but doesn't that just up the price point almost immediately? Looking quickly on Amazon a 2TB SSD Drive is about $200.

Also if you can't play games of an external HDD that would be an realllllllly dumb move, especially for a system with no disc drive.

Morkle

Video Games

Postby Morkle » Wed Sep 09, 2020 12:27 pm

Yea, I'm priced out of the system because I want to go digital only, but not with that small amount of HDD.

Still think I'm also going with the PS5 anyways.

the wicked child

Video Games

Postby the wicked child » Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:36 pm

Having a blast with Spider-man so far. As soon as I got through the first couple missions, I basically ignored the story and went around and fixed all the towers and got the backpacks, fighting crime as the opportunity presented itself.

It really feels great swinging around the city... they did an amazing job with that.

My only gripe so far is sometimes I find myself getting teabagged by melee weapons or brutes since they require special attention, but do not always like to give you enough time to do so. I'm sure it will get better as I play and improve my skills, but is occasionally annoying thus far.

Spangler
Location: Spangler the t-shirt; Spangler the lunchbox; Spangler the flamethrower!

Video Games

Postby Spangler » Thu Sep 10, 2020 2:38 am

I enjoyed Spider-Man a little less in the later parts of the game because enemies got even tougher and more annoying. I would get tired of fighting guys because it took longer and they were everywhere. Definitely enjoyed it more when you were fighting common thugs like it was another day for Spider-Man.

nocera

Video Games

Postby nocera » Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:19 am

Yea, I'm priced out of the system because I want to go digital only, but not with that small amount of HDD.

I'm assuming you're going with the digital edition PS5? Are the specs the same aside from the drive?

Morkle

Video Games

Postby Morkle » Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:38 am

I'm assuming you're going with the digital edition PS5? Are the specs the same aside from the drive?
As far as I know, yes.

nocera

Video Games

Postby nocera » Thu Sep 10, 2020 2:27 pm

Microsoft confirmed that you cannot play Series S games off an external drive. You can play current gen/backwards compatible but not games designed for X/S. Woof.

The good news: all current gen accessory will work with Series X/S including controllers and headsets. That's huge news for me since I have the elite controller and Astro A50s. No way would I repurchase those to get the Series X versions.

MR25

Video Games

Postby MR25 » Thu Sep 10, 2020 2:30 pm

I think the only thing they're adding to the new controller is a share button, at least from what I can see.

Rylan

Video Games

Postby Rylan » Thu Sep 10, 2020 2:30 pm

if you can't play off an external, that is a major deterrent for me.

Besides, i am likely aiming towards going with a PS5 anyways, but still.

nocera

Video Games

Postby nocera » Thu Sep 10, 2020 2:36 pm

I'm going to go with the Series X. The price of the S is enticing but with console generations lasting 7+ years these days, you need that 4K capability. Maybe around year 3 or 4 I'll pick up a PS5 and play catch up with the exclusives.

Spangler
Location: Spangler the t-shirt; Spangler the lunchbox; Spangler the flamethrower!

Video Games

Postby Spangler » Thu Sep 10, 2020 2:56 pm

I heard this generation isn't going to last as long as last generation. It will be more like the PS1 to PS2 generation. Don't remember where I read it.

nocera

Video Games

Postby nocera » Thu Sep 10, 2020 2:58 pm

I heard this generation isn't going to last as long as last generation. It will be more like the PS1 to PS2 generation. Don't remember where I read it.
They said the same thing about current gen not lasting as long as 360/PS4 gen. There will probably be a mid-gen upgrade halfway through similar to this gen.

Dickie Dunn

Video Games

Postby Dickie Dunn » Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:46 pm

Oh boy. I am not as good at Tony Hawk as I remembered.

Kane

Video Games

Postby Kane » Fri Sep 11, 2020 8:04 am

I feel like this would by my experience, too. :lol: Still makes me want to break out the N64 cartridges and give it a go again, though.

Morkle

Video Games

Postby Morkle » Fri Sep 11, 2020 8:18 am

It looks like they’re going with the “games as a service” model, which is alarming that tech will be retired faster.

iamjs
Location: "Hey, who needs hockey? Didn't the Steelers just win the Super Bowl?"

Video Games

Postby iamjs » Fri Sep 11, 2020 9:01 am

I feel like this would by my experience, too. :lol: Still makes me want to break out the N64 cartridges and give it a go again, though.
I noticed that I didn't remember much about the maps. Started watching a few old videos last night, and it looks like most of what I remember was THPS 3 and 4 and not so much 1 and 2. :lol:

Kane

Video Games

Postby Kane » Fri Sep 11, 2020 9:20 am

I noticed that I didn't remember much about the maps. Started watching a few old videos last night, and it looks like most of what I remember was THPS 3 and 4 and not so much 1 and 2. :lol:
I only remember bits and pieces, too. Definitely remember the warehouse in 1, but its fuzzy after that. Some kind of outdoor mall or school in 2, maybe?

Morkle

Video Games

Postby Morkle » Fri Sep 11, 2020 9:40 am

The school was my favorite THPS2 map. That leap of faith was so awesome, mostly because it seemed to come out with someone actually trying to do it when skateboarding was getting huge. Jamie Thomas on Zero.